Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

It's Mullen!

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.
yoda
Site Addict

Re: It's Mullen!

Thu May 22, 2008 5:26 pm

Yes it does suck, but what sucks worse is that Bescot will have a surge on the opening day, and the if we win 3 home games, attendences will pick up again... and bonser will have got away with his cheap appointment.

While we all make impulsive statements on here, its fair to say we dont represent the masses that go to Bescot, and energies would probably be spent organising protests than anything.

Also - why release the kit AFTER this nonsense. There surely cant be anyone even remotely excited about next season now?

Bernie
UTS Legend

Thu May 22, 2008 5:44 pm

Bonser said, "He has a proven track record, following a very successful spell at Burnley."

That proves that during the last five weeks Bonser did not even bother to read Mullen's CV.

Mullen's record at Burnley was two good seasons, two bad seasons and one average season. So it was not over the five years "very successful". But to say that FOLLOWING his time there he has a proven track record is rubbish. He was a flop at Sligo, Colwyn Bay, Bromsgrove, Market Drayton and Telford.

Manager of Newport County 1986/87 - relegation from third division followed by the sack.

Manger of Blackpool 1989/90 - relegation from third division followed by the sack (would have been rock bottom if it were not for John Barnwell).

Burnley: Took over when they had been in the 4th Division play-offs - led them to 4th Divison championship 1991/2. Average season 1992/3. Finished 6th in 3rd Division 1993/4 - promotion via play-offs. Relegated from second division 1994/95. Poor season in third division 1995/96 - sacked.

He has been a manager at league level for 7 seasons, 2 of which were successful, 1 was reasonable the other 4 were poor.

Since 1996 he has been manager of 5 non-league clubs - achieving absolutely no success at any of them.

So his overall record as a manager since 1986 contains just two successful seasons.

cancol

Thu May 22, 2008 5:57 pm

Very disappointing in the manner it's been handled but not surprised, I will wait and see what sort of signings he makes and then make a decision about going or not.
It's the team I go to watch and if they play well and we don't have too many pensioners on the books, i'll still go.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Thu May 22, 2008 6:00 pm

No disrespect intended to JM, but this is a terrible, terrible decision. My hunch is that other potential managers in the frame were put off by the financial constraints and the shadowy presence of STM. What's going on at Walsall FC?

I will now seriously consider not going to home games at all for the forseeable future. Why should I give my money to a club whose interests on and off the field are a poor second best to the financial interests and concerns of one individual.

As Daryl Hall and John Oates once said: "I'm out of touch, I'm out of time". On both counts, JB.

Bonser Out.
Last edited by BathSaddler on Thu May 22, 2008 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nortoncanesred
UTS Veteran

Thu May 22, 2008 6:02 pm

Manager of Newport County 1986/87 - relegation from third division followed by the sack.

Manger of Blackpool 1989/90 - relegation from third division followed by the sack (would have been rock bottom if it were not for John Barnwell).

Burnley: Took over when they had been in the 4th Division play-offs - led them to 4th Divison championship 1991/2. Average season 1992/3. Finished 6th in 3rd Division 1993/4 - promotion via play-offs. Relegated from second division 1994/95. Poor season in third division 1995/96 - sacked.

He has been a manager at league level for 7 seasons, 2 of which were successful, 1 was reasonable the other 4 were poor.

Since 1996 he has been manager of 5 non-league clubs - achieving absolutely no success at any of them.

So his overall record as a manager since 1986 contains just two successful seasons

Makes you wonder who the other four were if he was the best qualified :lol: :lol:

saddler_til_i_die

Thu May 22, 2008 6:05 pm

Bonser Out, Bring Back DD

dancingsaddler
UTS Regular

Thu May 22, 2008 6:13 pm

Asps wrote:I'm too depressed to post.

Me too :( :(

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Thu May 22, 2008 6:17 pm

I'm very under whelmed, uninspired and very unimpressed. I'm afraid JB has made a mockery of us and I've stood in his corner and supported him over the last few months, how stupid do I feel now? All the talk about it being the strongest candidate list we've ever had and a mystery new candidate with all the right credentials seems to be complete and utter horse s**t. I mean really, if Mullen has got the job, how strong could the others be??????? Absolute joke.

