Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Euro 2008

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Euro 2008

Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:28 pm

Cheating should be beaten out of the modern game. It detracts from the spectacle.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:02 pm

Portugal v Germany was another game where 2 dodgy defebces came up against eachother. I take comments about either side being exceptional going forward with a pinch of salt because they were both shoddy at the back. Portugal lost because they were the more naive of the two. I'd love to say that England would beat either side but frankly, we're not good enough at the back to make up for the fact that we have so little creativity going forward.

As for Ronaldo, the European Championships have proved to me that he's not the best player in the world.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:46 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Portugal v Germany was another game where 2 dodgy defebces came up against eachother. I take comments about either side being exceptional going forward with a pinch of salt because they were both shoddy at the back. Portugal lost because they were the more naive of the two. I'd love to say that England would beat either side but frankly, we're not good enough at the back to make up for the fact that we have so little creativity going forward.

As for Ronaldo, the European Championships have proved to me that he's not the best player in the world.

Absolutely spot on mate!

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:14 am

Despite the result I enjoyed the game. I was impressed by Ballack and Schweinsteiger from Germany and Deco and Bosingwa from Portugal. Ronaldo had a quiet game but I thought he was still dangerous at times.

Let's see how they fair against Croatia (assuming they beat the Turks).

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:38 am

Exile wrote:Cheating should be beaten out of the modern game. It detracts from the spectacle.

While true, I actually think this tournament has been much more sporting than ones in the past. There appears to have been less diving and play-acting, although last night's game did show that it is still ingrained in certain players - Ballack, Lehmann and Ronaldo in particular. The refereeing has been superb by and large and the fact we've only had two red cards (both for players losing their heads in the dying minutes of the game) is evidence of that. There has been a more willing attitude for players to get on with the game by taking quick free-kicks and anyone who rolls around on the floor desperate for attention is quietly ignored.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:55 am

I liked the game, right though, the bias towards Portugal and Ronaldo in particular has been nothing short of a verbal love-in.

He wasnt even the best Portuguese player. Deco, Bosingwa (Chelsea in signing a decent player shock?) and Moutinho have all been better.

[modded - language. Again. Poster should know better and is close to a warning]

Meh, warnings are homosexual
Last edited by Fray Bentos is God! on Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

SWS1

Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:28 pm

Is it just me

or does anybody else think Germany are always that bit lucky? Or are they just efficient because they can convert the few chances they get? Yesterday, they had fewer of all the match stats against Portugal (except fouls, where they committed more) were played off the park for long periods, but still got 3 goals.
I like to see Germany lose (just sour grapes I admit :( ) because they always seem to win everything and they always beat England on penalties :( (unless we are lucky enough to get, say, a Polish or Dutch ref, one Chechnyan linesman and - most important - one Russina linesman :mrgreen: ).
I'm supporting the Nederlands from now on. It's something to take my mind off the (lack of meanigful) action at Bescot while my "local" team rise from bankrupt-down-and-almost-out to the Chumpionship in less than 10 years.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:24 am

Turkey just don't know when they are beaten , question is can they do it against the Germans .

i hope so

Really enjoyed the Germany - Portugal game , i don't think te Germans were lucky just dreadful defending by the Portuguese
as for Ronaldo the best player in the world performs on the big stage his hasn't very disappointing ,

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:13 am

Nothing now stands in the way of another German victory. The Turks cannot even field a proper team now......... :(

Come on Holland! :D Please, if there is some kind of natural justice, let the Turks or the other finalists (hopefully Holland) destroy this evil.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:54 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:Nothing now stands in the way of another German victory. The Turks cannot even field a proper team now......... :(

Come on Holland! :D Please, if there is some kind of natural justice, let the Turks or the other finalists (hopefully Holland) destroy this evil.

As long as Turkey dont win it im happy.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:15 pm

:twisted:

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:26 pm

Well what a completely one sided quarter final.
A fully deserved win for Russia.
Once again Holland prove they havent the metal to win a major tournement. Well it takes some team to have a record worse then England!

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:34 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Well what a completely one sided quarter final.
Once again Holland prove they havent the metal to win a major tournement. Well it takes some team to have a record worse then England!

