Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Dicky's gone

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.
stafflers
UTS Regular

Dicky's gone

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:08 pm

according to WFC OS

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Re: Dicky's gone

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:09 pm

I guess the reassurances weren't forthcoming then.

Who moved the goalposts?

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:12 pm

He sure has! :shock: :shock:

My initial reaction was one of slight happiness. Depends on the replacement but I'll stick with that....I was never his biggest fan (even last season)

The only problem is that he's obviously spoken to JB and been told there's not any money - that's massively worrying for our future.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:12 pm

This is very saddening. I didn't like him as a person, but in terms of results on the pitch he was an unqualified success.

RobboH89
Glitterati

Location: Waiting for confirmation of League 1 Survival! Bring It On!

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:15 pm

Well, anybody could have told you that was coming, maybe not today, but in the near future, as Bonser wasn't ever going to up the budget.

I'm quite shocked though, even though he was moody, he was a good manager,

All the best for the future DD.

Glitterati

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:16 pm

This is as much as a shock as Ray Graydon's departure. Although we knew he wanted assurances for next season I didn't expect this to happen so soon.

It states he resigned rather than a mutual agreement to end his contract - makes you wonder if it is more of a forced resignation following his recent comments to the press to avoid any sort of compensation package.

Who moved the goalposts?

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:17 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:This is very saddening. I didn't like him as a person, but in terms of results on the pitch he was an unqualified success.

Agree with that. Mixed emotions really about this one.

I was a lot more disappointed when Sir Ray went but you can't knock Money's record here.

Can we all sing "Where's the Money gone" on Saturday now?

Who moved the goalposts?

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:18 pm

1933 wrote:This is as much as a shock as Ray Graydon's departure. Although we knew he wanted assurances for next season I didn't expect this to happen so soon.

I thought it would happen at the end of the season. Weird timing really.

Kinsella anyone?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:19 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:I guess the reassurances weren't forthcoming then.

And that is the crux of the matter.

Seems it's not only the fans who are pissed off with Jeff.

Stu
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:20 pm

1933 wrote:This is as much as a shock as Ray Graydon's departure. Although we knew he wanted assurances for next season I didn't expect this to happen so soon.

It states he resigned rather than a mutual agreement to end his contract - makes you wonder if it is more of a forced resignation following his recent comments to the press to avoid any sort of compensation package.

You seriously think its a shock? Honestly?

I'm not surprised at all, he has been engineering himself an exit for a couple of months, if not longer, in my opinion. I questioned whether at one point his sniping at the fans was to get them to turn on him so he could walk away and blame us, maybe that's reading far too much into it. But his comments this week were the clearest indication yet that he is paving his way.

Personally I'm not that disappointed, maybe we'll see a slightly more attractive style of football, maybe we'll see someone who wants to work with the fans rather than against them.

As said though, the biggest worry is that this obviously means that the funds aren't there from JWB. Maybe his timing is right in the sense that I imagine JWB will be on the end of a severe backlash come Hartlepool!

Puddletown Tom

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:20 pm

I am surprised and disappointed. He has achieved a huge amount since he arrived. Not always the most charming individual and could learn a thing or two about relations with the fans. I still believed that he could shape a team for next year - given what he had achieved this years. Still, the next manager will probably wave to the fans :lol:

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:22 pm

Perhaps it has been coming?

But I must admit that I am surprised and worried by this on two counts;

i) Like him or loathe him, he's brought order and discipline to the club and he has got us excellent results.

ii) This would seem to suggest that he has spoken with Mr Bonser and has NOT been satisfied with the budget being allowed for next season.

Now, of course, it all depends on how much money Mr Money expected to be released to him. Perhaps he expectations were unrealistic. If not, then that is a very worrying sign because it suggests that we will be scraping around for players again and not using any of the money from the sales of Dann and Fox.

A vital period now follows - make a good appointment and give the new manager a reasonable budget and this team can kick on and aim for the play-offs or higher next year. Get it wrong and the club could take some time to recover and find itself back in Div 4.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:24 pm

Ain't gonna pretend I was ever his biggest fan but one thing I will say at least he had principles in the face of the most unambitious, short-sighted owner possible.