"Yes Jeff, of course I'll be happy with the players Mr Taylor brings in."

"Yes Jeff, I'm happy with the playing budget."

Yes Jeff, yes Jeff, yes jeff.......repeat for remainder of contract or until sacked, whichever comes first.

Cueball
UTS Regular

Thu May 22, 2008 6:20 pm

Bernie wrote:Bonser said, "He has a proven track record, following a very successful spell at Burnley."

That proves that during the last five weeks Bonser did not even bother to read Mullen's CV.

Mullen's record at Burnley was two good seasons, two bad seasons and one average season. So it was not over the five years "very successful". But to say that FOLLOWING his time there he has a proven track record is rubbish. He was a flop at Sligo, Colwyn Bay, Bromsgrove, Market Drayton and Telford.

So his overall record as a manager since 1986 contains just two successful seasons.

Thought he had more experience than that!!! Well, the next time Walsall need a manager I really might just apply. I think Bonsor is the one person in football who really would take Championship Manager results seriously!! I mean, first there was Big Fat Jan who'd been managing the ten-pin bowling centre and now a bloke who has been flogging used cars.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Thu May 22, 2008 6:23 pm

Nortoncanesred wrote:

So his overall record as a manager since 1986 contains just two successful seasons

Makes you wonder who the other four were if he was the best qualified :lol: :lol:

You would be a bit miffed if you went for the job and heard who had got it! :oops:

Saddler4Life
UTS Regular

Thu May 22, 2008 6:24 pm

gald its came out today and not next week as planned!

i was going to renew my season ticket tomorrow!

i aint bothering now!
away games only next season now!

stafflers
UTS Regular

Thu May 22, 2008 6:25 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:If this decision had been taken 5 weeks ago - I could almost have stomached it (almost), but after 5 weeks of telling us how good the applicants are - well, it is the biggest PR disaster to date.

You can't blame the board for taking time mullen it over :wink:

Duke
Site Addict

Thu May 22, 2008 6:25 pm

i'm trying very hard to find some positives about things but its very hard
very disappointed

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Thu May 22, 2008 6:28 pm

Duke wrote:i'm trying very hard to find some positives about things but its very hard
very disappointed

I don't think there is a positive Dave :cry:

Duke
Site Addict

Thu May 22, 2008 6:32 pm

Kiansmom wrote:
Duke wrote:i'm trying very hard to find some positives about things but its very hard
very disappointed

I don't think there is a positive Dave :cry:

he knows how the club works.

talk about clutching at straws :cry:

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Thu May 22, 2008 6:35 pm

Oh go on father!

Gaz the Train
UTS Veteran

Thu May 22, 2008 6:38 pm

I know ive been a bonser backer from the point that I personally think that hes not as bad as peole make him out to be (just a point. I'm not gonna get into any more Bonser debate here) but I did think he would have more sense than to give Jimmy the job given the current feeling amongst large sections of the support. I'm still going to come to matches like I always do and I really hope that everyone is proven wrong and Jim does a fantastic job, but my god is there some pressure on him to perform now. We can but wait and see now, the decision has been made and I've been wrong about things before, but it hasn't got the feel good factor about it that an appointment could have had. Good Luck Jim, you've got a hell of a job to win people over so I hope thats some extra motivation for you to prove us all wrong

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Thu May 22, 2008 6:51 pm

I'm so glad that I decided against a season ticket.

I am totally under-whelmed.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Thu May 22, 2008 6:53 pm

Cueball wrote:
tinned wrote:RIP Walsall FC. Meet it's successor Bonser's Pension Fund FC.

If anyone still wants to kid themselves that Bonser only makes decisions for the good of the club then I think you must be beyond help. Surely nobody can still fail to acknowlege that Bonser doesn't care two hoots what happens to the football side of the business as long as his fat cheque gets wrote first each month.

