Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Rotherham (h) - League - 9th May 2004

Reports and reaction from the 2003-04 season as Walsall finished 22nd (R) in Division 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Rotherham (h) - League - 9th May 2004

Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:30 pm

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.27.122) on Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 10:08 pm: Edit

Will it be :) or :( by 2:50 tomorrow?

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.171) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 02:05 am: Edit

:) undoubtedly !!

By Walsall Supporter (82.37.192.189) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 09:43 am: Edit

Well, I am wearing all red including trousers, even found out my old Walsall Swift earrings I bought 22 years ago

Here's hoping we will all be smiling by 2.50 today!!

By SmilingSaddlers (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 10:23 am: Edit

Its got to be

By Down and CL IS TO BLAME. (82.37.185.47) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 03:00 pm: Edit

La La La LA LA laaaa laaa la la la--- Fat Lady singing.

By Walsall Supporter (82.37.192.189) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 03:56 pm: Edit

Well, not long back from the match. Good to see us attacking for once, shame the chances in the first half didn't go in, and yet again to conceed goals by penalties is a disgrace. I am glad that we won for Paul Merson.

I am not as dissapointed as I thought I would be feeling, as I felt we went down fighting, shame Stoke couldn't of got a goal, but C'est La Vie.

Lets start thinking that we will be be able to bounce right back in the first Div at the end of next season,
even if we are going to be without a lot of key players.

By Crouch End Saddler (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 04:03 pm: Edit

Bollox is CL to blame, its Bonser and what a twerp he is, sack our most succesful manager with 4 games to go twerp. Bring back Colin Lee.
Relagated by one goal, do you honestly think that 5-0 dicking we took at Norwich would have happened under Lee? No is the answer you are looking for.
Today is a victory for the Dingles Out Brigade, and well might they be happy, they have seen my team get relegated cos they thought CL was a Wolves fan. Well bollox to the lot of you, I'm embarresed about the way Walsall have done business in the last month and we are exactly where we belong. We had a great chance under Sir Colin to push on but Bonser the •••••• wouldnt take the bait.
WELL DONE JEFF AND WELL DONE LEE OUT BRIGADE I HOPE YOU ARE HAPPY COS YOU MADE THIS HAPPEN twerp THE LOT OF YOU

By K J C (195.188.152.10) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 04:07 pm: Edit

I feel the same mate (Walsall Supporter), the lads gave it everything today. Couldn't ask for anymore from them.
Very dodgy pens today me thinks!
I wish they'd have sent a decent ref for what was a very crucial game but hey-ho...

Looking forward to next season already. Lets hope we can hang on to the vast majority of the current squad and develop our youngsters...

PROUD TO BE A SADDLER!
RED UNTIL I'M DEAD!

By doesn'tbeermakeyouevenmoredepressed? (218.102.23.27) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 04:09 pm: Edit

Perhaps it was CL's swansong - 0-3 to the Gills - that really put us down.

By Walsall Supporter (82.37.192.189) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 04:18 pm: Edit

Crouch end saddler,
As much as I liked Lee he played too defensively and we just weren't scoring the goals, Never mind the 5-0 at Norwich, the 6-1 at home to Coventry didn't help and Colin Lee was manager then.
Over the season its a combination of a lot of things, and not just one person can be to blame that has got us relegated, and as K J C says lets look forward to next season and get behind the lads like we did today

By aldridge steve (82.37.153.166) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 04:20 pm: Edit

Crouch End - no, maybe not 5-0 there - but we wouldn't have won today under Lee. There are many if's and but's, but at the end of the day - the table doesn't lie, we were not gppd enough over 46 games. Board, Manager(s), team, Fans? - all should take some blame. But hey - now we can look forward to returning as Champions!

By K J C (195.188.152.10) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 04:26 pm: Edit

I was a staunch supporter of CL up until the following games.

27-Mar-04 H Millwall D 1-1
03-Apr-04 A Derby County W 1-0
10-Apr-04 H Burnley L 0-1
12-Apr-04 A Gillingham L 0-3

We were utter tripe in all of them.

For me the performances in these matches indicated that there needed to be a change in the management.

It was just simply not good enough.

I think Bonser should have got rid of CL when he did, its just that the whole Plymouth saga was a convenient excuse.

