Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Dean Smith.

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Dean Smith.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:59 pm

5-0. :mrgreen:

Can see him getting a premier league job in the near future. Doing a very solid job at Brentford and they're playing some excellent football at the moment although seems to be following the Walsall pattern in that they click from Janaury but it's too late to make the top 6.

chunkster
Site Addict

Re: Dean Smith.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:02 pm

I expected him to get the chop ages ago tbh, with their chairman having a trigger finger, but he is obviously doing something right :)

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:06 pm

chunkster wrote:I expected him to get the chop ages ago tbh, with their chairman having a trigger finger, but he is obviously doing something right :)

I think Brentford like the way he's embraced their transfer model of using that stats company to sign players which was a problem with Mark Warburton and another manager they had.

Plus with their size and budget they can't just expect to walk into the top 6 so it needs to be built over time so very much like the job DS was doing at Walsall and obviously should've finished but didn't.

sirrammell

Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:49 am

SoccerHQ wrote:
chunkster wrote:I expected him to get the chop ages ago tbh, with their chairman having a trigger finger, but he is obviously doing something right :)

I think Brentford like the way he's embraced their transfer model of using that stats company to sign players which was a problem with Mark Warburton and another manager they had.

Plus with their size and budget they can't just expect to walk into the top 6 so it needs to be built over time so very much like the job DS was doing at Walsall and obviously should've finished but didn't.

The chairman there also has had a bit of a shift in thinking driven by their new stadium construction. I think he has realised that it needs to be a longer term project to build a club to compete. I've watched Brentford a few times this season, they definitely play in the Smith style..very nice to watch which sometimes leads to a 5-0 win and sometimes leads to disappointing defeats or points thrown away. Chatting to their fans over a beer Dean is very well liked.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:20 am

Can't be the same Dean Smith that was outrageously lambasted for being talentless buffoon with no plan B.

:|

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:09 am

He must be one of the longest serving managers in professional football in continuous employment if you add his time at Walsall and Brentford together.

It is all the more an achievement given the players sold since he has been at the club.

Deano has also stuck with Sawyers despite many Brentford fans slagging him off during his first season. Reading their forum he is now their favourite for player of the season.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:18 am

chestersaddler wrote:He must be one of the longest serving managers in professional football in continuous employment if you add his time at Walsall and Brentford together.

It is all the more an achievement given the players sold since he has been at the club.

Deano has also stuck with Sawyers despite many Brentford fans slagging him off during his first season. Reading their forum he is now their favourite for player of the season.

Lazy though. Another target for the boo-boys. Ridiculous.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:25 am

chestersaddler wrote:He must be one of the longest serving managers in professional football in continuous employment if you add his time at Walsall and Brentford together.

Those who slagged Sawyers off here just dont understand football. Plain and simple. I'd do anything to have Sawyers back now.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:00 pm

scott_powell wrote:

Those who slagged Sawyers off here just dont understand football. Plain and simple. I'd do anything to have Sawyers back now.

It's a running theme with a section of our fanbase. Was thinking this watching Will Grigg score the winner against Man City this week, how he was booed at Stevenage when he cam on as sub when he was just a kid. It's simple, never ever be negative about your own team during a match, it is utterly self defeating.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:22 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:I think Brentford like the way he's embraced their transfer model of using that stats company to sign players which was a problem with Mark Warburton and another manager they had.

It is an absolute myth that Brentford use "moneyball" tactics to dig up unknown rough diamonds though.

Moneyball is about building a team of players using stats, that nobody else sees value in.

Brentford do the absolute opposite, using their financial muscle, they outbid everyone else for lower league talent that absolutely everyone knows and sees the value in. Rico Henry (£1.5m) is a classic example. He was talked about as a Premier League player of the future after about 10 matches for Walsall. The next Ashley Cole wasn't it?

Ryan Woods is reported to have cost them £1m from Shrewsbury, James Tarkowski, Andre Gray, Will Grigg, Moses Odubajo, Scott Hogan and of course Romain Sawyers. The list goes on and on. Brenford hosed multi-millions picking up the well known best players of League 1 and 2. Stats aren't the secret of their success, it's money and lots of it.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:34 pm

aaaae wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:I think Brentford like the way he's embraced their transfer model of using that stats company to sign players which was a problem with Mark Warburton and another manager they had.

It is an absolute myth that Brentford use "moneyball" tactics to dig up unknown rough diamonds though.

Moneyball is about building a team of players using stats, that nobody else sees value in.

Brentford do the absolute opposite, using their financial muscle, they outbid everyone else for lower league talent that absolutely everyone knows and sees the value in. Rico Henry (£1.5m) is a classic example. He was talked about as a Premier League player of the future after about 10 matches for Walsall. The next Ashley Cole wasn't it?

Ryan Woods is reported to have cost them £1m from Shrewsbury, James Tarkowski, Andre Gray, Will Grigg, Moses Odubajo, Scott Hogan and of course Romain Sawyers. The list goes on and on. Brenford hosed multi-millions picking up the well known best players of League 1 and 2. Stats aren't the secret of their success, it's money and lots of it.

They have invested sensibly though. Buy players and sell for a profit then reinvest. I imagine they have a healthy surplus from transfer dealings over the past 4-5 years and are now an established Championship club. A well run club just like ours :D

saddla
Site Addict

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:25 pm

Dean Smith has just signed a contract extension with Brentford until the summer of 2020.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:58 pm

aaaae wrote:

Yeah they do plenty of that. They also sign a lot of foreign players aswell using that system, they sold Jota and Maxin Colin to Blues for 10m. Have a look at their current squad, half of it is foreign.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:02 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
aaaae wrote:

They have invested sensibly though. Buy players and sell for a profit then reinvest. I imagine they have a healthy surplus from transfer dealings over the past 4-5 years and are now an established Championship club. A well run club just like ours :D

Big difference is teams like Brentford and Peterbrough sign these emerging players and then give them 4-5 year deals.

Of course a few don't come off so they then get loaned out until it comes down to the last two years of their deal.

Walsall giving players like Bradshaw, Sawyers and Ozzy two year contracts at the most is never going to result in huge transfer fees. Nothing will come in for Ozzy and Barnsley could bid low for Bradshaw as they knew he didn't have years to run on his deal.

Rico was a little different. He was under long term and while 1.5m isn't massive I think the add ons would make it a good long term deal for Walsall. Problem is he's out with another long term injury so he needs to stay fit to meet some of that criteria.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:31 am

From the BBC website

"Brentford have had 615 shots in league matches this season - 107 more than any other team in the top four tiers of English football."

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:49 am

chestersaddler wrote:From the BBC website

"Brentford have had 615 shots in league matches this season - 107 more than any other team in the top four tiers of English football."

I looked this up when we had a troll who kept saying "Walsall need to shoot more." From what I remember, their shot total was high, but the ratio of shots on target was not so good. Which actually meant they probably needed to shoot less!

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:41 pm

They've stopped winning since he signed his new deal anyway!

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:28 pm

SMITH OUT :D

Return to General Chat & Prediction League