Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Uncle Jeff's Leaving Do.

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Uncle Jeff's Leaving Do.

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:26 pm

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:29 pm

Interesting comment below by a Mr Phil Burton, too.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:43 pm

Yes Bonser will retire & sell up one day, but why has this story been published today?
Last edited by Asps on Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:48 pm

Call the Samaritans, Jeff's gonna top himself.

Greg WP

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:54 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:Call the Samaritans, Jeff's gonna top himself.

Please dont call them.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:02 pm

King Crimson wrote:Interesting comment below by a Mr Phil Burton, too.

He's spot on as well.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:26 pm

tinned wrote:
King Crimson wrote:Interesting comment below by a Mr Phil Burton, too.

He's spot on as well.

Reading Phil's comment, it seems he wants a new owner that would only be interested in buying a football club that has a prime piece of real estate attached. Strangely enough, that's exactly the sort of person I want a million miles away from my football team.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:32 pm

It's more to with the fact that what kind of businessman is going to touch (let alone buy) a football club that barely breaks even and doesn't even own (what should be) it's main asset?

Joe90
Glitterati

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:08 pm

On a simple level, surely it's like Joe Average buying a house. Anyone in their right minds would prefer to buy Freehold over Leasehold.

Am I being over simplistic there?

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:11 pm

Anybody with a copy of the paper able to let us know if there are any more interesting titbits in the actual article?

I'm looking at you Cueball!

Interesting announcement from Jeff though. I thought his policy was that Walsall FC was perpetually 'on the market' i.e. he was always happy to listen to offers. Of course any previous potential bidders may have been put off by the fact that the freehold to Bescot isn't part of the deal. Are we to infer that this has now changed?

Burnside
UTS Regular

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:16 pm

In a way worrying.

In another way pleasing.

- We are in a better position than when he took over in the early 90s
- Will someone else look to expand the off field things that have driven us on like he has
- What kind of guy will buy the Club If its not a fan then i'm not happy
- WHY is he selling. Anything we do not know about

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:19 pm

Great news. I am delighted.

Burnside
UTS Regular

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:24 pm

Egoexsistiosumexistio

How old are you

When was your first game

Have you known anything else but Jeff Bonser.

Did you attend the first ever game at Bescot Stadium

Do you go regulary now.

Answer me these questions and i will tell you why your post above is a joke

Gaz the Train
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:27 pm

When is Doug Ellis buying us? surely we are about due that rumour now

WFCNIL

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:33 pm

No one other than JB is aware of how much he would be prepared to accept for the club, and in what way the deal would be structured. Any comments at the moment are pure speculation. The one thing you can be sure of is that any deal will be good for JB, and thats the way it should be its his business financed by his money. I do think though that he will sell to some one who can take us forward.

JB has reigned over the most succesfull and stable period in the history of Walsall football club. I for one thank him for that and hope that we can find an individual or group of individuals who can build on that stability and sound financial base.
UTS

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:34 pm

Ego Sum Ego Existo wrote:Great news. I am delighted.

20 years the most successful period in the history of Walsall Football Club . and of course Jeff Bonser has played no part in that. :roll:

WFCNIL

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:40 pm

Duke wrote:
Ego Sum Ego Existo wrote:Great news. I am delighted.

20 years the most successful period in the history of Walsall Football Club . and of course Jeff Bonser has played no part in that. :roll:

Certain individuals seem to have a short and selective memory when it comes to Jeff Bonser. Yes he has made many mistakes who hasant over a twenty year period. But when you think of what came before him, the Harrisons, Wheldon, Ramsden etc and were we were when he took control he has done a half decent job.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:43 pm

tinned wrote:It's more to with the fact that what kind of businessman is going to touch (let alone buy) a football club that barely breaks even and doesn't even own (what should be) it's main asset?

A fan?

Seriously, if anyone buys a football club thinking it is a for-profit organisation is an idiot. In fact, they are so clueless about the football business that they shouldn't be anywhere near a football club either. What you need in an owner is two-fold:
1. Keeping the finances on an even keel, despite the unpredictability of on-field results and the pressure from fans+manager to spend, spend, spend ("speculate to accumulate" is what they will falsely label it).
2. Making wise decisions about the overall operation of the club, most importantly over the hire and fire of the manager.

Apart from one period (we all know when), JB has done both those things well. Much better than most other chairmen out there, in fact. I really hope that when he finally calls it a day, we get someone else like him.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:45 pm

Burnside wrote:Egoexsistiosumexistio

How old are you 20

When was your first game 1987

Have you known anything else but Jeff Bonser. Yes, lots that you do not know.

Did you attend the first ever game at Bescot Stadium. Yes I did.

Do you go regulary now. I went to every single game last season, and the majority this season whilst not stateside. I also have been a season ticket holder for the past 15 years.

