Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Questions to send to Roy and co

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
bangsection
Site Addict

Re: Questions to send to Roy and co

Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:26 pm

The implied threat of libel action from Whalley shows how desperate and despicable the autocracy at Bescot has become.

It is also entirely baseless.

There is nothing in the original questions that implies any form of illegal activity - Whalley brings this up himself. Even British libel law (which is notoriously biased towards the plaintiff) would struggle to find against someone for something that was actually written by the supposed injured party!

As the questions (the supposedly controversial part of the correspondence) are already available on this site there is no reason not to publish Whalley's jaw-droppingly disingenuous response in full (beyond a little more fund-raising of course).

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:24 pm

Zippy wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:The problem is, Paul, they have NEVER answered the questions about pre-1994 - and they never will. All we ever get is "spin" that would make even Alastair Campbell blush! That, and the veiled threats of legal action, prompt many people to think that certain people have something to hide.

Have some people got nothing better to worry about, other than questions going back 15 years ago.

:roll:

Have you not got anything better to worry about than rubbishing peoples concerns about the future of our football club?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:57 am

Nortoncanesred wrote:When that 15 year old question is still costing you £1000 a day today, it's still a problem :roll:

^^^^^^^
In a nutshell.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:18 am

What a joke of a thread!
Post your questions FREE, get your answers for PAYMENT!

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:25 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:What a joke of a thread!

Or more precisely post your questions at someone elses expense and expect the answers for free.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:44 am

PJD wrote:

Or more precisely post your questions at someone elses expense and expect the answers for free.

So then PJD, you only use web sites you pay for, is that correct?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:48 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
PJD wrote:

So then PJD, you only use web sites you pay for, is that correct?

I bet you do :wink:

Zippy
Glitterati

Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:56 am

Pedagogue wrote:Zippy - some of us are capable of looking further than the ends of our own noses. The root causes of our present problems date back to the 1986-94 period. We "papered over the cracks" with a couple of promotions at the turn of the century but, underneath, the financial problems were steadily growing (in direct proportion to a certain pension fund). Now we can see the results of the failure to address the underlying problems much earlier (or, better still, stop them occurring in the first place). I am VERY pessimistic about the club's financial future. Things can only get worse, in my opinion. Shoving your head in the sand and hoping that it will all go away is not going to help, Zippy. I know you are a genuine supporter, Zip - how do you see our way out of the growing financial crisis?

I wish that we had the Internet, 25 years ago. The glare of publicity might have prevented all of this happening. We needed to treat the cause of the problem, not just the symptoms.

One answer is not to stayaway.

The stayaways are only damaging the playing budget. But, having said that, we know that we have always been poorly supported.

As for the 'rent' issue, some of you may wonder why i'm not jumping on the bandwagon. Well, the way I see it is, if JWB wasn't the landlord someone else would be. Maybe a property company, a utilities company, foreign manaement company etc.

So we would still paying the rent. Would you be not be as bothered if we were paying XYZ Consortium the rent?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:00 am

Zippy wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:Zippy - some of us are capable of looking further than the ends of our own noses. The root causes of our present problems date back to the 1986-94 period. We "papered over the cracks" with a couple of promotions at the turn of the century but, underneath, the financial problems were steadily growing (in direct proportion to a certain pension fund). Now we can see the results of the failure to address the underlying problems much earlier (or, better still, stop them occurring in the first place). I am VERY pessimistic about the club's financial future. Things can only get worse, in my opinion. Shoving your head in the sand and hoping that it will all go away is not going to help, Zippy. I know you are a genuine supporter, Zip - how do you see our way out of the growing financial crisis?

I wish that we had the Internet, 25 years ago. The glare of publicity might have prevented all of this happening. We needed to treat the cause of the problem, not just the symptoms.

The stayaways are only damaging the playing budget. But, having said that, we know that we have always been poorly supported.

As for the 'rent' issue, some of you may wonder why i'm not jumping on the bandwagon. Well, the way I see it is, if JWB wasn't the landlord someone else would be. Maybe a property company, a utilities company, foreign manaement company etc.

So we would still paying the rent. Would you be not be as bothered if we were paying XYZ Consortium the rent?

With regards to your last point, Zip - I don't think people would be as bothered. Annoyed? Yes - we'd still be paying a sizeable amount for land we could've easily acquired in '89. But you have to think in the context that we are being chaired by "our biggest fan." The same "biggest fan" who says he has not taken a penny in salary but then never retorts or gets questioned by our limp local media that he's taken out £3m in rent. Again from a strip of land the club could've bought during the Fellows Park deal.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:03 am

Zippy wrote:

The point that you are missing Zippy is that we should not be paying rent to anyone - the freehold of the land should belong to the football club.

