Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Members Cars

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
Stu
UTS Legend

Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:09 am

saddlerken wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Well accept the idiots that voted the twerp in, in the first place....

The same people will vote the same twerp in!

Stuck with Mr Smug for at least 4 MORE YEARS

Too bloody right that I'll vote the smug twerp in, rather have him than any of the other lame offerings up for selection. Which says a lot about the state of the opposition tbh.

Chrome Dome

Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:15 am

Is it me, or are headlights getting brighter? I've been dazzled in broad daylight by wazzocks who are too dopey or idle to turn the buggers off. The Highways Agency ought to employ some ARP wardens to patrol the roads shouting "Oi, turn those bloody lights off!!".

cal's a saddler
UTS Regular

Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:46 am

I drive a very nice blue corsa with the obligitory saddlers sticker in the back :D

Ian Gittins

Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:17 pm

Yes, disgraceful of Blair to have stayed in Egypt. Because it would have obviously have saved thousands of lives if he had flown back home two days earlier... :lol:

Stop taking the tabloids, chaps.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:49 pm

kevin wrote:Geoff,could I politely request,you Volvo bods switch the friggin lights off.Because you all KNOW you can,if you wish (page 42 in the manual I think). :D

Actually Kevin I don't think you can switch them off, they are there for safety reasons. Volvo research says, I believe, that pedestrians are much more likely to notice a car approaching if the lights are on - even in daylight.

Headlights come on automatically when the engine starts - but you can turn the light switch to the sidelight position and then you just show sidelights, which I always do - but you can't turn them off completely.

If you know differently, tell me how, but I'll be surpised if it's possible without having technical knowledge about car wiring, and getting into the wiring looms somehow.

As for those extra-bright headlights - well some people have these Bi-Xenon things which are brilliant white but they don't normally cause dazzle. More likely are the people who don't have their headlights aligned properly, or those whose cars are fully loaded but they haven't adjusted the headlamp-height (if the facility is available on the car).

But of all car-light nuisances, surely the worst are those who drive around with rear fog lights on when there is no fog - well we've not had proper fog for donkey's years, all we ever get these days is mist, so apart from very thick daylight mist, or very heavy rain, spray or snow, I can't think of any time when these things are really needed. Why do I have to get dazzled by these idiots with their rear fog lights blazing, at times when I (and they) can see ordinary rear-lights perfectly well 200-300 yards ahead ?

Finally the front fog-lights loonies - it's illegal to use these in normal conditions because they are set so low and are prone to dazzle oncoming drivers - but the police do sod-all about it, while these loonies just HAVE to turn 'em on just because they are there and they like to illuminate that little indicator on the dashboard - prats !! :twisted: :evil:

Fog or driving snow only - it's the law !

tinned
Site Addict

Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:10 pm

Geoff, I also have a bee in my bonnett about people driving sround with their fog lights on needlessly. It bugs me no end. I don't even like them in heavy rain, they shine off the wet road and blind the f*ck out of me. Which means I can't see their brake lights. Which means I'm more likely to pile into the back of them. I often put my high beam on (if there's nothing coming the other way) to blind the barstewards when they look in their rear view mirror. Mind you, the type that drive round with fog lights on in clear conditions are unlikely to be the sort that utilise their rear view mirrors too often.

Jeef_Boner

Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:12 pm

yup, keep those lights on. Otherwise you might get a pedestrian all over the front of your Swedish motor. Hurdy gurdy.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:18 pm

Strange response Jeef - but just one thing, where did you get that photo of me from ? :lol:

tinned
Site Addict

Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:28 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:Strange response Jeef - but just one thing, where did you get that photo of me from ? :lol:

He's one of C&D's toady's. It's one of the photographs he took when C&D told him to "have you watched". :lol:

By the way, yours is a very nice motor Geoff. The seats are more comfortable than my armchair.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:16 pm

And much more comfortable than the orange boxes we sit on at home Dave. :D

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:15 pm

Ian Gittins wrote:Yes, disgraceful of Blair to have stayed in Egypt. Because it would have obviously have saved thousands of lives if he had flown back home two days earlier... :lol:

Stop taking the tabloids, chaps.

He is our figure head, Should show an example. Reminds me of the "Act" he put on when Diana died. As if he gave a f@!k !!!!!

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:18 pm

Mind you, must agree with Stu's point about lack of opposition. If the Tories had done whay Labour had done in the last 7 years they would have been dragged over the coles backwards. God help us if the Liberals get in, I might as well go live in Spain.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:30 pm

Can I have your cars if you do?

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:22 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:Can I have your cars if you do?

LOL.... :lol:

addo
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:55 am

I currently have a new Mazda 6, but in hindsight feel it might have been too impulsive a purchase.

Lots of room and extras , but a bit bland.

