Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

It's Mullen!

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.
Jorge14
UTS Legend

Re: It's Mullen!

Thu May 22, 2008 7:55 pm

cec_the_saddler wrote:
Jorge14 wrote:Fuming, embarrassed by the cheapness of the appointment, and appalled that Mullen has been appointed above the genuine ability of the other applicants.

Might as well name names, I am assured that Cotterill, Kinsella, Taylor and Allen applied. Holloway would probably have been available at some point next week and Paul Lambert is available; not to mention the potential of people such as Shakespeare or O'Kelly.

I'd have taken all of the above, plus a good number others, above Mullen who did not impress at all in the last two games. If we give a direct comparison to what Kinsella did when he was caretaker-manager (again for the last two matches), Mullen favours worse.

Stupid, stupid appointment. We have passed up the opportunity to build for the FUTURE - something the club claim they are enthusiastic about. We could have appointed Kinsella, Lambert, Shakespeare or O'Kelly, not to mention Rob Kelly, and we would have had a manager who wanted to stick with it for the long haul.

I said a couple of weeks ago that if Mullen was appointed he wouldn't last. I don't think he will. Personally, I think he'll be gone by January because the fans will not give the same lee-way that they did with the Graydon appointment, despite the obvious comparisons.

Attendances will be bad enough next season as it is, but if we start poorly they are going to crash. I will not be surprised if we end next season with averages around the 4500 mark - which will be an embarrassment.

I think people know that I'm not on the anti-Bonser bandwagon, and I've backed him when most have been critical. But there is truly no reason for this appointment other than that it is the easy option; from within the club and easier than having to bring a new man in and build new relations. He will work within the clear structure at the club - which is that Paul Taylor handles signings, and Mullen puts the team out on a Saturday. It is how it worked with Graydon, and Bonser has been yearning to return to those levels of prudence and control ever since. Unfortunately, Taylor's contacts aren't what they once were - and I will be amazed if we get any players in anywhere close to the 1998 class of Rammell, Pointon, Wrack or the Matias, Leitao, Angell, Aranalde, Tilson group which followed.

So...this was Bonser's chance. A 'name' in, and it would have brought him another season of little criticism. If Steve Cotterill had been brought in today, there wouldn't have been much criticism and it would have quelled the moaning for a while. As it is, this appointment has brought any support of Bonser crashing down. As I've said, I don't believe that there are any footballing reasons behind this appointment, and it is a slap in the face of the fanbase who sat through three months of their best players leaving, morale crumbling and a very successful manager jumping ship in the hope that the next appointment might be an improvement and that we might be able to look forward to 08/09 with some sort of hope. As it is, it is, quite simply, more than a little disapointing and thoroughly irritating and predictable.

Jimmy Mullen OBE...

Out Before Easter.

bloody hell, last 2 games Alex Ferguson wouldn't have done any better

Interesting you choose to pick up on a very small piece of the post. My point was, even on a playing field far removed from what was important in choosing our new manager, he still came up short.

I don't think this appointment is good enough; but by God I am looking forwards to being proved wrong - because I reckon if UTS had have been like it is now in the summer of 1998, we'd be reacting in a very similar manner.

walsall_fc_matt

Thu May 22, 2008 7:57 pm

Surrey Saddler wrote:What happened to the "surprise late candidate" that was supposed to have delayed the appointment until next week? Did he not bother to turn up for the interview? :roll:

Oh him --- yes he was a cheap mens clothes market stall holder from Wolverhampton who has experiance of managing a pub . The interview did not go well as the bloke considered a plot at the Bescot Market more attractive. Bonser was gutted :(

Bernie
UTS Legend

Thu May 22, 2008 8:06 pm

Jorge I agree with everything in your posts except that I certainly do not think that we would have been reacting like this when Graydon was appointed in 1998.

Graydon had a very good record as a coach at Southampton and assistant manager at Oxford without ever having the chance to show what he could do as a manager before he came to Walsall. Quite a number of the fancied people this time were people who have never actually been manager. I think that if Bonser had given the job to someone with exactly the same experience and record that Graydon had back then, most people would have welcomed it.

