Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Are foriegn managers killing the FA cup

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
sid swifty
Glitterati

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:15 pm

All premier League managers (and quite a lot of championship club managers)are playing weakened teams in the FA cup,they all swear that they're not disrespecting the competition,but in my opinion they are. Thankfully some have fell flat on their faces and been knocked out by teams they have totally underestimated.I'm sure like myself,lots of you will have years and years of memories from the FA,good,bad and indifferent, whereas foreign managers,coaches and owners don't .With all the money in the game the FA are right at the back of the queue behind Sky sports and the big 6 Premier league clubs when it comes to having any influence as to how clubs treat the FA cup.I think that in 10yrs time things will come to a head when Premier league clubs either refuse to enter the competition,play their U21's or it just dies through lack of support. So I say to the FA,come on,grow a pair and take control back of what was the most famous cop competition in the world.

chunkster
Site Addict

Re: Are foriegn managers killing the FA cup

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:34 pm

In walsall fc's case swifty its OUR manager that has ruined ours :lol: but i do understand what you are saying, money and the pressure of tv have ruined the comp, and it is no big deal now when you pull a big club because you end up playing what in effect are their reserves :|

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:35 pm

sid swifty wrote:All premier League managers (and quite a lot of championship club managers)are playing weakened teams in the FA cup,they all swear that they're not disrespecting the competition,but in my opinion they are. Thankfully some have fell flat on their faces and been knocked out by teams they have totally underestimated.I'm sure like myself,lots of you will have years and years of memories from the FA,good,bad and indifferent, whereas foreign managers,coaches and owners don't .With all the money in the game the FA are right at the back of the queue behind Sky sports and the big 6 Premier league clubs when it comes to having any influence as to how clubs treat the FA cup.I think that in 10yrs time things will come to a head when Premier league clubs either refuse to enter the competition,play their U21's or it just dies through lack of support. So I say to the FA,come on,grow a pair and take control back of what was the most famous cop competition in the world.

They haven't fell flat on their faces though. They're not interested in the FA Cup compared to finishing in the top 4/staying in the league, so they're not bothered about exiting an unwanted competition.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:37 pm

What the ... :?:

:lol:

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:12 am

The FA have to take some of the flak for devaluing the cup, too; starting with allowing Man Utd to withdraw one season, but more recently by staging the semi-finals at Wembley, and recent shenanigans in staging the final (one year, it kicked off at 17:15, following a full league programme- absolute nonsense).

Disillusionment with football at the top levels is growing. The indifference in the online musings of long-term supporters is palpable. I work with a former Liverpool fan who has abandoned them to follow Salford City, and know a Wolves supporter who doesn’t bother with them anymore, preferring to take in half a dozen or so games a year on the continent instead. Non-league seems to have its hotspots these days- I understand Dulwich Hamlet have quite the unique set up/matchday experience.

Something I’ve pondered for a little while now (although I immediately accept it will never happen) is the possibility of the majority of the Football League, and National League, performing a reverse-breakaway of sorts. The big fish are gravitating slowly to an NFL set-up (like what the Venkys seemingly thought Blackburn were a part of), so why not leave them to it, and see how quickly their acolytes get bored of them just playing each other, over and over?

Walsall will never play a single minute in the Premier League in my life time, and I can hand-on-heart say I couldn’t care less. If I wanted live vicariously through a “big club”, I would. I think a decent number of football fans, enduring and lapsed, feel similarly. Your clubs that consider themselves top-flight outfits just having a rest (Leeds, Norwich, Villa etc) wouldn’t touch it with a bargepole, but I certainly think there’d be a viable audience over time for say, 60-70 breakaway clubs forming their own league and cup competition. Set a wage cap and a universal ticket price, get on the official-streaming bandwagon in lieu of a TV deal. Smaller divisions meaning no midweek fixtures, and a North/South split, to maximise attendances…. You could do away with this January Transfer Window fiasco and… *gasp*… fewer league fixtures leaves room for a winter break. Divisions 1 & 2, North & South, with Northern and Southern champions crowned, and champions playing each other over two legs in the season finale for the national title. Nobody goes “up” to the Premier- Charlton will never play in the Champions League anyway, so what does it matter? The new league clubs all withdraw from the FA Cup and hold their own knockout competition (having experienced the soulless corporate shell once, is anyone really that bothered if Walsall never play at Wembley again?), which is where the Northern and Southern teams all go into the pot together.

