Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Prediction League 1: 2016-17 Intro & Latest Table

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Prediction League 1: 2016-17 Intro & Latest Table

Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:22 pm

Jolly could stop predicting now and probably still win. All to play for on the podium with him though. :D

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:09 am

Jolly Johnny wrote:Image

Gorra be quite happy with that, in the mix at the business end of the season, as usual. :D

Pretty confident of kicking on and grasping what's on offer, [url]as usual[/url] in these circumstances, if only due to the fact that I'm due some luck having been absolutely cack on by ill fortune throughout the year. STILL no 4+ point weeks! :D

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:18 am

Thoughts must be harder,
heart braver,
courage the greater,
as our strength grows less

Britwold, Battle of Maldon, 991AD

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:53 am

Updated table after the midweek p-p games that were played. All of them are now cleared for predictors and there were a few points given out, hence the slight movement in the table.

Week 41 is up and running ready for this Saturday, so get your predictions in!

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:34 am

I'd have had an extra point if that game had been played when it should have been. Settling for one is only made bearable by the second place ranking it gives me, the best I can hope for since Jolly fixed the table. :mrgreen:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:15 am

Nice to see ME and MY predictions yielding the choice crop of prediction fortune and GROWTH. :D

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:55 pm

Updated table after last weekend. Generally much better scoring than the last couple of weeks and the winner, with 5 points, was canadiansaddler- well done!

Week 42 is up and running and week 43 for the Easter Monday games will be done in the next couple of days too.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:34 pm

Jolly Johnny wrote:Image

YYYEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:12 pm

I'm letting you have a taste of glory before I cruelly destroy your delusions of grandeur.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:13 pm

Well, that wasn't the best of results, some predictors selfishly picking the Coventry result and luckily getting the Scunthorpe result correct.
Absolute bloody nonsense.

:(

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:29 am

From the sublime to the ridiculous and back to the sublime.

:D :( :D

Phew! Little bit of pressure works every time! 8)

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:39 pm

Updated table after week 42 (Easter weekend). Pretty good scoring and the winning score was 4 points, achieved by saddla and me!! Well done to both of us! :D

More updated tables on the way as we head to the final week of the prediction league!

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:54 pm

Table after the Easter Monday games (week 43). Slightly lower scoring and only one blob but the winning score was still 4 points - achieved by The Bosted Slab - well done!

The 'Champions League places' are hotting up and it is a very close run thing in the top 10 places! Keep going to the end!

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:46 pm

Updated table after yesterday's games (week 44 - penultimate week!)
There was generally good scoring with only 1 blob and the winning score was the oh so often 4 points - this week achieved by Saigon Saddler and me! Well done to us both!

With 1 week to go, although the title has long since been decided (! :wink: ) there is still so much to play for at the top end of the table for one of those coveted 'Champions League spots'! Not to mention pride is at stake, as well as some bragging rights between certain predictors! So, I expect everyone will put their best efforts in to the final week of the 2016-17 Prediction League with next weekend's games.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:46 am

Having clawed my way through the morass and seeming quite secure in my position, a disastrous Monday set me back. It's fair to say I felt upset and confused. How had this happened?

After sleepless nights and moping around during the day, I determined to think carefully about the next week and do the best I could. 3 away wins seemed unlikely, so I opted for a Bradford home win, and 2 likely away results. I followed the results on the BBC videprinter whilst playing with myself - actually Civ4, I was playing against the computer. It's a great game - heartily recommended.

I was absolutely delighted when Oxford began winning against Millwall, slightly less so at the Bury scoreline - why had so many picked this? Still nothing from my games. But then Bradford scored! Then Scunthorpe! Great news. Both teams then went 2-0 up, but so did Bury, meaning while I would get points, some others would get correct scores. Worrying times!

Bolton winning late on. I was looking at 3 points which is always pretty decent, but I needed some other results to change.

Thankfully, in the final 10 minutes, everything seemed to slot into place, Bradford and Bury went 3-0 up, denying vital points for competitors, and Swindon got a goal back. I was on for 4 points, my first this season and I felt BRILLIANT. I nervously watched the time tick past, another goal for Scunthorpe or worse, Swindon would be horrific. The Bolton game seemed to go on forever. Final scores!

