Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

No-one signs!!!!!!!

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:18 am

Whilst we have been discussing all this, 3 new players have signed and no-one noticed. Can't reaaly say who though :wink:

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:17 am

Exile wrote:Was going to lock this thread as a total waste of bandwidth, but in actual fact it's really funny.

Whilst people have been talking about clogging up the site with stupid threads etc and 'taking up bandwidth', I was thinking, is it possible to delete old threads or sections that aren't really looked at any more and save or 'recoup' bandwidth to help?

Now, I'm not really a computer buff and I don't really know about this sort of thing so I could be suggesting something that isn't possible or whatever, just wanted to mention it. :wink:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:24 am

Jolly Johnny wrote:
Exile wrote:Was going to lock this thread as a total waste of bandwidth, but in actual fact it's really funny.

Whilst people have been talking about clogging up the site with stupid threads etc and 'taking up bandwidth', I was thinking, is it possible to delete old threads or sections that aren't really looked at any more and save or 'recoup' bandwidth to help?

Now, I'm not really a computer buff and I don't really know about this sort of thing so I could be suggesting something that isn't possible or whatever, just wanted to mention it. :wink:

Stop trying to be so helpful :wink:

stafflers
UTS Regular

Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:34 am

Jolly Johnny wrote:

The php message board software is very stable and can cope with large numbers of posts. UTS is big in terms of football sites, but I'm a member of a couple of non-football related message boards with far higher usage than this.

The recent troubles have had, in my view, very little to do with number of posts etc - the note from admin mentioned a hackattack. Threads like this do not cause a problem. In many ways they actually help, because while a thread like this is in full swing posts on other threads tend to dip so I would guess the post per day ratio tends to be fairly static. In any event it is unlikely that any swing towards more posts would cause problems.

Old messages are deleted from this site regulaly - I think it is set to 2 or 3 pages of "active" messages - anything earlier is lost if not moved to the "you said that then" section.

As for whether this site needs special boards for this, that or the other - many message boards do that. If they didn't PHP wouldn't have wasted time creating the function. At the end of the day, I don't understand people moaning about that or any other aspect of the board.

This website is a private site set up by an individual. If you use it you do so understanding that the site owner can do as he wishes. You have no contract with him and no minimum service standards. He can open the topics he chooses, create any number of private forums he chooses, he can allow or ban the users he chooses, appoint the moderators he chooses and even decide to close down the board tomorrow. That's his choice, it's his site.

Some of us have opted to contribute towards his costs - but that is all we have done. We haven't brought shares in UTS nor have we purchased a right to begin to dictate what we feel should happen on the site. The site owner decided a private forum about UTS should be created for those who have contributed. Great. If he decided to close it down then also great - it's his choice as it's his site.

He also decided to create a page in which he lists those who have contributed. Again, that's fine. He could take the page down if he wished. That's also fine.

One user has contributed more as a commercial decision through his company to sponsor the site. Great. That was his decision. As a site sponsor, however, HMRC can expect that he got something for his contribution. Hence he gets an unobtrusive banner ad (which those of us (including the site sponsor) on sub_silver never get to see! :lol:

The site owner hasn't gone in for large-scale banner advertisements cluttering up the site. Again, great. He could decide that tomorrow every page will be full of Google adwords or some other advertsing service. Again, great - it's up to the site owner.

This is a private site owned by a private individual who can do what he wants.

Would I do thinks differently? Probably! And it could end up being a better message board or a worse message board. But, to be frank, I can't be bothered. So I use UTS in gratitude for the site owner and in recognition that I do so as an invited guest who could be thrown off tomorrow, today or whenever.

All those who are so upset about how this site is run have a very simple solution. Buy a domain name, purchase a copy of phpbb or some other software, hire space on a server (or hire a server if the message board becomes this big) hire some bandwith connectivity and spend hours trawling through messages to ensure that you aren't liable because some berk has posted defamatory or illegal statements.

End of rant.