The point about Mullen is that for all but 2 of the past 22 years his track record as a manager is abysmal.

kevin
UTS Legend

Thu May 22, 2008 8:10 pm

moanin old git wrote: Mullen.............with a pathetic CV.

He's got a nice 2CV...........................FSH , MOT, and PAS.

(Think he told JB he can turn the clocks back).
Last edited by kevin on Thu May 22, 2008 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Thu May 22, 2008 8:17 pm

W**k decision by an utter w****r!!

Go die Jeff!

Ive got one word for you: "Daewoo"

stoney100

Thu May 22, 2008 8:20 pm

well done jeff you big fat c**k :D once more i see you've pleased the fans !!!!! now for god sake quit :evil:

yoda
Site Addict

Thu May 22, 2008 8:20 pm

Oh Christ - this is slowly sinking in for me.

We're told we have the best youth players ever coming through - and we're trusting a guy whos main experience is pottering around with part-time amatuers to blood them?

This is the guy who is supposed to keep hold of Gerrard and any other players who catch the passing eye of a bigger club? Im not convinced Ant will stick around to spend his playing career being told what to do by a part-time manager.

Thats just one example, who on earth is going to want to come on anything but a last ditch ride? we have no team at the moment and who is going to want to play for a guy with such a mediocre record who has achieved nothing?

deanonev69
Glitterati

Thu May 22, 2008 8:27 pm

Can't say i'm surprised as he fit Bonser's criteria to a tee-cheap, desperate for work and a yes man. Kevan Broadhurst all over again for me!

Is Jimmy Mullen not the man sacked by Colwyn Bay?? Yes he led Burnley to two promotions but also lead them to eight successive defeats according to wikipedia. Isn't he the man who's wife got tied up and threatened at Burnley as the fans wanted rid so bad (not that i condone this behaviour!!!).

Nothing ever surprises me with that @rse at the helm!

stig

Thu May 22, 2008 8:30 pm

yoda wrote:Oh Christ - this is slowly sinking in for me.

We're told we have the best youth players ever coming through - and we're trusting a guy whos main experience is pottering around with part-time amatuers to blood them?

This is the guy who is supposed to keep hold of Gerrard and any other players who catch the passing eye of a bigger club? Im not convinced Ant will stick around to spend his playing career being told what to do by a part-time manager.

Thats just one example, who on earth is going to want to come on anything but a last ditch ride? we have no team at the moment and who is going to want to play for a guy with such a mediocre record who has achieved nothing?

Don't forget we have some excellent links with the Portuguese second division and i'm assured that STM has been scouting some promising barefoot talent on the beaches of Ghana. We should be grateful.

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Thu May 22, 2008 8:45 pm

deanonev69 wrote:Can't say i'm surprised as he fit Bonser's criteria to a tee-cheap, desperate for work and a yes man. Kevan Broadhurst all over again for me!

Is Jimmy Mullen not the man sacked by Colwyn Bay?? Yes he led Burnley to two promotions but also lead them to eight successive defeats according to wikipedia. Isn't he the man who's wife got tied up and threatened at Burnley as the fans wanted rid so bad (not that i condone this behaviour!!!).

Nothing ever surprises me with that @rse at the helm!

He has a great record!

Sligo Rovers, Telford United, Market Drayton Town, Ludlow Town, Shifnal Town!

Not forgetting 5 whole months at Bromsgrove Rovers and a stint as ASSISTANT at the mighty Hednesford Town!

Like he said, "he's been there, done that, got the t-shirt"

Not quite sure what the t-shirt says though? 'East Shropshire Sunday League First Division sponsored by the Inbreeders Gazette' maybe?

walsall_fc_matt

Thu May 22, 2008 8:47 pm

Our new chant will be " just like watching non-league "

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Thu May 22, 2008 9:30 pm

I'm glad that this has now been sorted out.

Congratulations are due to Jimmy on his appointment, and I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of squad he puts together over the summer.

These Burnley fans certainly seem to be impressed by the appointment... http://boards.footymad.net/mboard/fmb.php?tno=104&fid=297&sty=2&act=1&mid=2129488049

Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Thu May 22, 2008 9:42 pm

Guys/Gals, Mullen is here! Shocking decision granted but in Layman’s terms what can we do about it? F ALL, I'll give him 10 games, he's knows the players and the club and 10 games is enough time for him to make an impact. If not, then we should let our feelings known!

