Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Should we have sacked Colin Lee?

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...

should we have sacked Colin Lee?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:26 pm

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes : 46
YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:31 pm

I couldnt give a toss, its NOW that matters. Lets not do a sheffield wednesday eh, getting 20 years down the line and still contemplating if we should have sacked the clown!
Why we are doing stupid historic polls-

Should we have invaded Germany?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:40 pm

Exactly. No need raking over old ground. See what sim city says then leave this thread alone.

ShropsSaddler

Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:53 pm

It's not a fair question to ask now anyway. Of course, with hindsight, we should not have sacked Lee when we did. There were 2 options - sack him earlier and get a decent manager in or leave him in place. But, at the time, despite what people on here are saying, the MAJORITY of the crowd wanted him out. It appeared that he'd lost the support of the Chairman, the crowd and, from the displays they gave, the players.

I do wish people would stop these pathetic ramblings about how the "Anti-Lee Brigade" disliked him because he was ex-Wolves. I didn't like Lee in the end because his tactics were boring and negative and the football we played failed to inspire me. For me, watching Walsall is entertainment. I know the club is a business and has to make business decisions but for me, it's my hobby. I come along to enjoy and be entertained. Lee's team in the 2nd half of last season were far from doing that. The fact that he was ex-Wolves was irrelevant. Doesn't bother me at all. Nothing would have made me happier in the past than for Steve Bull to have played the last 2/3 years of his career at Walsall - and you can't get much more Wolves than that!

As I say, hindsight is marvellous. Sacking Lee and appointing Merson is the worst thing to have happened to this club in a long while but it was welcomed by the majority at the time.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:01 pm

Ian Gittins wrote:I think it was ludicrous to sack Lee, and I think the "fans" who turned on him when we were halfway up the league above this one are largely to blame for our current plight

Ian, blaming the fans again, pathetic. Where on Earth can you draw that ridiculous conclusion from? Who sacked him? Muppet!!!!!!!

Sydney Saddler

Tipton Saddler

Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:19 pm

Percie,

That would have to be the dumbest comeback that I have had the misfortune to read on this message board since it started eight years ago. So what that I live 400 yards from a beach in one of the world's most beautiful cities? That does not make my opinion any less informed than yours. Shall I change my name to Tipton Saddler? Would that make my views more palatable? Either make a sensible point or leave your keyboard alone. Good points from Ian, Shrops and Wednesbury. I do not agree with all of them but they are valid and worthy of debate. You could learn from them, Percie. Finally, I was a home and away regular for 15 years. And, no, that does not make me Alf Stewart before someone does the obvious gag. I once sat next to the actor who plays him on a train from North Sydney to Central. I stopped myself calling him a Flaming Galah, though! Home and Away is filmed just up the road. Summer Bay does not exist in real life. It is Palm Beach in disguise.
Last edited by Sydney Saddler on Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:57 pm

Donald "Flathead" Fisher?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:58 pm

Talking of Home and Away, that Kate Ritchie (Sally) can go a bit! Has anyone seen her "video"?

Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:48 pm

If Sally is the one im thinking of, she is most deffinately an expert in growing a pair of tits.

coxanddrummie(a man who knows how to grow a penis)

Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:50 pm

What i meant by that is the ability to grow my own penis, not another mans. Im not gay

coxanddrummie(not even bi curious)

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:03 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Talking of Home and Away, that Kate Ritchie (Sally) can go a bit! Has anyone seen her "video"?

Without acknowleding what 'videos' I've seen, she can move quite well can't she. Quite a nice figure from behind as well. :twisted:

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:05 pm

I love workout video's :wink:

I think I might get Barbara Windsors next

Sydney Saddler

Sally

Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:52 am

Sally, or should I say Kate Ritchie, was a non-voting judge at Miss World last month. She is dating a rugby league player with a footballer's reputation. His name is Chris Walker and he got thrown off Queensland's State of Origin team for bad behaviour. Neither Tom nor Pippa would approve of him.

My in-laws try and get themselves in the shot when Seven films Home and Away one block up from where they live. It is a lovely part of the world.

Staffs_ Saddler

Colin Lee

Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:28 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Of course we should have not sacked the MOST SUCCESSFUL WALSALL MANAGER EVER. Bad timing, in fact abysmal timing.
We would not have gone down if he would have stayed to the end of season. Losing by 5 goals to Norwich! Cost us our survival.