Still a joke?

WFCNIL

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:47 pm

Ego Sum Ego Existo wrote:

How old are you 20

Do you go regulary now. I went to every single game last season, and the majority this season whilst not stateside. I also have been a season ticket holder for the past 15 years.

Still a joke?

Hilarious :lol: :lol:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:47 pm

But WFCNIL, thats the way opinions are going to be. When there isn't anyone else to compare Bonser too, opinions will not be formed by matter of whether the club is successful compared to previous periods in history, but rather the minutae and the could-have-beens.

Whatsmore, saying this is our most successful period in history is unfair, there was a time when we regularly attracted over 12,000 to games.

Granted, we've been comparatively stable over the last 17 or so years, but thats been in the interest of Jeff Bonser - a perpetual state of mediocraty - he knows we'll keep turning up, and he doesn't have to pump any cash in. We arguably aren't a much better club than we were when we moved to Bescot, our attendances and PR are marginally better, but we aren't any richer financially despite a huge off the field operation. We've had a brief spell in the division above, which left us with a severe hangover - so if the question is: Has Jeff Bonser taken us forward, improved our PR and attendances and geared us up for life in the division above, then the answer is no.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:49 pm

How old are you 20

Still a joke?

how can you count your first game as 1987, whilst saying your 20. You can't have paid much attention to the game at the tender age of 8 months [or whatever you were] :lol:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:50 pm

philthesaddler wrote:

How old are you 20

Still a joke?

how can you count your first game as 1987, whilst saying your 20. You can't have paid much attention to the game at the tender age of 8 months [or whatever you were] :lol:

I was there tho!! :D

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:52 pm

Can I also say that all these people defending Bonser are obviously blind, and they know nothing about our football club. Sooner he is gone the better.

Burnside
UTS Regular

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:52 pm

How old are you 20

Still a joke?

Yes. Massive Joke.

1) You cannot grasp the problems we had before Jeff Bonser
2) You should know that when Jeff took over. There was Bescot Stadium. No Conferances. No Markets. No Adverts. Limited off field activities. Even less on the pitch.

You have not known anything apart from Jeff Bonser steering this football club.

We are lucky to have him.

He has his faults.

But his heart is in the right place.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:55 pm

Oh no no. Again your spouting tripe. His heart is in the right place yes, the corporate side. And maybe that is a good thing, but Not for me.

Burnside
UTS Regular

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:58 pm

Tripe.

Says the young lad who thinks money grows on trees and that we should spend what we haven't got.

I tell you what.

Never mind trying to remember 18-19 years ago when you were messing nappies up and playing in your high chair, think 4 or 5 ago when we over spent in the championship and are just recovering.

For gods sake. Thats not tripe it is in your face TRUTH

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:58 pm

philthesaddler wrote:But WFCNIL, thats the way opinions are going to be. When there isn't anyone else to compare Bonser too, opinions will not be formed by matter of whether the club is successful

You could compare him to other chairman in the league. He certainly shows up favourably then. Better than average, certainly. But, sure, we can assess whether the club has been successful
philthesaddler wrote:Whatsmore, saying this is our most successful period in history is unfair, there was a time when we regularly attracted over 12,000 to games.

Second most successful then - can we agree on that? And even that's being quite generous to you, bearing in mind we had that sort of average attendance only when attendances across the whole country were much higher. And that we spent four seasons out of five in the Championship - better than ever before - and now seem to be heading back in that direction again.
philthesaddler wrote:Granted, we've been comparatively stable over the last 17 or so years, but thats been in the interest of Jeff Bonser

So what? It's not in the interest of Walsall FC to be 'comparatively stable'? And I would say that is his most important job, not to be brushed aside like it's meaningless. And it has come at a time when dozens of other clubs have had to go into administration.
philthesaddler wrote:a perpetual state of mediocraty

Four promotions and only our second piece of silverware ever is certainly not mediocre.

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:00 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
Seriously, if anyone buys a football club thinking it is a for-profit organisation is an idiot.

Ask Uncle Jeff how much profit he has made out of Walsall FC.

He must be the richest 'idiot' in football!

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:01 pm

Burnside wrote:Tripe.

Says the young lad who thinks money grows on trees and that we should spend what we haven't got.

I tell you what.

Never mind trying to remember 18-19 years ago when you were messing nappies up and playing in your high chair, think 4 or 5 ago when we over spent in the championship and are just recovering.

For gods sake. Thats not tripe it is in your face TRUTH

Where did I say we should spend money we havent got? INventing stuff to back yourself up? tut tut. Please dont call me a young lad andf patronise me, because I will run rings around you.

Explain the VSA for me please.

Next
Return to UTS Classics