JW Bonser "pickpocketed" (not in an illegal sense I must add :mrgreen: ) it from the club and has since taken the £3M in rent.

Would our number one fan do such a thing?

Will our number one fan donate it back to the club on retirement?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:09 am

chestersaddler wrote:
The point that you are missing Zippy is that we should not be paying rent to anyone - the freehold of the land should belong to the football club.

JW Bonser "pickpocketed" (not in an illegal sense I must add :mrgreen: ) it from the club and has since taken the £3M in rent.

True - it should've done but ineptitude meant it's gone.

He didn't ever do owt illegal. In the cold light of business it's a fantastic move quite honestly.

No - considering fans across the country are putting money INTO their club.

He can't.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:21 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

True - it should've done but ineptitude meant it's gone.

He didn't ever do owt illegal. In the cold light of business it's a fantastic move quite honestly.

No - considering fans across the country are putting money INTO their club.

He can't.

If JWB was taking a salary and / or a dividend from the club, I wonder if people would be so hostile towards him? As you say, it was a fantastic piece of business for him but it leaves such a bad taste in the mouths of the fans, particularly those who were actively involved in the campaign to save the club at that time.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:25 am

chestersaddler wrote:If JWB was taking a salary and / or a dividend from the club, I wonder if people would be so hostile towards him? As you say, it was a fantastic piece of business for him but it leaves such a bad taste in the mouths of the fans, particularly those who were actively involved in the campaign to save the club at that time.

No I don't think they would, but the reason is that once he had left the club we wouldn't have to continue paying it - as we will with the rent. It's the future that worries me the most.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:26 am

I doubt they would. For me at least the bugbear is the hypocrisy of him claiming he is Walsall's biggest fan and never taking a salary while he has knowingly deprived the club of £3m for his own fortune.

I didn't see him when we lost 5-0 at Colchester and I didn't see him at Notts' County when we went up (because he wasn't there.)

I don't class him as a fan, supporter or lover of Walsall. I class him as an oppurtunist who tried to fake his way into Walsall - our problem is is that we were all too late to do much about it.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:11 pm

Zippy wrote:As for the 'rent' issue, some of you may wonder why I'm not jumping on the bandwagon. Well, the way I see it is, if JWB weren't the landlord someone else would be. Maybe a property company, a utilities company, foreign management company etc.

Zippy - you have totally missed the point. As others have said, above - WE SHOULD NOT EVEN BE TENANTS!!! We owned Fellows Park, the freehold of Bescot was available at an affordable price and the question of who our landlord should be ought to be irrelevant. However, thanks to the opportunism (greed?) of one so-called fan of the club, our financial future looks miserable. Whoever takes over from JWB may/will be even worse but who is responsible for that situation arising? One man, and one man only.

Zippy
Glitterati

Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:32 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Zippy wrote:As for the 'rent' issue, some of you may wonder why I'm not jumping on the bandwagon. Well, the way I see it is, if JWB weren't the landlord someone else would be. Maybe a property company, a utilities company, foreign management company etc.

Zippy - you have totally missed the point. As others have said, above - WE SHOULD NOT EVEN BE TENANTS!!! We owned Fellows Park, the freehold of Bescot was available at an affordable price and the question of who our landlord should be ought to be irrelevant. However, thanks to the opportunism (greed?) of one so-called fan of the club, our financial future looks miserable. Whoever takes over from JWB may/will be even worse but who is responsible for that situation arising? One man, and one man only.

Ok Pedy, so what's the answer then?

Oust the present chairman, and bring in A. N. Other.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:50 pm

The answer is....If you loved what was Walsall FC, and thoroughly enjoyed supporting it, then forget it. Those days are over.

If you want you can go along and pretend those days arn't over, spend your money, drink some lager, talk about the old days with some nice people, then go and watch some meaningless, over-priced trash that helps keep a few miserable staff and a few overpaid board members in lucre.

If you want meaningful, competitive football in the borough of Walsall then try elsewhere. Rushall Olympic for example - they've already won an FA cup tie this season, I guarantee if you are wasting money watching Pension Fund FC, you will be very pleasantly surprised.And if you are not then just go back to PFFC.