Now, I feel HAPPY again. EXCEEDING PLEASED with myself, like a large Mr Kipling cake with extra helpings of JOY. I gleefully calculated the results and the table, something JJ has confirmed. Looks like I'll finish 2nd again, which is GREAT, considering there hasn't been a hope of 1st for months. I have to be satisfied with that, with just 2 weekly wins (shared) and only a single 4 point haul ALL SEASON.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:23 am

On,y Saigon could skite on that long about being second. Runner-up is first loser...

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:52 am

Exile wrote:On,y Saigon could skite on that long about being second. Runner-up is first loser...

Yes, but it's the only preferable option that remains on offer, and second does retain something of a SILVER lining. :D

Congrats on your joint nth tho! :P :wink:

saddla
Site Addict

Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:45 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:On,y Saigon could skite on that long about being second. Runner-up is first loser...

Yes, but it's the only preferable option that remains on offer, and second does retain something of a SILVER lining. :D

cough... ahem... Here I was thinking that the season finished after week 45. I hadn't realized that the medals were handed out after week 44. Or just maybe Miss Saigon is jumping the gun a little?

I just checked the table and while indeed JJ is to be applauded for his memorable feat in temporarily claiming my title. The silver medal position is far from settled. There are a mere 2 points separating me from that particular accolade and I mean to make sure that I claim my rightful reward. :mrgreen:

I trust that any copying of my predictions in order to prevent me achieving the silver medal position will be regarded as cheating and given an appropriate points deduction by the administration.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:27 am

saddla wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

cough... ahem... Here I was thinking that the season finished after week 45. I hadn't realized that the medals were handed out after week 44. Or just maybe Miss Saigon is jumping the gun a little?

I just checked the table and while indeed JJ is to be applauded for his memorable feat in temporarily claiming my title. The silver medal position is far from settled. There are a mere 2 points separating me from that particular accolade and I mean to make sure that I claim my rightful reward. :mrgreen:

I trust that any copying of my predictions in order to prevent me achieving the silver medal position will be regarded as cheating and given an appropriate points deduction by the administration.

Dear, dear Saddla, :)

I have noted your impressive rise up the table and a creditable title defence in the end, we've both clawed our way through the stinking horde, although we are both merely rats scrabbling over the bones dropped from the captain's table. I dunno what's happened this season, but JJ has simply atomised it with the biggest winning margin known to mankind. :|

The only thing left is to battle hard for 2nd place, and take some pride in that. Normally, I wouldn't be so confident, but I first looked at the final fixtures about 3 weeks ago and thought that there were some pretty clear choices. That's why I was so mortified with the awful run of Monday's results, I was painfully aware how important the penultimate week was. Fortunately, the fickle mistress of chance smiled on me for once and gave me a quick flash of her tits. :D

The upshot is, if anyone gets the X amount of points they need to get into whatever position, then good luck to them. In terms of second though, forget it. I'm there now and I've never lost any kind of position on the last day. Never*

* well, apart from when I finished 17th, but I don't want to go into that. That entire season was an aberration and disgrace from beginning to end.

Best wishes and regards,
Gloaty McGloatface. :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:10 am

I sincerely hope that if there is any form of god, they will allow my first six-pointer this weekend whilst granting you nothing, nothing at all, just so that I can post you my wiped toilet paper for you to scrunch up your nose.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:19 am

Exile wrote:I sincerely hope that if there is any form of god, they will allow my first six-pointer this weekend whilst granting you nothing, nothing at all, just so that I can post you my wiped toilet paper for you to scrunch up your nose.

:D :D :D

There is no god. Just the agonising reality of prediction league points ...

Speaking of god, I was reminded of a couple of classic Stalinisms:

The Pope! How many divisions has he got ?

And this ...

It is enough that the people know there was an election.
The people who cast the votes decide nothing.
The people who count the votes decide everything.

:D :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:04 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:I sincerely hope that if there is any form of god, they will allow my first six-pointer this weekend whilst granting you nothing, nothing at all, just so that I can post you my wiped toilet paper for you to scrunch up your nose.

