Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Matt Gadsby Memorial Match

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.
stafflers
UTS Regular

Matt Gadsby Memorial Match

Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:46 am

From t'other channel (which I can read but not post on for some reason):

Just letting you all know what is being arranged by our club for this match. Some of you may be interested, if not fair enough and apologies in advance.

Official Press release from Hinckley United today:

Matt Gadsby Memorial Match - Sunday 1st April
A legends team – featuring several former internationals – will be managed by Barry Fry and captained by Matt Le Tissier. The team will take on Hinckley United in the first half and then in the second half a side made up of team-mates of Matt Gadsby at Kidderminster Harriers, Mansfield Town, Walsall and Forest Green Rovers.

Players lined up to take part along with Le Tissier include Peter Shilton, Paul Parker, Steve Hodge, Matt Elliott, Jan Molby, Nigel Clough, Paul Walsh and Gary Mills while a number of other players including Warren Barton, Rob Lee, John Beresford, Chris Waddle and David Speedie are also hoping to lace up their boots along with other players with top flight experience.

England manager Steve McClaren is also hoping to be at the ground on the day after a pledge by his agent Colin Gordon – who acted for Matt Gadbsy throughout his professional career. Championship referee Bryan Curzon will be the man in the middle on the day.

After the game, fans will get the chance to mix with the players and a question and answer session will take place featuring a number of the players on the day.

Gate prices will be £5 Adults and £3 concessions, of course all going towards the Matt Gadsby Memorial Fund. Kick off will be at 2pm, but the bar will be open fron 12 noon.

-----------------------------
for those wishing to travel and need directions use this link

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:13 am

I approved the original poster within the hour on here, but obviously too late for him yesterday.

Would encourage anyone at a loose end to attend for obvious reasons.

concretehippo

Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:55 pm

Can I assume that this is taking place at Hinckley United's ground?

DJhinckley

Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:05 pm

yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to leave you out but was just busy around the message boards of all the other clubs Matt had played at, and then never got back round to this one. Yes the game is being played at Hinckley's Marston Stadium. For those wishing to come and need directions, the link for directions is in the top post.

WFC4Eva

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:39 pm

will see if I can make it.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:31 pm

WFC4Eva wrote:will see if I can make it.

I shall try to make it.

I'm surprised to note that it's exactly six months today since Matt's tragic death - how fast time passes us by.

WFC4Eva

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:36 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:

I shall try to make it.

I'm surprised to note that it's exactly six months today since Matt's tragic death - how fast time passes us by.

its flown by Geoff.

I can't believe its been six months

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:04 pm

Me to young Nick

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:05 pm

Me to young Nick

WSOne
UTS Regular

Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:22 pm

Sounds fantastic – I'll definitely be there to show my support.

:)

crazysaddla

Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:02 pm

went to newton regis so definatly going to show my support again,anyone needing a lift let me know.

matty_walsall4eva
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:11 pm

ill go if i can get there

Laura_W.F.C

Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:55 pm

i wouldn't mind goin

crazysaddla

Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:29 pm

offer still stands,i,ll be leaving bout 10.30,know exactly where it is so should be there for 11.30.

kevwill

Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:40 pm

All I can say is... Wow! What a cracking set of players paying tribute to our Matt. Blessings and thanks to them all.

Only one Matt Gadsby!

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:47 am

*nudge*

Worthwhile, worth considering if you're at a loose end, worth planning for if not!

merse-iah's disciple

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:27 am

I'll do my best to make it up for the game.

want to show my support for Matt and the effort and dedication he put in whilst he was with us.

stafflers
UTS Regular

Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:37 pm

bump

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:44 pm

Would have gone, but will be away. Not too far to travel for a good cause.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:42 am

Sadly i wont be able to make the game, as much as i would have loved to,

Would like to give my entrance fee towards the fund though if that is at all possible ?

DJhinckley

Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:27 pm

Just to keep you all informed with today's further press release:

21st March Official Press Release

Matt Gadsby Memorial Game - Sunday April 1st

Former England internationals Matt Le Tissier, Peter Shilton, Paul Parker, Steve Hodge, Paul Merson and Nigel Winterburn will be lacing up their boots for a Legends side at Hinckley United’s Marston’s Stadium on Sunday April 1st in a game sponsored by Piink Estate Agents.

They will be joined by Leicester City legend Matt Elliott and his Foxes colleagues David Speedie and Gary Mills, Jan Molby, Gary McAllister, Coventry City trio Dave Phillips, Micky Gynn and Nicky Platneur, ex-Wolverhampton Wanderers midfield maestro Micky Holmes and ex Birmingham City quartet Paul Devlin, Martin O’Connor and Ian Clarkson.

Players from Sky One’s Dream Team and Coronation Street who are regulars on the celebrity circuit are also lacing up their boots alongside the Legends. Other players will be adding their name in the final days running up to the game depending on commitments.

The legends team will be managed by Barry Fry and will take on Hinckley United in the first half and then in the second half a side made up of team-mates of Matt Gadsby at Kidderminster Harriers, Mansfield Town, Walsall and Forest Green Rovers. Championship referee Bryan Curson will be the man in the middle on the day.

Fans will be able to enjoy a drink during the game with an outside bar being laid on for supporters – a rarity in football these days. And to add to their entertainment will be cheerleaders, a marching band and breakdancers.