Time to sell up and ship out Bonser. Your time is up.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:25 pm

Well Bonser sorry but you have got rid of our best manager.

Richard Money has wanted more money all along, I TOLD YOU ALL. I TOLD YOU ALL>

You can all bury your heads in shame. He had his hands tied, and he wanted it all along.

This is a disgrace. How anyone can support Jeff Bonser is beyond me.

You can fudge off Bonser!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:26 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:Perhaps it has been coming?

But I must admit that I am surprised and worried by this on two counts;

i) Like him or loathe him, he's brought order and discipline to the club and he has got us excellent results.

ii) This would seem to suggest that he has spoken with Mr Bonser and has NOT been satisfied with the budget being allowed for next season.

Now, of course, it all depends on how much money Mr Money expected to be released to him. Perhaps he expectations were unrealistic. If not, then that is a very worrying sign because it suggests that we will be scraping around for players again and not using any of the money from the sales of Dann and Fox.

A vital period now follows - make a good appointment and give the new manager a reasonable budget and this team can kick on and aim for the play-offs or higher next year. Get it wrong and the club could take some time to recover and find itself back in Div 4.

I dont expect bonser to release any funds whatsoever. The money from Dann and fox will have gone straight towards the debt, of that i have no doubt. Next seasons budget will have been set by projected season ticket sales, which are undoubtedly lower than they were this time last year.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:27 pm

We have, in the space of 4 months, managed to drop out of the play offs, and now lose one of the best managers in our history.

Richard money has asked for more money cos he is AMBITOUS. Bonser has said No, and he has walked. Fair play to him.

BONSER OUT!

Will
UTS Regular

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:28 pm

That's the trouble when you have a decent manager - they always want to be ambitious and take the club forward - it doesn't really sit well with Bonser who's just protecting his interests and sitting on his cash cow. It was the same with Colin Lee when he wanted to take the club forward, and now Money.

Who the hell is gonna wanna come to us now - the only way is down. Cheers Jeff.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:29 pm

tinned wrote:Ain't gonna pretend I was ever his biggest fan but one thing I will say at least he had principles in the face of the most unambitious, short-sighted owner possible.

Time to sell up and ship out Bonser. Your time is up.

Exactly what I've just said on the E&S

At least he's a man of his word, **** manager, but a man of his word

[modded - language]

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:30 pm

Where are all the Bonser lovers now eh? I hope you all take long hard looks at yourself.

DISGRACE.

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:30 pm

Stu wrote:

You seriously think its a shock? Honestly?

I'm not surprised at all, he has been engineering himself an exit for a couple of months, if not longer, in my opinion. I questioned whether at one point his sniping at the fans was to get them to turn on him so he could walk away and blame us, maybe that's reading far too much into it. But his comments this week were the clearest indication yet that he is paving his way.

Personally I'm not that disappointed, maybe we'll see a slightly more attractive style of football, maybe we'll see someone who wants to work with the fans rather than against them.

As said though, the biggest worry is that this obviously means that the funds aren't there from JWB. Maybe his timing is right in the sense that I imagine JWB will be on the end of a severe backlash come Hartlepool!

I'd rather a manager who worked with the players! am absolutely fuming!! DD has done a great job with what he was given, our first ever championship in my time as a fan and who would have predicted us doing so well this season? weren't we favourites for relegation?

This is the final straw for me,not only has JB managed to rip apart the good team we had he's managed to get rid of the best manager we have had for a long time :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

RED 5
UTS Veteran

Location: CHEADLE HULME,CHEADLE ROYAL OR CHEADLE TOWN OR CHEADLE WITH A C

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:32 pm

Who moved the goalposts? wrote:

I thought it would happen at the end of the season. Weird timing really.

Kinsella anyone?

I wouldnt mind him as manager! Would work well with Jimmy Mullen. He was at the Bristol Rovers game!