Getting rid of CL and bringing in Merse changed the whole atmosphere. We were positive in our football and in our support.

If CL had stayed on, my feeling is that we would have been down anyway. We would of had booing from the terraces, in-fighting on these websites and poor season ticket sales next season.

By Johnny Swinger (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 04:58 pm: Edit

I'm not a regular poster but I just wanted to ask:
What have we ever done to upset Rotherham?
While not the biggest fan of the physical style of football they play, I have long respected Ronnie Moore's acheivements in getting them to the level they currently occupy (being that they are a club of similar stature and with a similar level of support as ouselves).

We've never had an issue with them to the best of my knowledge, and while the "going down" taunts throughout the match at us, their opposition, I can accept as being part and parcel of being supporters, I have to say that I was rather taken aback by their apparent joy when our relegation was confirmed.

So, I alter my previous sentanace- I USED TO respect Rotherham's acheivements, now I say b#llocks to them, sing and taunt now because when Bristol City win the playoffs there'll only be Plymouth left in Div 1 next year that you'll be finishing above, boys. And while previously I may have been somewhat dismayed at Rotherham taking the plunge, next year I'll enjoy every minute of it.

Or am I just being bitter after todays events (because I am very bitter)?

By stuart preestley (82.37.169.149) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

No matter what the why's and wherfore's are, our lads went out and played their hearts out today
and Merson quite rightly deserved man of the the match. He couldn't have played any harder or more skilfull. Moreover we were robbed today by an over zealous ref who made incredulous decisions time after time against Walsall. Could it be that he was in someone's pocket - Your comments welcome!

By the Tor (217.42.232.23) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 05:07 pm: Edit

Well deserved relegation. Watching Walsall's visit was by far the dullest 90 minutes of the season. A team devoid of talent, other than Jimmy Walker, who unfortunately (for a keeper) can barely reach the crossbar.

At least you managed to score today. The first two goals were reminiscent of 10 year olds chasing a ball around the park before finally scrambling it home from a metre out. Unusual for the best goals of a 3-2 match to come from the penalty spot!

You lot talk plenty of nonsense but judging by your pitiful away support, don't bother going to games. Those who do turn up could generously be described as assorted misfits, with a fondness for pies.

Well done to the board for making the most ludicrous managerial change of the season. Another replacement is advisable before you find your level in the Conference.

Congratualations to Derby Dean for telling you thickies what's really happening.

;)

By Depressed Bescot (218.102.23.28) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 05:28 pm: Edit

Yes, there are people on this board who have deluded themselves ever since RG's sacking. All this talk about "First Division Quality" players and CL being Walsall's "most successful manager" day after day, week after week.

Someone must have noticed before Derby Dean.

By Bristol Saddler (217.161.104.2) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

Good performance, full of heart, passion and attacking verve..... Shame we couldn't say this about half our performances this season.

Incidently the referee was a disgrace!

By Birmingham Saddler (213.122.237.174) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

if the ref hadnt given those two pens we would stil be in div1

if we hadnt given away 4 pens in last 3 games we would have been up

those are if's that are out of our control and most of which should have gone our way but didnt

i vote bazely our worst player of the season-in the first half especially-he was shocking.

why did ppl start cheering randomly at one point-everyone where i wa ssitting thought stoke had scored-wher had that come from!

am not lookn forward to going to belle vue

By Birmingham Saddler (213.122.237.174) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 05:46 pm: Edit

but i blame CL cos things turned from a bad year to a relagation yr at priestfield stadium and that was his game-so good point who ever made that.

sign up mcsporran for next year cos he is proven in div 2 but im gna cry if we lose 2 of emblem walker and ritchie.

well done gills-please dick on rotherham next year

By Walsall Supporter (82.37.192.189) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 05:59 pm: Edit

Ritchie is a definite goner, he will want first div footie at the least to be picked for internation footie. Do you know anyone in Div 2 that plays for their country?
Emblen may stay, he may not get any better offers, (Fingers crossed) and Walker may surprise us, and stay another season.

Yeah everyone in the Banks stood up and were cheering, and peeps were shouting Stoke had score, is it true they had a goal disallowed, perhaps that was it

By David Potter (65.65.183.0) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 06:05 pm: Edit

I'm (obviously) crushed by today's events, but it doesn't hurt as badly because I had resigned myself to the club being relegated some time ago.

