Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Albums of 2017

The place for all general topics not related to the Saddlers, plus the ever-popular Prediction League. Keep it fun.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Re: Albums of 2017

Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:04 pm

I'm a sentimental fool, so I'm sat here with Sun Kil Moon's latest (with an unfathomably long title) on. I hoped against hope that it wouldn't be the sub-Velvet Underground at Cale's most pretentious, spoken-world drawl over repetitive, minimalist rhythm that Kozelek has been farting out for a few years new.... but alas, it is :( .

He's probably spitting feathers that I "need to get over Red House Painters".

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:29 pm

scott_powell wrote:
chunkster wrote:
scott_powell wrote:While She Sleeps - 'You Are We' will be a fantastic album. A band who never disappoint with their unique brand of metal punk. 21st April needs to hurry!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH6tqXQNWUA
OMG you into that scott? a bit like slipknot :lol:

I'm into some pretty heavy stuff! While She Sleeps are relatively tame and melodic for me! :lol: I do love myself a bit of Slipknot though.
My mate at work is always listening to them,mixed in with a bit of metallica/anthrax/megadeath and slayer :lol: some of the titles of the songs are a bit on the juicy side as well :shock: now i don't mind a bit of green day mixed in with a bit of the Keizer chiefs and the frattellis :D

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:58 pm

scott_powell wrote:While She Sleeps - 'You Are We' will be a fantastic album. A band who never disappoint with their unique brand of metal punk. 21st April needs to hurry!

Got my tickets for While She Sleeps in Brum in May.

Great band.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:55 pm

kshammer wrote:

Got my tickets for While She Sleeps in Brum in May.

Great band.

Me too, remember being at their first ever headline tour because my mates band were supporting, great even back then!

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:04 am

Well i was off to see foreigner at the dinglehampton civic in november but they seem to have cancelled the dates now? :(

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:57 pm

chunkster wrote:Well i was off to see foreigner at the dinglehampton civic in november but they seem to have cancelled the dates now? :(

Bloody Foreigner. Coming over here, wanting to know what love is, and expecting us to show them.

Did you catch the cost of those tickets, Chunkster? Enough to bring to a tear to a glass eye! I refused to go to see Dream Theater last time they came round, because of similar prices at the Civic.

Been spinning "Nightmare Logic" by Power Trip a fair bit this week. Might be one for Scott- very progressive song structures, but with raw, NYHC-influenced riffs abounding.

For anyone else who still follows the fortunes of the legendary Sub Pop label... one of their two more prominent acts, Pissed Jeans, have had a new LP out for a couple of weeks now, which I'm hoping to finally cast a first ear over this weekend.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:58 pm

Never thought I'd say this ... but ... Even as a metal head .. I'm really liking Stormzy's new album.

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:36 pm

EvenFlow wrote:
chunkster wrote:Well i was off to see foreigner at the dinglehampton civic in november but they seem to have cancelled the dates now? :(

Bloody Foreigner. Coming over here, wanting to know what love is, and expecting us to show them.

Did you catch the cost of those tickets, Chunkster? Enough to bring to a tear to a glass eye! I refused to go to see Dream Theater last time they came round, because of similar prices at the Civic.

Been spinning "Nightmare Logic" by Power Trip a fair bit this week. Might be one for Scott- very progressive song structures, but with raw, NYHC-influenced riffs abounding.

For anyone else who still follows the fortunes of the legendary Sub Pop label... one of their two more prominent acts, Pissed Jeans, have had a new LP out for a couple of weeks now, which I'm hoping to finally cast a first ear over this weekend.
Ye it is a bit eye watering :o mind you i paid about £280 for me and the wife to go to "LETS ROCK BIRMINGHAM" last year in the VIP area, it was worth it though not to get soaked and the boggs where better :mrgreen:

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:35 am

Recently stumbled across The Drums and like what i hear. It's like the sound of Scotland's Postcard Records back in the 80s (Josef K / Orange Juice) mixed with other indie influences. Surprised to discover they're American.

Fourth album, "Abysmal Thoughts" is out in June. One on my list to get.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:08 pm

To fans of death metal/Deathcore .... my band are playing at Metal To The Masses tonight with the chance to play Bloodstock! £4 on the door at The Roadhouse in brum ... let's see some saddlers there!!! :D

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:00 am

scott_powell wrote:To fans of death metal/Deathcore .... my band are playing at Metal To The Masses tonight with the chance to play Bloodstock! £4 on the door at The Roadhouse in brum ... let's see some saddlers there!!! :D

[post moderated]

[user was suspended for 24 hours for this post - mod]

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:37 pm

swampysaddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:To fans of death metal/Deathcore .... my band are playing at Metal To The Masses tonight with the chance to play Bloodstock! £4 on the door at The Roadhouse in brum ... let's see some saddlers there!!! :D

[post moderated]

I want to know what was said! :lol:

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:54 am

scott_powell wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:

[post moderated]

I want to know what was said! :lol:

It went along the lines of 'ABUSE! ABUSE!'

vorny

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:44 pm

scott_powell wrote:Never thought I'd say this ... but ... Even as a metal head .. I'm really liking Stormzy's new album.

