Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

The Ashes 2017 & NZ 2018

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
El_Nombre
UTS Legend

Re: The Ashes 2017.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:39 pm

Exile wrote:Has Cook done his dash?

I don't really buy it mate. I think it's a bad patch. Wasn't that long ago he scored a mammoth innings against a West Indian attack that we rather struggled with for the rest of the series and he contributed more in the South Africa series than people would have you believe. 88, 69 and three innings just shy of 50. Not bad against one of the best attacks in the world, particularly in early summer English conditions.

32 is no age and he's one innings away from a certain Mr Pieterson looking rather stupid.

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:26 am

200+ run partnership for fifth wicket now.

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:26 am

...and Bairstow gets his ton!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:34 am

Great to see two England batsmen notching up centuries against the old enemy ..... and almost as good is the sight of the leading Australian bowlers' analyses - centuries are fast approaching for the likes of Starc, Hazlewood and Cummins. :D

Don't want to jinx the current pair, but I'm surprised to see that England's all-time record 5th wicket partnership is only 254 - Keith Fletcher and Tony Greig v India in 1973. Malan and Bairstow are currently 231 and counting.......

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:59 am

Knew I'd jinx it ......... :(

And then Moeen goes for a duck :evil:

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:59 am

Jinxed. Doubly so. :oops:

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:20 am

Looks like sub 400, barring a tail wag, which isn't an England specialty...

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:23 am

403. Happy with that. It's a psychological barrier, and gives the bowlers some breathing room...

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:07 am

Always fun to see Warner fail. Now have to do the same to Smith.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:40 am

Exile wrote: Now have to do the same to Smith.

Err. I do feel sorry for the England team. Sorry that this bloody cricket has got in the way of the main purpose of the tour-crawling bars, getting drunk and pouring beer over each other.

Remember in 2005 when cricket went off free-to-air, and we were assured that it was worth it because the extra money would mean the best test team we'd had and loads of trophies? Since then , this looks like being the third of four in Australia to end in a whitewash-oh and there's been one white-ball trophy , a record even West Indies have bettered. Oh yes, when they're at home and it's swinging , they can beat anyone. But they have no pace or spin, and are hopeless when when facing any half-decent example them. All the satellite money has meant is that a bloated , self-serving, complacent ECB has become even more those things.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:48 am

shrewsbury saddler wrote:
Exile wrote: Now have to do the same to Smith.

Err. I do feel sorry for the England team. Sorry that this bloody cricket has got in the way of the main purpose of the tour-crawling bars, getting drunk and pouring beer over each other.

Remember in 2005 when cricket went off free-to-air, and we were assured that it was worth it because the extra money would mean the best test team we'd had and loads of trophies? Since then , this looks like being the third of four in Australia to end in a whitewash-oh and there's been one white-ball trophy , a record even West Indies have bettered. Oh yes, when they're at home and it's swinging , they can beat anyone. But they have no pace or spin, and are hopeless when when facing any half-decent example them. All the satellite money has meant is that a bloated , self-serving, complacent ECB has become even more those things.

Just like the premiershit meant a better England footie team.

Kill me now. This is terrible.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:39 am

259 to make the convicts bat again, a bit of a hint of rain in the forecast.

All over tonight?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:52 am

Exile wrote:259 to make the convicts bat again, a bit of a hint of rain in the forecast.

All over tonight?

Bring on the rain....please...... at 132 for 4 it's the only thing that can save us.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:35 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Exile wrote:259 to make the convicts bat again, a bit of a hint of rain in the forecast.

All over tonight?

Bring on the rain....please...... at 132 for 4 it's the only thing that can save us.

Embarrassing. Bring them home.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:56 am

Four years on from the last capitulation and what's changed. We're nowhere nearer finding a front-line spinner, a reliable pace bowler, batters who can build an innings regularly.There have been awful tours in India and UAE. An obsessive coach has been released by a lazy bullshitter adept at avoiding responsibility. Next May, we'll start thrashing teams who playing in alien conditions, crowds will flock, and everything will be forgotten. I can remember saying on here last time that it needed an investigation not by the ECB, but INTO the ECB. It's as needed now, but no more likely to happen.

I think things will only change when people stop paying the likes of Sky and BT.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:02 pm

shrewsbury saddler wrote:Four years on from the last capitulation and what's changed. We're nowhere nearer finding a front-line spinner, a reliable pace bowler, batters who can build an innings regularly.There have been awful tours in India and UAE. An obsessive coach has been released by a lazy bullshitter adept at avoiding responsibility. Next May, we'll start thrashing teams who playing in alien conditions, crowds will flock, and everything will be forgotten. I can remember saying on here last time that it needed an investigation not by the ECB, but INTO the ECB. It's as needed now, but no more likely to happen.

I think things will only change when people stop paying the likes of Sky and BT.

Sky and BT have a lot to answer for Andy - sadly.

:(

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:19 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:
shrewsbury saddler wrote:Four years on from the last capitulation and what's changed. We're nowhere nearer finding a front-line spinner, a reliable pace bowler, batters who can build an innings regularly.There have been awful tours in India and UAE. An obsessive coach has been released by a lazy bullshitter adept at avoiding responsibility. Next May, we'll start thrashing teams who playing in alien conditions, crowds will flock, and everything will be forgotten. I can remember saying on here last time that it needed an investigation not by the ECB, but INTO the ECB. It's as needed now, but no more likely to happen.

