Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Smoking ban at Bescot

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...

What do you think?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:13 am

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes : 83
WSOne
UTS Regular

Smoking ban at Bescot

Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:13 am

This should 'ignite' an interesting debate!

I'm for the ban...

Smithywfc
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:25 am

Its a yes for me, dont like anything about smoking its horrible.

Ace

Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:32 am

Attendances are low as it is, we could do without narrowing it down further. Keep smoking!

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:51 am

No-one should have to inhale someone else's second-hand smoke.

I used to be a heavy smoker in my 20s, now I just can't believe how selfish I, as a smoker, must have been back then.

Ban it, in ALL public places, get it done and sorted everywhere and it will be accepted in next to no time.

Play at it like Blair's lot are doing, and the element of choice could ruin some establishments, while others thrive on this soft Government's total lack of the will and the bottle to end it once and for all !

:evil: :evil:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:36 am

Smoking stinks!

And I don't like it!

sean511
UTS Regular

Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:35 am

i want the ban. nothings worse than sitting next to someone smoking and blowing it all over you

sj
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:40 am

Goeff-- you are acting like the newly converted, moral high ground self-righteous stuff. I'm agin you on two points me old pal. Firstly on a practical note, if you light up next to me it is very very unlikely that I will breath in any of your smoke. There is always a draft/wind in the bescot moving the air around.

Secondly and more importantly, the attitude you reflect is one of intolerance for the needs/feelings of others. Taken to its logical conclusion they become the new social scapegoats, the unclean, those with the problem. The problem that must be eradicated. and you know where that can lead.

Sorry lads but this type of social outlook is fraught with dangers for all of us, please dont let it inflict our peaceful little club.

I dont smoke

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:40 am

there are loads of no smoking areas at Bescot so you have a choice
i do smoke
Last edited by Duke on Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flemish Saddler
Prediction Master

Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:41 am

i'm also for the ban but would be ok if there are a few blocks where you are allowed to smoke and not like now : a few where you can't smoke. It should really be the other way!!

Overhere they thank people in advance for not smoking (it is allowed though) and must say it helps a lot!!!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:21 am

sj wrote:Goeff-- you are acting like the newly converted, moral high ground self-righteous stuff. I'm agin you on two points me old pal. Firstly on a practical note, if you light up next to me it is very very unlikely that I will breath in any of your smoke. There is always a draft/wind in the bescot moving the air around.

Secondly and more importantly, the attitude you reflect is one of intolerance for the needs/feelings of others. Taken to its logical conclusion they become the new social scapegoats, the unclean, those with the problem. The problem that must be eradicated. and you know where that can lead.

Sorry lads but this type of social outlook is fraught with dangers for all of us, please dont let it inflict our peaceful little club.

I dont smoke

All of which is true but smoking is hazardous to health and can kill.

All smokers should hang :idea:

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:37 am

rubbish saigon

what happend to freedom of choice if you dont smoke sit in no smoking areas end of

mass bloody murders are not hanged these days they should be

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:39 am

To be honest, psychologically, smoking is absolutely pointless and essentially for weak minded individuals (but not all) who cant a) stop and b) were too weak to say no in the first place. Not a problem with people who can actually say they have stopped, as that shows character.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:55 am

DAVEDEAN wrote:rubbish saigon

what happend to freedom of choice if you dont smoke sit in no smoking areas end of

I retract the part about hanging smokers, but smoking does harm and it effects everyone else too. I sit in the lower F2Go in an attempt to enjoy the carnival atmos at Bescot :roll: I don't want to be exposed to carcenogenic smoke when there's enough of that from the motorway.

