Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Millwall (h) - League - 8th March 2003

Reports and reaction from the 2002-03 season as Walsall finished 17th in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Millwall (h) - League - 8th March 2003

Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:04 am

By Paul G (62.31.220.168) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 07:21 pm: Edit

Fabulous attacking football. We looked a threat every time we came forward and could have had more. Shame that was only the last 7 minutes.

Where do these performances come from? Sheff Utd and Stoke revisited. Every single player performed well below their optimum and generally looked uninterested in the game. No passion and poor tactics. No one in the stands or on the radio seemed to know if we were playing 4-3-3- or 4-5-1. No one on the pitch seemed to know either.

Shuker looked lost and had too many high balls played up to him. Robinson was awful. Barras marked fresh air for much of the game. Bazely had probably his worst game in a Walsall shirt. Was Pedro really MOTM? For the second time in 2 weeks we let an ordinary side low on confidence run rings around us.

By Cannock (213.48.83.70) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 07:30 pm: Edit

Shocking performance today. We were well and truly beaten by an excellent Millwall side. We should have been 3-0 down at half time and it was only Walker and Wrack's blump buttocks that kept us on level terms. Millwall attacked with width, pace and Ifill and Harris took us to the cleaners. They were a joy to watch. What was our response? To continue with hopeless "passing" of the ball in a totally clueless manner.
The attributes that Millwall showed in abundance were sadly lacking from our lot today.
Millwall fully deserved the 3 points

As an aside, why do we allow opposition players to dribble from their own penalty box into our box without any decent challenges being put in. Rubbish and Pants.

By readingsaddler (62.253.64.9) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 07:30 pm: Edit

you can never be happy with walsall for more than two weeks because they just dont seem to be able to keep their consitence. Did brighton really win did sheff wednesday actually draw with leicester and beat coventry 5-1 the tides are turning and i dont like it one bit. Meanwhile all the reading fans i took the michael out of last season have taken their revenge.

By Frank Stubbs (64.12.96.231) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 08:42 pm: Edit

Realiy bites again,i have been prattling on for ages about just getting through to the summer then we must get rid of excess baggage.The reality of the situation is that ok Barras has had a good and excellent game,and Pedro after a cameo has played the last three.Today just reinforces the fact that although the pair are much loved they must be released as they are simply just not good enough.I am not trying to fit anybody into scapegoat jackets todays non event was down to more than these two Jorge was non exsistent and i wish the real Jorge Leitao would stand up Bazeley is as reliable as we can afford but was responsible for the first goal Roper had a mare,but still my player of the season.Robinson was poor today but i still hope we can sign him because at this moment we dont have a midfield for next season although it can be argued we have,nt one at the moment.
By my standards i am going on a bit but i am just pissed off by what i have seen today,i have said all along we won't go down and i stick by that.We must beat B*****Y next week because if we don't my life is going to be hell ,living in the midst of the Claret scum
Onwards and Upwards

By Frank Stubbs (64.12.96.231) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 08:45 pm: Edit

D F it is 7.50 pm and you have'nt been on to ask for Lees removal......
Are you well big Daz?

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.74) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 09:22 pm: Edit

Today a new feature for UTS, a match report, brought to you in the style of Dave (I dont get to many games) Hawkes' website.

At two minutes to three the teams lined up in Red and Blue, outside Woolworths in Whitley Bay. The Blue team had sqiggly writing on their shirts and looked a bit neandertall as they alighted the stag-do minibus - clearly Evertonians. "Where's the pub ark" shouted one of the red shirted ones as three o-clock approached. It was going to be a long afternoon.

The first ten minutes were fairly uneventful, much pushing and shoving in Tom Owens fruit and veg shop. There was an opening near the bananas, but it was out of reach to customers, just a little back room where the strange man who re-fils the shelves was having a cup of tea and a woodbine.

Then out of the mediocrity the afternoon threatened to boil over. "Ouch you stupid... as a Granny with a blue rinse trod on my in-growing toenail. "are you blind?" I implored, as if to an imaginary referee. Clearly she was, also deaf, and judging by the smell probably a touch incontinant. It was however deemed accidental, just handbag stuff really, and the afternoon petered on much as before - ie. pretty boring.

As half-time approached it was clearly time for a change. I looked at the bench. Whose on it today? A rather plump couple eating chips talking in accents similar to those I heard at Rotherham on Tuesday night. Next to them a North Shields Kappa Slappa. She squirmed and wriggled on her less than substantial buttocks twirling the trailing end of her bubble gum seductively with the middle digit of her left hand. In fact buttocks was probably a bit of an exaggeration. It was really just a fanny with sides. Was she up for it? No, probably a bit too inexperienced. Half-time 0-0.

The second half began in Fitzgeralds bar. Suddenly the Red team expolded into celebration. "There's only one hadji doofa" they sang in scouse twang while a mobile phone banged out a monotone version of you'll never walk alone. Liverpool had scored. But what was happening at Bescot??

I needed dutch courage before acquiring that knowledge. "Pint of Stella and a brandy chaser?" inquired the cloth-eared bint behind the bar. "No thanks" I said "I'm trying to cut down now the missus is expecting, just a pint and a half of John Smiths a bag of scratchings, a cheese roll, and ten pound coins for the gambler". The afternoon was about to take a turn for the worse.

For twenty minutes I watched the big screen, men in blue and green fouling each other, rolling around on the grass, grabbing each other by the ears, b$llocks, or whatever they could get their hands on. Jesus, I thought we can't get relegated into this league, its absolute garbage.

Then with ten minutes to go...the ref blew for full-time. Suddenly the penny dropped, it wasn't Chesterfiled versus Plymouth Argle, but some kind of fat blokes challenge between Ireland and France.

Just ten minutes left, nothing for it now I'm gonna have to go back to the house and put the telly on. Round they flicked, all the Scottish leagues against a backdrop of Goeff Stelling's anti Darlington witisisms, and then horror of horrors 0-2! Oh sh!t, I can't sit still, is there any housework needs doing?.

The cat sensing the atmosphere change growled defensively and took up a position behind the cheese plant. Suddenly the hoover started, he used his years of experience of such situations and ran... through the legs of the table, skidding momentarily on the laminate floor of the kitchen then into the relative safety of the back yard.

Meanwhile, what was that I heard through the drone oof the Dyson, "Goal at the Bescot,
and its gone to £$&all" Whoooo
Walsall or Millwall,
Millwall or Walsall
whooooo could it be?

I killed the noise of the hoover just in time to here the news..
Junior 85 minutes..YESSSS!
Hope sprang eternal. Suddenly there were possibities all over the house. I'd spotted some Stella that had been left over from Christmas when tidying the garage earlier.
I knew there was cheese in the fridge, and bread. If only we could get that equaliser I could have a cheese sandwich and a bottle of Stella in the bath while listening to 606
- ohhh what smug luxury could be afforded by the completion of this late comeback.

