Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

The Ashes 2017 & NZ 2018

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Re: The Ashes 2017 & NZ 2018

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:32 pm

In the run slog that defines limited overs cricket, I was glad to see that one of Chris Woakes' overs was a maiden. Well done, Warwickshire man!!

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:15 am

Woakes is now in a very exclusive club of those who have 1000 runs and 100 wickets in ODI's for England.

SA v Aus test series starts very soon. Should give some perspective to the Ashes debacle. Aus are away but SA offers them the nearest to home conditions there is.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:48 am

3rd ODI . England 234. Not as bad as it looks, but no one seems to know what a par score is. Bookies have NZ around 1/2.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:54 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:In the run slog that defines limited overs cricket, I was glad to see that one of Chris Woakes' overs was a maiden. Well done, Warwickshire man!!

And now the Pears' Moeen Ali has bowled a wicket maiden. Looks like England's game.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:16 pm

A win, but what a flat one. If the locals can't be bothered to half fill a stadium that's quite intriguing....

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:49 am

This is shaping up nicely.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:55 am

Well, that was an innings of two halves. A pair of centuries, then we lose 6/68 before Curran smashes a great final over to make it 335/9.

Game on.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:29 am

Wow. England threw that away. What a game.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:26 pm

They're still making mistakes and learning. No bad thing, as far as I'm concerned. The purpose of this ODI team is to win next year's World Cup-no point in peaking now. If they're collapsing like that in 12 months, then would be the time to worry.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:00 pm

Test series starts in NZ overnight. Starting later than usual. Clearly it's been put back so as not to clash with Deano's first match. (It's a day/nighter, really.)

It's been noticeable again during the SA v Aus series just how far behind these teams England are in getting some life out of the old Kookaburra,as also shown in the Ashes. Might not matter so much under lights,it didn't so much in Adelaide. But it's a long standing problem-how many times in 13/14 did they get Oz 5/6 down , then nothing. Not helped by not having a consistently test class spinner. Mason's injury might be a blessing in disguise if Leach gets a game, but I don't think you have too many two-spinner pitches in NZ.Prediction? 1-1 is favourite in the betting, and I can't see past that (weather permitting .)

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:06 am

Gonna be a hard day at work for Exile.

23 for 8.

Don't think it's gonna be enough.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:01 am

Small consolation that Agnew is back on the radio, and, with Vic Marks, makes it listenable. They're making the point now that I think PT made further up this thread. That practice matches for touring teams the world over are now a joke. What's the point of playing "matches" where teams end 300/12? They might as well play a practice match amongst themselves.
( The downside is that the idiot Swann is still on there. Great player,bloody arrogant fool on the radio)

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:32 pm

shrewsbury saddler wrote: That practice matches for touring teams the world over are now a joke. What's the point of playing "matches" where teams end 300/12? They might as well play a practice match amongst themselves.

Because the authorities don't give a monkeys about test cricket. And I get the feeling the players don't.All they see is the ££££'s in the one day stuff (and why shouldn't they ?).

Tavare would have carried his bat yesterday.

Test cricket RIP.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:30 pm

Kevlar wrote:Gonna be a hard day at work for Exile.

23 for 8.

Don't think it's gonna be enough.

It's lucky I work from home. Doubly lucky that I'm out of the country. :mrgreen:

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:33 pm

shrewsbury saddler wrote:Test series starts in NZ overnight. Starting later than usual. Clearly it's been put back so as not to clash with Deano's first match. (It's a day/nighter, really.)

It's been noticeable again during the SA v Aus series just how far behind these teams England are in getting some life out of the old Kookaburra,as also shown in the Ashes. Might not matter so much under lights,it didn't so much in Adelaide. But it's a long standing problem-how many times in 13/14 did they get Oz 5/6 down , then nothing. Not helped by not having a consistently test class spinner. Mason's injury might be a blessing in disguise if Leach gets a game, but I don't think you have too many two-spinner pitches in NZ.Prediction? 1-1 is favourite in the betting, and I can't see past that (weather permitting .)

Hmmm. This might explain why Australia reverse the Kookaburra so much. The live footage looks conclusive.

http://www.sacricketmag.com/bancroft-ca ... mpering-a/

Edit: It's going viral. Steyn and KP have virtually accused Lehmann of being behind it.
https://twitter.com/search?q=sandpapergate&src=typd

Strangely though, they don't seem to have changed the ball.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:51 pm

Smith has admitted it but refused to resign. He will have to though, I think.

I'm uneasy that Lehmann seems to be escaping. Bancroft knew to hide the plastic.He did it shortly after a conversation with the 12th man. The 12th man had gone on the pitch having received a message on a walkie-talkie; by coincidence Lehamnn was talking on one. To me , Lehmann is at least guilty of an attempted cover up.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:56 am

shrewsbury saddler wrote:Smith has admitted it but refused to resign. He will have to though, I think.

