Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Greatest Film Ever

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
dornansog
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:40 pm

Blade Runner directors cut. Gregorys girl .Does anyone remember the excellent film "that sinking feeling"? Brilliant

steelmass

Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:31 am

pulp fiction, MP and the holy grail, the good the bad and the ugly, darkstar , LOTR

ucow

Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:40 am

for me it has to be schindlers list followed by silence of the lambs (the film not the tamworth crowd!)

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:58 am

Nice one, Steelmass - Dark Star is one of those wonderful films that are superb but, for some reason, only get "cult" status. Vanishing Point is another excellent example, as is Duel.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:32 am

Shame about the avatar - it's a bit small - Lord Of The Donuts.

Gollum

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:36 am

Not "Bored of the Rings"?

:wink:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:05 pm

Got the book!

dornansog
UTS Veteran

Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:45 pm

Forgot the classic "matter of life or death" which was mentioned on radio this morning. Silent Running also great.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:59 pm

For those who haven't seen it, "A Matter of Life and Death", starring David Niven and directed by Eric Pressburger was one the undoubted masterpeices of English and, probably, world cinema. Beautifully photographed and using techniques which wouldn't become commonplace for another fifty years (freezing the background while the main characters interact half a century before The Matrix") it's a film you ought to see once, at least.

Advert over.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:01 pm

Is that the one where he's a pilot and he has to defend his life against an American Revolutionary, Neil?

Honourable mentions to the best of the Carry Ons: Carry On Cleo and Carry On Up The Khyber.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:13 pm

It is Warsaw. Carry on Cleo is, without a doubt, the best Carry On, mainly because they used the sets from the Taylor/Burton Cleopatra, which is why it looked so good, but mainly because of the best and corniest script of them all (and I was dying for an excuse for the following)

Caesar: Infamy, infamy. They've all got in for me.

Soothsayer: I will see whether the goddess will grant us a further vision. Oh Isis, sweet Isis...
Hengist Pod: They're lovely. I'm very sorry sir, it's an old saying we have back in Britain.

Cleopatra: [to Hengist who is dressed as Caesar] You do not look like your bust.
Julius Caesar: [who is dressed as Hengist] No, he's not. He's just a bit cracked.

Julius Caesar: Friends, Romans...
Whoever happens to be next to him: Countrymen.
Julius Caesar: I know!

Julius Caesar: I've cleaned up this city. Have you forgotten my slogan? 'Nihil expectore in omnibus' - no spitting on the public transport.

Mark Antony: All right, look here Marcus...
Spencius: No, no, I'm Spencius. 'S my brother what's Marcus. We're in partnership now, you know. Marcus & Spencius.

[The guard has just told Hengist that he will be going to the lions]
Hengist Pod: I hope they'e a nice family!
Horsa: Eh, Hengist, what he means is that you will be thrown to the lions, in the arena
Hengist Pod: oh, THOSE lions! Yahhh!
[Hengist jumps into Horsa's arms. Horsa puts Hengist down]
Horsa: Don't worry. Head in the mouth, quick snap of the jaws and it'll all be over!
Hengist Pod: Yes, but how am I going to get his head into my mouth?

Walsall Supporter

Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:32 am

Carry on films!, Well my daughter aged 11, has 26 carry on films, she is obsessed with them, even has framed pics of Sid James, Chalres hawtry and Kenneth Williams in her bedroom.

My fave is Carry on up the Khyber, best part is near the end, when they are sitting having dinner whilst the house is collasping around them, and Peter Butterworth picks up a candle and pretends to play it like a flute saying "Strawberry Mousse, Strawberry Mousse" Cracks me up everytime! (Carry on camping is a close second)

Worse one is Carry on Colombus!! Should never have been made!

HKSaddler
the "fececious" one

Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:35 am

Whilst on the subject of favourite lines from films, I always liked the one from Peter's Friends:

Rita Rudner: Do you have any Equal?
Stephen Fry: I'm sorry but I'm famous for having no equal!

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:36 am

"A Day At The Races" Groucho Marx, taking someone's pulse. "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped". Classic.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:42 am

From the same film:-

Hold me closer, closer. If I hold you any closer, I'll be in back of you.

Whitmore: Just a minute, Mrs Upjohn. That looks like a horse pill to me.
Dr. Hackenbush: Oh, you've taken them before.
Mrs. Upjohn: Are you sure, Doctor, you haven't made a mistake?
Dr. Hackenbush: You have nothing to worry about. The last patient I gave one of those to won the Kentucky Derby.

[Tony offers Dr. Hackenbush a hint book]
Tony: One dollar and you'll remember me all your life.
Dr. Hackenbush: That's the most nauseating proposition I ever had.

Gil: Are you a man or a mouse?
Dr. Hackenbush: You put a piece of cheese down there and you'll find out.

Dr. Hackenbush: Emily, I have a confession to make. I really am a horse doctor. But marry me, and I'll never look at another horse.

dornansog
UTS Veteran

Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:38 pm

I remember watching Matter of life and death when i was a kid and being totally amazed by it. it remains one of my favourites because I didnt know anything about it and had no expectations of it.unlike a lot of films that people tell me i must see and are a total anti climax.noone could be disappointed by this film.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:46 pm

It wouldn't be on the The Greatest Films ever list but I watched The Butterfly Effect last night with Ashton Kutcher. It was the directors cut which I saw which has a different ending to the one shown at the cinema apparently.

Most intriguing film I've seen for ages. I'd appreciate comments from anybody else who has seen it. If you haven't, rent it out!

Stonnall_Saddler

Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:53 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:It wouldn't be on the The Greatest Films ever list but I watched The Butterfly Effect last night with Ashton Kutcher. It was the directors cut which I saw which has a different ending to the one shown at the cinema apparently.

Most intriguing film I've seen for ages. I'd appreciate comments from anybody else who has seen it. If you haven't, rent it out!

great film i rented it a couple of months ago and has to be one of the most mind-blowing films i have ever watched, mine was the directors cut aswell, i never saw that ending coming at all, recommend it to anyone.

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:56 am

Anyone remember the film The Champ (or was it just Champ)?

If you didnt cry to that you're not human!

rugeleysaddler77

Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:35 pm

Once Upon a Time In America
The Green Mile
The Killing Fields
Platoon
Star Wars (all of em)
The Longest Day
Scarface
Shawshank Redemption

Previous
Return to UTS Classics