Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Crewe Alexandra (H) League 1 Saturday 20/10/12.

Reports and reaction from the 2012-2013 season as Walsall finished 9th in League 1
Forum rules
no avoiding the language filter, no text speak, no breaking the rules
Lone Striker

Re: Crewe Alexandra (H) League 1 Saturday 20/10/12.

Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:41 pm

kshammer wrote:I'm a massive fan of trying to play how we are and hope we don't change but must say...

(a) Featherstone better have been jolly well injured. He more than anyone can remain calm and dictate the tempo. :evil:
(b) Why did we stop passing the ball when we went to 2-0? Aimless passes to one forward when ball retention was all that was needed. :evil:

Agree, the substitution of Featherstone was key today. The way he plays allows us to play out from the back by always being available to receive the ball in those deep positions, something that we have not had for years. Today when he went off we lost our ability to retain possession and particularly Butler started playing long balls due to a lack of short options. The system of three in midfield is when we keep possession the best, as in the first half today and last week, the difference being this week we scored the goals the performance deserved.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:44 pm

Pathetic.

We can't play for a full a 90 minutes and always gift our opponents at least one soft goal per game.

Yes we are playing nice football but its just not enough. Why is it that almost every time we are leading in a game would always end up hanging on for our lives come the last ten minutes?

We have taken just one point from games with Orient, Carlisle, Shrews and Crewe. All of those teams will be near the bottom end of the table come the end of the season.

Smith's decision making was just bizzare. Moving Taundry to left back? Bringing on the liability that is Perkiss when we are trying to hold a lead? Taking off Featherstone but leaving on Flo, Patterson and Baxendale who were all clearly knackered.

Is Walker fit or not? We need a goalkeeper that the defence have have confidence in.

Sorry if I sound overly negative but this result has infuriated me, mainly because it was so depressingly predictable.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:52 pm

pumajaguar wrote:Smith's decision making was just bizzare. Moving Taundry to left back? Bringing on the liability that is Perkiss when we are trying to hold a lead? Taking off Featherstone but leaving on Flo, Patterson and Baxendale who were all clearly knackered.

Are you serious? All Purkiss has done wrong this season is struggle to handle Matty Robson when we played Carlisle - a struggle most right backs in League One will have this year, I suspect.

Smith bringing Purkiss on was actually a decent thing to do - it was keeping Taundry on the pitch that ultimately cost us two points.
Last edited by WFC_Rob on Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:53 pm

King Crimson wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:
King Crimson wrote:International striker?

I think that's over-egging a few sub appearances for Northern Ireland.

Thats what his fan club call him and his totally unbiased best mate

I'm neither. I just see a young lad trying to find his way as a professional footballer who could probably do without such hyperbole to add to the pressure of being effectively a club's senior striker in his early twenties.

What he could do with - and Gorgeous George Bowerman too - is an old head to mentor them and chip in with the odd goal. No such luck.

An old head who could help them on the training ground . Could start games or come on when we are under pressure and need the ball to stick upfront. Think we had someone last season who did a similar job legs gone a bit but useful. Shame our wise manager let him go.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:04 pm

Graydon48 wrote:An old head who could help them on the training ground . Could start games or come on when we are under pressure and need the ball to stick upfront. Think we had someone last season who did a similar job legs gone a bit but useful. Shame our wise manager let him go.

Since the best Jon Macken has been able to do is one 10-minute sub appearance for Northwich Victoria in the Northern Premier League Division 1(S), five leagues below us, it seems our wise manager made the correct decision. Not replacing him, on the other hand...

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:24 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
pumajaguar wrote:Smith's decision making was just bizzare. Moving Taundry to left back? Bringing on the liability that is Perkiss when we are trying to hold a lead? Taking off Featherstone but leaving on Flo, Patterson and Baxendale who were all clearly knackered.

Are you serious? All Purkiss has done wrong this season is struggle to handle Matty Robson when we played Carlisle - a struggle most right backs in League One will have this year, I suspect.

Smith bringing Purkiss on was actually a decent thing to do - it was keeping Taundry on the pitch that ultimately cost us two points.

I haven't been impressed with Perkiss at all, we've conceded several goals from his flank and he always seems slow to react and close people down.