:D :D :D

There is no god. Just the agonising reality of prediction league points ...

Speaking of god, I was reminded of a couple of classic Stalinisms:

The Pope! How many divisions has he got ?

And this ...

It is enough that the people know there was an election.
The people who cast the votes decide nothing.
The people who count the votes decide everything.

:D :wink:

With subversion such as that I trust Jolly Johnny will kick you out of this competition for bringing his stewardship into disrepute. On the other hand, you're saying the outcome is out of both our hands... :D

saddla
Site Addict

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:19 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
saddla wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

I have noted your impressive rise up the table and a creditable title defence in the end, we've both clawed our way through the stinking horde, although we are both merely rats scrabbling over the bones dropped from the captain's table. I dunno what's happened this season, but JJ has simply atomised it with the biggest winning margin known to mankind. :|

The only thing left is to battle hard for 2nd place, and take some pride in that. Normally, I wouldn't be so confident, but I first looked at the final fixtures about 3 weeks ago and thought that there were some pretty clear choices. That's why I was so mortified with the awful run of Monday's results, I was painfully aware how important the penultimate week was. Fortunately, the fickle mistress of chance smiled on me for once and gave me a quick flash of her tits. :D

The upshot is, if anyone gets the X amount of points they need to get into whatever position, then good luck to them. In terms of second though, forget it. I'm there now and I've never lost any kind of position on the last day. Never*

* well, apart from when I finished 17th, but I don't want to go into that. That entire season was an aberration and disgrace from beginning to end.

Best wishes and regards,

Whilst you may have glanced at the league table and fixtures about 3 weeks ago anyone with even a basic knowledge of football will realize that there are many factors that come into play on the final day of the regular season that do not necessarily apply to previous games. Do managers rest their players ahead of the playoffs once they are safely ensconced in those positions? Are teams with meaningless fixtures already "on the beach"? The prediction league with the obvious exception of first place is very much open.

I look forward to your ramblings on why you failed to hold on to your 2nd place on the final day :wink:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:38 am

saddla wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

tits. :D

In terms of second though, forget it.

Whilst you may have glanced at the league table and fixtures about 3 weeks ago anyone with even a basic knowledge of football will realize that there are many factors that come into play on the final day of the regular season that do not necessarily apply to previous games. Do managers rest their players ahead of the playoffs once they are safely ensconced in those positions? Are teams with meaningless fixtures already "on the beach"? The prediction league with the obvious exception of first place is very much open.

I look forward to your ramblings on why you failed to hold on to your 2nd place on the final day :wink:

saddla
Site Addict

Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:08 pm

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:59 pm

It may not be that pretty, but I'm brutally efficient at collecting points. :D

Last edited by SaigonSaddler on Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:50 pm

You're so good at random selection.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:11 am

Welsh wrote:While I'm posting, can I add my sincere thanks to Jolly Johnny for all his time and effort in maintaining the Prediction League? He obviously has the gift of correctly forecasting this season's events, so if he would like to publicise next week's Lottery numbers I would be extremely grateful.

Oh, and at least his outright title win (by a massive country mile) will keep a certain far-Eastern contributor relatively subdued...... :mrgreen:

Subdued!? Unlikey, whatever the outcome! :D

saddla
Site Addict

Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:08 pm

1 point, 1 lousy rotten point behind Saigon. :(

Congratulations JJ on a well deserved Victory.
Congratulations on your second successive 2 nd place Saigon. Getting used to being runner up? :mrgreen:

I'll be back :D

Thanks for all your effort into running the league JJ.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon May 01, 2017 5:30 am

saddla wrote:Congratulations JJ on a well deserved Victory.

Thanks for all your effort into running the league JJ.

*engaging rare and all too brief lucidity mode*

Hear! Hear!

The overarching reality of this season is JJ's complete and utter dominance. I don't think the title was ever in doubt after ridiculously few games. There has never been such a sustained chasm of points in any of the 10 previous seasons. Sincere and profound congratulations from me, and also of course thanks for another faultless administration of the league.

PreviousNext
Return to General Chat & Prediction League