Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Prediction League 1 2012-13: A New Season!!

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Prediction League 1 2012-13: A New Season!!

Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:20 pm

Afternoon ladies and gentlemen,

It's that time of year again - the return of the prediction league for our league 1 season! For those who are new to the site or not aware of what it is, it is basically a fun, no holds barred (!) prediction competition between posters on here based on predicting the correct result / scoreline of 3 league one fixtures of your choice from each fixture week (can be a Saturday or midweek set of fixtures). After 46 weeks we see who the winner is! Anyone and everyone is free to enter and as the weeks unfold, you'll see it get pretty fractious and tactical on here between people (he he!) There is also a 'sister' FA Cup competition that runs alongside it through the season as well. Below are the final tables from last season's competitions to remind people of who won / where you finished. I'll be starting the week 1 fixtures thread in a short while.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Re: Prediction League 1 2012-13: A New Season!!

Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:25 pm

Ooooh goody

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:06 pm

Can't wait for Saigon Saddler's ritual humiliation after his freak result last season. :mrgreen:

Now, if only I pick all the games this year...

2011-2012 Points per round:
2.261 - Saigon Saddler the inferior
2.279 - Exile

Flemish Saddler
Prediction Master

Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:25 pm

About last season: I really appreciate Duke by doing his best to stay behind me, think it was more difficult than winning the competition.... :cry: :wink:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:50 am

I have been named at least 45 times in this thread and the week one thread so far. This is due to a mixture of REVERENCE, AWE and FEAR!

Saigon of Saddler Master of the Universe
Hark, how our steeds for present service neigh!

DAUPHIN
Mount them, and make incision in their hides,
That their hot blood may spin in UTS eyes, ha!

Messenger
The predictors are embattled, you noble peers.

Saigon of Saddler Emperor of the Galaxy
To horse, you gallant princes! straight to horse!
Do but behold yon poor and starved band,
And your fair show shall suck away their souls,
Leaving them but the shales and husks of men
There is not work enough for all our hands;
Scarce blood enough in all their sickly veins
To give each naked curtle-axe a stain
That our gallant Saigon shall to-day draw out,
And sheathe for lack of sport: let us but blow on them,
The vapour of our valour will o'erturn them.
What's to say?
A very little little let us do.
And all is done. Then let the trumpets sound
The tucket sonance and the note to mount;
For our approach shall so much dare the field
That UTS shall couch down in fear and yield.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:52 am

Exile wrote:Can't wait for Saigon Saddler's ritual humiliation after his freak result last season. :mrgreen:

2.279 - Exile

Wasn't going to bother including this particular table in my intro to this year's comp, but as you've mentioned it...

:wink:

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:53 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:I have been named at least 45 times in this thread and the week one thread so far. This is due to a mixture of REVERENCE, AWE and FEAR!

Saigon of Saddler Master of the Universe
Hark, how our steeds for present service neigh!

DAUPHIN
Mount them, and make incision in their hides,
That their hot blood may spin in UTS eyes, ha!

Messenger
The predictors are embattled, you noble peers.

Saigon of Saddler Emperor of the Galaxy
To horse, you gallant princes! straight to horse!
Do but behold yon poor and starved band,
And your fair show shall suck away their souls,
Leaving them but the shales and husks of men
There is not work enough for all our hands;
Scarce blood enough in all their sickly veins
To give each naked curtle-axe a stain
That our gallant Saigon shall to-day draw out,
And sheathe for lack of sport: let us but blow on them,
The vapour of our valour will o'erturn them.
What's to say?
A very little little let us do.
And all is done. Then let the trumpets sound
The tucket sonance and the note to mount;
For our approach shall so much dare the field
That UTS shall couch down in fear and yield.

:x

I'm banning all this nonsense from prediction threads this season! :? :wink:

Greg Oxley
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:08 am

How do we sign up?

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:13 am

Greg Oxley wrote:How do we sign up?

Just post your prediction on the week 1 prediction thread and you're in!

After that, if you can pm your address, bank details and mothers maiden name and I can then sort out your entrance fee. :wink:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:58 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:
Greg Oxley wrote:How do we sign up?