Please Geoff go back to the Bezla one more time, I don't care if its 1-3
just say the magic words.

Then in that horrible black type that says "no more goals 'till next time".
full-time, 1-2.

The cat peered around the corner fearing the worst.
"Come in boy" I said reassuringly, "nobody gets beaten up after Millwall games these days".

Moment of the match: Got a lovely plump colly in Tom Owens, we'll have that tomorrow with a bit of roast beef.

Moan of the match: Too many Jocks and scousers in my local again this really has to stop.

Next in town: Burnley at home. Prediction: Might go to the butchers and get some Chicken fillets. May even give the Station Hotel a try, hear they do nice hot pork sanwiches and cheap Kronenburg.

By pseudonym (195.92.168.165) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 09:40 pm: Edit

now that you have slagged Geoff off to another board, do you feel you need to replace his elongated posts with your inane ramblings Geordie?
I see Dave Hawkes seems to now be the target of your bile.
I hope you and Sheff will be very happy on here together.(LoL)

By Exile (203.96.111.237) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 09:55 pm: Edit

No pleasing anybody these days Geordie!

Shame about your match day experience. And the result, come to think of it!

I'm still confident- this is the Walsall I know and love; wildly inconsistent and not sure of what they are from one game to the next, but somehow getting away with it. This takes me way back to my youth, but that's another thread altogether.

Cheers all
Exile

By Stu (195.92.67.69) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 10:12 pm: Edit

Put quite simply, we lost to a better side. I've got to disagree Paul, they weren't an ordinary side. Sadlier returned for his first start in months (I think) and ran us ragged. They'd obviously done their homework, they shut down the flanks as soon as possible and closed us down constantly in the middle. We hadn't a clue what to do in response.

As for 4-5-1 or 4-3-3! I don't see what the problem , we played both. You go 4-5-1 when defending to keep men behind the ball and go 4-3-3 when attacking. Reading do it superbly, but they break with a lot of speed and men going forward (Salako or Tyson on the left and Chadwick now on the right, Forster's speed up front and one of Hugher/Harper breaking through the middle). Unfortunately, Pedro has the speed of a snail and always has had.

We resorted to long balls to our target man, sorry, I mean Shuker. Poor lad must have felt like he'd wasted a valuable afternoon, same goes for Jorge who had no support.

I know some people here like Barras for his heart & passion, but as I said weeks ago, he is a 2nd division defender. He is good against the likes of Brighton, Bradford and Rotherham who don't have an abundance of quality, but good centre forwards take advantage. Harris and Sadlier made him look like a 3rd division defender this afteroon I'm afraid.

They had the measure of Junior as soon as he came on, always inviting/forcing him to go onto this right foot.

To summarise, we were quite simply beaten by a better side. A side who used the ball well, who had movement up front and players who provided width, speed and movement behind the front two. A lesson in how to cause your opposition problems.

We've proved you can get into Division 1 on the cheap, you can even stop up on the cheap (albeit you'll struggle). If we now want to move on to the next level, you can't do it on the cheap. You might say Rotherham have done it on the cheap but McIntosh (£125k), Lee (£150k), Barker (£100k), Byfield (£50k) and Mullin (£100k/£150k), Pollit (£75k) even they have spent money over the last 2 seasons to get to where they are now!
Our players might be good enough to be mid-table, but they're not consistent enough to be mid-table.

Oh well, bring on Burnley... We'll stop up without the nail-biting finish of last season at least.

By EDUCATED SADDLER (195.93.49.12) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 10:50 pm: Edit

PSEUDONYM.....Its called black humour not inane ramblings by the North Eastern one, black humour that served us well through the dark days of Hibbittdom days alien to you probably as all days were before Cardiff 2001.You are probably better catered for on the other site where they cor spel and do a pretty mean line in personal abuse....
TARAH A BIT.

By Paul G (62.31.219.156) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 12:27 am: Edit

Fair comments Stu - by ordinary I really meant over the 5-6 games prior to today. They should have been there for the taking as were Stoke. Hats off to Millwall who deserved to win today.

I fully expect a revamped side with Aranalde, Carbon and Wrack in midfield to turn Burnly over next saturday.

By RushallSaddler (195.182.163.26) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 01:02 am: Edit

Well summed up Stu, you've more or less echoed my thoughts after todays lacklustre performance, even CL was at a loss to explain it, we didn't show any signs of improvement until he changed it to 4-4-2 with Pedro wide left and corica on the right, but it was quite simply too late should have changed it at half time, I would have preferred us to start with that formation but CL obviously wanted to stick with the same eleven who had performed so well in the previous two games, but Bradford & Rotherham are nowhere near as skilful as Millwall. Ifil, Sadlier and Harris really looked the business today, if they'd have played together all season I think Millwall would certainly be in the top six by now (wasn't that the same forward line they had in our promotion season), oh for a couple of forwards like Sadlier and Harris, we can only dream, but their midfield also performed, kept posssession well and always seemed to pass to another blue shirt, something we find increasingly difficult to do, which I can't understand, considering the Midfield talent we have at the club.
It seems to be turning out like I said a few weeks ago we would probably get more points from the remaining away games than the home games.
Another difficult looking home game next week against a Burnley side on a decent run looking to make a late surge into the playoffs, but we do have a good home record against Burnley unlike Millwall, we've also got a decent home record against Norwich and Pompey (who still have to visit Bescot). UPTHESADDLERS

By Shifnalsaddler (213.1.45.2) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 02:56 am: Edit

Geordie, the cat hiding behind the cheese plant shows extreme tactical naivety. The cat would be better employed taking up a position behind the television, this is far less negative and far less isolated. Being pushed around in Tom Owens showed a lack of physical presence, is no work done at all on the training ground? SORT IT OUT GEORDIE BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE!!!!!!

By 4two_TSFC (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 03:03 am: Edit

Anyone else concerned about Ian Ropers distribution? And at what stage does it become such a problem that it overides his outstanding defensive capabilities and leads to the fans and the staff thinking of leaving him out.

no attacking or blaming Ropes here, just a growing concern i have.

and...i know he is crap, but are we missing Zigor?

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.194.16) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 10:04 am: Edit

Psuedonymn - I was described on another board by Dave Hawkes as "another loser from UTS" on the now deleted thread. So my post was intended as a light-hearted retort, hopefully to relieve the misery we were feeling after the Millwall defeat.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.194.16) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 10:42 am: Edit

Anyway nice to see that someone with that IP back on the board, just can't leave it alone can yer mate?

