Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oliver Hewitt - aka Jolysaddler

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.
merse-iah's disciple

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:27 am

I can only echo what i have read on this thread, i am still in a state of shock and confusion.

Those of you that didn't have a chance to meet him missed out but from his posts on UTS and the comments on here you all can get a measure of the man.

I'm not embarrassed to say i'll miss him a lot - Matchdays, especially, won't be the same.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:51 am

I never met the guy but will say this.......there are but a handful of people on this board whose posts I ALWAYS read...because they make valid points, they're interesting, they're concise, intelligent, sometimes amusing, sometimes poignant, always well thought out.......for me, Joly was one of those. He'll be sadly missed :cry:

The tributes and memories posted here by those who did know him well bear testimony to an obviously quite remarkable individual. The world's a poorer place for the passing of such a person at SUCH a young age.

RIP

Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:58 am

I didn't know the guy but obviously read his post on UTS. A terrible shame for him to depart at such a young age - my thoughts go out to his family and friends.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:07 pm

I have just found out about this terrible news.
I enjoyed reading his posts on here and the humour and friendliness he shared.
I am bitterly disappointed not to have met him.

My thoughts are with his family and friends on this board and elsewhere.

He will be sadly missed.

Staffs_Saddler

Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:34 pm

Like everyone else I am deeply shocked by this terrible news. His family must be devastated.

My thoughts go out to them at this very difficult time.

RIP

Duke Wayne

Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:41 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:I hope the club are informed of this tragic news and arrange a tribute at one of our home games so we can all pay our repects to a super saddler
and a supporter we can all be proud of

I hope they do it would be very nice.

Scooby
UTS Regular

Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:48 pm

R.I.P JOLY, you were a saddler we can all aspire to be!

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:50 pm

What a very sad read.
I am totally shocked that someone so young and fit can be taken away so suddenly.
My thoughts go out to all his family and friends.

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:13 pm

I've been away from the forum since after the match on tuesday and when I read this I couldn't believe it...

My thoughts go out to his family, friends and all that have the privilege to meet him.

I dont know if heavy metal was Jolys cup of tea but I still feel like quoting an Iron Maiden song..

"Only the good die young"

RIP

Colchester Saddler

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:59 pm

never met Joly but that seems to have been my loss judging by the warmth of the tributes.....his posts usually either a) made me laugh or b) educated me about all things walsall.....will be raising a pint of the black stuff to his memory this evening....very,very sad news, RIP Joly.......

rugeleysaddler77

Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:26 pm

Obviously a Saddler through and through wish i'd met the guy .
deepest condolences to Ollies family and friends UTS .

Horozontal Harry
Glitterati

Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:31 pm

"You don't get to choose how you're going to die, or when. You can only decide how you are going to live" (Joan Baez)

Joly decided to live his life with a smile on his face, and to try and put a smile on everyone elses. I think the moving and poignant postings on here prove that he managed it.

RIP Joly.

amazing red

Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:53 pm

KNOWN OLIVER WHEN HE WAS YOUNG IVE SIGNED THE BOOK HOPE PEOPLE TAKE TIME TO READ MY THOUGHTS ABOUT SUCH A TRUELY GREAT GENTLEMAN HE WAS,MISS YOU MATE FROM ME AND ALL MY FAMILY!

Quirkafleeg

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:52 pm

I've just been told this is the Joly saddler that played in the Rivals tournament last year.........oh my fudge god I'm so sorry...............R.I.P mate please pass on my best to his family and friends..... :cry:

THE_BURNING_RED
UTS Regular

Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:10 pm

he was speaking on the site only two days a go :shock: :shock: :shock: condolences to his family, i did not know him but from his posts he was full of life and a great laugh on here

SO LONG OLIVER :cry: :cry:

Its times like this that you put petty rivallays, and football out of your mind no person should die young, hope there is a tribute on saturday did he sit in the floors to go stand as i sure i regonised his face.

WSOne
UTS Regular

Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:23 pm

How about we rename the message board in his name?

kerrywfc

Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:33 pm

only know joly in passing . my condolence to his family . me and my freinds would like to add money to his fund who do we get on touch with :cry:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:34 pm

kerrywfc wrote:only know joly in passing . my condolence to his family . me and my freinds would like to add money to his fund who do we get on touch with :cry:

see http://www.upthesaddlers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=7685

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:43 pm

Like a few others, I only knew of him from the message boards, but having seen the pictures of him, I realised how many times I've seen him, particularly at away games. Clearly a fantasic supporter who will be missed. R.I.P

McNugget

Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:44 pm

shocking news, only found out today

R.I.P Joly

Tez66

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:06 pm

Hav'nt been posting long and have never met any of you guys. Have read through the tributes and heart felt messages and can only form the opinion that he must have been a great guy to have known. Such a tragic loss at such a young age, snaps life back into perspective.

R.I.P

bobby-dazzler

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:23 pm

Having see nthe picture of Oliver on some of your profiles i now realise who is is and was in my school.

Very shocked and upset.

bazzaboy2006

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:30 pm

i recognise him from games and im deeply saddened.
its a cruel world and i hope the lads can dedicate saturdays match to joly.
r.i.p you sounded a lovely guy and i feel ive missed out not knowing you as well as others.

baz

walsall 1984

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:34 pm

WOULDNT IT BE A GOOD IDEA IF SOMEONE COULD MAKE A BANNER FOR JOLY AND LAY IT ON THE PITCH SOMETHING LIKE RIP JOLY PUT IT IN OUR GOALMOUTH OR HOLD IT UP IN THE FLOORS 2 GO STAND THEN THE CLUB MIGHT DO SOMETHING LIKE A MINUTES SILENCE FOR HIM JUST A THOUGHT ANYWAY

larryhaggler

Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:51 pm

I never had the priviledge of meeting Joly, but I do recognise him from the match. Reading through the tributes you could not wish to meet a nicer fella, and a truer saddler. I have read many of his post's and it's still quite unbelieable - a tradegy.
My though's are with his family, friends.
R.I.P Oliver you will never be far from our thoughts.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:25 pm

Nothing more to be said. Reading this thread, there can be few supporters so universally liked. Sincerest condolences to family and friends at this time.

TheSaddlers
UTS Veteran

Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:27 pm

Unfortunately I haven't met the guy and from what everyone has said in his condolences book and on here I'm sure that he was a great guy and for that very reason it is a great loss and I'm sure he'll be missed by everyone close to him.

R.I.P
JolySaddler

tommyhayward

Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:34 pm

i also have not meet the guy, n im sure by what has been said he was gr8 chap. my respects go out 2 his family and every1 who was close to him
R.I.P

DAVE THE FISH

Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:34 pm

Deepest sympathy and condolences.

RIP

BEACON SADDLER

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:42 pm

what dreadful news,never met oli but respected his opinions,our deepest condolences to his family and all of his friends.
rip to a super saddler

PreviousNext
Return to You Said That Then