Just post your prediction on the week 1 prediction thread and you're in!

After that, if you can pm your address, bank details and mothers maiden name and I can then sort out your entrance fee. :wink:

Its on occasions like this that Forums need a 'Like" button

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:51 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:I have been named at least 45 times in this thread and the week one thread so far. This, I am coming to realise, is due to the continued contempt in which I am held by those other predictors who still choose to sully their time on UTS by posting in the same threads as I after I cheated everyone out of points when wresting control of the competition from my Flemish friend.

I understand my arrogance and actions are the source of all discord and I apologise fully and whole-heartedly for my selfishness and lack of respect for my fellow posters.

I humbly beg forgiveness from everyone; without this the taste of my solitary and freakish victory is as ashes in my mouth and my solo and unheralded song of triumph sticks in my throat as a cockroach inhaled in sleep.

Fixed that for you. :mrgreen:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:27 pm

Exile wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:I have been named at least 45 times in this thread and the week one thread so far. This, I am coming to realise, is due to the continued contempt in which I am held by those other predictors who still choose to sully their time on UTS by posting in the same threads as I after I cheated everyone out of points when wresting control of the competition from my Flemish friend.

I understand my arrogance and actions are the source of all discord and I apologise fully and whole-heartedly for my selfishness and lack of respect for my fellow posters.

I humbly beg forgiveness from everyone; without this the taste of my solitary and freakish victory is as ashes in my mouth and my solo and unheralded song of triumph sticks in my throat as a cockroach inhaled in sleep.

Fixed that for you. :mrgreen:

I can't recall writing that!? :D

Surprised no-one has spotted the source for the quotes, context and requiste response yet. Perhaps the hapless Manchester can assist. :D

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:00 pm

Exile wrote:Can't wait for Saigon Saddler's ritual humiliation after his freak result last season. :mrgreen:

2.279 - Exile

It's like saying: I am the greatest soldier in the world! Akin to a grizzled veteran in the desert rats of the 8th Army chasing fleeing Italians across the North African desert while avoiding the more 'disagreeable' elements of Tobruk, Al Alamein and The Kasserine Pass*

Thus, any insecure predictor can make hay from predicting easy weeks where big teams are playing at home, while carefully avoiding the much more difficult Tuesday night mid-table predictions where everything is much more variable and much more skill required in teasing out results.

Finish above me for the first time ever and I shall raise an eyebrow exactly 4mm in acclaim. :D

*T'was the yanks I know.....

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:08 am

Can't wait for you to out score my PPG total for the first time ever, Saigon. Admit it, your trousers get browner and browner till I miss a week, as my inexorable and relentless efficiency and correctness over time grinds you down.

In fact, do you have another posting name, and is that chair in the marketplace yours?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:04 pm

Exile wrote:Can't wait for you to out score...... my trousers get browner and browner till I miss a week,as my inexorable and relentless efficiency and correctness over time grinds you down.

In fact, do you have another posting name, and is that
chair in the marketplaceyours

:D

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:12 pm

Just returned from Spain and, true to form, the over-confident egomaniacal pervert that is Saigon Saddler fills yet another thread with pointless drivel.

Just ignore the bluster and ball cocks that spouts forth from this poor misguided wretch and watch him eat his own bull droppings (or worse) when he fails miserably to live up to the reputation he has so poorly sewn for himself.

Game On!!!!

:D

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:17 am

Morning all! Here is the table after yesterday's opening games (although we know that none of it means anything until after 10 games!!).
A good number of people joined in the fun, let's hope you can all stay the course! All tied scores are listed purely in alphabetical order.
Well done to Exile and FBIG for winning the week with 4 points. Only one blob, but it is very early days yet!
I'll be keeping a record of week winners so if there is any need for a count back etc in the event of people being level on points after week 46, then I can make a clear call on it!

Week 2 (Tuesday) is already up and running, so keep the predictions coming.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:26 am

Well done Exile!!

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:29 am

Peaked too soon! :mrgreen:

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:26 am

Exile wrote:Peaked too soon! :mrgreen:

Story of your life, eh, Exile?