My heart is still with my ex..............

An Alfa 156.
A top vehicle, but not very practical having kids. Very quick, but storage space limited.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:48 pm

I had a new Mazda 3 at my last job, I thought it was a great car to drive. I might even consider buying one to replace the Focus.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:54 pm

I've got a 1994 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4L Flair, it's got turquoise interior and it does 0-60 in about 2 1/2 mins

It's fu*king cack

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:45 pm

What's wrong with the Mazda 6 addo, I don't think they look bland, I think they look stunning - especially in silver or that bright pearlescent blue. What colour you got mate ?

It's on my list of alternatives when this Volvo S60 comes around to change, though that's probably 27 months away so who knows what will be around by then ?

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:24 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:I had a new Mazda 3 at my last job, I thought it was a great car to drive. I might even consider buying one to replace the Focus.

Theres the new Focus out this weekend, looks a bit more balnd than the old shape, I think ford are trying to make all their range look the same.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:27 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:What's wrong with the Mazda 6 addo, I don't think they look bland, I think they look stunning - especially in silver or that bright pearlescent blue. What colour you got mate ?

It's on my list of alternatives when this Volvo S60 comes around to change, though that's probably 27 months away so who knows what will be around by then ?

I like the look of the Mazda 6.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:05 pm

Saddler Ken, my brother and I have got half shares in a rare 1993 Vauxall Astramax 560L 1699cc deisel van; painted in canary yellow, the interia is 'mechanics black' and it has got a drivers seat with adjustable headrest. We currently have it carefully stored at a secret location to protect it from possible collectors who may be anxious to complete their collections of valuable or rare vehicles. I would suggest you now take the necessary measures to guard your Vauxall Corsa from these villians who may be frustrated in their attempts to find my van and chance upon yours as an alternative.

addo
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:52 pm

Mine is silver.

Like I said above, I was looking to replace an Alfa 156 1.8 but add a little more room so saw it as a good replacement.

I agree, they look great, which is probably what sold it to me originally.

However, on the comfort /performance/handling/stye stakes it is nowhere near, even though the Mazda is 2.0 litre TS.
It just feels like a mass produced stereo-typical salesman type car.

My advice would be to test drive one thoroughly before committing to buy.

Maybe I have just been spoiled.
OR,
If space is not an issue taka look at an Alfa Romeo dealer.

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:57 pm

My Audi A4 is nice to drive, specially here in Sweden when it's winter surface with snow and Ice as it has a 4wd it floats nice over almost every surface.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:16 pm

Per - Are you sure its not the Delorean off Back to the Future? :wink:

1950saddler

members cars

Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:18 pm

geoff whiting,
rear fog lights can only be used legally in falling snow,heavy rain, fog and mist,and only then if the visibility is less than 50 meters.
I drive a red corsa for my sins with the obligatory "saddlers" plate in the the rear window and sporting new registration plates which my better half gave me for christmas as a present,{was I chuffed} as they have my initials and WFC on them. :D :D

saddla
Site Addict

Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:37 am

Now that I'm in my 50's I finally got the sort of car I should have had when I was 18 but could never afford. The sort I wanted when I was in my late twenties but was no good for the kids. A merc SLK. Trouble is I don't take it to the footy in case someone decides to run their keys all along the sides so I take the missus' Ford Mundane.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:16 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:And much more comfortable than the orange boxes we sit on at home Dave. :D

I heard things were a bit tight at Whiting Towers, Geoff. So bad that you've had to let go of half the staff, so I'm led to believe :wink:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:29 pm

It's probably close to the truth Dave - but not quite. I may have been mis-quoted you see.

What I actually said, when asked how many staff work for me was "about half of them" - it's not quite the same thing, as you'll appreciate.

:D

1950saddler - thanks, but I already know - but you could try telling that to these idiots who think they've got all these extra fog lights solely for the purpose of driving round like a mobile Blackpool illuminations.

Why the hell the Police don't pull 'em over and give 'em a ticket is beyond me.

dornansog
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:11 pm

Speaking of the police nicking people, they turned up outside where i work today and booked everyone on double yellows(fair enough).They then returned twice more through the afternoon when the cars had gone to be replaced by others.(its a cul-de-sac where disabled drivers park all day).
We havent seen a policeman or traffic warden booking people in 5 years yet now its a daily occurence.
This coincides with the installation of cctv in the area.The police couldnt possibly be sitting in their nice warm station and only venturing out when theres enough money to be made could they?
No discernible change in vandalism and anti social behaviour but shoppers will be going elsewhere.

Well done WMP

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:31 pm

Well done WMP for using cost-effective technology to nab law-breakers at less cost to you the tax-payer, you mean?

Didn't think so :mrgreen:

PreviousNext
Return to UTS Classics