Sky and BT have a lot to answer for Andy - sadly.

:(

I'm not sure how much they are to blame. The ECB took their shilling and have failed to fulfill the promises they gave about achievements with the extra money. Now I suspect, if they see income falling, the commercial broadcasters may be the only ones with influence over the unaccountable shower that is the ECB.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:14 am

All over. I'm glad I didn't shell out any more money to watch this. Not sure how much of England I'll be seeing in the future. There's not much point in watching them roll over the likes of Sri Lanka in May at Durham when they crumple at anything resembling a proper contest.The only question is whether the admin is just incompetent or corrupt as well-and I don't think anyone will be rushing to tell us.

Compare them with Pakistan. In chaos, can't even play at home,a fraction of English income, yet in the past 18 months , they've drawn a series and won a trophy in England i.e. to them, the same sort of alien conditions which cause England to fold.

WSTFC
UTS Regular

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:08 pm

Kevlar wrote:Good start..................toss won.

And this was as good as it got :lol:

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:05 pm

WSTFC wrote:
Kevlar wrote:Good start..................toss won.

And this was as good as it got :lol:

:D......and I think we've won all of 'em.

Been looking at test match stats for "win toss / win match " ratio.

It appears winning the toss is not as important as I thought .

Leaving draws out.........winning the toss gives a 52% to 48% advantage.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:20 pm

As depressing as the past few weeks have been, the same England team would possibly beat the Aussies on seaming English pitches with the Duke ball next summer (and I'd expect the to do the same to India also). Maybe this trend in test cricket is depressing but cest la vie. Home track bullies seems to be the vogue now, Perhaps showing a bit of fragility in test cricket.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:18 am

boringteacher wrote:As depressing as the past few weeks have been, the same England team would possibly beat the Aussies on seaming English pitches with the Duke ball next summer (and I'd expect the to do the same to India also). Maybe this trend in test cricket is depressing but cest la vie. Home track bullies seems to be the vogue now, Perhaps showing a bit of fragility in test cricket.

There is such a trend, but England are far worse in different conditions than the others. Lost last 7 away tests, last 8 and 14 of last 18 in Australia, hopeless in UAE last two visits, and thrashed in India. No major team has been anywhere near as poor in England. They definitely have the resources to be addressing this. I don't much like Bayliss, but I don't think he's mainly to blame. The ECB is just not fit for purpose.

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:17 am

boringteacher wrote:As depressing as the past few weeks have been, the same England team would possibly beat the Aussies on seaming English pitches with the Duke ball next summer (and I'd expect the to do the same to India also). Maybe this trend in test cricket is depressing but cest la vie. Home track bullies seems to be the vogue now, Perhaps showing a bit of fragility in test cricket.

There is such a trend, but England are far worse in different conditions than the others. Lost last 7 away tests, last 8 and 14 of last 18 in Australia, hopeless in UAE last two visits, and thrashed in India. No major team has been anywhere near as poor in England. They definitely have the resources to be addressing this. I don't much like Bayliss, but I don't think he's mainly to blame. The ECB is just not fit for purpose.

Agree, but while they're profitable, they don't care. Like a lot of Thatcher's Britain, it's all about the money, not the result.

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:43 pm

Exile wrote:

Agree, but while they're profitable, they don't care. Like a lot of Thatcher's Britain, it's all about the money, not the result.

As I said above, the broadcasters might be the most influential. If people stop paying them to watch England, they'll take action.

PT
Site Addict

Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:48 am

This one hasn't started great!

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:14 am

Boring pitch. Another defeat if the staff manage to do some 'maintenance' at appropriate times. Heck, probably another defeat anyway, but at least Anderson has provided some entertainment.

PT
Site Addict

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:42 am

This test has a worryingly familiar air.

Every time it looks like we are going to get right on top of them we conspire to shoot ourselves in the foot.

After being so watchful yesterday, Root's dismissal was gross negligence on his part. We've had two LBW's that weren't LBWs but we didn't review and Bairstow made a poor choice.

As I type we are 26 behind with five wickets in hand with Moeen playing like it's a 20/20. To win, we probably need a first innings lead of at least 150. I think it will be more like 75. Leaving them ample time to build enough of a lead to give us a very squeaky day five.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:33 am

England have a first innings lead!

it'll be like Walsall going 1-up in the 44th minute. We'll lose Bakayoko and Ozzie to injury and conspire to concede two before full time. :D

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:06 am

Doesn't alter what I said about dismal away form, and the ECB's culpability, but credit where it's due. I thought they were in irreversible meltdown. Just shows what could have been done if the senior players had performed earlier, especially if they'd kept their quicks bowling for longer in the early tests. This Australia team are nothing special.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:31 pm

Woke up at 5.20 to see that it rains in convict land too :twisted:

Probably a draw, but if they can get both Smith and Warner before lunch, anything could happen. Late night tonight methinks

PreviousNext
Return to General Chat & Prediction League