There's always one team that is superb early on and then fades in the crucial stages (not normally England or Holland, who are normally ok-ish and then lose on penalties). 2006 it was Argentina, this time Holland.

Russia were poor at Wembley and hopeless against Spain but now they look like the best team in the tournament. They may go on and complete an underdog's victory although that will be the only similarity to Greece's triumph last time out. Greece eked out 1-0 wins by being well organised and good at set-pieces; should Russia win, it will be because they have some outstanding, technically-gifted footballers who revel in a pleasing attacking style of play.

HKSaddler
the "fececious" one

Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:36 pm

Maybe Russia will, but what price a Germany - Italy final now?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:14 am

HKSaddler wrote:Maybe Russia will, but what price a Germany - Italy final now?

Not if Spain have anything to do with it.

We'll find out later.

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:43 am

King Crimson wrote:

We'll find out later.

Do they have a "big game striker" ? Pity the game ain't at Anfield :wink:

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:54 am

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/Van_Basten_Oranje.jpg

Cyclo.... If you want to know how you will look when a bit older and with less hair. Click the link :D :D

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:22 am

Ned_Kelly wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

We'll find out later.

Do they have a "big game striker" ? Pity the game ain't at Anfield :wink:

I think he's done OK - a goal, a couple of key assists...

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:23 am

Oh, and he's committed his club future to his current team. :wink:

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:31 am

King Crimson wrote:Oh, and he's committed his club future to his current team. :wink:

Obviously no ambition. Likes being a big fish in a smaller pond. Maybe this year he will even turn up for the odd away game :wink: :lol:

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:42 am

Ned_Kelly wrote:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/Van_Basten_Oranje.jpg

Cyclo.... If you want to know how you will look when a bit older and with less hair. Click the link :D :D

lol - I said No Way but K thinks you have a point :D

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:46 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Well what a completely one sided quarter final.

Utterly spineless - the Dutch threw a hissy fit when it wasn't going their way, took away their toys and sulked in a corner. The Dutch will never, ever win anything again. Their attitude stinks. I felt disgusted with them and I'm not even Dutch. They are a disgrace and it's no wonder the Krauts were able to brush them aside with ease in WW2. Pathetic.

All the teams with guts have made it to the semis - I expect Italy to join them tonight.

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:50 am

cyclothymic wrote:
Ned_Kelly wrote:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/Van_Basten_Oranje.jpg

lol - I said No Way but K thinks you have a point :D

Listen to the boss, Marco, they are always right :wink: :D

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:27 am

Russia have as good a chance as anyone to win it, they are absolutly superb with the ball, you hardly see them waste a pass. Easily rival anyone in the passing department in the world.

Arshavin is quite frankly, one of the best forwards in the world. Wouldnt suprise me to see him go to a big club like Madrid etc.

Hiddink is just a genius, and he hasnt picked anyone who plays outside russia has he? Russian football has been on the up for years, largely due to the fact of wads of cash floating around.

RobboH89
Glitterati

Location: Waiting for confirmation of League 1 Survival! Bring It On!

Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:07 pm

Really hope Spain win!

Rushall Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:23 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:Nothing now stands in the way of another German victory. The Turks cannot even field a proper team now......... :(

As long as Turkey dont win it im happy.

Got that right.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:58 pm

I like the turks. Arda Turan is class.

RobboH89
Glitterati

Location: Waiting for confirmation of League 1 Survival! Bring It On!

Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:15 pm

latviancheese wrote:I like the turks. Arda Turan is class.

Gotta admit, i dont really like the Turks, but you have to admire that they never ever give up. :lol:
They've only got 13 fit players for Thursday, and their manager said the sub GK might end up coming on a extra CB or Striker towards the end. How fitting if he scores :lol:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:31 pm

Last night's result and performance fully justified me backing Russia to win the tournament before it began, at 22-1. :D

Canuck
UTS Regular

Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:16 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Last night's result and performance fully justified me backing Russia to win the tournament before it began, at 22-1. :D

Unless they lose one of their next two games. :)

PreviousNext
Return to UTS Classics