Whatever the frustration, we initially need to give him out full support!

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Thu May 22, 2008 9:44 pm

Sound_out wrote:Guys/Gals, Mullen is here! Shocking decision granted but in Layman’s terms what can we do about it? F ALL, I'll give him 10 games, he's knows the players and the club and 10 games is enough time for him to make an impact. If not, then we should let our feelings known!

Whatever the frustration, we initially need to give him out full support!

I thought 15 games was the tradition?

Sound_out
Site Addict

Thu May 22, 2008 9:48 pm

WTF!

I was being generous with 10!!!

I'm already practicing my 'MULLEN OUT'! :wink:

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu May 22, 2008 9:53 pm

WarsawPact wrote:I'm glad that this has now been sorted out.

Congratulations are due to Jimmy on his appointment, and I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of squad he puts together over the summer.

These Burnley fans certainly seem to be impressed by the appointment... http://boards.footymad.net/mboard/fmb.php?tno=104&fid=297&sty=2&act=1&mid=2129488049

With all due respect, WP, I don't give a fig what Burnley fans think. Perhaps they'd like to hear my opinions about their floodlighting system.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Thu May 22, 2008 9:58 pm

My apologies - I just thought that the opinions of people with actual experience of JM's management capabilities might be at least as relevant as all those decrying him simply because he happens to have been employed by Jeff Bonser.

tinned
Site Addict

Thu May 22, 2008 10:02 pm

What did Bonser say a few months back? Something along the lines of "It's my mbition to get us back into the Championship and I will do all I can to make sure we go there to stay next time". Something similar anyway.

Well today dear Jeff you have shown yourself up for the lieing, bull****ting, charlatan you really are. Do you really expect anbody to believe another word you ever say? If you came to me today and told me it was Thursday I'd have to check the calender.

I really expected Bonser to make a higher profile appointment this time in order to appease the fans. Today proves he doesn't even care about that anymore (remember the days of loan signings immeadiately after protests?). I'd have more respect for you (mind you, that wouldn't be hard) if you came out and admitted the truth, i.e. you're not really bothered about our league position as long as your pension cheque is met each month. Stop hiding behind this false facade of being the clubs biggest fan. I said a few weeks ago that you were in trouble because fans were starting to criticise you that had never done so before. Well now there are fans voicing their anger that I would've bet big money would never have done so. Your time is up, don't hang around.

Oh, and if Mullen end up as bad as I expect (but pray I'm wrong) then it won't be his name I'm chanting "out" after, it will be yours, longer and louder than I have ever done before. You have hidden behind fall guys far too long now. This time you should stand or fall by your decisions. And the decision you've made in the last twelve months are diabolical.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu May 22, 2008 10:06 pm

WarsawPact wrote:My apologies - I just thought that the opinions of people with actual experience of JM's management capabilities might be at least as relevant as all those decrying him simply because he happens to have been employed by Jeff Bonser.

Again, WP, with all due respect, and don't get me wrong, I've nothing against the bloke, but a wider selection of opinions may provide a truer picture. How about the opinions of Colwyn Bay, Market Drayton, Telford United and Bromsgrove Rovers fans?

stefano123
UTS Regular

Thu May 22, 2008 10:06 pm

i think Mullens response sums up the rationale behind the appointment: "i am delighted to become team manager"

To me this implies that he well knows he is not the one who will be signing the players or influencing things behind the scenes since he will solely be in charge of matchday affairs and handling the press - i cant help feeling he is just there because we need someone in place with the title of 'manager'. The 'team' that Bonser has in place are the ones pulling the strings... yes we already knew that, i know, but it doesnt make it any less disappointing...

I will support the team as i always do but cant help feeling pessimistic about things... please prove we wrong Jimmy!

