Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Kevan Broadhurst

Reaction to the biggest events in Walsall FC's recent history. This section also houses the tributes paid to Jolysaddler.
hullsaddler
Glitterati

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:45 pm

I'm relieved that we have actually finally appointed someone. Give the guy a chance. Let's see if he can get us out of the almighty mess we are currently in.
Wonder what effect the fact that he is on such a short contract will have when it comes to motivating some of the current bunch who are on longer contracts and have been underperforming om the pitch. Are some of them likely to think 'well JB doesn't seem to have much faith in this guy, so why should I?'

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:47 pm

I can't say this appointment has me jumping for joy but for god's sake why not give the bloke a chance before slagging him off.

At this point in time he has come in to try and do a job and save us from the drop. We owe it to him and the club to give him our support as he tries to do this. IF he fails miserably then I will feel totally justified in having a go but until then I will support him 100%

If he is reading this board he probably feels like quitting before he has even started.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:47 pm

wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Best case scenario: He saves us, we do well next season

Worst Case scenario: We get relegated, manager is sacked, leaving free for all end of the season, last game at barnsley there are riots and Bonser admits hes wrong :D

Im looking forward to wearing my tin hat. :lol:

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:48 pm

Dave Gittins wrote:
If he is reading this board he probably feels like quitting before he has even started.

Awaits official club statement :twisted:

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:58 pm

Mike T wrote:
sid swifty wrote:MAYBE THIS IS THE CHEAP OPTION...HE MAY JUST HAVE THE JOB UNTIL THE END OF THE SEASON...AND PERHAPS JB IS WAITING FOR HIS REAL TARGET BE OUT OF CONTRACT...STRANGER THINGS HAVE HAPPENED...SO LETS ALL GO WITH JBs FLOW SHALL WE...?...AND SEE WHAT JOURNEY HE TAKES US ON...IT MAY BE THE WALTZERS OR THE GHOST TRAIN...I TALK SOME RUBBISH SOMETIMES DONT I...?...BUT I WILL POST IT ANYWAY... :roll:

Nah that's not rubbish.. I see the journey ahead like driving a car down a bumpy road in winter holding a cup of coffee...some may spill out of the cup into my crotch burning me badly and some may go down my throat and warm me for some of the trip. The new appointment may produce some scalding and some warming but let's see what happens.......Now that's rubbish :D
its nice to know someone else talks rubbish mike..gives you a nice warm feeling mate...but you'd know more about that than me would'nt you really... :D :wink:

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Re: Contract Length

Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:00 pm

If he'd been given an 18 month contract, I'm sure there would be as many people (probably the same people) complaining that he should have been given a contract until the end of the season to see how he performs. :roll:

dobbster71
UTS Veteran

Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:00 pm

Guys, give the man a chance. He knows all about relegation scraps, which the previous "manager" wouldn't have even grasped. At least we'll have some organisation & motivation instilled in the players from now until the end of the season. They might even start training on a Monday!!

For all the moaners, who did you think we'd get in? Fabio Capello????

Biggles
UTS Veteran

Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:08 pm

Not jumping up and down with delight, BUT, I think we should all get behind him and the players screw Bonser forget about him. Give the bloke 6 or 7 games by then we might have an idea of what he is capable of doing with our cureent squad. He may well be our saviour come the end of the season. :D

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:09 pm

dobbster71 wrote:Guys, give the man a chance. He knows all about relegation scraps, which the previous "manager" wouldn't have even grasped. At least we'll have some organisation & motivation instilled in the players from now until the end of the season. They might even start training on a Monday!!

For all the moaners, who did you think we'd get in? Fabio Capello????

Agreed. Let's get on with rescuing this season.

bazzaboy2006

Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:10 pm

f*** it

rather have stuck with merson

god forsaken club

might start going to burton

at least they have ambition

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:11 pm

The only thing that Kevan will be happy with at the moment is that he is being judged on Paul Merson's record.

CSFC

Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:12 pm

bazzaboy2006 wrote:f*** it

god forsaken club

Go on, f**k off to Burton then. Good riddance. By the looks of things, you might as well take a small coach load of idiots with you too. :evil:

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:15 pm

I'm not exactly delighted about the appointment, but fair do's, let's give him a chance to give it a go.

Ian. I know exactly what he said in the interview, "I'll do it for cheaper than any other applicant". That was it, job sorted.

Geordie, I hope that part of the contract offer from Bonser wasn't that he had to bring Merson back. If that is the case then I also will NOT go to another game while Bonser owns this club.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:20 pm

I honestly don't see how it can be. There are certain things as unfair contract terms!

Also he has asked for the fans to be his "12th man" and for the focus to be on staying up, well he knows fine well that if he picks PM the first thing he will achieve is to open up the old divisions within the crowd and create a massive distraction from the task at hand.

myleftknee
UTS Veteran

Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:20 pm

god forsaken club

hahahahahahaha, fudge idiot!!!

mrwhite

Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:23 pm

saddlerken wrote:
popperpancake wrote:
AC wrote:
WarsawPact wrote:
Ian Gittins wrote:Jesus. Walsall fans at their most optimistic, open-minded and enlightened. What is wrong with you lot? I'm not doing cartwheels of joy at this appointment either, but none of us know what Broadhurst said at his interview, what plans he has, how he will work out.

