Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Kevan Broadhurst

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.
bournemouthsaddler

Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:15 pm

I thought when Merson signed it was great for the club. But I think it was a bad move as it unbalanced the team. Lee tried to fit a team around him and Corica. It didn't work as both were lazy. They looked great against the Baggies and in hindsight it was probably a bad thing that we won as it looked like the answer.
Merse tried to build a team around himself and it was often like playing with ten men. Wingers were ignored and we had two players with no real position. All these fancy systems are okay if like Chelsea you have world class FIT players. We dont have either. merson had to go, I would have loved him to suceed, but we got worse and worse until we hiy rock bottomat Brentford. Without doubt we are in sereious trouble and the new man has a lot of hard work in front of him.
Even Man U with all their talents struggled with lone striker tactics and they had Wayne Rooney in behind Van Horse face.
Look at the players we let go who are doing well now, Paul Hall, Zigor and Roberto Martinez at the Swans, and of course Karl Hawley.
We need to go back to good old 4-4-2 and play to players strengths, not pick the 'best' players and try to fit a system around them.
I think this will happen, the players will get fit and sharp again. We do lack in the goalkeeper and striker area and the fixtures are very tough. I hope we have a couple of weeks with the new manager syndrome and beat Bournemouth and Yeovil, giving Kevan something to build on.

blobbyh

Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:45 pm

All I know is that this division is tat - and ever since we got relegated with Merse as manager I have continually hoped that either Merson would sort things out and do well - or he would go and someone else who actually had a managerial brain would be appointed and we would at last see our true potential

Whether Kevan is the man - who knows?????????????????

Graydon was a surprise and plucked from Port Vale backroom at the time I think.

Give the bloke a chance

matt1982

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:54 pm

CSFC wrote:
matt1982 wrote:Kevan Broadhurst??!!! Kevan Broadhurst??!! The stats speak for themselves. He couldn't manage a piss up in a brewery

Then you can't read, matt. Then again, he hasn't won the champions league, so you're right, he's no good for us. All he's done is twice save no hopers from relegation. No good for us at all. Broadhurst out.

Muppet :roll:

Your the one who can't read fella. Did you not see the stats posted earlier in the thread???!!!! Lost more games than he has won. You reckon those are good managerial abilities?? Please! No wonder WFC is in this situation with fans applauding an appointment this bad.

Broadhurst may have saved Northampton from relegation in 01/02 but he didn't do alot after that, even when given money. And if he was that good why did Bristol Rovers not approach him when he took the reigns their?

Muppet :lol:

redalways

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:32 am

If KB goes in the summer because we are relegated, how do you replace a cheap manager with no experience?

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:38 am

matt1982 wrote:
CSFC wrote:
matt1982 wrote:Kevan Broadhurst??!!! Kevan Broadhurst??!! The stats speak for themselves. He couldn't manage a piss up in a brewery

Then you can't read, matt. Then again, he hasn't won the champions league, so you're right, he's no good for us. All he's done is twice save no hopers from relegation. No good for us at all. Broadhurst out.

Your the one who can't read fella. Did you not see the stats posted earlier in the thread???!!!! Lost more games than he has won. You reckon those are good managerial abilities?? Please! No wonder WFC is in this situation with fans applauding an appointment this bad.

Broadhurst may have saved Northampton from relegation in 01/02 but he didn't do alot after that, even when given money. And if he was that good why did Bristol Rovers not approach him when he took the reigns their?

Isn't this the reason Bonser has appointed him, and only till the summer?

Got a good record of keeping struggling teams up. (Us)
And that's about it.
Have KB till the summer, when hopefully we have retained our league 1 (3rd Division) status.
June or July, appoint a new manager who could take us further and promotion (Stu Baxter)

For fudge sake GET BEHIND THE NEW MANAGER!!!

Could even finish in the top 10. Which would then be, on reflection, a very decent season!!!!

Kevan Broadhursts Red & White Army!!!!!

Those of yous lots slagging him off already make me effing sick and I wished yad all EFF OFF to the Molineux where all your sorts belong!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TEN YEARS AFTER

Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:04 am

From the Broadhust Stats at N`ton...........sounds familiar

Broadhurst is a very capable manager and will bounce back - he came across as a honest, likeable and articulate person and this probably increased the disquiet of the fans. Ultimately a combination of injuries, bad luck and inconsistency cost him his job. Broadhurst also was at the helm for the humiliating televised FA Cup defeat in the 2001/2 season at Canvey Island.