Bonser: Name your price, sell up and LEAVE US ALONE. Just as I thought you couldn't wring anymore life out of this club you prove me wrong. You are a complete joke.

For Sale: One adult, one child and a mini red season ticket.

You're as dodgy as our new car salesman/manager. You had that mini red for free!!!

:lol: :lol:

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Thu May 22, 2008 7:10 pm

Wow

Judson16

Thu May 22, 2008 7:16 pm

i actually hate the fact that i was a little excited about the managerial appointment :cry:
i'll still support Mullen, but Bonsor appears to have set himself up for a massive fall, bigger than any he's suffered before
if Mullen messes up (which to be honest, is probable), then, surely that has to be it?!?!

Cueball
UTS Regular

Thu May 22, 2008 7:18 pm

Gaz the Train wrote:I know ive been a bonser backer from the point that I personally think that hes not as bad as peole make him out to be (just a point. I'm not gonna get into any more Bonser debate here) but I did think he would have more sense than to give Jimmy the job given the current feeling amongst large sections of the support. I'm still going to come to matches like I always do and I really hope that everyone is proven wrong and Jim does a fantastic job, but my god is there some pressure on him to perform now. We can but wait and see now, the decision has been made and I've been wrong about things before, but it hasn't got the feel good factor about it that an appointment could have had. Good Luck Jim, you've got a hell of a job to win people over so I hope thats some extra motivation for you to prove us all wrong

You're right mate. It's like when McClown got the England job after Sven, he was on a hiding to nothing. It's going to be interesting to see what his kind of players are (and whether they're the same as SunTan Man's!!).

Gaz the Train
UTS Veteran

Thu May 22, 2008 7:21 pm

At least we can up the playing budet cos weve saved on gaffers wages

Biggles
UTS Veteran

Thu May 22, 2008 7:22 pm

Theres supposed to be a press conference tomorrow, [grasping at straws mode]could it be possible there wil a nice shiny crowd pleasing number 2, DK, MK etc unveiled?[/grasping at straws mode]

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Thu May 22, 2008 7:23 pm

i will be writing to the club when back from lanza asking for a full refund on our 6 early birds. I had a tip off at 12 that this was about to be announced but didnt quite believe it. Disgusted and annoyed but ultimatly on reflection not surprised.

s.o.t.v.

Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm

very disappointed

looks like my bet is safe dave :evil:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu May 22, 2008 7:33 pm

Disgusted.

They wont get a penny from me.

Albion for me next season. :lol:

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Thu May 22, 2008 7:37 pm

Fuming, embarrassed by the cheapness of the appointment, and appalled that Mullen has been appointed above the genuine ability of the other applicants.

Might as well name names, I am assured that Cotterill, Kinsella, Taylor and Allen applied. Holloway would probably have been available at some point next week and Paul Lambert is available; not to mention the potential of people such as Shakespeare or O'Kelly.

I'd have taken all of the above, plus a good number others, above Mullen who did not impress at all in the last two games. If we give a direct comparison to what Kinsella did when he was caretaker-manager (again for the last two matches), Mullen favours worse.

Stupid, stupid appointment. We have passed up the opportunity to build for the FUTURE - something the club claim they are enthusiastic about. We could have appointed Kinsella, Lambert, Shakespeare or O'Kelly, not to mention Rob Kelly, and we would have had a manager who wanted to stick with it for the long haul.

I said a couple of weeks ago that if Mullen was appointed he wouldn't last. I don't think he will. Personally, I think he'll be gone by January because the fans will not give the same lee-way that they did with the Graydon appointment, despite the obvious comparisons.

Attendances will be bad enough next season as it is, but if we start poorly they are going to crash. I will not be surprised if we end next season with averages around the 4500 mark - which will be an embarrassment.