16 points since Christmas! Frankly, we deserve to be relegated!!

Easter weekend was the begining of the end, for me at least. We had a golden opportunity to secure our future in this division...and failed, miserably.

I could analyze this to death, but there wouldn't be any point as it's not going to change what has happened.

The club has to take a mental inventory and really look deep inside itself. It needs to make better decisions, starting with a very important one, the next manager!
With all due respect to Merson, I would not endorse his appointment. Too laid back for my liking, we just sacked a manager who exercised the same traits.
I would imagine that Eric Black will put his name in the hat - I was amazed by his dismissal.
Pearce (my choice), Cotterill, DK and others will also apply.

The appointment, whoever it is, is a crucial one for the club. We have to get this one right!

By Norman Fletcher (81.154.180.219) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 06:17 pm: Edit

Fact - Top scorer - Jorge with 7.
Question - Why did he score double that last year?
Answer - Cos Junior was not only a great division one striker he was a great playmaker.
All those who predicted losing Junior would result in relegation have been proved to be only too right.

By ShropshireSaddler (195.92.168.174) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 06:38 pm: Edit

I think Merson will be new manager - if for no other reason than the fact that we can't afford to pay a 2nd Div player £5k per week whereas a class player and a manager for £5k a week is a bit better!
I hope he does getthe job. As others have said and opinions in NMFE said, his style of play for the team has actually got me excited about going to Walsall matches again. Lee's negative tactics bored me to the point of hardly caring.
Well done today for a good performance, let's hope we can keep the side together and have a go next season.

By SheffieldSaddler (172.186.141.28) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 07:06 pm: Edit

Excellent second half performance today. Thought the vast majority of the team played as good as they could. Apart from Bazeley, that is. The bloke as simply lost the plot.
If only we could have held the 1-0 lead for more than a few minutes. But that sums up our season really, full of IF ONLY and more IF ONLY and more IF ONLY.
We need to get straight back up, I fully believe we can as long as we appoint the right manager, who then gets in the right players.
WALSALL TILL I DIE.

By Saddlistic (80.225.76.201) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 07:18 pm: Edit

Viewed from one game, an honourable relegation, goal difference of one, after two pens & a sending off.

Main cause of relegation, "THE CHAIRMAN - THE BOARD" If Walsall ever sold a player for £2million, would Walsall ever by a half decent player of a tenth the price to replace him? NOOOOOO. Why not? Liar man says 'We want to ensure the clubs financial stability' [Translates as 'I want a new car and a nice stash for when my local club faithful eventually wakes up and forces me out']

As for the team, it lacks speed, youth, passion, creativity, finishing ability and most other qualities that a strong team requires. This rubbish of running a team on almost 40yr olds, uninterested on-loaners, and token foreign players even if they are useless, is sure recipe for getting nowhere.

Walsall needs a youth policy and a footballing doctrine, that can be in the veins of the club always building for years ahead. That needs a good youth and scouting policy [especially after the loss of Walsall's greatest asset scout-whizz Paul Taylor] and a footballing brain at the helm, who does not base strategy on false football slogans.

The reality is that alot of money is not needed to stay in division one, but rather a team that plays football, passing,running off the ball, creating space, attack minded. That is a core of success, you do not need multi million pound idiots who are astronomically over priced and over-rated.

Merson has positive attitude and that is what Walsall need, but already Merson is falling for some of those false slogans, such as 'frustrate the opposition with a defensive game' THIS DOES NOT WORK! It is a broken and false philosophy. If you pack your defence then you actually assist the opposition in attack by allowing them to operate in your half, at the same time you take all the pressure off of them, you give them possession in your own half and have to defend wave after wave of attack! The best defence is ATTACK-ATTACK-ATTACK ! There is nothing that will frustrate the opposition more than for them to be down 0-3 at half time. But as for this defensive nonsense, if the opposition break through and score then you are screwed. If you base your whole game on defence then you fail as soon as the opposition score, but if you base your system on attack, then it does not matter if the opposition score.
0-0 & 0-1 are useless results, despite 'frustrating the opposition' but 6-4 is three points and better than two defensive games put together. ATTACK-ATTACK-ATTACK .