Garbinho

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:27 pm

I think two things cost us 3 points today:

1. Smith's inability to enact a suitable plan B - why go 4-4-2 and take off a defensive midfielder for a forward when you're winning?!
2. The panic that sets into our defence when we are leading in the last 10 minutes. I like Butler as a player but when it gets to the last 10 mins when we've got a lead he seems as if he's got to tackle every player and block every ball which leaves gaping holes at the back where he should be keeping his head and keeping his position. This seems to infect the rest of the team and we get things like Taylor diving in to give away what I thought was a blatant penalty and Taundry diving in for them to cross in for the equaliser. We need to be more composed when leading and not succumb to what looks like a massive weight on their shoulders when defending a lead.

We should have won today because they were there for the taking at 2-0. To give away a 2 goal lead once is unlucky, to do it 3 times so far this season is damn annoying.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:54 pm

When Baxendale, Featherstone, Flo and Paterson are in the same midfield they offer no physical protection for the defence when the chips are down because they simply don't have the physique to match up to the athletes and thugs that dominate other sides in this division.

It is made worse when Taundry is played at full back because due to his stature he is susceptible to the diagonal ball where he is outjumped and out muscled. Pogba just sat on him today and made him look stupid.

When you looked at the bench all we had was Purkiss to bring on. Bringing on Brandy and/or Hemmings would have made us even more lightweight. I was worried that the team would not last until Xmas, it seems they cannot even last 90 minutes. Its a crying shame because there are some good footballers at the Club but we need to add some steel in midfield and get someone like Pogba up front.

Smith has already wasted the Budget with too many diminutive players and compounded this by bringing in a goalkeeper no better than Grof. I just don't understand why we have a managerial pairing of Smith and O'Kelly when the latter is far more experienced. We only need one of those.

Bottom 6 - Smith Out, O'Kelly in

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:03 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

This

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:04 pm

pumajaguar wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

I haven't been impressed with Perkiss at all, we've conceded several goals from his flank and he always seems slow to react and close people down.

Its obvious you are not impressed with him as you cannot even get his name right :roll:

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:07 pm

OldPenkSaddler wrote:When Baxendale, Featherstone, Flo and Paterson are in the same midfield they offer no physical protection for the defence when the chips are down because they simply don't have the physique to match up to the athletes and thugs that dominate other sides in this division.

Don't agree with all you say but this bit is very true.

It's almost as though Bax/Featho/Flo/Patto are ok for first half but then need replacing in the second half when it becomes more about physical prowess. Bax and Patto are the weakest and so would always be my first choice to change.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:30 pm

longdogs wrote:
Graydon48 wrote:An old head who could help them on the training ground . Could start games or come on when we are under pressure and need the ball to stick upfront. Think we had someone last season who did a similar job legs gone a bit but useful. Shame our wise manager let him go.

Since the best Jon Macken has been able to do is one 10-minute sub appearance for Northwich Victoria in the Northern Premier League Division 1(S), five leagues below us, it seems our wise manager made the correct decision. Not replacing him, on the other hand...

He only signed for them last week so I guessing he's not quite match fit.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:00 am

Just seen that goal, Ben Purkiss oh dear, he plays in concrete boots. :?

KoloSaddler
Glitterati

Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:02 am

What about that tosser Taundry falling over . Full backs where both to blame.

fatboyslim
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:31 am

ihatethecorps wrote:
Graydon48 wrote:
ihatethecorps wrote:although WG had a good game by n' large today he completely proved he is not a goalscorer or a natural finisher in almost comical fashion, it is definately a see it to believe it moment :oops:

Are you saying Bowerman isnt a natural finisher as well ? He missed an identical chance at Shrewsbury .

Are you serious? GB knew exactly what he wanted to do but unfortunately it didnt come off with the help of a good save, WG just looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights with no idea what to do. If you was not there then you need to see the highlights and he cannot be defended for such a balls up.

I don't even have to comment anymore and you still get shot down....starting to think it might be you're judgement :wink:

Only person to say Grigg didn't play well today....

KoloSaddler
Glitterati

Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:17 am

I thought Grigg and Chambers where pushing for MOTM awards as well.

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:11 am

I'm still too angry to comment. Apart from this comment obviously. :evil: :evil: :evil:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:51 am

Please point out where I said he didnt play well? Infact I think you will find I said his overall game was good hes just hopeless as a goalscorer :roll:

longdogs
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:22 am

Graydon48 wrote:
longdogs wrote:Since the best Jon Macken has been able to do is one 10-minute sub appearance for Northwich Victoria in the Northern Premier League Division 1(S), five leagues below us, it seems our wise manager made the correct decision. Not replacing him, on the other hand...

He only signed for them last week so I guessing he's not quite match fit.