By Shifnalsaddler (62.7.148.16) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 11:18 am: Edit

4two, get real. Leave Roper out? We'd have about 25 points this season. His distribution is poor, but we have to live with it. He makes up for it with superb defensive displays. We'd have lost at Rotherham and Bradford without him (and Walker).

Are we missing Aranalde? Yeah, if what we need is someone who makes catastrophic mistakes, can't take throw ins, gives the ball away when under no pressure, goes AWOL regularly, and can't cope with players running at him (Ifill would have murdered him yesterday, as he has before).
We miss Wrack in midfield, but no way are we missing Aranalde, we've looked much better without him over the three games. Geordies cat would be more effective even hiding behind the cheese plant.

There are huge problems we have, Roper ain't one of them, but Aranalde is. Why Lee gave him a three year contract is one of lifes mysteries.

By 4two (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 11:26 am: Edit

Shifnal, i never said LEAVE HIM OUT ! I asked the question, and you have given the same answer that i would.

We have to live with it because i dont think we have another centre half who wins as much of the ball as Roper. But if only he could play balls a bit better then we would be a better side...

By Shifnalsaddler (62.7.148.16) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 11:51 am: Edit

No we wouldn't, because he'd be playing in the Prem or for a big club.
He has pace, strength, determination, desire, reads situations well, an almost perfect player at our level. So he can't pass very well, good job or he'd be out of here. Plenty of our other players can't pass either, but they don't have the good qualities Roper has.
He's our player of the season by a mile, if you are going to start picking on him, then there is no pleasing you.

I broke the habit of several months and went on your msg board today to have a look at the Geoff thread everyone has been on about. Can't find it, but did find some rubbish (am I allowed to say rubbish?) that you've posted about Roper. Just a thought, when Roper was playing and getting slagged years ago, I (along with many others) stuck to my guns and said he would become an excellent player. He has done, so why listen to your dad? I'm afraid he was wrong wasn't he? When he said Roper was sh!t back in the mid nineties.
Your dad asked why Roper was playing? Unbelievable. I don't care about the views of people who never see us, unless it's genuine exiles like Belgium, or Cat3, or the Anzac crowd, but you should know better.

Roper has put in so many good displays this season, why single him out, after one afternoon when he fell below his own very high standards?

Give me strength.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.194.13) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 12:28 pm: Edit

Shifnal - the Geoff thread which became an excellent discussion about the merits of message boards and free speach (amongst other things) was deleted! Probably the best thread they've ever had on there, and definately one of the most popular - up to over 80 posts before the plug got pulled. Briefly that board became a message board in the proper sense rather than some kind of moaners mutual appreciation society.

As for the use of the word Rubbish, it was that word that kicked off the whole thing, so from my point of view good to see it used again, its a great word and like all great words in our great language should be employed where appropriate.

I've read those comments about Roper too - they are discgraceful ramblings from people who wallow in every defeat and poor performance, lacing their opinions with personal snipes at whoever played worse, this week its Roper's turn. Just imagine if Roper himself was reading that after the way he played at Bradford and Millmoor? If anyone is entitled to have an occasional off day its Roper, his display at Valley Parade was possibly the best I've seen from a centre-half in a Walsall shirt. As a player and as a human being he has shown tremendous fortitude to overcome the problems he had early in his career, that included a spell on the list under Graydon. Seldom these days do you see players work as hard to improve. If we could bottle the essence of what he has and give it to some of the other lazy tossers who consistently underperform we'd be laughing, well we would - I can think of people in another place that wouldn't.

By Shifnalsaddler (212.140.114.57) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 12:37 pm: Edit

Agreed - except that I think his performance at Coventry was even better than the one last week. I've seen some good centre backs at Walsall over the years, it's an area we've traditionally been strong in, but Ropes is the best I think.

Why delete a thread that was popular and which had people talking? I'm confused by that, as I am by so much of modern life.

By Frank Stubbs (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 01:30 pm: Edit

Shifnal did you get a knockback last night?
Right about Roper i said he had a mare yesterday and he was entitled to one to.Ropers performances do'nt surprise me because his qualitys have been there for some time.I remember QPR away under Graydon where he was colossal nothing unusual rhere but this was in the middle of the ritual monday morning berating over his girth,that shows the character and resolve of the bloke.
Aside i know Rotherham was the exception but i always prefer Hay or Carbon alongside him

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.67) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 01:51 pm: Edit

Exile raised that very point on their web site Shif, the reasons given by site admin were:- "Made people feel uncomfortable".
All good debates do surely? Make you question your opinions and beliefs, that's what its all about in my book.

- "Put other people off using the board." -
Clearly nonsense as the thread was the most popular ever.

- "Created the type of atmosphere that should not be present on a fansite."
Give me strength! Is this site admin related to Goeballs?

- "Involved direct personal insults and abuse".
Only to a very minor extent, most of the abuse was directed at me under my real name of David Foulkes. Cannock had a good go as ever, but we have to forgive Cannock his tantrums, and I didn't mind a bit. The reason I posted under my real name was because Geoff was feeling uncomfortable about psuedonyms, to anyone with half a brain who uses this board it was obvious who I was.

- "Add your own reasons to this list".
One of the reasons that wasn't mentioned was that Geoff Whiting requested the thread to be erased.

- "Most of all the thread did not look like it was going to have a conclusion, and remarks like the Dictorial nature of the admin are a bit harsh because that thread was removed for all the right reasons".

Well since when do threads have to have a conclusion? Utter garbage in my book.

Still I enjoyed it while it lasted, it looks as though Exile's thread is now kicking off a bit - he's now getting plenty of stick and personal abuse from the civilised regulars on Saddlersfc.tk, and the users of this board are getting stick too, as ever being described as gutles and testicleless by those brave folks who post under their real names rather than psuedonyms.

Seems to me there's a real corelation between folk who use their real names and the size of chip on shoulder.

I leave the last word to Dave Hawkes, In my book one of the most boring and egocentric posters this board has ever known, his contribution to Exile's thread includes the classic:

"So get of your high horse Exile and stop being so ridiculous. The thread was pathetic. There was even someone using the name 'David Foulkes' which was obviously a pun on my name. Quite how I got brought into it all I don't know".

Well there you are now!! That after DH said to me last week David Foulkes Reveal your true identitiy!" To which I replied that was my true identity!!

These people need to remember that Shifnalsaddler, Geordiesaddler, Mr Poo Poo etc. are not real names, they are the psuedo identities of folk trying to have a chat and a laugh on this fabulous new medium.

For the Dave Hawkes, Ian Hemmings, and Geoff Whitings of this world the boundary between light-hearted cyber-reality and reality itself has become frighteningly blurred.