I think, even if Walsall keep their existing squad, they will do well to survive in div.2 Bring on the likes of Buckley, Clough and Dario Gradi [or however you you spell it].

By Ludlow Dave (81.76.44.190) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 07:20 pm: Edit

Perhaps the right manager is already there? It's nice to see fight and passion from the Walsall players as well as good football.
WE'RE COMING BACK UP WITH OZZY AND MERSE.

By Dave Gittins (195.92.194.17) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 07:22 pm: Edit

In answer to the question as to where did the news come from that Stoke were winning •••• was from a fat moustached p*•• sitting just in front of me in the Banks's. He just suddenly looked around and yelled "STOKE ARE WINNING"

The penalty decisions were dubious from my viewpoint to say the least. Likewise I don't think Osborne deserved to walk, it was just a slightly mistimed tackle.

In all honesty we could say that we went down because of this refereeing decision, that refereeing decision, this match, that match, Samways etc etc all day. In total honesty we have to accept that over the course of the season we just weren't quite good enough.

It is time to get pi**ed to forget this and then look forward to the future.

First priority - decide on the managerial appointment, I feel that with a good number two Merson could do a good job. He has shown enough nouse in the last few games to be given a shot at it.
Second priority •••••• out who will be staying and who will be going. If we can keep the nucleus of the team then we may have a chance of bouncing back. If we can persuade Ritchie that we can bounce straight back we might have an outside chance of keeping him.

Shall we take predictions as to our average home gate next season? I wonder how many of our recently discovered first division supporters will still follow us in the second.

By Dave Gittins (195.92.194.17) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 07:24 pm: Edit

I'm not quite sure what happened there, it should have read Second priority sort out who will be staying

By Mark W (217.42.95.53) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 07:30 pm: Edit

I just hope that we can regroup fairly quickly and not do what Grimsby have done.Div.2 football is not too bad --lets face it we sort of belong there.
The big question is who should stay and who should go.Bonsers budget (or lack of) will determine this.
Next year we will need another keeper as sadly I feel thats the last we see of super Jim.A decent keeper is high on the agenda.
To stay --hopefully.. in defence ;Ropes,Emblen,Carbon (as cover),and Zigor.We therefore need a good right back.
In midfield;Merse,Wrack ,Taylor And unfortunately Osborn due to his 2 year ••••••••.This I reckon means we need another good all action type midfielder of the Martin O'Connor type.
Up front;George(ok for div.2)••••••• and probably Birch back.
Addd only Wright and possibly Pedro to this lot and the rest can go --I don,t mean Ritchie but that's a foregone conclusion.
And yes Merse for manager.Somebody we can get behind for once.The anti-Lee brigade should look really hard at themselves.If they had used the energy they spent on hounding Lee on supporting the team (as what happened today)then perhaps we would never have been in this position.

By Fish (217.42.220.200) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 07:36 pm: Edit

The first was a definite pen. I had a clear view from the Banks' and Osborne deliberately steped in the path of the attacker to check him. There is no doubt whatsoever that it was a pen.

As for the other, I thought Roper had got his foot to the ball with a genuine and fair challenge

Osborne was an utter pillock to put himself in exactly the same posiition as he did last week at Palace.

Ditto for his sending off.

By sedgers (62.31.219.43) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 07:47 pm: Edit

i agree with jonny swinger,ok in the 90 minutes of the match u expect the old banter "going down" etc.but after the final whistle has gone then you should just clap both teams off.when we got relegated at ipswich the first time round they applauded our fans out the ground,today just confirms my thoughts that them from up north are just thick pie eating inbred morons.then when i gets out of the ground i find two fans (both of walsall i think)fighting.also on the way to the ground today i find half of the roads closed making it a nightmare day only topped off by relegation and a ref who makes a window licker look capable.besides all that though it was a good performance and if we can keep wacca,emblen,mcsporr on,ozzy,taylor and fryatt i dont include ritchie cos he will go,then i think we will be ok.but bazeley must go.so its off to donny,hull,the posh and all the other grounds we saddlers had just about started to forget,well its time for a 10 month reminder starting about august!