No, you're probably right. But he's been without a club since we released him in May, and I can't help thinking that if he was capable of playing at our level someone higher than Northwich would have picked him up by now.

bush360
UTS Regular

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:29 am

Just seen the goals on replay, we seem unable to close out a game, we stopped playing when we went two up, one wonders whether we are fit. we seem to play so well for the first 30 minutes then we drift and again, the second half we became non existant
Thinking of moving to the other end of the ground as the game is always played up there :D
Why take Featherstone off and switch Taundry was very tactically inept, take Grigg off and let George run at them for 30 mins was a better option.
Most managers who want to sit on a lead switch to 4 5 1, we go to 4 4 2 Why?

mossa

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:39 am

Still fuming although I fully expected 2-2 when we stupidly let Crewe back into it at the end of the first half. I just dont understand how we can be so dominant for the first 30-35 mins of both halfs and then suddenly let Crewe dominate the rest of each half. It is either because we think the job is done or we panic. Either way this is bad management and needs addressing but i'm not sure Deano has this ability. By now we know Deanos strengths and weaknesses. What he does well he does very well but what he does bad he does very bad, I cant see this changing. His subs yesterday were beyound belief. Featherstone was playing very well and has that carmness on the ball which we needed towards the end, why on earth did he take him off? I would have rather him have taken Flo off who despite clearly being IMO MOTM looked tired and was very quiet the last 20 mins. Taundry looked comfortable the first half but had an absolute shocker in the second half, giving the ball away all the time. I prefer Purkiss to be honest, i dont see what he has done wrong to be dropped.
Knowing Walsall I wouldnt be surprised if we get something at Sheff UTD, similar to last season we seem to be doing better against the better teams. Very frustrating club to follow and on another point why oh why have we still not got another striker yet at least on loan, we desperately need a target man type, nearly every club in this division has one. He doesnt neccessarily have to start either but like yesterday would have been ideal to bring on and hold up the ball rather than bringing on Bowerman who barely touched the ball.Rant over for now.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:09 am

Simple mistakes that just ain't fitting for a professional football club. We are supposed to play for 90 minutes Smith not for 40 odd, pull your finger out and get this team to see games out properly. How ball crushingly frustrating is it to see decent periods of play ruined by them then spending half a game flapping

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:41 am

KoloSaddler wrote:What about that tosser Taundry falling over . Full backs where both to blame.

Yep, but where is the Ben Purkiss vitriol? :roll:

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:50 am

Selective abuse there me thinks

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:07 am

derbysaddler wrote:Selective abuse there me thinks

You said it.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:14 am

ihatethecorps wrote:
pumajaguar wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Its obvious you are not impressed with him as you cannot even get his name right :roll:

And that is relevant to my point how?

On the evidence of what I've seen this season PERKISS is simply not League One standard.

I don't hold him responsible for yesterday's result, I was simply saying he is the last player I would bring on if my team was under pressure and desperately trying to hold a lead because he just isn't very good.
Last edited by pumajaguar on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:19 am

Saarland Saddler wrote:Pathetic

That's what i said.It's bad enough to throw away a 2 goal lead once in a season, we've done it 3 times before November!!!!!!!!!

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:21 am

philthesaddler wrote:Saarland is right, taking featherstone off and going 4 in midfield lost us 2 points.

Additionally, our fitness is not good enough, for the last 25 minutes they were blowing out of their backsides.

All this pretty passing football is well and good but we're not clinical, we lack a presence upfront and we're easy to work out - all you have to do is squeeze up on cuvelier, Paterson and baxendale and our passing game falls to bits.

Totally agree, we just can't finish teams off! If we scored enough goals which the chances we create merit, we wouldn't need to worry about the defence.

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:23 am

philthesaddler wrote:
WFC Rob wrote:We might be playing really, really good football in spells, but we resorted back to the Walsall of 2011 for an hour today, which isn't good enough. Smith needs to see that no wins in five isn't a case of bad luck - it's a case of the personnel/system/tactics blend being wide of the mark.

Exactly.

And it's not just Smith that annoys me with this "we were unlucky" mentality. The players demonstrate it aswell on Twitter and the like.

Like you say, going 5 games without a win, 5 games without a clean sheet, it's actually 9 games without a clean sheet and 5 games with only 6 goals is not bad luck. Its quality of players, tactics, fitness.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:35 am

That's the point, neither Purkiss or Taundry are good enough consistently for this league, yet people love to point out just one of them. They both need replacing.

PreviousNext
Return to 2012-13 Season