I'm uneasy that Lehmann seems to be escaping. Bancroft knew to hide the plastic.He did it shortly after a conversation with the 12th man. The 12th man had gone on the pitch having received a message on a walkie-talkie; by coincidence Lehamnn was talking on one. To me , Lehmann is at least guilty of an attempted cover up.

Shocking behaviour, yet totally unsurprising.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:15 am

shrewsbury saddler wrote:Test series starts in NZ overnight. Starting later than usual. Clearly it's been put back so as not to clash with Deano's first match. (It's a day/nighter, really.)

Perhaps we use the wrong brand of sandpaper? What a shame this so taints their Ashes win also - they would have thrashed us comfortably without the recourse to the dark arts which will forever be linked to their win. The post-match press conference when Smith was hammering Anderson for getting mud out of the ball should be replayed on a loop whenever that barclays emerges. Couldnt happen to a nicer man or team - Smith is dogmeat given the Aussie PM intervening.

Nice to see some fight in the 2nd innings today, though I was very dissapointed to see Stoneman get out. They have a fighting chance of a most undeserved draw given God's rain intervention. I'd like to see some big changes for the 2nd test whatever happens - if Stokes can bowl, I'd like to see an attack of Anderson, Broad or Woakes, Wood and Leach (with Ali as the 2nd spinner).

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:32 am

Is the time getting near for Alastair Cook to hang up his box?

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:13 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Is the time getting near for Alastair Cook to hang up his box?

Not sure there is anyone better in county cricket who represents an improvement :oops:

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:12 am

Not sure England management have the right set up. Other countries with smaller playing pools consistently bring through good players, but England just fall short, especially away from home. At least our captain doesn’t condone organised cheating though.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:51 am

Not just the captain. Lehmann's in it up to his neck. As said above, ironic they probably cheated in the Ashes when there was no need. Sugar in your pocket for energy? Not very hygienic ,is it? As Broad asked, if they had been reversing it so well legitimately, why suddenly change?

The whole things reminds me of the hacking scandal with the tabloids. Nasty snarling bullies appointing themselves as moral arbiters to cover up what they were doing, and intimidating anyone who questioned this. I hope they don't get off as easily as the UK press did.

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:10 pm

shrewsbury saddler wrote: I hope they don't get off as easily as the UK press did.

.................or Atherton did.

I bet he's well peed off all this has occurred.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:43 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Is the time getting near for Alastair Cook to hang up his box?

Cook seriously suffers from "what have you done for me lately" (a bit like our best player coincidentally). He's got two double hundreds in the last year, one against an Australian team armed with the best 4 bowlers in the world and an industrial amount of sandpaper apparently. In that time he averages 40, a lot more than a number of our current line up.

But every time there's a bad team performance it's Cook's name that gets brought up because he's built a reputation for massive innings.

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:09 am

El_Nombre wrote:

Cook seriously suffers from "what have you done for me lately" (a bit like our best player coincidentally). He's got two double hundreds in the last year, one against an Australian team armed with the best 4 bowlers in the world and an industrial amount of sandpaper apparently. In that time he averages 40, a lot more than a number of our current line up.

But every time there's a bad team performance it's Cook's name that gets brought up because he's built a reputation for massive innings.

He’s due an innings. Better be the second innings of this test, after his 2 in the first...

Whitters
Site Addict

Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:46 am

Re the Aussie debacle: I don't know much about cricket, but with 2 umpires present how come they didn't question what was happening to the ball?
Or is that sort of stuff beyond their remit?

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:25 am

Whitters wrote:Re the Aussie debacle: I don't know much about cricket, but with 2 umpires present how come they didn't question what was happening to the ball?

it's within their remit, and that's the way something like this is usually discovered. Initially it can be difficult to distinguish between normal wear and tear and illegal doctoring. Plus in this case, the cameras were already on the look out for it, having been warned by the SA team in the previous test that they were suspicious. Another reason to make me think we're still being lied to about the extent.

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:11 am

shrewsbury saddler wrote:
Whitters wrote:Re the Aussie debacle: I don't know much about cricket, but with 2 umpires present how come they didn't question what was happening to the ball?

it's within their remit, and that's the way something like this is usually discovered. Initially it can be difficult to distinguish between normal wear and tear and illegal doctoring. Plus in this case, the cameras were already on the look out for it, having been warned by the SA team in the previous test that they were suspicious. Another reason to make me think we're still being lied to about the extent.

..which is why Lehman has now ‘fallen on his sword’. As the coach with the most in terms of the Aussie team’s ridiculous persona, he had to go. Glad it was quick. The video evidence of his involvement was overwhelming.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:10 am

Good fight back to hit 300 there, then a great start with the ball, although things appear to have settled down again.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:44 am

Exile wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:

He’s due an innings. Better be the second innings of this test, after his 2 in the first...

He’s still due an innings. Just not this match. If there’s nobody capable of replacing him apparent in county cricket, that means there’s a massive disconnect between the national team and the providers.

PreviousNext
Return to General Chat & Prediction League