By hullsaddler (213.249.213.219) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 07:58 pm: Edit

I know it's dreadfully disappointing but I was proud to be a saddler today.
The number of chances we created in the second half & the way that we went for a result surely shows what we can do if we can retain a decent squad.
Being one of the left-wing posters on here,I am not a believer in capital punishment but I am willing to make an exception for the guy described by Dave Gittins,who started the Stoke scoring rumour! He should be identified & banned for life for giving us all that ecstasy of belief in survival
before the reality of people who had radios dispelled it.
I agree about the Rotherham supporters.I can understand during the game,but afterwards? Do they still feel bitter about Mark Rees?
I heard Merson on talk sport,I thought he came across well & personally I would be happy about him being given a chance as manager.
WE WILL COME BACK!
Am listening to James 'Sitdown' really loud! I need to get another drink

By cat3 (203.218.208.184) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 08:28 pm: Edit

In time, we will be back!

By Safe Miller (195.92.168.165) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 08:44 pm: Edit

What happened after? I walked back to my car with about 10 Walsall lads, seemed like we were all getting just fine???

By Safe Miller (195.92.168.165) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 08:47 pm: Edit

And... as I said in another thread I thought the atmosphere inside your groung today was just awesome. Fantastic support from the KO. Sad to see the Mexican wave effect die out when it became apparent that someone in the stand to our right had started a Stoke rumour. Cracking to watch and listen to from our end though.

By Brum saddler (82.36.64.213) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 09:09 pm: Edit

darren bsazely is is awful- i volunteer to be the right back next year

By Daniel Widdop (172.185.143.52) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Think back to the Gillingham game, and if only if we had not conceded in the last minute we would be safe now! We'll be back!

By dornans og (213.122.44.220) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 09:16 pm: Edit

if the git who started the Stoke rumour is reading this then i hope you are proud of yourself you idiot.Try explaining to a 9 yr old why someone would do that.(unfortunately the words i was trying to use have been censored)

By Tom Newell (172.185.143.52) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 09:25 pm: Edit

U twerp who started the rumour about the Stoke goal. You complete tosser. You affected the players as they would have thought a win was enough and who knows, we could be up playing Leeds and the Dingles next year. U ••••••

By hullsaddler (212.50.166.236) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 09:29 pm: Edit

Safe Miller- I think it was all the cheering at your end 5 or 6 mins after the game when Stoke score was confirmed.I think there was a feeling that chanting 'Going down/staying up etc 'is part & parcel of the game,but it seemed like there was distinct rejoicing when our relegation was confirmed.I could understand your fans reaction if it were the blades going down,but us?
I think Rotherham & Walsall are very similar in support,realistic prospects etc & a lot of saddlers fans like to see teams of our stature survive at this level.
Perhaps some of us felt a bit sensitive on the issue at that particular moment.
Anyway we'll be back at Millmoor season after next (hopefully in Div 1!)

By tom (80.195.139.10) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 10:45 pm: Edit

fanny

By Fensaddler (62.31.217.17) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 11:34 pm: Edit

I'll accept that some Rotherham fans might well not have joined in, or been embarrassed by their own supporters. However - we are very similar clubs, trying to survive in D1 by the skin of our teeth. Rotherham were three points less bad than we were over the season. Despite this, and despite, surely, being able to imagine what we were going through, the chants throughout the game and the evident glee at the end when it was clear we had been relegated, were shameful. Like many on this board, I'm not able to work out why, and previously had no animosity towards Rotherham, or indeed Gillingham. However, after today, I hope Rotherham lose Moore, and get the miserable season some of their supporters evidently need and deserve, ending in relegation to a team of ingrates who taunt them all the way through the match, and cheer at the end.

PS - why is this board suddenly banning seemingly innocuous words?

By Leamore Saddler (80.225.66.8) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 12:27 am: Edit

Can we please knock on the head this tale of harsh penalties v. Rotherham? I thought they were both right decisions at the time and, having replayed them several times on video since, I STILL think the decisions were right. I felt the only major bad decision was Osborn's first caution - totally unnecessary.

By the same token, the Sheffield United penalty was also right.

The penalty at Palace WAS a bad decision and we have undoubtedly suffered from poor refereeing this season (the names Prosser & Mason spring to mind, among others) but please don't let's delude ourselves that our relegation is down to poor refereeing and bad penalty awards. We should be asking WHY we have conceded such an incredible run of penalties over the last few weeks - back to basic defensive skills, methinks.

