Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Albums of 2018

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
scott_powell
Site Addict

Albums of 2018

Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:41 am

So what are we looking forward to and what has already tickled your fancy?!

Marmozets - Knowing What You Know Now, bloody brilliant album! This song in particular; been stuck in my head for weeks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCJIUBf01Z0

chunkster
Site Addict

Re: Albums of 2018

Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:41 pm

UB40 are releasing a new album :D

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:17 pm

Tribulation - Down Below.

Looking forward to seeing them in the big smoke next week supporting Arch Enemy and Wintersun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvJQGOFltSk

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:36 pm

How about Joe Satriani's new album "What Happens Next?" with a touch of Glenn Hughes and a soupcon of Chad Smith?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XouyzSAXkg

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:57 pm

January is a typically quiet month on the new music front.

Downloaded the new, second album from Barrett Martin & Duff McKagan's new outfit, Walking Papers, earlier in the week. Gave it a runthrough with one ear on it, so need to properly absorb it. Their debut was a bit of a hidden gem, so hopes are high.

Gave Orphaned Land's new one a spin in the car this morning... again, I was only half paying attention (something up with me at present). They're an Israeli progressive-metal-ish band, but with lots of traditional Eastern stylings interspliced. I come back to them whenever they release anything new, but much like with Japanese Anime, I tend to find I like the idea much better than the execution.

Got strong expectations for Manchester proggers Collibus' sophmore album, which is due out in February- debut was generally excellent, just a little rough around the edges. This one has been four years in the making.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:52 am

All about Monkeys of the Polar-ion variety for me this year.

The follow up to AM is either going to be spectacular or a complete flop. Over to you, Mr Turner.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:04 am

El_Nombre wrote:All about Monkeys of the Polar-ion variety for me this year.

The follow up to AM is either going to be spectacular or a complete flop. Over to you, Mr Turner.

Although, for the more obscure taste, a band I stumbled upon at The Hare and Hounds in Kings Heath 3 or 4 years ago at a This is Tmrw presentation, Hookworms, released their third album today. Microshift is a shift (ironically) from their Psychedelic beginning to a more grungy well produced sound. Well worth a listen
Last edited by El_Nombre on Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:05 am

New David Byrne album due this year... cor wait

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:56 am

Hoping there will be a new Black Peaks album this year. For anyone into the heavier Muse stuff and hardcore/punky bands like Every Time I die, you really do need Black Peaks in your life.

Their debut album "Statues" in 2016 was the best album of that year by a country mile. Phenomenal band who a ridiculously tight live. Almost got to support them but the promoter decided my band were "too heavy". Probably right but it was gutting :lol:

addo
UTS Veteran

Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:21 pm

New Editors album out in March - massively looking forward to that .
Really loving the first single from it ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08h4wVssYJM

I was lucky enough to get tickets for the pre-release show at Birmingham Town Hall :)

kshammer
Site Addict

Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:49 pm

First new album of the year for me is Machine Heads Catharsis. Had a lot of stick online, but other than being a bit long its not bad (albeit im biased as a massive MFH fan).

Its not their best album by any means but ain't half bad. Just shows you should ignore the bloody tinterweb and trust your lugholes.

Next on the radar live is While She Sleeps on Tues. Cant wait....

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:04 am

kshammer wrote:First new album of the year for me is Machine Heads Catharsis. Had a lot of stick online, but other than being a bit long its not bad (albeit im biased as a massive MFH fan).

Its not their best album by any means but ain't half bad. Just shows you should ignore the bloody tinterweb and trust your lugholes.

Seen MFH supporting Metallica a few years ago. One of the loudest bands I've seen live (I think Motorhead win that prize - RIP Lemmy). Not got any albums by MFH but "Beyond The Pale" sounds okay. Might check some of their stuff out.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:42 pm

kshammer wrote:First new album of the year for me is Machine Heads Catharsis. Had a lot of stick online, but other than being a bit long its not bad (albeit im biased as a massive MFH fan).

A similarly derided album, I recall really loving The Burning Red during the year of it's release. Listened back a while ago. Um.... yeeeeah. Product of it's time, wasn't it?

kshammer
Site Addict

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:49 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:

Seen MFH supporting Metallica a few years ago. One of the loudest bands I've seen live (I think Motorhead win that prize - RIP Lemmy). Not got any albums by MFH but "Beyond The Pale" sounds okay. Might check some of their stuff out.

If you like metal Manchester, you've got to give em a listen. The Blackening is to my ears as good a metal album as I've ever heard.

