Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Chesterfield sold

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
Whitters
Site Addict

Chesterfield sold

Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:38 pm

They've "sold" to an Asian/South American consortium - the sale is in progress....

Why not us!!!!
Why are Chesterfield a more attractive buy than us FFS?
I believe the owner wanted £15m.
I presume that by buying the shares of the major shareholders (this gives them 84%) they then own the club and ground.
There's also a debt owed to the owner who financed the ground and recent losses.

From the Derbyshire Times:
A Chesterfield director says a deal to sell the club has been agreed and they’re now waiting on a deposit so the takeover can proceed.
Ashley Carson has told the Derbyshire Times that the change of ownership is now very close to being completed. “We have agreed with a third party, a deal that will secure the purchase of Dave Allen’s, Mike Warner’s and my shares, giving the buyer just over 84 per cent control,” he said.
“We have seen proof of funding and we’re now awaiting a non refundable deposit.
“That’s where we are.” Carson says the potential buyers, rumoured to involve Chinese funding with links to South America, met with club owner Dave Allen, director John Croot and himself three months ago.
And according to the company secretary, the deal to buy the club was struck two weeks ago.
“Dave is doing everything he can to assist in the sale, he’s not being obstructive and wants to leave a legacy so he is taking a hit,” said Carson.
“He’s being very sensible.”
The potential new owners want everything to be finalised within the January transfer window.
Carson said: “They want to get involved with the transfer window but I won’t allow anyone to speak to Jack Lester before the deposit is received.”
Should the takeover not materialise, Carson says the board will need to find new funding, whether from Allen or another source.
“The board will have to look at a different situation where money is very, very tight.
“We have got to hope we can rely on Dave to continue to finance the club, we can’t survive this season without funding from somewhere.”
With the transfer window less than a week away and Lester in desperate need of fresh faces for his squad, Carson says he has met with the manager to discuss January’s possibilities.
“I had a meeting with Jack and have given him a budget which will allow him to bring players in.
“There’s an understanding that players will be expected to leave and that will hopefully happen over the next couple of weeks.”

Read more at: https://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/sport ... -1-8932736

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Re: Chesterfield sold

Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:03 pm

Whitters wrote:Why not us!!!!

Easy - Jeff Bonser doesn't want to sell. That's pretty obvious.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:39 pm

Jeff is playing the long game- wait until every other English league club has been snapped up by overseas consortiums, then we'll command a vastly inflated fee from the richest consortium yet to buy a league club, on account of them having no other available clubs to buy. Supply and demand, ay it?

I notice Barnsley are the latest outfit to be bought by some filthy rich lunatics, too.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:29 pm

Dosen't always guarantee success of course, Northampton were taken over by some Chinese investors in pre season.

Worth a go for Chesterfield though, they've plummeted since making the league one play offs in 2015.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:16 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Whitters wrote:Why not us!!!!

Easy - Jeff Bonser doesn't want to sell. That's pretty obvious.

Proof of that here. The man is talking to looks like a potential buyer but he makes no mention of WFC. Not sure why his companion is calling him Stanley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dPzFUiY-tg

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:21 pm

At least they are aspiring to become something. :wink:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:50 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:At least they are aspiring to become something. :wink:

.. but a little crooked, nevertheless. :wink: :wink: