Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

The Euro 2012 Thread

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

The Euro 2012 Thread

Wed May 30, 2012 6:59 pm

Euro 2012 comments, reaction, news & gossip in here. Enjoy!

Exile
Jobsworth

Re: The Euro 2012 Thread

Wed May 30, 2012 8:30 pm

Lampard injured in training. Just news or serious stuff?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

The Euro 2012 Thread

Wed May 30, 2012 8:33 pm

Exile wrote:Lampard injured in training. Just news or serious stuff?

Got a scan pending apparently. Probably just having trouble passing a family bucket.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed May 30, 2012 11:39 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:

Got a scan pending apparently. Probably just having trouble passing a family bucket.

Probably out, if the stories are right. Lucky Jordan Henderson... :shock:

bangsection
Site Addict

The Euro 2012 Thread

Thu May 31, 2012 4:03 am

Given the number of England midfielders who are injured or unavailable I have worked out that if any more get crocked then Dean Keates is actually next in line for a call up.

With a team built around Keatesy and Jordan Henderson (with Tom Bennett available as an impact sub) I think we've got a decent chance of winning it.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

The Euro 2012 Thread

Thu May 31, 2012 5:00 am

Exile wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:

Probably out, if the stories are right. Lucky Jordan Henderson... :shock:

Henderson and Downing get to play for England :(

Willenhall Saddler
UTS Legend

Location: Anywhere where Walsall FC are playing, i'll be there!

Thu May 31, 2012 6:58 am

I thought the whole concept of picking players for England were to pick players who have actually done well for their respective clubs.Now what have Downing & Henderson done to merit playing for England?

ciscokid
UTS Legend

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:57 pm

Willenhall Saddler wrote:I thought the whole concept of picking players for England were to pick players who have actually done well for their respective clubs.Now what have Downing & Henderson done to merit playing for England?

The only answer I can possibly suggest, is that they are someones love child at the FA. Couple this with a "Yes Man" in Roy H and you have the answer :roll:

bangsection
Site Addict

The Euro 2012 Thread

Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:24 pm

This selection of Downing is bizarre isn't it? Completely out of left field (no pun intended).

What's that? He's played in every one of England's last eleven games? Ah. Why are people surprised that he's in the squad? Because he's had a poor season? So has Gerrard and he's been made captain. At least Downing isn't carrying a long term injury.

This is a Hodgson team. Hodgson selects players who are positionally disciplined. That is one of the reasons that Downing is preferred to Adam Johnson. Beyond that, who's next in line that isn't an untried gamble?

People need to understand that the statements "Stewart Downing is an average player who has had a poor season" and "Stewart Downing is the best left sided midfielder currently available to England", while pretty depressing, are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:44 pm

ciscokid wrote:
Willenhall Saddler wrote:I thought the whole concept of picking players for England were to pick players who have actually done well for their respective clubs.Now what have Downing & Henderson done to merit playing for England?

The only answer I can possibly suggest, is that they are someones love child at the FA. Couple this with a "Yes Man" in Roy H and you have the answer :roll:

For gods sake it aint took you long to form an opinion has it, give the bloke a chance................you never know!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:15 pm

PINNACLE wrote:
ciscokid wrote:

For gods sake it aint took you long to form an opinion has it, give the bloke a chance................you never know!

By "yes man", I can only assume he means not fixated by brown envelopes and Monaco-based banking, not supremely arrogant or mad as a box of faith healer's frogs.

Perhaps he's a decent man, experienced coach, and articulate individual who may prove a decent manager for a country where the gap between expectations and expertise is a chasm.

ciscokid
UTS Legend

Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:20 pm

PINNACLE wrote:
ciscokid wrote:

:lol: :lol:
Yes you never know, but the people's choice didn't get the job. The F.A in their wisdom have gone for the safe option in Roy H. I have nothing against him as a manager, but when I see the likes of Henderson and Downing get in the squad, I question why.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

The Euro 2012 Thread

Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:26 pm

Harry Redknapp is as suspect tactically as his tax records. Hodgson may not be the people's choice, but at least he has a plan.

Can't understand Downing, though.

ciscokid
UTS Legend

Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:31 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Harry Redknapp is as suspect tactically as his tax records. Hodgson may not be the people's choice, but at least he has a plan.

Spurs finished 4th in the Premier League and were unlucky to miss out on a Champions League place, and according to many, played some of the most attractive football. Not bad for a tactically inept manager :roll:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

The Euro 2012 Thread

Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:34 pm

ciscokid wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Harry Redknapp is as suspect tactically as his tax records. Hodgson may not be the people's choice, but at least he has a plan.

Spurs finished 4th in the Premier League and were unlucky to miss out on a Champions League place, and according to many, played some of the most attractive football. Not bad for a tactically inept manager :roll:

After keeping pace with the Manchester clubs for a lot of the season, scraping 4th was great. Also, he played Bale on the right and Modric on wing. Genius.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:19 pm

ciscokid wrote:... when I see the likes of Henderson and Downing get in the squad, I question why.