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:17 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:The answer is....If you loved what was Walsall FC, and thoroughly enjoyed supporting it, then forget it. Those days are over.

If you want you can go along and pretend those days arn't over, spend your money, drink some lager, talk about the old days with some nice people, then go and watch some meaningless, over-priced trash that helps keep a few miserable staff and a few overpaid board members in lucre.

If you want meaningful, competitive football in the borough of Walsall then try elsewhere. Rushall Olympic for example - they've already won an FA cup tie this season, I guarantee if you are wasting money watching Pension Fund FC, you will be very pleasantly surprised.And if you are not then just go back to PFFC.

A sad but true statement.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:29 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:If you want meaningful, competitive football in the borough of Walsall then try elsewhere. Rushall Olympic for example - they've already won an FA cup tie this season. I guarantee if you are wasting money watching Pension Fund FC, you will be very pleasantly surprised and if you are not then just go back to PFFC.

For those not making the trip out to East Anglia, Rushall Olympic are at home to Loughborough Dynamo, this Saturday, k.o. 3-00 p.m. Updates from Carrow Road can be seen on the telly in the club bar - oh, and they do sell chips at Dales Lane! :D

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:11 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Geordiesaddler wrote:If you want meaningful, competitive football in the borough of Walsall then try elsewhere. Rushall Olympic for example - they've already won an FA cup tie this season. I guarantee if you are wasting money watching Pension Fund FC, you will be very pleasantly surprised and if you are not then just go back to PFFC.

For those not making the trip out to East Anglia, Rushall Olympic are at home to Loughborough Dynamo, this Saturday, k.o. 3-00 p.m. Updates from Carrow Road can be seen on the telly in the club bar - oh, and they do sell chips at Dales Lane! :D

And you can take your beer outside to watch the game!! :wink:

yoda
Site Addict

Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:43 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:The answer is....If you loved what was Walsall FC, and thoroughly enjoyed supporting it, then forget it. Those days are over.

This post fascinates me for all the right reasons, probably because its the only thing we can do as fans to show how upset we are.

But if we are all forgetting about Walsall FC, why are we still here on this board?

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:01 pm

Because we ARE Walsall FC in tradition and spirit. Its football fans that make football clubs, not businessmen. Businessmen destroy football clubs, how many times has that happened up and down the years?

I don't watch Pension Fund FC because In my opinion they don't represent the traditions and spirit of Walsall FC. All this modern day clap-trap about businesses and ownership. The business side of any football club should support the football side. At Bescot the football club supports the business side, and in particular the financial sef-interest of one man. Wallett can bleat all he wants about diverse income streams and infrastructure of Bescot compared to Fellows Park.

Logic leads me to ask 2 questions of this stance. 1) Why are we broadly in the same position (football wise) as we were at Fellows Park? 2) Who paid for the infrastructure? Answer to question 2 is Walsall FC. Its our money, our father's and in some cases grandfather's money that sustained Walsall FC for 100 years prior to Bescot's existance. That money is the very stuff that raised the current site. Most people who own businesses do so for their financial gain, but said ownership comes about by aither founding it, using one's own resources, or buying it at market value. If any indivudual had purchased Walsall FC Limited at a market value that included the actual value of the Fellows Park site in 1989, they wouldn't have got much change out of £5.5m.

Also without the football side of things where would the patronage of the current business arise? Its supporters and friends of the club that pour money in via useage of the facilities and through sponsorship. Take that away and you're left with a Sunday market and a conference suite, wow very diverse!

I'm a football enthusiast and as such I long for the day when football is free from the Jeff Bonser's of this world, so if talking about it on this excellent forum helps in an tiny way so much the better.

yoda
Site Addict

Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:13 pm

So how far do you take it? You come on here and you obviously watch out for the results. Do you attend away games?

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:48 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:Because we ARE Walsall FC in tradition and spirit. Its football fans that make football clubs, not businessmen. Businessmen destroy football clubs, how many times has that happened up and down the years?

I don't watch Pension Fund FC because In my opinion they don't represent the traditions and spirit of Walsall FC. All this modern day clap-trap about businesses and ownership. The business side of any football club should support the football side. At Bescot the football club supports the business side, and in particular the financial sef-interest of one man. Wallett can bleat all he wants about diverse income streams and infrastructure of Bescot compared to Fellows Park.