Stormzy's new album and the new Wiley album, Godfather are my faves at the moment. Good mix of the old and the new on the scene :D

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:07 pm

Depeche Mode's latest, 'Spirit', is depressingly dark.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:00 pm

Exile wrote:Depeche Mode's latest, 'Spirit', is depressingly dark.

On my third listen so far today. Getting better each time.

DM have been fabulously dark since album #3, Construction Time Again, scarily 34 years ago. Coincidentally this is the most political album since that one lyrically. Check out Scum, Poor man and The worst crime. Plus Where's the revolution.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:07 am

EvenFlow wrote:

nd.

That made me literally laugh out loud.

Don't know if your familiar with Stewart Lee's "UKIP's Paul Nuttall(s)" routine - from before we'd ever hear of Paul Nuttall, but I had the voice of Stewart Lee doing that routine when I read this.

Nice one.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:23 pm

I don't buy albums anymore and really prefer the NWOBHM era rather than todays style of Heavy Metal. Anyway, my mate burnt me a new CD by Tragedy, an American metal tribute act to the Bee-Gees (honestly!). The album is called 'The Joy of Sex' and they have produced a number of unlikely versions of well known pop songs - and I really do mean pop songs.

This is their version of 'Stayin Alive' from the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZsTPLSm2co

The best song on the album is a rendition of 'Funkytown' - originally by Lipps Inc.

They also do Rick Astley's 'Never gonna give you up'. :o

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:56 pm

scott_powell wrote:
chunkster wrote:

OMG you into that scott? a bit like slipknot :lol:

I'm into some pretty heavy stuff! While She Sleeps are relatively tame and melodic for me! :lol: I do love myself a bit of Slipknot though.

If you like that sort of stuff this is my wife's cousins sons band, Bleed Again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tObTbHI6qg4

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:18 am

Steps will have a new album out soon !!!!!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:05 am

Surprised this thread hasn't tempted Manchester or Crimson yet.

Just chanced across some Alphaville classics. Not necessarily new, but unheard by me before. Let's hear it for some German Synth pop! :D

saddla
Site Addict

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:24 am

Some of you youngsters need to hear some real guitar greats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jxsnIRpy2E

question: How well do you play guitar?
answer: Eric Clapton plays rhythm for me.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:01 am

saddla wrote:Some of you youngsters need to hear some real guitar greats:

I'm sorry but you have to dig a hell of a lot deeper to find genuine guitar greats ... One being Ben Tovey. An effortless guitarist who puts Clapton to shame. His solo at 3.15 is mesmerising

https://youtu.be/axa5amu2bp0

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:10 am

Also the late Tom Searle. A forward thinking, technical guitar genius who wrote some of the best songs in modern day metal.

saddla
Site Addict

Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:01 pm

scott_powell wrote:

I'm sorry but you have to dig a hell of a lot deeper to find genuine guitar greats ... One being Ben Tovey. An effortless guitarist who puts Clapton to shame. His solo at 3.15 is mesmerising

I was suggesting you listen to Mark Knopfler not Clapton who is the support in this clip.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:06 am

saddla wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

I was suggesting you listen to Mark Knopfler not Clapton who is the support in this clip.

Regardless, not in the same league as more underground guitarists.

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:40 pm

Nothing worse than best guitarist discussions especially when they begin by trying to claim older are better, or that younger music fans are somehow less informed.

I go to loads of gigs, old and new artists, and no one musician can be held up as better than all others.

Back on topic, new Mastodon this year. Heard bits but hope its better than the last two. Also hoping for a few new SOAD songs before Download.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:22 am

kshammer wrote:Nothing worse than best guitarist discussions especially when they begin by trying to claim older are better, or that younger music fans are somehow less informed.

I go to loads of gigs, old and new artists, and no one musician can be held up as better than all others.

Back on topic, new Mastodon this year. Heard bits but hope its better than the last two. Also hoping for a few new SOAD songs before Download.

Yep, bugs the hell out of me. I go to gigs all the time and have been in bands since 2009 (Currently in a deathcore band) so I feel I have a pretty good understanding. I listen to everything from Stormzy to Infant Annihilator, from WHAM to Metallica, so I have a wide range of tastes from different era's (mainly listen to newer metal/punk/hardcore though).

What absolutely infuriates me is how (usually) older listeners of music refuse to listen to anything out of their comfort zone and pass anything new or different off as rubbish. Music has progressed so quickly in terms of technicality and people like Saddla refuse to acknowledge those bands/artists. This elitist approach stumps the growth of so many superb bands. Needs to stop. There are better guitarists around now in terms of technicality, that's just progression. Both old and new bands are great though!

saddla
Site Addict

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:30 pm

Most people go through a phase at some point where they listen to music they think makes them seem cool rather than music they like to listen to. Then they grow up.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:45 pm

saddla wrote:Most people go through a phase at some point where they listen to music they think makes them seem cool rather than music they like to listen to. Then they grow up.

What are you trying to say ...? Your tastes are more mature than mine? I only listen to a certain style of music in an attempt to look "cool"? If so you are a very sad man.

PreviousNext
Return to General Chat & Prediction League