Anyway I'm off down the pub, come on Mr Poo Poo get yer coat on its forecast rain.

By sjlawton13 (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 02:45 pm: Edit

Geordie for someone into the banter and who likes a good argument you are taking this a bit serious.In a sense you are cutting your nose off to spite your face.If you mean what you say you should be over there starting a new thread revisting the same stuff.I,ve got a couple of questions:

Is this the first Board war and Geordie do you see yourself as the natural leader of the psuedonyms?

Who started the War?

Are conscientious objectors allowed? or should they be shot?

Would some sort of mediation be possible and would you pay for such a service?

War in the Babylon tribal in the Babylon

"The liver is evil it must be punished"

By Salop Saddler (213.78.123.28) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 02:51 pm: Edit

I have to say that, in my opinion, Roper has emerged this season with a great deal of credit. If we can maintain our division one status this season then I feel he could really blossom into a very fine player indeed next year. A ready made skipper. I do believe that he his a far better player with Hay alongside, and very much look forward to seeing them paired up again in the very near future.

Shifnal. I feel dreadfully sorry for Wrack, being pushed into his current role. Yesterday I think that his shortcomings were exposed by a team exploiting width in the way Millwall did, but hat's off to the lad, I do rate him. A latterday Nick Athey in my veiw, never gives less than 100%. I would have prefered to see Pedro and Wrack swap roles yesterday though, but that's history now.

Away from football and with regard to all the recent goings on. I think that both boards have something to offer, as I said in another posting, I hadn't even visited that site until last week, and have posted a few item's on there under my real name of Colin Price, and will continue to do so. (I can't use my name on here as the its alreay been taken!??!) and just for the record, I'm not a budding meglamaniac nor am I a pipe and slippers type of person!

Anyway, back to the football. I still think a major signing for Lee is a valid number two. I've suggested Alan Buckley. The odd rant and rave from the Buck might just be what we need at the moment to gee up a few people.

By popperpancake (81.77.162.183) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 03:16 pm: Edit

That performance made me as angry as stoke. Apart from all the things said above and radio wm after the game, why does CL allow his team to go out against teams on very poor runs of form and let them settle into the game? We did it at stoke and we did it today.....it really frustrates me that we don't/won't ever get at teams early. Having not been at bradford or rotherham i can't really comment on the performances / tactics....but IMO we should play 442...barras is not a div 1 defender.....junior and jorge should always play up front.....i actually think that CL tinkering with the formation on a regular basis has decreased our number of points gained rather than increased. We always look more comfortable with 442.

By David Forks (62.7.129.60) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 03:20 pm: Edit

I have a web site but I can't get to Fellows Park because it is too far. Come on the blues, give the ball to Alan Blockley and let him stick it in the net. My favourite player is David Pierce, and our best manager is Doug Mackay.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.164) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 03:22 pm: Edit

At risk of inflaming the situation, which is the direct opposite of my real intention, can I remind everyone that this whole thing all started as a rather petty disagreement on UTS after we won an away match for the first time since last September. Since then it has got totally out of hand and in my opinion people are saying a lot of things about others that they normally would not even dream of coming out with.

Despite yesterday's near-repeat of our Sheff United and Sjoke performances, which many (including me) had been confident was not likely to be repeated, we should all be jumping up in the air with one another to celebrate the giant step toward safety that happened a week ago when we won and every one of our bottom 6 rivals lost.

Today, last week's comfortable 11 point gap is down to a rather less comfortable 8 points, though that should still be sufficient unless :

a) we cave in completely - I can't see CL allowing that to happen
b) at least two of the bottom four can achieve a run of victories that on recent form looks unlikely.

I would like to think that we can focus our efforts on supporting the Saddlers - that is what is needed right now - and if that means us all shouting from the Purple, the Banks's and even from us older 'uns who are perceived as the main occupants of the HL Fellows - then that is what we should be doing. All this back-biting will do nothing towards that end, yet that is the only end that matters, Division One survival for the Saddlers.

As a first step towards reconciliation of these sites, which have existed alongside one another so well for so long, I am offering the olive branch to Geordie and all others. No matter what has gone on before, it is best put behind us and despatched to an old floppy disk at the back of the box. Then if Geordie and all will take up the branch, let's all get behind the lads for the last vital 10 games.

To me, anything else is a waste of our energy.

UP THE SADDLERS - it's why we're here !

I would like to add two further things before I go away to await the expected grenades.

Geordie, may I congratulate you on your "Match Report" at 8.22 last night. It is without doubt the most brilliant and amusing post I have ever read on any site. I enjoyed it immensely and can only wonder where you find the ideas and the words to compose such a masterpiece. I did not know about your poetic background previously but you have now confirmed that of course on tsfc.tk. My congratulations are sincere, please do not anybody accuse me of some a**e-sniffing exercise over this - it is not. I think to do that would be to de-value Geordie's report, and that should not happen.

And Dave Roe, thank you for the fantastic post you put on the "What would you like to bring back" thread - I think anyone from 40 upwards would have related very much to it - superb !

By BOREDSADDLER (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 03:34 pm: Edit

Is that the best you can come up with Chesney Hawkes or is it EAN EMMINS or 3x2 or3inchu know who
YAWN YAWN YAWN

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.194.15) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 06:27 pm: Edit

Cheers Geoff. I think you know that I've got absolutely nothing whatsoever against you personally. Our views and methods may differ widely, but our intentions are equally honourable, and our love of WFC likewise. All the best, and thanks for the post and welcome back, I hope you continue to post here because I value all opinions about WFC, I love the ones I don't agree with because they give me something to get stuck into, and that to me is what its all about.

By 4two (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 06:30 pm: Edit

Back to the Roper Issue, if we voted on player of the season now i would vote for Roper or Jimmy.

The point i was making was that someone who had not seen him play all that often remarked on his poor distribution that has always been a charecter of his game. That all, not slating him. I wish folk would get the point on this one. Its not rubbish, its a realistic opinion that im allowed to have.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.194.15) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 06:43 pm: Edit

As for David Hawkes, well I'm sorry but I havn't got anything positive to say about the guy. He routinely chooses the internet as his weopon to insult and degrade loyal WFC fans on this site with his comments on Saddlersfc.tk Some of the people whom he targets are long standing supporters who have travelled all over the country watching the Saddlers for decades - myself included. I can only say in his defence that he is merely a young boy who spends most of his leisure time on his computer at his mam and dads house in Pelsall which I suppose is fair enough in this day and age.

To me he is fair game to have the p!ss r!pped well and truely out of him and I intend to do exactly that now that my alternative match report has been endorsed by the one and only Geoff Whiting.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.169) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 06:54 pm: Edit

Thanks Geordie for taking this in the spirit that was intended, which I have to say is exactly what I had expected. The feelings are mutual.