EDIT:
This rant isn't directed at Jolly Johnny - I quoted his post because my reply had intended only to answer his suggestion about deleting old posts. It was only after typing the response that I went off on one :wink:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:47 am

stafflers wrote:
Jolly Johnny wrote:

The php message board software is very stable and can cope with large numbers of posts. UTS is big in terms of football sites, but I'm a member of a couple of non-football related message boards with far higher usage than this.

The recent troubles have had, in my view, very little to do with number of posts etc - the note from admin mentioned a hackattack. Threads like this do not cause a problem. In many ways they actually help, because while a thread like this is in full swing posts on other threads tend to dip so I would guess the post per day ratio tends to be fairly static. In any event it is unlikely that any swing towards more posts would cause problems.

Old messages are deleted from this site regulaly - I think it is set to 2 or 3 pages of "active" messages - anything earlier is lost if not moved to the "you said that then" section.

As for whether this site needs special boards for this, that or the other - many message boards do that. If they didn't PHP wouldn't have wasted time creating the function. At the end of the day, I don't understand people moaning about that or any other aspect of the board.

This website is a private site set up by an individual. If you use it you do so understanding that the site owner can do as he wishes. You have no contract with him and no minimum service standards. He can open the topics he chooses, create any number of private forums he chooses, he can allow or ban the users he chooses, appoint the moderators he chooses and even decide to close down the board tomorrow. That's his choice, it's his site.

Some of us have opted to contribute towards his costs - but that is all we have done. We haven't brought shares in UTS nor have we purchased a right to begin to dictate what we feel should happen on the site. The site owner decided a private forum about UTS should be created for those who have contributed. Great. If he decided to close it down then also great - it's his choice as it's his site.

He also decided to create a page in which he lists those who have contributed. Again, that's fine. He could take the page down if he wished. That's also fine.

One user has contributed more as a commercial decision through his company to sponsor the site. Great. That was his decision. As a site sponsor, however, HMRC can expect that he got something for his contribution. Hence he gets an unobtrusive banner ad (which those of us (including the site sponsor) on sub_silver never get to see! :lol:

The site owner hasn't gone in for large-scale banner advertisements cluttering up the site. Again, great. He could decide that tomorrow every page will be full of Google adwords or some other advertsing service. Again, great - it's up to the site owner.

Would I do thinks differently? Probably! And it could end up being a better message board or a worse message board. But, to be frank, I can't be bothered. So I use UTS in gratitude for the site owner and in recognition that I do so as an invited guest who could be thrown off tomorrow, today or whenever.

All those who are so upset about how this site is run have a very simple solution. Buy a domain name, purchase a copy of phpbb or some other software, hire space on a server (or hire a server if the message board becomes this big) hire some bandwith connectivity and spend hours trawling through messages to ensure that you aren't liable because some berk has posted defamatory or illegal statements.

End of rant.

EDIT:
This rant isn't directed at Jolly Johnny - I quoted his post because my reply had intended only to answer his suggestion about deleting old posts. It was only after typing the response that I went off on one :wink:

In case you feel you are missing out....

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:48 am

I just feel sorry for Lee Frecklington.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:49 am

Geordiesaddler wrote:I just feel sorry for [post moderated] .

:lol:

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:54 am

stafflers wrote:
Jolly Johnny wrote:

End of rant.

EDIT:

Thanks for the explanation Stafflers and don't worry, I didn't think any of your reply was a dig at me!!

Just one more question (as columbo would say!) How many expressos have you had so far this morning?!! :wink: :lol:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:02 am

I'm just shocked and disappointed that, on the day when one of our best ever players of the modern era died at a ridiculously early age, that this stupid thread has gone on for another four or five pages of mostly twaddle. A sense of perspective may be called for.

ws3
Glitterati

Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:06 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:I'm just shocked and disappointed that, on the day when one of our best ever players of the modern era died at a ridiculously early age, that this stupid thread has gone on for another four or five pages of mostly twaddle. A sense of perspective may be called for.