Could it be that Hodgson has no-one else to choose from, bearing in mind the absence of Wilshere, Lampard, Barry, etc.?

... and all of this the result of the greed and short-sightedness of the clubs in the Greedy Pigs' League and a pathetic, lily-livered F.A. which won't stand up to them. No wonder the development of English players has been stifled. :evil:

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:22 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
ciscokid wrote:... when I see the likes of Henderson and Downing get in the squad, I question why.

Could it be that Hodgson has no-one else to choose from, bearing in mind the absence of Wilshere, Lampard, Barry, etc.?

... and all of this the result of the greed and short-sightedness of the clubs in the Greedy Pigs' League and a pathetic, lily-livered F.A. which won't stand up to them. No wonder the development of English players has been stifled. :evil:

What he said.

ciscokid
UTS Legend

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:33 pm

Pedagogue wrote:

IMO there are many players who could/should have been ahead of Henderson and Downing. I'm not questioning Hodgsons ability, however, I believe the F.A bare pressure with the selection process of the England team.

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:11 am

ciscokid wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:
ciscokid wrote:

Yes you never know, but the people's choice didn't get the job. The F.A in their wisdom have gone for the safe option in Roy H. I have nothing against him as a manager, but when I see the likes of Henderson and Downing get in the squad, I question why.

What people and what choice are you on about ?
If its my choice (being as i am one of the people ?) then i think the right decision has been made, but only time and circumstance will tell !
If you are on about a certain Mr Harry Redknap, I (being one of the said people) would not touch him with a barge pole, could not care a toss about so called dodgy dealings. He has done well with spurs and fair play to him.............but...........Roy H gets my vote and only history will tell whether its right or wrong. We are not expected to progress further than the QF, SF on a good day, do You really think that HR can do better than RH in such a short space of time ?
Get your head out of the red tops and have an opinion of your own, it really is easy you know... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by PINNACLE on Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

The Euro 2012 Thread

Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:48 am

All this people's choice bollocks with Redknapp does my head in. I know of about five people who wanted him. Not saying that they all wanted Hodgson, but from my opinion and experience, he was the media's choice.

ciscokid
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:59 am

PINNACLE wrote:
ciscokid wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:
ciscokid wrote:

If its my choice (being as i am one of the people ?) then i think the right decision has been made, but only time and circumstance will tell !
If you are on about a certain Mr Harry Redknap, I (being one of the said people) would not touch him with a barge pole, could not care a toss about so called dodgy dealings. He has done well with spurs and fair play to him.............but...........Roy H gets my vote and only history will tell whether its right or wrong. We are not expected to progress further than the QF, SF on a good day, do You really think that HR can do better than RH in such a short space of time ?
Get your head out of the red tops and have an opinion of your own, it really is easy you know... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Be careful you don't slip off the small soap box. :lol:
My choice would be HR, but it's not to be, but I'm not displeased with RH, at least he's English
The Tax evasion argument is old hat, and the truth be told, there are many self employed Joe Blogs individuals guilty of this crime anyway
If you read my posts, I'm indicating how the F.A. appear to manipulate the England Manager's choices.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:23 am

ciscokid wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:
ciscokid wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:
ciscokid wrote:[quote="Willenhall Saddler"]I thought the whole concept of picking players for England were to pick players who have actually done well for their respective clubs.Now what have Downing & Henderson done to merit playing for England?

Be careful you don't slip off the small soap box. :lol:
My choice would be HR, but it's not to be, but I'm not displeased with RH, at least he's English
The Tax evasion argument is old hat, and the truth be told, there are many self employed Joe Blogs individuals guilty of this crime anyway
If you read my posts, I'm indicating how the F.A. appear to manipulate the England Manager's choices.[/quote]
How do they do that?

ciscokid
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:56 am

They are his employers aren't they. :wink:

bangsection
Site Addict

The Euro 2012 Thread

Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:26 am

Tell you what boils my urine. Players who refuse to play for their country if they don't make the initial squad.

First Carrick throws his toys out and asks not to be named as a reserve, now we learn that Micah Richards is apparently refusing to be considered as a potential replacement for Gary Cahill for the same reason. Arrogance of the most misplaced and selfish kind. I'd ban them from playing for England ever again.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

The Euro 2012 Thread

Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:33 am

Add Foster and Robinson to the list.

My piss also boils at them. Not got a problem with the likes of Shearer and Scholes, though.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:17 pm

Micah Richards should be playing rugby, he's just a northern dollop

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:44 pm

saddlerken wrote:Micah Richards should be playing rugby, he's just a northern dollop

Actually, he's a Brummie by birth, although he was raised in dirty Leeds.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:17 pm

Exile wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

What he said.

What they said.

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:45 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:
Exile wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

What he said.

What they said.

What he said, that they said, about whatever it was that ciscokid said, about something that Pinnacle said.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:48 am

See Ferdinand and his agent whining about him not going to the Euros.
Man up you big cry baby!

Next
Return to England Highs & Lows