By Dave Hawkes (81.135.30.91) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 07:21 pm: Edit

You haven't got a clue have you Geordie. I don't run that fudge website. I gave it up last July. It's now run by a completely different team, and I have nothing to do with it. I post one or two messages per week on their message board, usually after a match, and I have never slated the supporters of Walsall Football Club. I don't like this message board, that's true, but I have never ever tried to degrade the supporters of Walsall football club. For Gods sake, I stay away from this board, have only started a new site very recently, a site which I have not once plugged anywhere across the Internet, I make the occasional comment on The Saddlers FC site, and yet I'm still 'fair game' for abuse. What a warped little world you live in Geordie.

I thought what Exile said about me earlier today was bad enough, even though he got it totally wrong, but that's pathetic Geordie. Still, have fun taking the •••• for no reason.

By Cannock (62.31.216.165) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 07:24 pm: Edit

Ropes is without doubt one of the best centre halves i can remember seeing at Walsall. I must admit however that my assessment of players' qualities is absolutely cack as i remember mumbling to myself many moons ago " Christ he will never make a decent footballer as long as i have a hole up my ar$e". Shifnal is quite right, if the bloke could pass a ball along with his other outstanding attributes he wouldn't be with us.

By Hans Blix (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 07:47 pm: Edit

The Final Solution.
Some people like UTS
Some people like Saddlers.tk
Every board has it's own forum that attracts differant people.

Maybe some people do not like the banter and the ribbing on here, so they choose to go to SaddlersTk.Maybe some people do not like the forum on SaddlersTK and see it as a little quiet or placid, so they come here.Maybe some people love talking about football so much they use all the forums.Maybe some people do not like the personalities on other sites so do not frequant them as much.

The bottom line of it is that the web is a Microcosm of soceity, we are all differant personalities. But for a group of people with the same goal at heart to insult, argue and row with each other seems childish. So lets end it here. And accept the differance that exist and use the place(s) we like most with being like a bunch of 11 year olds.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.165) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 08:10 pm: Edit

Well I'm for that Mr Weapons Inspector. Do we take it this can go ahead without a second UN Resolution ?

By Exile (203.97.2.243) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 08:13 pm: Edit

Ah, the internet, surely a weapon of mass destruction!

By Paul G (62.31.219.78) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 08:30 pm: Edit

Geoff if three posts in one afternoon indicates you have retirned to UTS then please allow me to echo Geordie's welcome back. I hope that we can continue to disagree or agree for many seasons to come but also that we can celebrate when our team allows us to.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.165) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 08:35 pm: Edit

Thank you Paul, I am all for that, I have applied thicker skin etc. so anticipate no further problems if we have minor contre-temps in future mate.

Cheers for now.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.68) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 08:36 pm: Edit

No sorry Dave H but I have got a clue. I don't care what website or other you run, which ever it is you boringly plug it with every flatulent and substanceless post you infest the internet with. You do routinely denegrade the users of this website, most of whom are diehard Walsall fans, the posts are there for all to see on SaddlersFC.tk unless they have been deleted along with the Geoff thread. You actually acused me of inventing my own name as a means of having a go at you. You are at best a complete waste of space.

You were when you posted on here, you are now you post on Saddlersfc.tk, and you will continue to be where-ever you go. The worst thing about the likes of you, that seperates you from the like of every other person in this debate is that even when confronted with the kind of evidence of your own total incompetence and twerp, of a type that would make Geoffrey Archer blush you havn't got an Apology in you. You have been revealed as the biggest w@ankstain in the history of WFC online, and I am proud to be the man that revealed you as thus, now GO AWAY.

By THE JOUST (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 08:44 pm: Edit

Geordie
Unfortunately David Hawkes isnt the biggest barclays in the history of Walsall on line he shares the title equally with Ian Hemmings.......
I think that clarifys everything

By sjlawton13 (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 09:03 pm: Edit

Please stop I,ve been reading this board for days now it,s bloody addictive I,ve got a wife and kids who wonder what I doing upstairs on the net.They wouldn,t believe me if I tried to expain.It,s been a wonderful thing, a thing of beauty, of passion,it,s been a 1960s happening.
Earlier on today my wife was reading the match report by Geordie and like Geoff she thought it was fantasic, funny and eloquent, she could not believe it.

Really I've got loads of paperwork I must stop reading this.I think I have got to know people on here a little better and yes I,m afraid of the poet from the North.Respect man.

But I still think you are a little hard and don,t know when to stop.Egos have been damaged well the more fragile ones-but on the other hand your No social worker are you Geordie.

By Cannock (62.31.216.165) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 09:17 pm: Edit

Dr Foulkes

Tragically, i suffer from schizophrenia. As a general rule of thumb, on Thursdays and Fridays i tend to worry that maybe Colin Lee is somewhat lacking in the tactical and coaching awareness stakes. However, on Sundays and Mondays i am totally convinced that he hasn't a clue. Can you help me please.

Secondly, i purchased some high quality timber and an electric plane today in order to replace my garage door frame. Whilst planing the timber my thoughts drifted onto the shortcomings of our current leader and caused me to plane my timber undersize. I then glared nastily at my new tool and shouted "Bollox" at it very loudly three times. Is this normal? Do you offer internet therapy? If not can you replace my door frame?

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.68) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 09:28 pm: Edit

No I guess not SJ, sorry if I cause offence now and again, but I try and restrict that to people who don't think twice about running others down. Dave Hawkes runs down the regulars on this board because when he used to come on here he routinely got shot down in flames because he neither had the wit, inteligence, or knowledge to contribute the type of opinions he aluded to, but pretended that he did. That's one thing you can't do on here because it sticks out like a sore thumb. Most of the people on this board are fairly knowledgeble about WFC, not to the determent of those that are new supporters, or young fans, their views are equaly valid surely - this is after all an entirely open forum. But Dave Hawkes for me just spouted nonsense about games he'd never seen. It used to get on my nerves when I was traveling 440 miles for a home game, but I let it go. Then I see him on Saddlersfc.tk slagging off this board and its regulars, did I react? no not really I let it go. Then he claims my name is made up!! yes then I have a pop in what I hope was a good-natured way with my Dave Hawkes style match report. It seems more people had a laugh than took offence, which was the intention. As For DH, I'm not bothered about apologies and such cr@p life's too short. Pelsall is my home patch, I know who he is and next time I see him I'll buy him a pint, albeit of Ribena.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.68) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 09:32 pm: Edit

Cannock, I'm the poet not the Psychologist, although coincidently I do have a degree in Psychology, gained from Wolves Poly in the late 80's if that counts, probably not but it enabled me to evade the recession of that era.