After the game, fans will get the chance to mix with the players and a question and answer session will take place featuring a number of the players on the day.

At the match, the charity CRY (Cardiac Risk in the Young) will be handing out leaflets to raise awareness of
conditions such as this and, through its screening programme, prevent
similar tragedies. For further details of CRY (Cardiac Risk in the Young) please visit http://www.c-r-y.org.uk.

Admission is £5 for adults and £3 for concessions. Special corporate spaces are still available at £25 per person or £250 a table which includes a three course meal and a chance to meet the players before the game.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:29 pm

DJhinckley wrote:Just to keep you all informed with today's further press release:

21st March Official Press Release

Matt Gadsby Memorial Game - Sunday April 1st

Former England internationals Matt Le Tissier, Peter Shilton, Paul Parker, Steve Hodge, Paul Merson and Nigel Winterburn will be lacing up their boots for a Legends side at Hinckley United’s Marston’s Stadium on Sunday April 1st in a game sponsored by Piink Estate Agents.

They will be joined by Leicester City legend Matt Elliott and his Foxes colleagues David Speedie and Gary Mills, Jan Molby, Gary McAllister, Coventry City trio Dave Phillips, Micky Gynn and Nicky Platneur, ex-Wolverhampton Wanderers midfield maestro Micky Holmes and ex Birmingham City quartet Paul Devlin, Martin O’Connor and Ian Clarkson.

Players from Sky One’s Dream Team and Coronation Street who are regulars on the celebrity circuit are also lacing up their boots alongside the Legends. Other players will be adding their name in the final days running up to the game depending on commitments.

The legends team will be managed by Barry Fry and will take on Hinckley United in the first half and then in the second half a side made up of team-mates of Matt Gadsby at Kidderminster Harriers, Mansfield Town, Walsall and Forest Green Rovers. Championship referee Bryan Curson will be the man in the middle on the day.

Fans will be able to enjoy a drink during the game with an outside bar being laid on for supporters – a rarity in football these days. And to add to their entertainment will be cheerleaders, a marching band and breakdancers.

At the match, the charity CRY (Cardiac Risk in the Young) will be handing out leaflets to raise awareness of
conditions such as this and, through its screening programme, prevent
similar tragedies. For further details of CRY (Cardiac Risk in the Young) please visit http://www.c-r-y.org.uk.

Admission is £5 for adults and £3 for concessions. Special corporate spaces are still available at £25 per person or £250 a table which includes a three course meal and a chance to meet the players before the game.

Sounds like a fine days entertainement. Fair play to the players getting involved (I include our ex-manager in that too!).

Purple Stand Pigeon

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:30 am

For those that didn't know that is also the charity that Oli's (Jolysaddler) family support so it would be excellent if lots of Saddlers could go.

Unfortunately it's my nans birthday that day and we all have a meal booked so I can't make it.

WSOne
UTS Regular

Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:24 pm

Not long got back from Hinckley. It was a decent match and I'm sure the event raised thousands for Gadsby's fund.

Le Tissier, Winterburn, Hodge and McAllister were the big names who played. No sign of Merson, O'Connor, Devlin, Parker or Molby though. Keates played in the second-half, while Wrack and Ropes were there to show their support. Also met Shilton at the end of the game.

What was the attendance DJhinckley? Happy with how everything went?

stafflers
UTS Regular

Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:29 pm

I'm really peeved that I couldn't go. I'd organised cover to pick my lads up from Scout camp, but I had to go to Shrewsbury for work this morning and didn't get back in time to go.

Hope it went well.

DJhinckley

Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:38 pm

WSOne wrote:What was the attendance DJhinckley? Happy with how everything went?

thanks all that managed to get. Attendance was just under 1400 and the day couldn't have gone better really. It was a fun occasion with fans from all of Matt's previous clubs and the legends were only too happy to talk or sign autographs etc. I hope you enjoyed your day in our little ground.

HKSaddler
the "fececious" one

Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:21 am

Glad it went well. Couldn't make it for obvious reasons. Hope a lot of money was raised.

WSOne
UTS Regular

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:03 am

DJhinckley wrote:
WSOne wrote:What was the attendance DJhinckley? Happy with how everything went?

thanks all that managed to get. Attendance was just under 1400 and the day couldn't have gone better really. It was a fun occasion with fans from all of Matt's previous clubs and the legends were only too happy to talk or sign autographs etc. I hope you enjoyed your day in our little ground.

Out of interest, why did the likes of Merson and O'Connor not play? Did they drop out or just not bother turning up?

DJhinckley

Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:43 pm

I've not been told anything officially so can't answer the question other than speculate. A few were very disapointed that Molby couldn't make it, but personally I'm not going to slag anyone for not turning up as we all have comittments. (duties to do that is, not the film. the film is awful so if you have 'the committments' then ebay's your friend...)

WSOne
UTS Regular

Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:22 am

DJhinckley wrote:I've not been told anything officially so can't answer the question other than speculate. A few were very disapointed that Molby couldn't make it, but personally I'm not going to slag anyone for not turning up as we all have comittments. (duties to do that is, not the film. the film is awful so if you have 'the committments' then ebay's your friend...)

Just spoken to Hinckley's commercial manager Dave Riche and let's just say he was extremely rude!

:evil:

Next
Return to You Said That Then