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Thu May 22, 2008 10:11 pm

the more and more this starts to sink in the more i feel sick.
my god were going to have record low attendences!
can you imagine those cold tuesday nights in november well struggle to get 3000 in there!
as ive always said and stand by until this joke of a chairman goes i will not go to the home matches ever again.
im going to spend next season going to the 18 or so league clubs ive yet to do as theres no way well get promoted so i can do them with walsall!!!
what a massive massive own goal geff i just cant believe what youve done to this club.
i would take being in conference right now with a different owner and i really mean that

Sound_out
Site Addict

Thu May 22, 2008 10:14 pm

I disagree, he'll be in charge but also firmly understanding there will be F All in the budget to improve the team with quality. Seriously, WTF would want this job except Mullen based on Boner's track record???

tinned
Site Addict

Thu May 22, 2008 10:17 pm

He's just a puppet. Bonser will have the strings to his legs and STM will have the strings to his arms and together they will have him dancing around like a madman.

You've had your rope Bonser and I think your finally hanging yourself with it. The tide has turned, you may as well get out now. Make public your asking price for the club AND land and get the hell out of here.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Thu May 22, 2008 10:30 pm

Salop Saddler wrote:
WarsawPact wrote:My apologies - I just thought that the opinions of people with actual experience of JM's management capabilities might be at least as relevant as all those decrying him simply because he happens to have been employed by Jeff Bonser.

Again, WP, with all due respect, and don't get me wrong, I've nothing against the bloke, but a wider selection of opinions may provide a truer picture. How about the opinions of Colwyn Bay, Market Drayton, Telford United and Bromsgrove Rovers fans?

Nothing from Colwyn Bay or Market Drayton
Telford fans mostly anti, although one made this interesting comment:
" Posted: May 22 2008, 09:36 PM
TBH, I don't care what they're saying, or the fact that the chairman has made a balls up, the fact they're saying they won't be going next season is a disgrace.
They have to at least support the side, plastic fans."

Bromsgrove fans ranged from wishing him good luck to being mildly positive.

Atomic Rooster
UTS Veteran

Thu May 22, 2008 10:37 pm

My worse fears have come true mullen is manager. My hopes and expectations for next season, hope the cheap option bonsor has took will release extra money to bring in a good assistant coach even a player coach, expect him to be helped by whitney and mcmanus.hope that is has got good contacts to bring in quality loan and permanent signings,expect more paul taylor crap on the cheap . hope that bonsor has brought in another gem like nicholl graydon and dickie expect another cack decision like sorensen merson and broadhurst. i will give him a chance but in all honesty if he still manager this time next year and we are still in league 1 it will be a miracle :( :( :(

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu May 22, 2008 10:42 pm

WarsawPact wrote:
Salop Saddler wrote:

Nothing from Colwyn Bay or Market Drayton
Telford fans mostly anti, although one made this interesting comment:
" Posted: May 22 2008, 09:36 PM
TBH, I don't care what they're saying, or the fact that the chairman has made a balls up, the fact they're saying they won't be going next season is a disgrace.
They have to at least support the side, plastic fans."

Bromsgrove fans ranged from wishing him good luck to being mildly positive.

All in all I'd suggest mediocre, which I think is no measure of excellence. Not that Walsall would sign up an excellent manager of course, or that an excellent manager would wish to come to Walsall. So, shall we describe him as the easy option for the owner, and, more than likely, the least demanding both in terms of aspiration and expense. I'd suggest anything other than that could be described as wide of the mark.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thu May 22, 2008 11:02 pm

Being rational is prohibited on this thread, sorry. :D

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Thu May 22, 2008 11:30 pm

4143 wrote:

Being rational is prohibited on this thread, sorry. :D

I rather expected it.
Their grief must run its course - through the Kubler-Ross stages:

* Denial (this isn't happening to me!)
* Anger (why is this happening to me?)
* Bargaining (I promise I'll be a better person if...)
* Depression (I don't care anymore)
* Acceptance (I'm ready for whatever comes)

:wink:

THE_BURNING_RED
UTS Regular

Fri May 23, 2008 12:01 am

I expected nothing else glad i have no season ticket i think that i will do some festivals this summer and have fun

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Fri May 23, 2008 12:11 am

Perhaps Jeff has thrown his toys out of his pram re: recent 'get out' campaign.

Maybe this is his retribution, foisting a manager upon us who reminds us of (and will probably take us back to) the bad old days!

PreviousNext
Return to You Said That Then