By sjlawton13 (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 09:44 pm: Edit

Cannock that so funny.Geoff and the Dr Foulkes are mates but people on the other sight are up to fighting.It,s Bizarre its madness its fantastic its a dialectical conflict, something new and better will emerge.
Must go my wife calling

By sjlawton13 (195.93.49.12) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 09:48 pm: Edit

Pelsall thats a dump.

Steve

By Cannock (213.48.84.202) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 11:31 pm: Edit

Unfortunately a poet is no good to me, i need major counselling as i am now the proud owner of a second hand canopy steel door with a wonky frame. If Colin Lee had an ounce of decency he would by me a brand new GPS door with integrated steel frame (and pay for the fitting)

By Dave Roe (81.131.123.187) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 12:10 am: Edit

Geoff, good to see you back. Glad you liked the post. I related to it as well...but I'm nowhere near 40 yet, thankyou very much !!!!

By Dave Roe (81.131.123.187) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 12:16 am: Edit

I agree Cannock. Surely anyone can see that your DIY disaster is directly linked to your mental anguish concerning CL's (lack of) tactical awareness.

Have you informed PC Bruce Wilson of CL's negligence ?

By Dave H (213.122.206.137) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 10:03 am: Edit

You are quite right Geordie. I was pretty out of my depth on this board, but at the time it was either this one or Saddlersnet, and I choose this. I have made one or two comments on TSFC over the last 6 or 7 months saying that I don't like some of the people on this board. To the best of my knowledge I have never said anything to 'denegrade' loyal Walsall fans. If a couple of posts equals a routine then I apologise. I have said that I don't like this board because of some of the posters. Just because I don't like you doesn't mean that I am slagging of loyal Walsall fans. In fact, I put one post to that thread that was deleted, saying how daft I thought all the arguements were, looking back I shouldn't have bothered, but I never slated anyone on any board anywhere. Christ, you make out as if every day I go on there and mouth of about you lot. That's simply not true Geordie. I admit I'm not the most exciting message board poster, but we are all entitled to use these boards, regardless of age or intelligence.

I admitted I was wrong yesterday. However, I wasn't going to 'blush with acute embrassement' because I wasn't embarrassed! It's a simple as that. When people take the •••• out of your name, even when you don't post on this board anymore, then you tend to suspect everyone.

I wouldn't want a pint of you Geordie, because you seem to think you are such a big Walsall fan that you can 'rip the ••••' out of other fans. I have not, because as you say, I don't have the wit, ever tried to rip the •••• out of any Walsall supporter on the Internet. My uncle uses this board a fair bit, and he's a loyal fan, andI would never attempt to degrade him, or you for that matter. I just don't like you.

Now that I've bored you all to death, I'll be of.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.167) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 10:09 am: Edit

Sorry Dave, my clock is probably a bit out mate.

The memory starts to go a bit at my age - mind you your post certainly brought loads of things flooding back - thanks.

By Salop Saddler (213.78.123.70) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 10:20 am: Edit

Ah! Geoff!! Good to see you back home!

Geordie. It takes a true gent to accept the hand of reconciliation, and mean it. Good on yer!

By Regular (134.220.2.2) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 10:31 am: Edit

As a regular poster on this board who has not yet had his say it is time for me to air my views.

Firstly Geoff I am glad to see you have come to your senses.

I have chosen not to reveal my name in this post for the fear of becoming persecuted by the likes of Geordie and Shifnal who feel they can monopolise this board and force their views on others.

I know who Geordie is and he is in no position to criticise people especially when he has what his “friends” call a drink problem and when he is generally regarded as a nonse of a poet.

I have kept stum about Shifnal for some time now but his argumentative nature spoils this fabulous site and makes it a misery to visit.

The little gang on here who meet in pubs and think their opinions are above everyone else’s are forcing people like me away. You people know who you are, and you are a disgrace.

Those who advertise their sites on here are just as bad. You also know who you are. If people want to go to other sites as I do. Let them go where they want to go and do not try and stop them.

To me this whole thing seems like a bunch of sad tossers who have no lives apart from a football team a sad set of message boards to keep them busy have to create petty arguments to give them selves a thrill.

I quit this board.

By Regular (134.220.2.2) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 10:36 am: Edit

I suggest other regulars lobby for

Geordie Saddler
Shifnal Saddler
4two
Dave Hawkes
Geoff
sjlawton13
The Joust

to be barred from using this board to argue.

By RushallSaddler (217.207.41.4) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 10:39 am: Edit

I would also like to say welcome back Geoff, its good to see we're all getting on again, look forward to reading your future postings.

By Constipated (62.31.204.211) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 10:47 am: Edit

I am glad that you are regular. I dare say that is because of a high fibre diet. Unfortunately it appears the results are coming out of the wrong orifice.

By Constipated (62.31.204.211) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 10:50 am: Edit

And I fear I have just fallen for a •••• take

By Sir (217.196.0.70) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 03:00 pm: Edit

Steve Lawton.

Please stop using a comma insted of an apostrophe. It's so bloody annoying!!

By Sir (217.196.0.70) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 03:02 pm: Edit

Instead.(sorry)

By Cockerney Saddler (212.82.80.2) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 04:15 pm: Edit

Welcome back Geoff. I enjoy reading everyone's postings and it's great to see Geoff back contributing to the site.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.164) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 05:31 pm: Edit

Thank you to everyone who's welcomed me back, it is appreciated but it's getting so bloody embarrassing guys.

By sjlawton13 (195.93.49.12) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 06:34 pm: Edit

Regular I agree we should be banned we are sad tossers, thing is we can't help the way we are just made that way if you know what I mean.You should join the lads for a pint and get to know us better.We meet every match day( that is when Geordie can make it)in the "King George the V" We discuss tactics,poetry and psychology.
Come on down.

Sir How do you know me who are you?I'll try what you suggest only if you reveal your identity.Friend or foe?

jonny baracuda

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.164) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 08:16 pm: Edit

SJL13, Chris and I usually get a pre-match pint at the Oak in Lord Street, but have to walk past the George on the way. It would be nice to grab one in the George with you some time, would give us a chance to make our acquaintance with Geordie and Co as well. Does Sheff go there too ?

What do you think Steve, we can all argue face to face if "Regular" prefers us not to do it on here ?

By Jeremy Busby (210.86.29.215) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 09:39 pm: Edit

Welcome back from me to Geoff even if it is all becoming a bit embarrassing. I for one vote for NO-ONE to be banned. It is a free world (for most of us) and each person has the right to express their opinion. I agree that personal abuse on a site such as this is neither needed or appropriate but is all can see the errors of their individual ways the board can move on to the support of football and the Saddlers which is what I personnally come here for. I know that I am a relativley new Saddlers fan from down under and only contribute on the odd occasion so my views are not worth very much but I agree what was said by salop. Geordie you are a true gent to accept Geoff's olive branch and you too Geoff for offering it. Can we move on now please.