Neil

I am not too sure that this post was entirley relevent. No-one is disrespecting the memory of David Preece by posting on this thread and it is wrong of you to suggest that they are.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:09 am

ws3 wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:I'm just shocked and disappointed that, on the day when one of our best ever players of the modern era died at a ridiculously early age, that this stupid thread has gone on for another four or five pages of mostly twaddle. A sense of perspective may be called for.

Neil

I am not too sure that this post was entirley relevent. No-one is disrespecting the memory of David Preece by posting on this thread and it is wrong of you to suggest that they are.

I'm not - apologies if you took it that way. I'm just wondering what the hell it is they are arguing about. It is, to me (as it seems to be for Geoff), totally inexplicable that this has gone on for 14 or 15 pages of mostly twaddle. For God's sake, argue about something important.

ws3
Glitterati

Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:13 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
ws3 wrote:

Neil

I'm not - apologies if you took it that way. I'm just wondering what the hell it is they are arguing about. It is, to me (as it seems to be for Geoff), totally inexplicable that this has gone on for 14 or 15 pages of mostly twaddle. For God's sake, argue about something important.

I wasn't really taking it funny, but as we keep saying these kind of threads are what UTS is about. In a pub a conversation will frift and vary over the course of a few minutes with only a few people involved. This is the same only on a much larger scale and over a much longer period.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:16 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
ws3 wrote:

Neil

I took it that way too - should no-one post anything else? The thread has just "evolved" not entirely wasted despite some of the dross.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:20 am

Aldridge Steve wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
ws3 wrote:

Neil

I took it that way too - should no-one post anything else? The thread has just "evolved" not entirely wasted despite some of the dross.

The trouble is, Steve, there's so much dross,I haven't found the "good stuff"- it's too long, too pointless and, at times, too silly

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:27 am

You need to spend less time working and more time reading this, I don't have any jobs at the moment, ask MMF if his place has? :lol:

ws3
Glitterati

Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:29 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Aldridge Steve wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
ws3 wrote:

Neil

The trouble is, Steve, there's so much dross,I haven't found the "good stuff"- it's too long, too pointless and, at times, too silly

Neil

This is the price you pay for being site admin. The rest of us don't have to read it, but surely you should concern yourself with whether the thread breaks the rules not whether it is to your liking.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:32 am

Aldridge Steve wrote:You need to spend less time working and more time reading this, I don't have any jobs at the moment, ask MMF if his place has? :lol:

It's work that keeps me sane and away from this board at the moment!! Mind you, once the kids leave for school for the summer hols next week and I can think about other things I'll be spending more time in the UTS assylum again!!

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:37 am

The fact that David Preece has died should make this thread even more relevant than ever.
We are at that same point where David started playing for us right now.

We have a (thin) chance of signing a potentially brilliant creative midfielder at 21yo, who could go on to the highest level if things go well. The sort of player you could build a team around, if the club is prepared to break their transfer record and take a risk.

The question is - is it 1981 or 1991?
Let's hope it's 1981, because I couldn't stand another Hibbitt adventure.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:24 am

I think this thread is what makes UTS a great site. Some good comments and some largely drivel including the inane nesting of posts.

It has evolved away from its original topic so much that it is now unrecognisable , but that is, to some extent, the way life is.

This thread has done some good in that it has reminded me how much I would miss the site if it were not here even though I don't post that often and lurk alot. Watching you fight amongst yourselves is great viewing and make me :lol:

When there was a thread many months ago about the funding of the site and discussing whether it should be fee based I concurred that this would be a good idea but never got round to contributing.

I've just put some money in the pot so that the likes of MMF, Exile, Leamore, Geoff, Tinned, Cheesebag & Cyclo etc can use up a bit more bandwidth but you are great entertainment lads and I wouldn't miss you for the world.