Logic leads me to ask 2 questions of this stance. 1) Why are we broadly in the same position (football wise) as we were at Fellows Park? 2) Who paid for the infrastructure? Answer to question 2 is Walsall FC. Its our money, our father's and in some cases grandfather's money that sustained Walsall FC for 100 years prior to Bescot's existance. That money is the very stuff that raised the current site. Most people who own businesses do so for their financial gain, but said ownership comes about by aither founding it, using one's own resources, or buying it at market value. If any indivudual had purchased Walsall FC Limited at a market value that included the actual value of the Fellows Park site in 1989, they wouldn't have got much change out of £5.5m.

Also without the football side of things where would the patronage of the current business arise? Its supporters and friends of the club that pour money in via useage of the facilities and through sponsorship. Take that away and you're left with a Sunday market and a conference suite, wow very diverse!

I'm a football enthusiast and as such I long for the day when football is free from the Jeff Bonser's of this world, so if talking about it on this excellent forum helps in an tiny way so much the better.

Excellent post Geordie

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:37 pm

yoda wrote:So how far do you take it? You come on here and you obviously watch out for the results. Do you attend away games?

No I no longer attend any Walsall games.

Until 2 years ago I went everywhere, including Brighton, Gillingham, Millwall, and Orient away to name but a few.

Its a total myth that I have suddenly started watching non-league footy.

In the 80's Pelsall Villa's mid-week date was Monday night, so as a resident of Pelsall I used to go and watch them.

Likewise when I moved up north my first game was Walsall away at Darlington, but the week after I went to watch Whitley Bay and within weeks I was appointed their press officer and later commercial manager.

Purely down to enthusiasm for football.

How far do you take it?

That's a question for jeff Bonser. he's the one pushing it and pushing people like me out of Walsall FC while he gets a few more quid in the pension pot.

The man is a total charlatan, and while he owns it the football club is a total charlatan.

More fool anyone that can't see it.

yoda
Site Addict

Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:25 pm

Ive always liked the lower leagues, though I dont usually tout it on here, I'd like to take the opportunity to encourage anyone who hasnt to give it a try.

Ok the qualitys not great but at Bedworth United its £4 in, friendly folk, you can smoke and drink on the terraces and watch 22 men charge round like nobodys business. If nothing else its a great day out for the cheap beer in the clubhouse!

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:14 pm

yoda wrote:Ive always liked the lower leagues, though I dont usually tout it on here, I'd like to take the opportunity to encourage anyone who hasnt to give it a try.

Ok the qualitys not great but at Bedworth United its £4 in, friendly folk, you can smoke and drink on the terraces and watch 22 men charge round like nobodys business. If nothing else its a great day out for the cheap beer in the clubhouse!

Sounds like Fellows Park when I first started going, except I think it was only 50p to get in :mrgreen:

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:28 pm

That's exactly what its like BS!

You also tend to see greater continuity of service from more local players, and that makes things more interesting. Just like Walsall V Chesterfield was always about Buckley versus Ernie Moss tyoe of thing. I also think its the only "place" in football where the FA Cup retains its magic, and people look upon it as the holy grail, just as we used to in the lower leagues.

In you want to have any old fashioned banter with professional players these days, expect either a tirade of snarling abuse or a quizical look from some foreign bloke.

The other great thing is the absence of namby pamby health and safety. Yes folks plastic bottle tops are not regarded as lethal weapons, you can smoke or move away from someone who is smoking if you want, stand behind the goal for the last 20 minutes when the pressure of an important goal is building, go for a pint, mingle with opposition supporters, let the kids run loose without any fear of harm or being reported to social services, take you own food without contravening subsection 4.8 of the European directive on movement of foodstuffs between the outside world and football stadia, tell the players off for swearing and recieve an apology, get thanked by the manager for going to away games etc etc.

Its great, I love it. Replica kit currently drying in a force 8 gale in rediness for tonight's encounter with two times world cup winners West Auckland Town.

If its nil nil I'll get a protrait of Jeff Bonser and hang it in my shop window with the word's "Our Saviour" underneath.

There hasn't been a goaless draw in a league fixture at Hillheads Park since April 2003.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:37 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:Because we ARE Walsall FC in tradition and spirit. Its football fans that make football clubs, not businessmen. Businessmen destroy football clubs, how many times has that happened up and down the years?

Superb

yoda
Site Addict

Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:07 pm

Nicely summed up why I like Bedworth. Theres a lot of common sense at that level, like you say bottle tops arent considered lethal weapons. I think it stems down to the fact your appreciated. At higher levels they know theres usually more fans waiting no matter how they treat you.

PreviousNext
Return to UTS Classics