By SheffieldSaddler (62.157.49.72) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 09:57 pm: Edit

What fun I have missed! I thought it was fun learning to use a German Keyboard! Nevermind, from the sunny city of Würzburg (the ü even works, oh and the ö and ä), at this rate I think i will apply for German Residency.
Anyway, Roper is player of the season.
Geoff and Geordie are posters of the season.
And I think I need another weissbeir.
Oh and Dave Hawkes, you havent changed one bit, but I would still buy you a bier, sorry beer.
Schönen noch abend my good friends!

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.167) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 11:05 pm: Edit

Thanks Jeremy, it's all well and truly over and settled and we have moved on for sure. I'll reply to your e-mail soon, had a busy weekend and the time ran away with me mate, sorry about that.

Sheff have you read Geordie's "Match report" above from Saturday night - if not please don't miss it - it's priceless ! Also see my post to SJLawton 13 at 7.22 this evening - do you frequent the George pre-match ?

By Shifnalsaddler (212.140.154.129) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 12:09 am: Edit

Argumentative, me?
You're thinking of someone else.

By Not Shifnalsaddler (212.140.154.129) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 12:11 am: Edit

Oh no he isn't.

By Shifnalsaddler (212.140.154.129) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 12:12 am: Edit

Oh yes he is.

By Hacked off (195.92.168.166) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 12:55 am: Edit

Is this a message board about football related matters or just some kind of private club were you all slap each others backs ?
If Geoff, Geordie Uncle Tom Cobley and all could just post about football and stop boring the pants off everyone else with their pathetic little note to each other, I for one and sure others would be most grateful.
Boys if you want to comunicate in your own little club, start a chat room, you could call it the "sad b*******s club"

By SAD BASTARDS CLUB (195.93.49.12) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 01:30 am: Edit

Sorry Hacked off you dont have the intellect to join our exclusive club so brush up on your sarcasm and humour then apply again.

By No Sheep Till Shifnal (195.93.49.12) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 01:35 am: Edit

Carry on Bleating Shifnal my son you can be hung for a sheep just as much as a lamb.

By Uncle Tom Cobley. (195.92.67.67) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 01:40 am: Edit

Are we safe yet?

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.167) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 02:44 am: Edit

Hacked off, if you use the "down" key you'll find it's ever so easy to just by-pass the posts you don't want to read. A bit technical I know, but if you try I'm sure you'll manage. Thanks so much.

P.S. Could you also stop using my IP address please, it's so confusing that people will begin to think I'm posting to myself - now that WOULD be boring.

( I think I said I'd rise above this ! )

By JPD (203.18.34.5) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 03:43 am: Edit

So Sunderland's dynamic duo got the bullet?
As predicted only shortly after they got appointed, on the strength of trying to make sense out of the Wilkinson Coaching Manual!
Was Graham Taylor a co-author?
I wonder if they will go for that well known expert escapologist CL?
Also I note that Australia may base their footy team in Reading - why don't we base our cricket team in Adelaide?

By Exile (203.97.2.243) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 04:58 am: Edit

Wonder if Cotterrill fancies a move back to the Midlands - we could do with a number two....

By Ulster Saddler (212.3.176.14) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 10:02 am: Edit

Heard some guy on the radio saying that Wilko's problem was that he couldn't motivate the players.
Personally I think that any player who needs motivation to play for a club like Sunderland needs his head seeing to.
I think Wilko's problem is that he might know all about tactics from all these courses he has been on over the last few years but he simply cannot communicate this to his players.
It is confidence, not motivation that those players needed and a few decent early results would have sorted that out - but he failed miserably.
Lets hope that when the dingles don't get promoted and if Jones gets the sack then they offer the job to Wilko.
UP THE SADDLERS
PS I'm glad everyone is friends again so now can we get back to talking about football.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 10:30 am: Edit

I have to admit, the guy I feel sorry for in this is Cotterill. He must have thought he was going along to learn with the prospect of taking over in a while a la Adams at Leicester and doesn't even get offered the temporary job when Wilko goes. Even worse, the Sjokies are really gloating!

By ANoS (213.122.166.47) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 10:59 am: Edit

They wont be gloating come May when they get relegated Neil... :-)

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 11:24 am: Edit

True, true

By Vinny (194.70.199.62) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 01:30 pm: Edit

Definately

By PJD (81.135.79.188) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 02:18 pm: Edit

I once happened to be in Leeds when Wilkinson was in charge and went along to watch them training. I couldn't believe what I saw.

Remember when you were at school and the teacher is trying to get everyone's attention in PE and there's always one kid who refuses to come into the huddle and keeps kicking the ball into the net and another kid who is winding up his mate by bouncing a ball off the back of his head and the rest are just gassing about what happened on TV last night until the teacher yells, "will you all be quiet and listen?"

Well it was just like that. It was a complete joke, completely unprofessional. But I guess most of these guys have moved straight from school to footie and have never known anything else.

By Wayne Rooney (194.70.199.62) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 03:26 pm: Edit

Tag!
You're it!

By Ulster Saddler (212.3.176.14) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 04:50 pm: Edit

In defence of Wilko he did inherit a poor side from Reid who I don't think did a fantastic job - and the transfer window left it difficult for him to bring in players.
Mind you his record was cr@p and he had to go.
If I was a Sunderland fan I would worry about the board. They gave Reid millions to spend just before sacking him and then plumped for Wilko.
UP THE SADDLERS
Wilko for Wolves

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 04:53 pm: Edit

£10 million for Flo and Stewart, then give Reid the bullet and leave nothing for the new man, who they sack two weeks after saying he'd keep the job, even if they went down! Great performance from the Chairman that.

By ANoS (213.122.55.61) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 05:04 pm: Edit

I seem to remember they were debating Reid's future in the summer, but let him spend all that money, win two of their first 8 or so matches, let him take a team to Arsenal, hold Man Utd to a draw I seem to remember, and win at Leeds, and then sack him! Plonkers.

Admittedly Reid wasn't doing too well. To be fair though, up until when Sunderland beat Liverpool at home in December, they seemed to be turning the corner a little, then it all went wrong.

By James Milner (213.123.118.140) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 05:08 pm: Edit

Let's play British Bulldog!

By Jane (62.30.112.1) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 05:40 pm: Edit

It's been interesting reading this lot but it's taken me so long, I've forgotten what thread I was on. Oh it was the Millwall match!
Hey I've just previewed this message and realised I'd put a smiley on - didn't know that was how to do it!