:D :wink:

Rob Harvey
Glitterati

Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:19 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:Morning all! Here is the table after yesterday's opening games (although we know that none of it means anything until after 10 games!!).
A good number of people joined in the fun, let's hope you can all stay the course! All tied scores are listed purely in alphabetical order.
Well done to Exile and FBIG for winning the week with 4 points. Only one blob, but it is very early days yet!
I'll be keeping a record of week winners so if there is any need for a count back etc in the event of people being level on points after week 46, then I can make a clear call on it!

Week 2 (Tuesday) is already up and running, so keep the predictions coming.

I'm off to a cracking start! Remember ladies and gentlemen, it's a marathon, not a sprint :P

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:30 pm

I have a major issue with this table. :|

I am not top, and even worse, I appear to have been misplaced below serial prediction losers: Exile, King Crimson etc and even Manchester. Please attend to this staggering example of provinical incompetence at once! :x

Furthermore, may I please have the traditional red beautification and underlining applied to my name that denotes previous supreme winners. The absence of such renders my monumental achievements less visible to the various assorted also-rans currently attempting to 'compete' in this competition. However, perhaps you are preparing some special annotation that marks the epic final and unbeatable tally of 104 points. A considerable size increase of my name along with an abbreviation of my title of: Master of the universe, emperor of the galaxy, Imperial Prediction Overlord or 'Predictional Regent and Imperial Conquering Kollosus' etc should suffice.

I await the prompt correction of the table and glorification of my legendary name with an impatience almost unbecoming of my supreme and almost godlike predictional status.

Anyway, please attend to it expediently. :idea:
Regards. :|

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:12 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:I have a major issue with this table. :|

I am not top, and even worse, I appear to have been misplaced below serial prediction losers: Exile, King Crimson etc and even Manchester. Please attend to this staggering example of provinical incompetence at once! :x

Furthermore, may I please have the traditional red beautification and underlining applied to my name that denotes previous supreme winners. The absence of such renders my monumental achievements less visible to the various assorted also-rans currently attempting to 'compete' in this competition. However, perhaps you are preparing some special annotation that marks the epic final and unbeatable tally of 104 points. A considerable size increase of my name along with an abbreviation of my title of: Master of the universe, emperor of the galaxy, Imperial Prediction Overlord or 'Predictional Regent and Imperial Conquering Kollosus' etc should suffice.

I await the prompt correction of the table and glorification of my legendary name with an impatience almost unbecoming of my supreme and almost godlike predictional status.

Sorry, I stopped reading after a line and a half.
What was the main point? :wink:

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:47 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:I have a major issue with this table. :|

A sad and pathetic plea from a tragic wretch.

Like JJ I dozed after the first line of dross but forced myself to read to the very end.

And then I laughed.

:lol:

Can I just ask - what is it you are drinking? I think I want one of those - though knowing your lascivious tastes I don't think I'll bother.

:wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:47 pm

Zzzzzz.

How about for the fifteenth placed person we just put Gaylord in red, bold letters instead of all that dross that won't fit in the box unless you use 2 point font.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:51 pm

Exile wrote:Zzzzzz.

How about for the fifteenth placed person we just put Gaylord in red, bold letters instead of all that dross that won't fit in the box unless you use 2 point font.

If you ay top in the first week, you ay anything. ;)

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:56 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:

:mrgreen:

To be fair to his royal gaylordship, he is improving in his week one performances. Last year he managed 26th and the year before reached the dizzy heights of 30th!

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:58 pm

Exile wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:

:mrgreen:

To be fair to his royal gaylordship, he is improving in his week one performances. Last year he managed 26th and the year before reached the dizzy heights of 30th!

Yow talking about Manc or Saigon? Both seep period blood like the limited edition Swiss Cheese Bodyform.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:26 pm

Here is the week 2 table after last night's results. Notts County's result was a massive help for a lot of people!
Well done to King Crimson who scored 5 points to win this week. Unfortunate zeros go to kiansmom, canadiansaddler, livingthedream, and FBIG. Lots of movement up and down the table so check out where you are now!

Week 3 prediction thread is up and running.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:10 pm

Next
Return to UTS Classics