Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Fleetwood Town (A) 5th May, 5.30pm

Reports and reaction from the 2017-2018 season as Walsall finished 19th in League 1
UTS Legend

Re: Fleetwood Town (A) 5th May, 5.30pm

Sun May 06, 2018 12:31 am

Our final few seconds on Channel 5. (We'd have had a lot more if we hadn't got that point at Bradford.:D)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1da4Wo6 ... p=drivesdk

Gripper
Glitterati

Sun May 06, 2018 1:08 am

chunkster wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:cack performance. Gillespie the poorest of them all.

Positives were the performances of Callum Cockerill-Mollett and Maz Kouhyar who were the only bright sparks of the afternoon.
cack performance from Gillespie because he knows he is on his way out :wink:

Agreed.

On Gillespie, how have we pulled it out the bag with a really good keeper in Roberts again? Give it 2/3 years and we’ll have Johnny Brain again.

Mike Vale
UTS Regular

Sun May 06, 2018 7:07 am

It was a great day out. Very uninspiring performance from the team. CC-M has a lot to learn but there is a player there. I thought Kory Roberts looked good at right back. Unfortunately, some of our young hopefuls from not so long ago look out of their depth at League 1 level.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sun May 06, 2018 7:20 am

Great day out only ruined by the football with a fair number of fans heading back to the pubs at half time :lol:

i really didn't understand the line up , there was nothing to gain from it as we already know those given a chance we're just not good enough. The only justification i can think of is he may of been paving the way to release a number of them I.e final chance.

From a personal level I genuinely can't remember a line up as poor as that in my 25 years of following the club. How we escaped relegation is beyond me, now it's down to Dean and the club to wield the axe fingers crossed.

UTS

saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Sun May 06, 2018 8:04 am

Kids playing in a dead rubber or not, that was cack. Can't emphasise enough how much of a job needs doing over the next few months. I think there were a few starters yesterday who have played their last game in a Walsall shirt.

Good following, good noise. First visit to that ground, the absolute state of it. And to think they were on the brink of the Championship :lol: Special mention to the jobsworth safety steward who literally went around deflating the blow up beach balls etc before kick off.

Note to some supporters - we create a great atmosphere when we try with some gallows humour thrown in for good measure, but asking a warming-up Liam Kinsella if his sister takes it up the arsenal is unlikely to endear the kid to the club or its supporters.

SO happy this piss poor season is over. Let's hope we can look forward to 18/19 with renewed optimism. UTS

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun May 06, 2018 8:51 am

saddlersjse wrote:Kids playing in a dead rubber or not, that was cack. Can't emphasise enough how much of a job needs doing over the next few months. I think there were a few starters yesterday who have played their last game in a Walsall shirt.

Good following, good noise. First visit to that ground, the absolute state of it. And to think they were on the brink of the Championship :lol: Special mention to the jobsworth safety steward who literally went around deflating the blow up beach balls etc before kick off.

Note to some supporters - we create a great atmosphere when we try with some gallows humour thrown in for good measure, but asking a warming-up Liam Kinsella if his sister takes it up the arsenal is unlikely to endear the kid to the club or its supporters.

SO happy this piss poor season is over. Let's hope we can look forward to 18/19 with renewed optimism. UTS
:lol: :lol: :lol: I witnessed some of our best humour at bristol city a few years ago :lol: even their fans were pising themselves.

PT
Site Addict

Sun May 06, 2018 9:29 am

chunkster wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:cack performance. Gillespie the poorest of them all.

Positives were the performances of Callum Cockerill-Mollett and Maz Kouhyar who were the only bright sparks of the afternoon.
cack performance from Gillespie because he knows he is on his way out :wink:

Got another year on his contract so we or he would need to find someone who wants him and I guess can match his money. And that will be decent money following Whitney allegedly doing a big chunk of our biggest ever budget on him, Leahy, Devlin and Guthrie.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun May 06, 2018 10:18 am

Quite surprised looking at the match report just now and seeing Leahy's name on the team sheet....I genuinely didn't hear his name mentioned once on the radio.

For those who went was he more invovled considering he was pushed up to left wing to get more out of his attacking play.

There are a lot of players who if regularly starting next season will mean a very difficult season. Baka, Leahy, Devlin, Flo, Kinsella etc. No issue with some of them remaining as subs but any of them starting 20 + games next season is asking for trouble.