P.S. to Steve Roy - why is your filter rejecting perfectly clean words ?

By colin (195.93.34.9) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 12:49 am: Edit

At transfer deadline in March Lee signed Bradbury, McSporran, Andrews and Burley. All four of them were worse than we already had (and we had some poor players already). McSporran and Burley were thankfully out of the squad by the last match. Bradbury (one goal all season)and Andrews were rubbish again today. The performances of these four tipped us over from mediocre to rubbish and led to our bad run becoming dreadful. I was not anti-Lee but his mistake in signing and playing them was the crucial error that led to relegation.

By JMAN (82.37.169.48) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 02:06 am: Edit

FHHUHH:CK ALL YOU LEE LOVERS. HE IS A WNAKHHE:R, FHHU:CK HIM. NEXT SEAOSN WE GOING UP WITH MERSE

By Exile (203.167.253.205) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 03:51 am: Edit

JMAN, comments like yours are not necessary, wanted, or accurate. Apart from the bit about going up next season.

Just how, exactly, do you think abusing a reasonable proportion of the fan base and our old manager will help?

Take your time. I am sure that your response will be (a) unprintable (b) unintelligible and (c) a long way off.

Cheers all,
Exile

By df (193.237.102.207) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 08:58 am: Edit

Crouch End Saddler you are so right. We probably wouldn't have lost 0-5 at Norwich under Lee. Having said that I doubt we'd have lost 0-3 under Merse at Gillingham and when all the maths is done this is the result that nailed down the coffin lid.
Blaming others right to the bitter end, Colin would be so proud.

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.27.122) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 02:27 pm: Edit

colin - I thought Bradbury had a good game yesterday and if you went to Palace last week you'll know he had an excellent game. I don't particularly want us to keep him because now is the time to give Fryatt a prolonged chance. Bradbury will never score many goals but his skill to hold the ball up is something we've desparately lacked all season up front apart from when Emblen has played there.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

Well, I do want him to stay, as he is a completely different player to Fryatt. It's the likes of Jorge he would be competing with and, I have to say, Bradbury is far better at holding the ball up and bringing others into play than Jorge.

By Stu (13.16.137.11) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 04:21 pm: Edit

I'm hoping Bradbury stays next season, he'll make a great partner for Fryatt in my view. Bradbury always seems able to create his own space, something Jorge hasn't done for a long time.

And to say Andrews didn't improve our squad, my god, what games are you watching. He is by far our best central midfielder and I'd give my right arm to see him at ours next season.

•••••• be bothered with this "blame" culture though, there can be dozens of reasons why we went down.

All that matters now is we come straight back up.

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.27.122) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 04:23 pm: Edit

Agree Neil, but to build a younger side though (which I think this is the perfect opportunity to do so) if Birch could hold the ball up like he did against Forest at home and Bradford away in every game we wouldn't have a problem. In fact we'd have a younger cheaper version who will probably score more goals.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.190.202) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 05:56 pm: Edit

That's a big "if"•••••• best of luck to him if he can!

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.190.202) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 05:59 pm: Edit

That's a big 'if' , b e s t of luck to him if he can! THIS MESSAGE BOARD IS GETTING VERY VERY IRRITATING

By Ian Gittins (217.44.62.242) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 07:01 pm: Edit

Oh, I don't know. This new guess-the-word game is quite diverting.

By Dave Roe (81.135.90.38) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

You ought to be ashamed of yourselves Neil & Stu. I know both of you and you are both sensible, well educated and well balanced people. But you constantly let yourselves down with a string of c a n t 's and b e s t s in your posts. Are you unable to write without resorting to these disgusting, filthy and unneccesary words ?

By Geoff Whiting (195.92.168.163) on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 01:25 am: Edit

Roellocks Dave

Blimey, exclamation marks are out as well !

What? So why did it allow that one but refused one at the end of the first line. What is happening on here Steve ?

By kevin (195.93.34.9) on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 02:04 am: Edit

Geoff,there's a shortage of exclamation marks at the moment,and in future they will be taxed.However commas and full stops are in plentiful supply,and you may possibly get tax credits for using them.
I think it's something to do with the EU.

Return to 2003-04 Season