We criticised Bonser for being seduced by the cult of celebrity when he let Merson run riot for so long. When we thought he was going to appoint Platt, we criticised him for making the same mistake. Now he has appointed a not-at-all-big-name lower league manager with coaching badges, we... criticise him. What has the bloke got to do?

Yes, Broadhurst is worryingly obscure, but so was Ray Graydon. I'm not initially excited by this choice, but what I'm certainly not going to do is pre-judge and condemn. Bonser has avoided the cult of celebrity, and hasn't taken the obvious option of going back to Nicholl, Graydon or Hibbitt. So let's see how this pans out.

What he said.

Ditto 8)

I'll go with Gittins

Same here

Im with ya!

not a brilliant appointment but not the worst IMO!!

I know a lot of us wanted Ned Kelly in as manager but i would rather be calling for KevAn's name in 12 moinths (if he fecks up) rather than Ned's simply cus he's a hero down walsall and i wouldnt want to see that.

:lol:

mrwhite

Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:25 pm

god forsaken club

PRIZE PRICK!!!!!

sj
Site Addict

Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:28 pm

Should be interesting now at least.

I'm backing him :D

sid swifty
Glitterati

Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:55 pm

myleftknee wrote:

god forsaken club

hahahahahahaha, fudge idiot!!!
WHATEVER HAPPENED TO PEOPLE BEING ALLOWED TO HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION...HOW BORING WOULD IT BE ON HERE IF WE ALL AGREED WITH EACH OTHER ALL THE TIME...?

Dazadadaz

Come on KevAn?

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:08 pm

Won't be at Southend, but will be on for a mad Welsh weekend with my Swansea supporting mate.....he came to the game at the Bescot....nuff said about that.....except thats when I really knew we were in for a horrible season.

I still think this division is the worst collection of crappy teams I have ever seen, and as bad as we are, we should be able to fight our way to safety.....

PyeGreenSaddler

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:23 pm

never heard of him before today but not too dissapointed with the decision as at least it is not David Platt or someone similar who will come in bleed the club dry probably not deliver and leave us in cack streaks!! At least with broadhurst if he is crap we can get rid of him no bother rather than platt etc who would want a pay off. And at least hes got caoaching badges!! Merson never did. but i think we shouldnt be too disheartened

bournemouthsaddler

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:47 pm

The two mosr exciting appointments lately have been Fat Jan and Merse. The dullest Sir Ray. Good luck Kev. UTS

andy__vh

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:49 pm

PerStener wrote:Congratulations to all moaners who once again will have something to moan about.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope this thread is saved and put over to "You Said That Then".

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

best post of the day!!!

andy__vh

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:52 pm

bournemouthsaddler wrote:The two mosr exciting appointments lately have been Fat Jan and Merse. The dullest Sir Ray. Good luck Kev. UTS

very true!!!

rith...

Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:00 pm

I decided to check back here to see if you'd appointed Platt - Bonsor has made the right decision by not doing so. That said, I'm almost certain that there will have been a higher standard of applicant for the job than this Broadhurst chap - I'd propose that he was only given the nod over Platt because of his lesser wage demands...

We were equally uninspired by Paul Hart's appointment at Forest and he ended up taking us to the play-offs - playing Clough brand football along the way. Alas, he climatically made a terrible balls up of the entire affair and ended up on the wrong side of a P45.

I don't think you'll get relegated, but it looks like you've not got much to look forward to regardless (I think I read that KB will get the full-time job if you stay up...)

Good grief, and our supporters whinge about the free-spending Nigel Doughty...

fastestmouse

Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:08 pm

The man can't even spell KEVIN! BOSOC :lol:

Bitter Tree Hugger
Notts

Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:57 pm

WTF !!

I had to look up who he was :shock:

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:05 pm

What's it like
What's it like
What's it like to have no boss.

You're only jealous, and anyway I'd hardly describe Frank Barlow and Ian McParland as household names! Probably more famous in Walsall the pair of them.

rith...

Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:31 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:What's it like
What's it like
What's it like to have no boss.

You're only jealous, and anyway I'd hardly describe Frank Barlow and Ian McParland as household names! Probably more famous in Walsall the pair of them.

Well, you should know - your new manager was only appointed today!

I'd rather have Barlow and McParland than this bargain basket appointment of your own...

It's also worth noting that Barlow/McParland are a temporary fixture, our next manager will undoubtedly be somebody who other teams' supporters have actually heard of :)

Pelsall_Saddler

Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:35 pm

I can't believe some of these comments. For God's sake give the bloke a chance, lets see where we are come May 6th.

KEVAN BROADHURSTS BARMY ARMY! 8)

PreviousNext
Return to You Said That Then