I think people know that I'm not on the anti-Bonser bandwagon, and I've backed him when most have been critical. But there is truly no reason for this appointment other than that it is the easy option; from within the club and easier than having to bring a new man in and build new relations. He will work within the clear structure at the club - which is that Paul Taylor handles signings, and Mullen puts the team out on a Saturday. It is how it worked with Graydon, and Bonser has been yearning to return to those levels of prudence and control ever since. Unfortunately, Taylor's contacts aren't what they once were - and I will be amazed if we get any players in anywhere close to the 1998 class of Rammell, Pointon, Wrack or the Matias, Leitao, Angell, Aranalde, Tilson group which followed.

So...this was Bonser's chance. A 'name' in, and it would have brought him another season of little criticism. If Steve Cotterill had been brought in today, there wouldn't have been much criticism and it would have quelled the moaning for a while. As it is, this appointment has brought any support of Bonser crashing down. As I've said, I don't believe that there are any footballing reasons behind this appointment, and it is a slap in the face of the fanbase who sat through three months of their best players leaving, morale crumbling and a very successful manager jumping ship in the hope that the next appointment might be an improvement and that we might be able to look forward to 08/09 with some sort of hope. As it is, it is, quite simply, more than a little disapointing and thoroughly irritating and predictable.

Jimmy Mullen OBE...

Out Before Easter.

cec_the_saddler

Thu May 22, 2008 7:50 pm

Jorge14 wrote:Fuming, embarrassed by the cheapness of the appointment, and appalled that Mullen has been appointed above the genuine ability of the other applicants.

Might as well name names, I am assured that Cotterill, Kinsella, Taylor and Allen applied. Holloway would probably have been available at some point next week and Paul Lambert is available; not to mention the potential of people such as Shakespeare or O'Kelly.

I'd have taken all of the above, plus a good number others, above Mullen who did not impress at all in the last two games. If we give a direct comparison to what Kinsella did when he was caretaker-manager (again for the last two matches), Mullen favours worse.

Stupid, stupid appointment. We have passed up the opportunity to build for the FUTURE - something the club claim they are enthusiastic about. We could have appointed Kinsella, Lambert, Shakespeare or O'Kelly, not to mention Rob Kelly, and we would have had a manager who wanted to stick with it for the long haul.

I said a couple of weeks ago that if Mullen was appointed he wouldn't last. I don't think he will. Personally, I think he'll be gone by January because the fans will not give the same lee-way that they did with the Graydon appointment, despite the obvious comparisons.

Attendances will be bad enough next season as it is, but if we start poorly they are going to crash. I will not be surprised if we end next season with averages around the 4500 mark - which will be an embarrassment.

I think people know that I'm not on the anti-Bonser bandwagon, and I've backed him when most have been critical. But there is truly no reason for this appointment other than that it is the easy option; from within the club and easier than having to bring a new man in and build new relations. He will work within the clear structure at the club - which is that Paul Taylor handles signings, and Mullen puts the team out on a Saturday. It is how it worked with Graydon, and Bonser has been yearning to return to those levels of prudence and control ever since. Unfortunately, Taylor's contacts aren't what they once were - and I will be amazed if we get any players in anywhere close to the 1998 class of Rammell, Pointon, Wrack or the Matias, Leitao, Angell, Aranalde, Tilson group which followed.

So...this was Bonser's chance. A 'name' in, and it would have brought him another season of little criticism. If Steve Cotterill had been brought in today, there wouldn't have been much criticism and it would have quelled the moaning for a while. As it is, this appointment has brought any support of Bonser crashing down. As I've said, I don't believe that there are any footballing reasons behind this appointment, and it is a slap in the face of the fanbase who sat through three months of their best players leaving, morale crumbling and a very successful manager jumping ship in the hope that the next appointment might be an improvement and that we might be able to look forward to 08/09 with some sort of hope. As it is, it is, quite simply, more than a little disapointing and thoroughly irritating and predictable.

Jimmy Mullen OBE...

Out Before Easter.

bloody hell, last 2 games Alex Ferguson wouldn't have done any better

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Thu May 22, 2008 7:52 pm

What happened to the "surprise late candidate" that was supposed to have delayed the appointment until next week? Did he not bother to turn up for the interview? :roll:

PreviousNext
Return to You Said That Then