They get better and better live too. Seeing em twice in May.

kshammer
Site Addict

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:55 pm

EvenFlow wrote:

A similarly derided album, I recall really loving The Burning Red during the year of it's release. Listened back a while ago. Um.... yeeeeah. Product of it's time, wasn't it?

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the Burning Red, albeit some of the tracks off that album they still play live sound massive. Supercharger was even worse.

Other than that, their back catalogue is quality.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:55 am

As a metal lover I've never got into Machine Head. :(

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:43 pm

scott_powell wrote:As a metal lover I've never got into Machine Head. :(

Still time Scott.... you at WSS tomorrow?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:04 pm

kshammer wrote:
scott_powell wrote:As a metal lover I've never got into Machine Head. :(

Still time Scott.... you at WSS tomorrow?

I'm not unfortunately. I saw them with Architects Saturday night though. Drove down to the Ally Pally after the game. Absolutely fantastic.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:44 pm

kshammer wrote:

If you like metal Manchester, you've got to give em a listen. The Blackening is to my ears as good a metal album as I've ever heard.

I'm more into prog rock and prog metal (Devin Townsend, Dream Theater, Riverside, Steven Wilson etc.) but I will certainly check them out. I've kind of lost touch with pure metal (with the exception of Metallica). I really need to check out Opeth too - I hear nothing but good things about them.

kshammer
Site Addict

Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:23 pm

kshammer wrote:

I'm more into prog rock and prog metal (Devin Townsend, Dream Theater, Riverside, Steven Wilson etc.) but I will certainly check them out. I've kind of lost touch with pure metal (with the exception of Metallica). I really need to check out Opeth too - I hear nothing but good things about them.

Blackwater Park is amazing by Opeth, the more recent stuff is not so good though in my opinion. I'm not a massive prog man but do like Mastodon - they released an album and EP that were mind blowing last year, just frustratingly hit and miss live.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:16 am

Mind blown away tonight. Best gig in ages in Koko Camden.
Tribulation, Wintersun and Arch Enemy . Thick end of four hours of ecstasy.
Only just discovered Wintersun - fudge awesome.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:25 am

scott_powell wrote:Hoping there will be a new Black Peaks album this year. For anyone into the heavier Muse stuff and hardcore/punky bands like Every Time I die, you really do need Black Peaks in your life.

Their debut album "Statues" in 2016 was the best album of that year by a country mile. Phenomenal band who a ridiculously tight live. Almost got to support them but the promoter decided my band were "too heavy". Probably right but it was gutting :lol:

What is the name of your band Scott? I’ll have a listen.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:35 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Hoping there will be a new Black Peaks album this year. For anyone into the heavier Muse stuff and hardcore/punky bands like Every Time I die, you really do need Black Peaks in your life.

We're called Samsara. If you search for Samsara EP on Youtube it'll come up with out most recent stuff. It's pretty dark but all good fun! Also a couple of videos knocking around there too. We've played with some pretty decent bands to be fair. Supported The Faceless last weekend which was decent! Just a shame they were knobheads :lol:

addo
UTS Veteran

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:04 pm

scott_powell wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

We're called Samsara. If you search for Samsara EP on Youtube it'll come up with out most recent stuff. It's pretty dark but all good fun! Also a couple of videos knocking around there too. We've played with some pretty decent bands to be fair. Supported The Faceless last weekend which was decent! Just a shame they were knobheads :lol:

Wow - You look nothing like how I imagined...;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBwTBGVsRKI

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:29 pm

I never expected you to look so good in a dress. Or have I got the wrong performer?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

addo wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Wow - You look nothing like how I imagined...;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBwTBGVsRKI

:lol:

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:48 pm

The shortage of posts in this thread nearly a quarter of the way into the year echoes my thoughts on new music in 2018... it's been a bit of a non-event so far, hasn't it?

Young Fathers' new album "Cocoa Sugar" is about the pick of the bunch so far, although I'm not sure it would stand out in most other years. I'd been anticipating Manchester progressives Collibus' sophomore album, "Trusting The Illusion", for a couple of years; it's solid enough, but pretty safe- no great development leap in their sound or songwriting.

Disappointing all round, to date. Anyone heard anything to get the enthusiasm going?

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:47 pm

I've not heard it yet but I believe that Judas Priest's new album, Firepower, is a bit of a stormer.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:54 am

Rolo Tomassi - Time Will Die and Love Will Bury It

Fantastic. Eva Spence too, her moves live ... Very nice :wink:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:38 am

scott_powell wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

I noticed that you are playing Scruffy Murphy’s in Brum soon (not stalking you, honest :lol: , my lad’s band have just been booked to play there in November so was checking out the venue).
Have you played there before, if so what’s it like?

Next
Return to General Chat & Prediction League