By Geoff Whiting (80.177.14.124) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 05:48 pm: Edit

How Jane ? - How did you do it ? I've been trying to do that for bloody ages.

Oh sorry, this is a football thread - e-e-r-r-m - what can I say - e-e-r-r-m

Oh yes, I agree with ANoS, obviously, definitely

(Let me know Jane please !)

By Jane (62.30.112.1) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 08:14 pm: Edit

I've only managed happy and sad faces so far. Type the colon then closed brackets for happy, colon and open brackets for sad. It automatically transfers it to a smiley when you preview or post the message. There are probably others but I haven't figured them out. Can someone else help please?

By ANoS (81.135.34.175) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 08:29 pm: Edit

Try formatting or one of the other links in documentation I think guys.

By Jane (62.30.112.1) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 09:52 pm: Edit

Let's try:
is it bold?
red
thank you very much
Hey Hey, sorry all u folks who could do this, I know this must seem boring but I'm like a kid with a new toy

By SaddlerSteve (195.93.49.12) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 10:37 pm: Edit

Grow up woman!!

Or join Wayne and James in the playground!

By Jane (62.30.112.2) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 11:05 pm: Edit

Soz

By notgeoffwhiting (195.92.168.165) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 01:53 am: Edit

Testing testing -

Bloody 'ell Jane, it works, thanks !

By JPD (203.18.34.5) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 03:47 am: Edit

It's like a Leeds training session on here.
Please behave - or go to another well known Saddlers site and play there.
Geoff knows it's URL.
I saw a few Villa training sessions during their Collymore days and they were a bit of a playschool.
What happened to the bloke who used to report on Walsall training (until he copped a bit of flack) - what are they like at the moment?

By geoff (195.92.168.166) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 11:28 am: Edit

Leave it out JPD, I've been trying to get the Smileys for more than a year now - please forgive me my moment of jubilation now I've finally managed it !

By Sir (217.196.0.70) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 01:20 pm: Edit

Steve Lawton,

You must be over 50 but surely not as old as your brother Dave!!!

By freda g (195.93.49.12) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 03:46 am: Edit

Jane,
With regard to your above posting....

"Is it bold? Is it red?" ...followed by "thank you very much."

May I point out,putting a smile on Geoff's face,is not the raison d'etre of this board.This is basically a football orientated site.There are various other sites that deal with that sort of thing.

By Ulster Saddler (212.3.176.14) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 10:00 am: Edit

What do we think about the proposed new structure for the play offs? - some one set up a new thread.
UP THE SADDLERS

By Ian Gittins (217.40.208.159) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 11:12 am: Edit

Freda, how very curmudgeonly of you. Just as this site was getting back towards a vestige of civility, an' all.

By Phil_G (194.201.73.1) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 02:11 pm: Edit

ulster, what changes?

By misunderstood freda (195.93.49.12) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 02:34 pm: Edit

Sorry Ian,

However,I was referring (jokingly),to the sexual overtones of the posting,and not all the previous shenanigans.Nevertheless,I consider myself suitably chastised.

But if I knew what curmudgeonly meant,I'd bloody well argue about it.

By Ulster Saddler (212.3.176.14) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 02:41 pm: Edit

It had been discussed at a meeting of the league chairmen or something as follows:

Play offs extended to include teams finishing 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th

5th plays 8th at home and 6th plays 7th. Both games are one-off with no second leg

The winners play away to 3rd and 4th in a one off game with no secong leg.

The winners meet in Cardiff.

The reasoning behind this is to give some advantage to the teams finishing 3rd and 4th who might just miss out on automatic promotion. They have just one home game to play before Cardiff. The other is that it basically keeps alive everybodys season who could finish 8th.
UP THE SADDLERS

By LLB (62.31.204.211) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 02:53 pm: Edit

From the purist point of view I always thought the point of promotion and relegation was to make sure that the better teams played in a higher division and the weaker teams etc etc.

So there for the playoffs are wrong full stop. The league season is a whole play off.

From a supporter of a club for whom 8th place is much more likely than 6th I think its a great idea.

However I don't really see the need for change.

By Jane (62.30.112.1) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 05:18 pm: Edit

Freda, I was innocently refering to the type ie bold and whether or not it I had typed in red, I'm not very good with these technical things on the computer and was trying to change font etc. I was quite chuffed at the time I'd managed to do it, how short lived that was!
The 'thanks' was for the person (Anos) who had suggested the formatting section. Geoff (or anyone else) was not even in my thoughts.
If things are so easily misconstrued on here this will be my last post!

By ANoS (81.135.14.185) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 06:09 pm: Edit

Chill Jane, thanks for the thanks, I think Freda was having a joke around. But I suppose after what certain users of this board have been doing over the last few weeks, it's easy to blow things out of proportion.

By F S (195.93.49.12) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 06:14 pm: Edit

LLB
I know your against change,you aint changed that cardigan for as long as i have known you!

By Jane (62.30.112.3) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 07:20 pm: Edit

Okay I am now chilled, just going into the freezer to get a pizza helped.

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.177) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 08:43 pm: Edit

Misunderstood freda,

What sexual overtones ? I can't see any such thing in any of the postings, so where was that then ?

As for "curmudgeon" - dictionary says "surly or miserly person" - but it's a word I'd never heard either - maybe looks like

By Ian Gittins (217.40.208.159) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 08:58 pm: Edit

Yes, a curmudgeon is exactly that, a sour and churlish individual who presents an embittered face to the world. Victor Meldrew is a classic of the type.

Sorry to come over all Frank Muir, there. Next word: misogamy.

By geoff (195.92.168.172) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 10:10 pm: Edit

Yeah OK Ian, any misogamists around here ?

By geoff (195.92.168.172) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 10:12 pm: Edit

No rush - please form an orderly queue

By JPD (203.18.34.5) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 03:54 am: Edit

One minute I'm reading Frank Muirs autobiography and the next he's mentioned here!!!
Is that a bit of misogamystical curmudgeonly coincidence or what?

By Patrick Campbell (81.132.12.52) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 09:27 am: Edit

Sh-sh-sh-sh-sh-sh-sh-shut up

By Gareth Gates (194.70.199.62) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 09:34 am: Edit

G-g-g-good call !

By Patrick Campbell (81.132.12.52) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 12:06 pm: Edit

Th-th-th-th-that's easy for you to say!

By Arkwright (62.31.204.211) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 02:15 pm: Edit

Th-th-th-th this thread is a- is a- is a- deteriotrating.

Steve Roy...f-f-f-fetch yer cloth

By Gareth Gates (81.132.12.52) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 02:24 pm: Edit

I-I-I-I-I-I've been asked to a-a-a-a-advertise a m-m-m-m-m-margarine.

Return to 2002-03 Season