Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Euro 96

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Euro 96

Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:15 pm

BBC Interactive is running a rolling "Euro golden moments" bit and I just watched lengthy highlights of England in Euro 96 - wow, we were so good. The 4-1 against Holland was magnificent, some of the football we played was just out of this world. The forward trio of Gascoigne, Sheringham and Shearer were awesome. I can't believe all the media hype about the "golden generation" before the last two or three tournaments - that was the real golden generation. One-touch football, hitting teams so quickly on the break, the individual magnificence of Gazza - we've got nothing which can compare with that. Gazza's goal against Scotland is just unbelievable, and the one against the Dutch with the corner from Gazza, and that little touch from Sheringham for Shearer to hammer it in with the outside of his foot - impossible to imagine us doing that now. I'd forgotten just how good we were.

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Re: Euro 96

Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:34 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:BBC Interactive is running a rolling "Euro golden moments" bit and I just watched lengthy highlights of England in Euro 96 - wow, we were so good. The 4-1 against Holland was magnificent, some of the football we played was just out of this world. The forward trio of Gascoigne, Sheringham and Shearer were awesome. I can't believe all the media hype about the "golden generation" before the last two or three tournaments - that was the real golden generation. One-touch football, hitting teams so quickly on the break, the individual magnificence of Gazza - we've got nothing which can compare with that. Gazza's goal against Scotland is just unbelievable, and the one against the Dutch with the corner from Gazza, and that little touch from Sheringham for Shearer to hammer it in with the outside of his foot - impossible to imagine us doing that now. I'd forgotten just how good we were.

My all time fave goal.

ciscokid
UTS Legend

Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:32 pm

Now Alan Shearer. If we only had him now.
Didn't Shearer and Lineker make the all time best Engalnd 11. What a strike partnership :D

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:29 pm

ciscokid wrote:Now Alan Shearer. If we only had him now.
Didn't Shearer and Lineker make the all time best Engalnd 11. What a strike partnership :D

He also cost us a goal at the world cup in 98 with his elbows :(

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:31 pm

tape66 wrote:

He also cost us a goal at the world cup in 98 with his elbows :(

Shearer and Lineker?

Good, but I await a post from a more 'senior' UTSer suggesting that Greaves, or Dixie Dean, or Hurst or someone else would have 'wiped the floor' with both of 'em.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:20 pm

King Crimson wrote:Shearer and Lineker?

Good, but I await a post from a more 'senior' UTSer suggesting that Greaves, or Dixie Dean, or Hurst or someone else would have 'wiped the floor' with both of 'em.

They'd no doubt mention that the last time we won the World Cup was before Shearer and Lineker were out of nappies, etc.etc.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:33 pm

Jimmy Greaves would have wiped the floor with the pair of 'em and they weren't even born when Greavsie was in his prime.

(Will that do?)

ciscokid
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:36 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Jimmy Greaves would have wiped the floor with the pair of 'em and they weren't even born when Greavsie was in his prime.

(Will that do?)

It's unfair to rate players from different generations, although IMO George Best was the best player I have ever seen. Pity he was not English
Greaves was up with the best of them, but his England goal tally was not as good as Gary Linekers.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:39 pm

ciscokid wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:Jimmy Greaves would have wiped the floor with the pair of 'em and they weren't even born when Greavsie was in his prime.

(Will that do?)

It's unfair to rate players from different generations, although IMO George Best was the best player I have ever seen. Pity he was not English
Greaves was up with the best of them, but his England goal tally was not as good as Gary Lineker's.

Woooossh?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:20 am

Pedagogue wrote:
ciscokid wrote:

(Will that do?)

Greaves was up with the best of them, but his England goal tally was not as good as Gary Lineker's.

Woooossh?

Don't think either Lineker or Greaves were known for their pace. You must be thinking of young Theo Walcott, Pedagogue.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:40 pm

Thats certainly the golden generation for me, i was 7 in euro 96, and i thought it was brilliant.

Seaman was a top goalie in his prime, Shearer was a proper centre forward, Sheringham was one of the best in the world at dropping deep and creating things. Gazza was fat and piddled, but still class.

But then we also had a lot of very average players like Mcmanamen, Steve Stone, Merson :wink: etc, but they worked hard for the team.

Another downside was we had Venables as manager, cock.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:16 pm

latviancheese wrote:But then we also had a lot of very average players like Mcmanamen

McManamanamanamanaman was a class act. You've fallen for the media trap - he played abroad, wasn't seen by London sports journalists, therefore should never have been picked for England and wasn't very good. Wrong - He was a great player.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:53 pm

I was at Wembley to see them play together for the first (and I believe only) time.

Also there for all the England games in Euro 96. The Gazza goal against Scotland was probably my best ever moment at a footie game, after Kevin Summerfield's equaliser at Anfield. What made it soooooo sweet was that Scotland had just missed a penalty at the other end.

Return to England Highs & Lows