Hamstead Red

Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:17 am

Ban it asap , i always cop for the stinking smoker , and its no good saying you dont get a lung full because the drafts take the smoke away because it doesnt work like that , it blows into somebodys face it may not be the person right next to you , It amazes me how you smokers dont realise just how obnoxious your habit is . :x

popperpancake

Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:18 am

How exactly will it ruin some establishments Geoff? I don't understand.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:19 am

Put them all in a cage.... :roll:

popperpancake

Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:28 am

Just have smoking and no smoking areas! It's really simple. People who want to smoke go to the smoking areas. People who don't go to the non smoking areas. Apply this to any public place. People who don't want to work in a place where there is smoking, don't apply for a job there. The 3 biggest killers in the developed world are firstly smoking, secondly raised blood pressure and thirdly alcohol. Now has anything happened recently with alcohol supply? I smoke and am in favour of 24hr licensing. People have to take personal responsibility for their health. There is a strange contradiction between attitudes towards drinking and smoking at the moment.

Zippy
Glitterati

Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:50 am

popperpancake wrote:Just have smoking and no smoking areas! It's really simple. People who want to smoke go to the smoking areas. People who don't go to the non smoking areas. Apply this to any public place. People who don't want to work in a place where there is smoking, don't apply for a job there. The 3 biggest killers in the developed world are firstly smoking, secondly raised blood pressure and thirdly alcohol. Now has anything happened recently with alcohol supply? I smoke and am in favour of 24hr licensing. People have to take personal responsibility for their health. There is a strange contradiction between attitudes towards drinking and smoking at the moment.

Absolutely spot on.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:51 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:there are loads of no smoking areas at Bescot so you have a choice
i do smoke

Where? F2Go is only "No-smoking" inside. Not sure if Family stand is ? But the F2Go is all "smoking"

Flemish Saddler
Prediction Master

Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:55 pm

aldridge steve wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:there are loads of no smoking areas at Bescot so you have a choice
i do smoke

Where? F2Go is only "No-smoking" inside. Not sure if Family stand is ? But the F2Go is all "smoking"

From official site: Non-smoking: F2Go Upper NU1, 6 and 7; Middle NM1,2 and 6.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:23 pm

duvelken wrote:
aldridge steve wrote:
i do smoke

From official site: Non-smoking: F2Go Upper NU1, 6 and 7; Middle NM1,2 and 6.

correct

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:25 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:rubbish saigon

I retract the part about hanging smokers, but smoking does harm and it effects everyone else too. I sit in the lower F2Go in an attempt to enjoy the carnival atmos at Bescot :roll: I don't want to be exposed to carcenogenic smoke when there's enough of that from the motorway.

lets have a ban on cars then

HKSaddler
the "fececious" one

Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:25 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:To be honest, psychologically, smoking is absolutely pointless and essentially for weak minded individuals (but not all) who cant a) stop and b) were too weak to say no in the first place. Not a problem with people who can actually say they have stopped, as that shows character.

If you wish to make an argument, do it, don't stoop to petty insults.

Many past-times are essentially pointless. This does not mean that the individual involved doesn't derive enjoyment, satisfaction or whatever from that pass-time. Personally the only point of listening to loud extremely heavy rock music is the same as banging my head against a wall. This doesn't mean I would insult you as a simpleton for not sharing my taste in music.

I started smoking about 25 years ago at the age of 14. Although there were known hazards, they weren't as widely discussed as today. Also, as with many (if not all) young people, I was convinced of my own immortality. Many people older than me would be even less well informed of the issues when they took up smoking.

I have tried to give up on many occasions, sometimes with more success than others. I gave up for 9 months on one occasion a few years ago. I missed it. I went through a stressful time due to starting my own company. I resorted to something with which I was comfortable. This may make me weak in your mind, but it enabled me to get through and come out with a successful business. My business is based around computing, statistics and probability: not, in my opinion, areas for the "weak-minded". However, I could be wrong.

Ban smoking everywhere if you wish, I accept that my habit is not socially acceptable today. But remember that some smokers are bright, intelligent, entertaining, good company and sociable. Also remember that spouting abuse is unlikely to get them on your side. It is also the best way to motivate people such as myself to smoke. It may motivate some to even more harsh responses.