PS Is this private club a bit like the VIP area at the Airport? Can you save me a glass of champagne or has GW already glugged that down? :)

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:26 am

OldPenkSaddler wrote:PS Is this private club a bit like the VIP area at the Airport? Can you save me a glass of champagne or has GW already glugged that down? :)

Imagine a virtual open prison, and you'll get the picture. :(

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:23 am

OldPenkSaddler wrote:I think this thread is what makes UTS a great site. Some good comments and some largely drivel including the inane nesting of posts.

It has evolved away from its original topic so much that it is now unrecognisable , but that is, to some extent, the way life is.

This thread has done some good in that it has reminded me how much I would miss the site if it were not here even though I don't post that often and lurk alot. Watching you fight amongst yourselves is great viewing and make me :lol:

When there was a thread many months ago about the funding of the site and discussing whether it should be fee based I concurred that this would be a good idea but never got round to contributing.

I've just put some money in the pot so that the likes of MMF, Exile, Leamore, Geoff, Tinned, Cheesebag & Cyclo etc can use up a bit more bandwidth but you are great entertainment lads and I wouldn't miss you for the world.

PS Is this private club a bit like the VIP area at the Airport? Can you save me a glass of champagne or has GW already glugged that down? :)

:lol: Your champagne is on ice I'm sure! :lol:

Purple Toucan Saddler

Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:28 am

Ain't it funny how the culprit for all of this appears to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

May be he is thinking up his next hilarious joke.

My prediction is:

Get In! what a signing!! Jimmy's back :lol:

Burnside
UTS Regular

Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:15 am

Well the terms and conditions of the board to not stop, Silly, Trivial or Pointless Threads.

SO i say lets carry on :lol:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:25 am

Ernie Mac wrote:Well the terms and conditions of the board to not stop, Silly, Trivial or Pointless Threads.

SO i say lets carry on :lol:

Indeed

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:23 pm

Point is the bloke from Lincoln is not signing as we cannot afford him

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:11 pm

Pedro wrote:Point is the bloke from Lincoln is not signing as we cannot afford him

Ah yes but....If fryatt leaves Leicester for over £1m.......

.....we could build an extension on the hotel.

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:40 pm

Theres a post on the official website's messageboard that we are going to sign a Aston Villa midfielder on Monday..

Pretty strange if the will let him go.. they signed a new 2 year contract with him in December last year... It's probably just a wind up so I wouldn't put any thoughts into it to be honest...

The person making that post have mentioned a name which is Isaiah Osbourne.

The post includes following text:

isiah osboure is said to have completed a free transfer form villa park.

martin o'neill said "Isiah has interest from clubs and looks to be n his way out" << daily star

the deal is set to be confirmed on monday

Purple Toucan Saddler

Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:52 pm

PerStener wrote:Theres a post on the official website's messageboard that we are going to sign a Aston Villa midfielder on Monday..

Pretty strange if the will let him go.. they signed a new 2 year contract with him in December last year... It's probably just a wind up so I wouldn't put any thoughts into it to be honest...

martin o'neill said "Isiah has interest from clubs and looks to be n his way out" << daily star

Sorry to be rude PerStener, but how dare you put such gossip mongering information on such a serious thread about Post Moderated signing for us :lol:

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:53 pm

Purple Toucan Saddler wrote:
PerStener wrote:Theres a post on the official website's messageboard that we are going to sign a Aston Villa midfielder on Monday..

Sorry to be rude PerStener, but how dare you put such gossip mongering information on such a serious thread about Post Moderated signing for us :lol:

Thought it could be a bit more silly than it was.... even changed my avatar to make it even more silly :lol:

Purple Toucan Saddler

Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:59 pm

PerStener wrote:
Purple Toucan Saddler wrote:

Thought it could be a bit more silly than it was.... even changed my avatar to make it even more silly :lol:

Well please try harder to be silly in the future and then I will be happy.

Can you also confirm, was your post a joke or not, as we don't want the same kind of confusion that Phil has caused if you start saying you were joking when you start to look like an idiot if it doesn't come off :lol:

PreviousNext
Return to UTS Classics