It has come such that I would genuinely be excited by the prospect of this, compared to the status quo.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:25 am

If the FA cared (or really wanted clubs to care) about the cup they would make the league worth 3 champions League places and give the 4th to the FA Cup. But the Premier League is the cash cow. I don't blame clubs for resting players when they have leagues to concentrate on.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:53 am

El_Nombre wrote:If the FA cared (or really wanted clubs to care) about the cup they would make the league worth 3 champions League places and give the 4th to the FA Cup. But the Premier League is the cash cow. I don't blame clubs for resting players when they have leagues to concentrate on.

Yes,you can understand why they do it,but you can also understand how a fan who travels 150 miles for an FA cup game feels totally shortchanged when he /she ends up watching a reserve team game.Then, just to rub salt into the wound,the manager,in the aftermatch interview justifies his decision by saying that his star striker had a slight twinge or it was his chance to to play some squad players.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:57 pm

I'll have to ask ... why foreign managers?

Rather than the English FA and their liquidation of football into a money making and marketing circus?

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:03 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:I'll have to ask ... why foreign managers?

Rather than the English FA and their liquidation of football into a money making and marketing circus?

I have to agree. It's nothing to do with foreign managers - just the FA, who are slowly destroying football for clubs like Walsall.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:08 pm

Once Brexit has been concluded we can return to the FA Cup being a proud and important competition.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:17 pm

tinned wrote:

Once Brexit has been concluded we can return to the FA Cup being a proud and important competition.

:lol: :lol:

The FA are perhaps some of the most useless and self-agrandising plonkers in the entire history of the universe.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:32 pm

tinned wrote:

What the bloody hell are you on about?

The plight of the F A Cup has nothing to do with Brexit. That is a totally desperate stretch!

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:39 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:
tinned wrote:

The plight of the F A Cup has nothing to do with Brexit. That is a totally desperate stretch!

It's been a while since I used one of these ......... but WHOOSH!

You need to lighten up on the Brexit subject Manchester, it's starting to affect your sense of humour :lol:

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:56 pm

:D

To be honest, I thought you must be fishing!

Well done.

:wink:

chunkster
Site Addict

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:27 pm

tinned wrote:
Manchester Saddler wrote:
tinned wrote:

It's been a while since I used one of these ......... but WHOOSH!

You need to lighten up on the Brexit subject Manchester, it's starting to affect your sense of humour :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: classic

yoda
Site Addict

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:25 pm

El_Nombre wrote:If the FA cared (or really wanted clubs to care) about the cup they would make the league worth 3 champions League places and give the 4th to the FA Cup. But the Premier League is the cash cow. I don't blame clubs for resting players when they have leagues to concentrate on.

Am I right in thinking this probably isn't possible/likely because the FA don't run the Premier League? As a private company its not going to give up one of its key attractions.

El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:39 pm

yoda wrote:

Am I right in thinking this probably isn't possible/likely because the FA don't run the Premier League? As a private company its not going to give up one of its key attractions.

True, from The FA's Wikipedia "Although it does not run the day-to-day operations of the Premier League, it has veto power over the appointment of the League Chairman and Chief Executive and over any changes to league rules" but I'm not sure the Premier League would have any say anyway.

It's the UEFA Champions League. as in the Union of European Football Associations. Champions League entry is designated to every FA member depending on coefficient within Europe, not the Premier League as a company. I would imagine, and it is only imagine because I can't find anything that backs this up, that on that basis whoever qualifies, and how, to represent the FA would be decided by the FA themselves. If that is the case, what would the Premier League do about it? I think the deal is sweat enough for the Premier League anyway without them getting the huff about a 4th Champions League slot.

They do the same with the League Cup/Europa League.

yoda
Site Addict

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:08 pm

Its often said the worst thing the FA ever did was support the Premier Leagues breakaway from under its umbrella.

We'd need BangSection to tell us more, but from what I've read I get the impression the FA generally run scared of the Premier League.

Return to General Chat & Prediction League