RECORD AS MANAGER (League Games Only)

P W D L F A Pts
62 20 12 30 70 98 72

STATS WORSE THAN MERSE

Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:13 am

TEN YEARS AFTER wrote:From the Broadhust Stats at N`ton...........sounds familiar

Broadhurst is a very capable manager and will bounce back - he came across as a honest, likeable and articulate person and this probably increased the disquiet of the fans. Ultimately a combination of injuries, bad luck and inconsistency cost him his job. Broadhurst also was at the helm for the humiliating televised FA Cup defeat in the 2001/2 season at Canvey Island.

P W D L F A Pts
62 20 12 30 70 98 72

STATS WORSE THAN MERSE

twerp

GET BEHIND HIM FOR fudge SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!

It's plebs like you that get the bloke HUNG before we've even kicked a ball

matt1982

Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:20 am

poo poo mr wrote:
TEN YEARS AFTER wrote:From the Broadhust Stats at N`ton...........sounds familiar

P W D L F A Pts
62 20 12 30 70 98 72

STATS WORSE THAN MERSE

twerp

How can you insult fans who are holding reservations over Broadhurst??!! Stats don't lie and his aren't that good!

Someone has said a top 10 finish?! Are you mad? We are going down, plain and simple. If Broadhurst was great at keeping teams up as alot of you are spouting, then why is he know out of a job, sacked by a team 2/3 years ago who are in a league below us.

If you expect alot of fans to be jumping for joy and doing cartwheels then you are well off the mark.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:13 am

matt1982 wrote:
poo poo mr wrote:

P W D L F A Pts
62 20 12 30 70 98 72

STATS WORSE THAN MERSE

twerp

How can you insult fans who are holding reservations over Broadhurst??!! Stats don't lie and his aren't that good!

Someone has said a top 10 finish?! Are you mad? We are going down, plain and simple. If Broadhurst was great at keeping teams up as alot of you are spouting, then why is he know out of a job, sacked by a team 2/3 years ago who are in a league below us.

If you expect alot of fans to be jumping for joy and doing cartwheels then you are well off the mark.

Stats don't lie, but neither do they tell the truth out of context, and that's why you're being insulted - you've not got the whole story, and you're being selective in your pre-judgement of Broadhurst. KB kept a desperately poor Northampton side up, with no money and no hope. They were ten points adrift when he was appointed, and he had no prospect of improving the team he was given other then getting the players to perform. He did the same at BR. His departure from northampton at least (not sure about BR) was a surprise to most fans, and was probably along the same lines as Buckley's removal and replacement by Coakley (look it up). That'll do for me - he's on very familiar ground here.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:01 am

poo poo mr wrote:
matt1982 wrote:
CSFC wrote:

And that's about it.
Have KB till the summer, when hopefully we have retained our league 1 (3rd Division) status.
June or July, appoint a new manager who could take us further and promotion (Stu Baxter)

Could even finish in the top 10. Which would then be, on reflection, a very decent season!!!!

Those of yous lots slagging him off already make me effing sick and I wished yad all EFF OFF to the Molineux where all your sorts belong!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good God - I'm argeeing qwith PooPoo! If he suceeds in keeping us up, he gets a longer (and deserved) contract, if he doesn't, we get a chance at another option. Personally, I'm more than fed up with "names" and a qualified coach and football man will do me.

As for Merson coming back as a player, he seems to have found his true level, as I hear he will sign today - for Tamworth. So much for walking into clubs in this Division.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:08 am

Tamworth!

Oh well, thanks for your efforts Paul, the goals were good at any rate.

Good luck at Tamworth

ucow

Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:11 am

matt1982 £45 grand realy is a load of money to spend on players NOT!!!!!! if you are going to slag him off at tleast get your facts right! he was removed from his position at northampton because of a take over and the new people wanted their own man in charge who then went on to spend all the money! lok back on the thread if you dont beleve me it was posted by someone who knows a northampton fan and has filled them in with teh details! and its also nice to know that northampton fans are backing him as he was good for them and my blue nosed mates at work say he is a good coach/potential manager and he worked their as well!

sean511
UTS Regular

Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:11 am

its wrong to slag him off, he's only been here a day. I can see it know, we lose to southend and all the broadhurst out banners will be there! Give him a chance some of you. Get behind the manager!

frogdoctor

THE STATS..

Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:15 am

Kevan Broadhurst

P W D L F A Pts
62 20 12 30 70 98 72

interesting....?

Exile
Jobsworth

Re: THE STATS..

Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:50 am

frogdoctor wrote:Kevan Broadhurst

P W D L F A Pts
62 20 12 30 70 98 72

interesting....?