I also agree Chambers has been a great servant but don't think he can be a regular next season.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sun May 06, 2018 10:26 am

SoccerHQ wrote:Quite surprised looking at the match report just now and seeing Leahy's name on the team sheet....I genuinely didn't hear his name mentioned once on the radio.

For those who went was he more invovled considering he was pushed up to left wing to get more out of his attacking play.

There are a lot of players who if regularly starting next season will mean a very difficult season. Baka, Leahy, Devlin, Flo, Kinsella etc. No issue with some of them remaining as subs but any of them starting 20 + games next season is asking for trouble.

I also agree Chambers has been a great servant but don't think he can be a regular next season.

Leahy was completely useless , no pace can't beat a man. The theory of him playing further up the pitch is shot due to him having no pace. So it's either left back or try and offload.

As for Flo , I was attending the game and forgot he was playing ... useless get rid.

And as for Baka his body language was shocking all game, another one who needs to go he's had his chance!

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun May 06, 2018 10:35 am

Mazza01 wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:Quite surprised looking at the match report just now and seeing Leahy's name on the team sheet....I genuinely didn't hear his name mentioned once on the radio.

Leahy was completely useless , no pace can't beat a man. The theory of him playing further up the pitch is shot due to him having no pace. So it's either left back or try and offload.

As for Flo , I was attending the game and forgot he was playing ... useless get rid.

And as for Baka his body language was shocking all game, another one who needs to go he's had his chance!

Indeed he HAD to be subbed for his own safety I thought, he was being mercifully jeered at every dreadful touch of the ball and failed tackle/pass/shot :lol: HAS to be jettisoned from the club.
Keates tried the youngsters, and has proved that we have a wasteland of talentless dross that has to go, a massive clearance and some new blood has to be the way forward.
Though we improved slightly in the second half with the introduction of Ozzy, we have absolutely nothing going forward at all, if we had still been playing now, with the Fleetwood team home with their wives, we still would not have been able to score. It was truly that bad.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sun May 06, 2018 10:38 am

Interesting time's but with Deano being a local lad and wanting to do well i'm sure he won't hesitate in making the changes needed.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Sun May 06, 2018 10:41 am

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:Interesting time's but with Deano being a local lad and wanting to do well i'm sure he won't hesitate in making the changes needed.

I think he has to for his own sake as this batch of players will put him out of a job.

I also think he will try and move a number of the contracted players on.

Paulus68
UTS Regular

Sun May 06, 2018 11:17 am

Quite impressed with shorrock when he came on. Had good energy , good technique and wanted to make things happen. I'd give him a chance.

SWS11
UTS Regular

Sun May 06, 2018 8:55 pm

Yeah. Ends with a whimper. Says it all. BUT WE STAYED UP. Got to find that a positive, even if the only one.
:D :) :( or :( :) :D
Take your pick.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun May 06, 2018 9:06 pm

Mazza01 wrote:
NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:Interesting time's but with Deano being a local lad and wanting to do well i'm sure he won't hesitate in making the changes needed.

I think he has to for his own sake as this batch of players will put him out of a job.

I also think he will try and move a number of the contracted players on.

The best thing about paying peanuts is it ought to make it easier to shift square pegs...

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Mon May 07, 2018 7:53 am

saddlersjse wrote:Note to some supporters - we create a great atmosphere when we try with some gallows humour thrown in for good measure, but asking a warming-up Liam Kinsella if his sister takes it up the arsenal is unlikely to endear the kid to the club or its supporters.

That's ridiculous, if true. While such terrace banter has been common toward opposition players for as long as I can remember e.g. Posh jibes for Beckham, Karen jibes for Pesch (& there's a whole other debate about when the offside flag goes up in that scenario too), to subject one of our own players to that, & regarding a young girl who's dad used to play for us, as well? Why would you even?

That's in a different league to the likes of singing "international superstar" at Grigg.

saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Mon May 07, 2018 5:32 pm

EvenFlow wrote:
saddlersjse wrote:Note to some supporters - we create a great atmosphere when we try with some gallows humour thrown in for good measure, but asking a warming-up Liam Kinsella if his sister takes it up the arsenal is unlikely to endear the kid to the club or its supporters.

That's ridiculous, if true. While such terrace banter has been common toward opposition players for as long as I can remember e.g. Posh jibes for Beckham, Karen jibes for Pesch (& there's a whole other debate about when the offside flag goes up in that scenario too), to subject one of our own players to that, & regarding a young girl who's dad used to play for us, as well? Why would you even?