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:34 pm

Let's be a wee bit sensible and rational about this until SOMEONE comes out and tells us the full story eh? (assuming we ever DO hear it)

We don't know what Mr Money asked for. If he walked in to see Mr Bonser and asked for a transfer kitty of, let's say, £500,000 for the new season, then we all know that was never going to happen. Now if Mr Money feels that that doesn't match his ambition for the club, then well done for having the integrity to walk away. Walsall just don't spend that sort of money though. We believe in picking up out-of-contract players for no fee, and to some extent, these days, I think that for a club like Walsall that might be the right strategy.

However, perhaps Mr Money just asked for a "respectable" playing budget and was told "no". In which case, of course we ALL have a right to be angry and disillusioned about this.

It's easy (with the prejudices we have) to jump on the bandwagon and say "look what Bonser's done now". We need to know both sides of this story before we can PROPERLY and RATIONALLY comment.

Fleaberto
UTS Regular

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:35 pm

So, what're the odds of Dickie turning up at Cov?

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:36 pm

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Where are all the Bonser lovers now eh? I hope you all take long hard looks at yourself.

DISGRACE.

Before you start on me, I am NOT a "Bonser-lover" as you put it.

At the same time, bearing in mind Mr Money's complete lack of tact and diplomacy in dealing with the fans...if he turned up to his big meeting with Mr Bonser and showed the same lack of communication skills, it's easy to see how it could quite easily go downhill to the point where he resigns and Mr Bonser is happy to accept.

I'm just saying that there are TWO sides to every story and we are only ASSUMING the one.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:36 pm

Fleaberto wrote:So, what're the odds of Dickie turning up at Cov?

What are the odds on DD turning up at an ambitous club?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:37 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:Let's be a wee bit sensible and rational about this until SOMEONE comes out and tells us the full story eh? (assuming we ever DO hear it)

We don't know what Mr Money asked for. If he walked in to see Mr Bonser and asked for a transfer kitty of, let's say, £500,000 for the new season, then we all know that was never going to happen. Now if Mr Money feels that that doesn't match his ambition for the club, then well done for having the integrity to walk away. Walsall just don't spend that sort of money though. We believe in picking up out-of-contract players for no fee, and to some extent, these days, I think that for a club like Walsall that might be the right strategy.

However, perhaps Mr Money just asked for a "respectable" playing budget and was told "no". In which case, of course we ALL have a right to be angry and disillusioned about this.

It's easy (with the prejudices we have) to jump on the bandwagon and say "look what Bonser's done now". We need to know both sides of this story before we can PROPERLY and RATIONALLY comment.

Come on shrops its not hard to work out is it?

In the last week we've had Mooney, Money and Betsy all complaining about the way the club sold its best two players and didnt replace them.

Money also went on to say he was seeking assurances regarding the budget for next season. 4 days later, he's walked.

Even Burnside could work out whats happened.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

****. We really aren't going to invest are we? :oops: :oops:

RED 5
UTS Veteran

Location: CHEADLE HULME,CHEADLE ROYAL OR CHEADLE TOWN OR CHEADLE WITH A C

Fleaberto wrote:So, what're the odds of Dickie turning up at Cov?

Dont think Cov will get rid of Chris Coleman!

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:38 pm

Falling apart at the seams now arn't we?

Well played JB, the firm foundations for next season's big push well and truely in place then?

Thanks to DD for at least getting us out of the hole that JB managed to get us into via the Merson fiasco, but clearly, like anyone with any common sense comes to realise, there isn't a shred of ambition for this club to be anything other than JB's cash cow.

We are a laughing stock.

stafflers
UTS Regular

Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:38 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:We need to know both sides of this story before we can PROPERLY and RATIONALLY comment.

I agree.

It's also interesting that a number of posters were demanding that Richard Money left a few weeks ago. If I recall correctly thread was called "eff off money" or something like that.

Now those very same people have exactly what they want and are demanding that Jeff Bonser "effs off" because they have what they called for a few weeks ago.

Some posts on here are pathetic.

Next
Return to You Said That Then