Stats don't lie, but neither do they tell the truth out of context. KB kept a desperately poor Northampton side up, with no money and no hope. They were ten points adrift when he was appointed, and he had no prospect of improving the team he was given other then getting the players to perform. He did the same at BR. His departure from northampton at least (not sure about BR) was a surprise to most fans, and was probably along the same lines as Buckley's removal and replacement by Coakley (look it up). That'll do for me - he's on very familiar ground here.

stafflers
UTS Regular

Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:54 am

Stats don't lie - and we haven't lost a single match since he's been in charge :?

Get behind and get behind the lads.

Wayne's Ecker

Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:02 am

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it elsewhere but KB is an ex-Saddler. Well loannee anyway.....he played in 3 games in November 1979 when we were (ahem) in the old 4th division. I checked the records last night and saw him in two of them, a home draw with Pompey and a win at Peterborough.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:28 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
poo poo mr wrote:
matt1982 wrote:
CSFC wrote:

And that's about it.

GAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good God - I'm argeeing qwith PooPoo! If he suceeds in keeping us up, he gets a longer (and deserved) contract, if he doesn't, we get a chance at another option. Personally, I'm more than fed up with "names" and a qualified coach and football man will do me.

As for Merson coming back as a player, he seems to have found his true level, as I hear he will sign today - for Tamworth. So much for walking into clubs in this Division.
YOU LOT MAKE ME fudge SMILE,YOU REALLY DO...YOU DONT MIND SOME DEMENTED twerp WHO IS OBSSESED WITH fudge TURDS POSTING TURD RELATED THREADS EVERY 2 fudge MINUTES...YOU'VE EVEN GOT ONE OF THE fudge MODERATORS AGREEING WITH HIM "WELL SAID MR POO POO" BUT ODINARY FANS WHO HAVE PROPPER WELL GROUNDED FEARS BASED ON BROADHURSTS STATS...WHICH LOOK TO SAY THE VERY LEAST DODGEY...YOU ALL START TELLING THEM THEY ARE TRAITORS...WELL JUST FOR THE RECORD I AM 100% BEHIND BROADHURST AND THINK HE MAY DO SOME GOOD...BUT IT DOES'NT TAKE A BIG STRETCH OF ONE;S IMAGINATION TO SEE THE POINTS MADE BY OTHERS ON HERE COULD BE VALID TOO...HAVE A GO AT THAT SICKO POO POO IF YOU WANT TO HAVE A GO AT SOMEONE JUST FOR EXPRESSING AN OPINION.. :evil:

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:50 pm

I don't know if anyones' mentioned it above (only had time to skim read them). But perhaps the reason his wins to defeats record isn't that good is because he has always taken over at struggling clubs. Even if he has avoided relegation, the fact that they are one of the worst teams in the division means that the wins/games ratio isn't exactly going to be brilliant.

THE_BURNING_RED
UTS Regular

Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:25 pm

i was surprised when i heard whos been chosen spent most of his time with tom ross on brmb doing blues commentarys knows what he is talking about tho

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:17 pm

A quote from a Cobblers fan (no jokes!):

He was the brains behind our promotion in 2000 but fell out with manager kevin Wilson the following year, and his departure was very much at the highpoint of what that team achieved. A year later when KW was sacked, KB was recalled and steered the team to a miraculous escape from relegation. The following year, with his overachieving ageing team at a club with no money in a creditable 14th, he was sacked by the incoming new money chairman. Replaced with Terry Fenwick, the team all too predictably sank to an early relegation.

I will not hear a word against the guy. He is intelligent, tactically astute and gets the best out of players. If you have the players to survive, KB will be the man to knock them into shape.

This seems to be the prevailing view amongst those who've seen him at work, as opposed to looked at his WDL stats.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:39 pm

matt1982 wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:
matt1982 wrote:What an absolute f up Bonser has made of this situation.

Kevan Broadhurst??!!! Kevan Broadhurst??!! The stats speak for themselves. He couldn't manage a piss up in a brewery, which by the way Merse could do adequately!!!

I now hope Merse does come back as a player and bloody keeps us up. How ironic that would be! All is forgiven Paul!

Errrmmm............... how about NO!! :roll:

I tell you what i wouldn't be against Merse returning as a player now. He never wronged us in his playing abilities. He would walk into most teams in this division, and i can't see Broadhurst doing anything with these players!

So why was Merson allowed time ? What was so special about him, that he deserved a chance to get things right, even though it was obvious he was a disaster waiting to happen.

Give the guy a chance for god sake, he hasn't even stepped in the door and you want him out.

Floodlight Pylon

Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:48 pm

good luck to him, hope he does well for us. that's all i can say. wont judge until he has had a decent chance to prove himself (with an arm tied behind his back). good luck to merse at tamworth too, hope he has success.
up the saddlers!

Previous
Return to You Said That Then