That's in a different league to the likes of singing "international superstar" at Grigg.

Happened in the first half, pretty early on. Started as "Liam Kinsella, your sisters alright" and quickly devolved into the above. I'm all for taunting opposition and terrace banter, but that's overstepping the line, for me. If he heard it (which he more than likely did) he didn't react. No need for it.

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon May 07, 2018 9:47 pm

saddlersjse wrote:
EvenFlow wrote:

Happened in the first half, pretty early on. Started as "Liam Kinsella, your sisters alright" and quickly devolved into the above. I'm all for taunting opposition and terrace banter, but that's overstepping the line, for me. If he heard it (which he more than likely did) he didn't react. No need for it.
Agree i love some of our supporters humour, but i wasn't laughing at what they were singing at liam, i would never condone that :|

Gripper
Glitterati

Tue May 08, 2018 8:54 am

saddlersjse wrote:
EvenFlow wrote:

Don’t criticise our support it’s not allowed. Even when they are disgracing themselves.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Tue May 08, 2018 9:42 am

I must admit after a morning of rollercoasters and an afternoon of double gins in 80 degree heat I did care not one jot about the football... infact I didn't see either goal go in.

Great weekend

tinned
Site Addict

Tue May 08, 2018 12:33 pm

Absolute tosh! Keates now fully realises the utter mess he inherited from the useless bald tosser.

Gillespie surely is a somebody that is masquerading as a goalkeeper? Absolute horror of a performance!

Bakayoko must be shown the door. He's stealing a living as a professional footballer. That chance he refused when he passed it to Kouyhar was a disgrace. Call yourself a striker and you don't even have a pop from there? Taraa.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue May 08, 2018 12:43 pm

tinned wrote:Absolute tosh! Keates now fully realises the utter mess he inherited from the useless bald tosser.

Gillespie surely is a somebody that is masquerading as a goalkeeper? Absolute horror of a performance!

Bakayoko must be shown the door. He's stealing a living as a professional footballer. That chance he refused when he passed it to Kouyhar was a disgrace. Call yourself a striker and you don't even have a pop from there? Taraa.

Racist.

Not Racist.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue May 08, 2018 12:48 pm

scott_powell wrote:
tinned wrote:Absolute tosh! Keates now fully realises the utter mess he inherited from the useless bald tosser.

Racist.

Not Racist.

I do admit to discriminating between different players.

I discriminate against utterly cack players .

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue May 08, 2018 12:51 pm

tinned wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

Racist.

Not Racist.

:lol: As do I. Hope we see a massive overhaul this summer.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Tue May 08, 2018 1:03 pm

tinned wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

Racist.

Not Racist.

I remember the chance now, keeper 15 yards off his line and chooses to pass.... complete cack

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Tue May 08, 2018 1:41 pm

chunkster wrote:
saddlersjse wrote:
EvenFlow wrote:

Agree i love some of our supporters humour, but i wasn't laughing at what they were singing at liam, i would never condone that :|

I was disgusted, humour is one thing but gallows 'humour' of that kind should be stamped out completely, though it has to be noted that it came from the more undesirable kiddie winks, high on lager and bravado, who seemed to leave at half time to top up their alcohol consumption anyway.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed May 09, 2018 2:26 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:
chunkster wrote:
saddlersjse wrote:
EvenFlow wrote:

I was disgusted, humour is one thing but gallows 'humour' of that kind should be stamped out completely, though it has to be noted that it came from the more undesirable kiddie winks, high on lager and bravado, who seemed to leave at half time to top up their alcohol consumption anyway.

The kind who’ve never met Evo, who doesn’t arrive till half time. :mrgreen:

tinned
Site Addict

Wed May 09, 2018 12:16 pm

Exile wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:I was disgusted, humour is one thing but gallows 'humour' of that kind should be stamped out completely, though it has to be noted that it came from the more undesirable kiddie winks, high on lager and bravado, who seemed to leave at half time to top up their alcohol consumption anyway.

The kind who’ve never met Evo, who doesn’t arrive till half time. :mrgreen:

In Evo's defence he was in early on Saturday (at the most fifteen minutes after kick off). Wearing a very fetching princess crown as well :lol:

Cully
Site Addict

Fri May 11, 2018 6:23 am

I went, I saw, I came home. What a total waste of my time.

See you all next season!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue May 22, 2018 7:49 am

I agree.

Previous
Return to 2017-18 Season