Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Oliver Hewitt - aka Jolysaddler

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.
philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Oliver Hewitt - aka Jolysaddler

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:06 pm

It is with the greatest sadness that I have the terrible duty of reporting the death of Oliver Hewitt at the age of 23. He was known as jolysaddler on this message board.

Oliver passed away during the night, it would appear peacefully. He hadn't been feeling well since the weekend, but was adament it was flu and that he'd be back to normal within a couple of days.

This has come as a complete shock to me, as Im sure it will to you.

At the moment, the family have not been contacted out of respect and our thoughts are with them. I'm sure in due course UTS will provide a fitting tribute to a truly wonderful person.

Phil

Update: 15:20
I have spoken to Oliver's step dad, who confirmed the news. The family are in shock, but coping with great dignity. I have passed on deepest condolences from myself, and the members of this board. MMF is presently trying to arrange a fitting tribute for Saturday's game, subject to agreement of the family.
Last edited by philthesaddler on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Joe90
Glitterati

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:11 pm

But he was only PMing me early this morning?
I'm deeply, deeply shocked.
Obviously, my thoughts are with all his friends and family.
Last edited by Joe90 on Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cal's a saddler
UTS Regular

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:12 pm

I heard the news from Ucow and my brother who played footy for the same church side as Joly a little while ago. Still trying to believe it. What a very very sad day. My thoughts go to his family and friends.

Joe90
Glitterati

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:15 pm

Holy s***.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:17 pm

:shock:

Walsall Supporter

I only knew him via the message board, and this news has really upset me.
Condolenses to all his family and everyone who knew him.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

I cant believe this, ollie was a true friend, played football with him and everything! always spoke to him at matches, always had a chat. i dont know what to say. im in absolute shock, god knows what his family is like. my thoughts are with everyone you knew ollie. i cant believe it.

sean511
UTS Regular

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:18 pm

Very unfortunate, he was so young as well.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:20 pm

23 ? FFS.

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:23 pm

I really am deeply shocked and saddened by this, I didn't know him for very long, but from what I did know of him he was a great lad, he bought me a drink at Tranmere, and even lent me his season ticket for Tuesday, I mean I even saw him on Tuesday, and he sent me a PM yesterday.

I really am quite speechless.

My thoughts go out to his family.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:23 pm

I heard the news earlier from his mate Rich (Locks a Saddler). I'm shocked. I really don't know what to say.

I have got to know Oli very well over the last year or so and we've become good mates. I can only imagine how all his family and friends such as Phil and Rich must be feeling who have known him a lifetime.

My thoughts are with them and everybody else who knew him.

I'm clinging to the fact that Joe90 had a PM from him this morning and this is some major cruel misunderstanding. I'd certainly rather accept that than the news I am trying to deal with now.

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:25 pm

Walsall Supporter wrote:I only knew him via the message board, and this news has really upset me.
Condolenses to all his family and everyone who knew him.

Like you i only knew him through the board

iam very saddened by this dreadful news my thoughts are with his family and loved ones god bless

Joe90
Glitterati

We were chatting about 3-4am. He seemed fine.

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Magic Man Fan wrote:I heard the news earlier from his mate Rich (Locks a Saddler). I'm shocked. I really don't know what to say.

I have got to know Oli very well over the last year or so and we've become good mates. I can only imagine how all his family and friends such as Phil and Rich must be feeling who have known him a lifetime.

My thoughts are with them and everybody else who knew him.

I'm clinging to the fact that Joe90 had a PM from him this morning and this is some major cruel misunderstanding. I'd certainly rather accept that than the news I am trying to deal with now.

I really am in shock, and I too am really hoping that it is some terrible misunderstanding.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:26 pm

Joe90 wrote:We were chatting about 3-4am. He seemed fine.

im clinging onto this hope joe

saddlersdaz
UTS Regular

Only ever spoke to Jolysaddler through this message board... my thoughts go out to Oliver, his family, and his friends.

RIP Joly

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Oh my god! I am deeply saddened and shocked by this news.

I spoke to oli at Tranmere and we was having a little laugh and a few jokes. I cannot believe that he has died.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

It just isnt right that a lad as good as Oli and at the age of 23 should die when there are b@stards in this world still living.

R.I.P Joly.
Last edited by YGA Saddler on Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:35 pm

Oh my God!

:cry:

I too will cling on to the hope that this is some kind of mistake or misunderstanding.

To all those fortunate enough to know him, if the unfortunate news turns out to be correct, please accept my sincerest condolences!

R.I.P

ucow

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:38 pm

i am still in a state of shock jolly was a fantastic person i couldnt beleve it when phil told me about it i am deeply shocked at the moment i cannot even start to comprehend how his mom dad and sister must be feeling right now.

rest in peace mate you will be sorrowly missed form the board and at the matched. :cry:

sean511
UTS Regular

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:39 pm

I also only knew Joly from the messageboard but this still saddens me. My thoughts go out to his family and friends and i wish them all of the best in this difficult time.

RIP Jolysaddler

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:48 pm

Deep Shock,

I only knew him since the last UTS night out but we spoke many times since, usually at away matches, he was one of Mrs Cheeses biggest fans... She was the one who let me know while checking the boards earlier. Deeply saddened, RIP mate.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:51 pm

R.I.P Mate

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:55 pm

Don't know what to say.

I only met him once, at the last UTS night out.

We've had a bit of banter on here since then.

I'm shaking with shock. What must the people that really knew him/loved him be thinking ?

My thoughts are with them.

Zola Saddler

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:01 pm

My deepest sympathies go out to his family & friends at this very sad time. I spoke to him a few times on the UTS board but have no idea what he looked like. Is he the one holding the Merson banner at Brentford ?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:03 pm

Zola Saddler wrote:My deepest sympathies go out to his family & friends at this very sad time. I spoke to him a few times on the UTS board but have no idea what he looked like. Is he the one holding the Merson banner at Brentford ?

Yeah Oli is the tall one in the dark coat next to TJ in the cream coat.
Last edited by Magic Man Fan on Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:07 pm

I have just spoken to his step dad, and he confirmed our worse fears. Oliver has indeed passed away.

Oliver was feeling a bit ill last night, aching a bit - and asked to be woken up to day at 9am to see how he felt to make a decision about going to the doctors.

His family are clearly in shock, but there were good enough to speak to me.

I have passed on deepest condolonces on behalf of myself and those on this board.

I didn't want to ask any questions, I just passed on my deep condolonces, and my telephone number for them to contact me should they need to.

Phil

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:09 pm

I hope the club are informed of this tragic news and arrange a tribute at one of our home games so we can all pay our repects to a super saddler
and a supporter we can all be proud of

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:09 pm

This is unreal, I really can't get my head around it.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:10 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:I hope the club are informed of this tragic news and arrange a tribute at one of our home games so we can all pay our repects to a super saddler
and a supporter we can all be proud of

100% right, they have to.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:10 pm

:cry: What a waste of a life. He was so fit and healthy as well.

I know it will be down to his family but I think as so many of us know him a minutes silence at Saturday's game would be appropriate.

Next
Return to You Said That Then