Sheff,

Lift your head out of your arse for a few minutes will you!
FACT bad timing? yes I agree it was terrible timing for our best manager of all time to take his focus away from Walsall in a relegation dogfight and not only talk to Plymouth but go and watch them play. If he got the job and walked out would you still feel the same? He should have stuck to the job and said to Plymouth only a few games to the end of the season We are struggling right now, I am interested in talking to you but can it wait for a few weeks. He would have recieved so much respect from both clubs if he had done this.

You cannot say the Norwich game cost us relegation, its as stupid as saying its the strikers fault for not scoring enough goals in the season!!

Your problem Sheffield Saddler is that you blame everything and everyone except Colin Lee yet he was the manager that decided to look elswhere in our final hours of need and how you can still defend him is behond human believe. Maybe he would have pulled it off but we will never know.

This thread is old news and complete nonsence, I suggest you start living in the future and get behind the new Manager who due to the fact Our greatest manager of all time over spent the budget is doing a good job. It is no fault of PM that your boyfriend got the sack!

Staffs_Saddler

geoff skillet
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:35 pm

there were 3 problems with Colin Lee's sacking:

1. It was too late.
2. The way it was handled, resulting in a pay-off, following the rolling contract farce.
3. His replacement.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:48 pm

geoff skillet wrote:there were 3 problems with Colin Lee's sacking:

1. It was too late.
2. The way it was handled, resulting in a pay-off, following the rolling contract farce.
3. His replacement.

Bang on Geoff! Couldn't agree more.

Ian Gittins

Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:52 pm

There was a piece in the Independent last week about the high turnover of managers in 2004 that pinpointed Lee's dismissal as inexplicable and bizarre, given that Bonser had given Plymouth Lee's phone number and encouraged them to talk to him. As the collapse of the non-court case showed, it wasn't as simple as Lee betraying us, but more a question of Machiavellian manouveres by a panicking Bonser.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:14 pm

Staffs. I have heard one or two things about CL (at the end of his tenure) that paint him in a poor light, and I have no reason to suspect that the stuff I've heard isn't true. However, just for the benefit of thickies like me can you describe the mechanism by which CL was allowed to spend this years budget? I work in finance and I can't get my head round how this happened other than CL having total control of the finances.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:31 pm

This one does seem to be taking on a life of its own, doesn't it? I presume the basic premise is that Lee asked Bonser for more money and he said yes. That is not the same thing as spending this year's budget, but what some people on here are continually begging Bonser to do, speculate. He did and it's now apparantly wrong!

David Potter

Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:36 pm

Staffs_Saddler,

I've got to defend Sheff a little here.

It's Bonser, not Lee that's accountable.

He (Bonser) granted Plymouth permission to converse with Lee, he also has an obligation to infiorm Lee of the approach by Plymouth. One can't blame Lee for talking to them, who wouldn't want to manage their home club.
Bonser could have easily put this to rest in one brief sentence. "Diabolical timing, Plymouth. We're in a huge relegation battle here and permission to speak with our manager is denied at this time."
Bonser then informs Lee of HIS decision and the reasoning behind it...end of story!

Sorry, JB's definitely culpable here.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:38 pm

I think that Lee had to go (and voted that way) the moment he decided to go and watch Plymouth, not just apply for the job, while we were in the middle of a relegation scrap. If he'd have put his application in and forgot about it while sorting us out, fair enough, but he didn't.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:44 pm

Well that is the scenario I imagine too Neil, in which case it is Bonser that spent this year's budget, not that it matters because as we all know not all of this years budget was spent as we currently have one of the biggest squads in the division on our "budgetless" payroll, including most of the 12 signings that Merson has made.

Unless of course Merson is spending next years budget, In which case whoever is manager next year will have to spend the budget for 2006, and we can blame Merson for spending next year's budget this year.

Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:14 pm

I agree with the last few posts as they all make good sense, in answer to the budget I think you will find by over-spending in Colin Lee's last year in charge has had a knock on effect with the budget for this year. I would also like to remind you that Colin Lee was interviewed when he extended his contract that he said he was going to more involved in the financial side of the club, but as you say I am sure Mr Bonser has to have some blame.

geoff skillet
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:01 pm

nice one saddlerken.

despite Colin Lee's unpleasant behaviour, poor style of play etc. there is no doubt that Jeff Bonser should not have:

A. Allowed him to spend money he didn't have (unless JB was going to dip into his deep pockets).
B. Given him a rolling contract, and therefore allowed him to claim more compensation. Colin Lee had clearly lost his way before his new contract was awarded.

Previous
Return to UTS Classics