One of the banes of my life is that many in the health lobby view smokers as some sort of anti-Christ; the evil of the world.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:30 pm

good post common sense HK Saddler

Ian Gittins

Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:31 pm

I would ban it because it's such an anti-social, selfish habit, and can give other people fatal illnesses - a fairly strong argument, I would think. But I guess I wouldn't be against smoking areas tucked somewhere well away from other fans, although I'm not sure where it would be.

Ian Gittins

Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:34 pm

sj wrote:Goeff-- you are acting like the newly converted, moral high ground self-righteous stuff. I'm agin you on two points me old pal. Firstly on a practical note, if you light up next to me it is very very unlikely that I will breath in any of your smoke. There is always a draft/wind in the bescot moving the air around.

I dont smoke

I take your point, sj, and I'm all for live and let live, but I think the big difference you miss here is that smoking is actively unpleasant for the people sitting round the smoker, and the health dangers of passive smoking are well establised.

Personally, I think it's a shame Tony Blair bottled the all-out smoking ban in pubs, where the health risks are far worse than an open-air football ground, where cigarette smoke is a nuisance but not too much more.

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:36 pm

I don't understand the "non-smoking" sections because smoke travels..
The smoke doesn't stay in the smoking sections it follows the wind, therefore I'm for a ban.

popperpancake

Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:39 pm

Smoking and no smoking premises solve the whole debate. It is that simple!

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:41 pm

HKSaddler wrote:
wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:To be honest, psychologically, smoking is absolutely pointless and essentially for weak minded individuals (but not all) who cant a) stop and b) were too weak to say no in the first place. Not a problem with people who can actually say they have stopped, as that shows character.

If you wish to make an argument, do it, don't stoop to petty insults.

Many past-times are essentially pointless. This does not mean that the individual involved doesn't derive enjoyment, satisfaction or whatever from that pass-time. Personally the only point of listening to loud extremely heavy rock music is the same as banging my head against a wall. This doesn't mean I would insult you as a simpleton for not sharing my taste in music.

I started smoking about 25 years ago at the age of 14. Although there were known hazards, they weren't as widely discussed as today. Also, as with many (if not all) young people, I was convinced of my own immortality. Many people older than me would be even less well informed of the issues when they took up smoking.

I have tried to give up on many occasions, sometimes with more success than others. I gave up for 9 months on one occasion a few years ago. I missed it. I went through a stressful time due to starting my own company. I resorted to something with which I was comfortable. This may make me weak in your mind, but it enabled me to get through and come out with a successful business. My business is based around computing, statistics and probability: not, in my opinion, areas for the "weak-minded". However, I could be wrong.

Ban smoking everywhere if you wish, I accept that my habit is not socially acceptable today. But remember that some smokers are bright, intelligent, entertaining, good company and sociable. Also remember that spouting abuse is unlikely to get them on your side. It is also the best way to motivate people such as myself to smoke. It may motivate some to even more harsh responses.

One of the banes of my life is that many in the health lobby view smokers as some sort of anti-Christ; the evil of the world.

Sorry if i insulted you HK, but i have had some experiences over the past 2 years of which things have happened, all down to smoking, which is why I have a very strong view it, as anyone would in the situation i suppose. Probably weak minded is too strong and not correct, i do not detract what i said about it being pointless however.

I think as Geoff says, we shall see a ban in all publuc areas, which I think is correct.

Oh and secondly it is not 'extremely loud rock music' which i listen to. I listen to power metal, for those who dont know what that is; Power metal is ballad like in some cases, more metal in some instances, of proper talented musicians, who are among the most talented in the world :wink: But that is another debate in itself! :lol:

HKSaddler
the "fececious" one

Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:52 pm

I guessed you weren't deliberately insulting me, but you have to be careful bandying around words like simple minded.

You would need to define public areas before I would accept that your proposed ban is acceptable.

Next
Return to UTS Classics