Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bolton Wanderers (A) Feb 11th 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2016-17 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Bolton Wanderers (A) Feb 11th 3pm

Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:43 pm

Off to the Macron stadium in deepest Lancashire for our return League One fixture against the Trotters, who appropriately enough have a player called Trotter on their books - but not related to Del Boy and Rodney......I mentioned on a previous thread that certain games bring teams together where one is looking for a sporting "revenge" following an unexpected reverse, and Bolton Wanderers certainly fit that category following our 10-man win back in September. They had started the season with a 7 game unbeaten run which manager Phil Parkinson described as "pleasing", and they came to the Banks's 2 points clear at the top of the League One table. It has to be said that it's gone a bit pear-shaped for them recently though, and although they comfortably occupy 3rd place in the table they're well off the pace for automatic promotion being 7 points behind Scunthorpe United and 9 behind Sheffield United. Recent League One form:

26 Dec Shrewsbury Town (H) Won 2-1
31 Dec Scunthorpe United (H) Won 2-1
2 Jan Coventry City (A) Drew 2-2
14 Jan Swindon Town (H) Lost 1-2
28 Jan Charlton Athletic (H) Lost 1-2
4 Feb M K Dons (A) Drew 1-1

Bolton have been active in the transfer market during the January window, signing winger Filipe Morais from Bradford City, striker Adam Le Fondre from Cardiff City, striker Chris Long from Burnley, and winger Viv Solomon-Otabor from Birmingham City. Captain Darren Pratley is still a long-term injury, and is likely to miss the rest of the season following a leg fracture and ankle ligament damage back in August.

Interestingly, we have scored more League One goals than Bolton Wanderers (by one....and OK we have played 2 more games) and their strength appears to be centred around a very tight defence with only 22 goals conceded in their 28 games. Our defence has had most of the pre-Christmas leaks plugged, and this could be quite a close encounter. Jon Whitney doesn't seem to have any serious problems with injuries in his squad - not even with the likes of Osbourne or Cuvelier - and he could easily start this match with much the same XI as seen recently. He may decide to rest Bakayoko, keeping him as an impact sub - who knows? - but the one player he really can't overlook is our goalscorer in that 1-0 home win, Jason McCarthy.

I'm probably being a little optimistic, but I would certainly be happy with a point from this one... say 1-1 with our Turkish Messi on target.

UTS

coop63
Glitterati

Re: Bolton Wanderers (A) Feb 11th 3pm

Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:18 pm

Cheers Welsh

I think we were all surprised and delighted by the result at our place against the trotters and they have certainly gone off the boil since then.

Personally I'm convinced they'll do a Wigan and buy their way out of the division along with the blades but hopefully we can put a small spanner in the works with another stubborn defensive performance linked to a Bako and Ozzie double in a 1-2 result!! Can't believe I'm being this optimistic!!!!

Unfortunately can't make it this weekend but hopefully a good turnout from the super Saddlers - UTS

scott_powell
Site Addict

Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:40 am

Would take a draw but think we'll sneak it with a goal from Bakayoko

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:42 pm

Would take a draw but with them losing last 2 home games fear the worst they will be going all out to stop that run.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:51 pm

reedswood sadler wrote:Would take a draw but with them losing last 2 home games fear the worst they will be going all out to stop that run.

My Bolton season ticket holder friend, (who incidentally, has to miss the match for the same family gathering as myself), tells me they are not playing with confidence lately, and, having lost their talisman 'up and coming youngster' Clough, who tended to score most of their goals, they are not expecting to be automatic promotion candidates any longer, (hope this is not just fool the oppo talk eh?).

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:12 pm

Sounds legit.

They have acquited Adam Le Fondre though as a replacement who if he can be bothered can score a decent amount in this league.

I fear they'll sneak it 2-1.

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:25 am

I love this league.

Their home fans have seen them beat Scunthorpe, then lose to Swindon and Charlton. Hopefully it's a sign of all their January signings upsetting any rhythm they had rather than adding something different to the side. They've some good players, as they should have, but there's still all the off-field he said she said fall out crap which is a distraction.

Neither side is as good as it thinks, but fortune has been favouring the brave as of late. Hoping they try so hard to revenge their defeat at the Banks's that we can catch them out. Mind at £23 I'm not going to be there to find out.

UTS

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:02 am

Barren Flak wrote:I love this league.

Their home fans have seen them beat Scunthorpe, then lose to Swindon and Charlton. Hopefully it's a sign of all their January signings upsetting any rhythm they had rather than adding something different to the side. They've some good players, as they should have, but there's still all the off-field he said she said fall out crap which is a distraction.

Neither side is as good as it thinks, but fortune has been favouring the brave as of late. Hoping they try so hard to revenge their defeat at the Banks's that we can catch them out. Mind at £23 I'm not going to be there to find out.

UTS

Yeah prices do tend to fluctuate wildly, whilst as an old fart I got in at Bury for £12, Fleetwood ask £17! That's a couple of pints after all! So sorry I can't make this fixture, I could walk there!! Knowing my lads are at the Reebok (or whatever they have to call it now) and having to drive in the opposite direction..........soooo frustrating, a bit like when I got my first job, living in Palfrey (virtually opposite Fellows Park) but selling carpets at the co op, and having to work Saturdays!!! AAAAhhhhh.

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:57 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:

UTS

Yeah prices do tend to fluctuate wildly, whilst as an old fart I got in at Bury for £12, Fleetwood ask £17! That's a couple of pints after all! So sorry I can't make this fixture, I could walk there!! Knowing my lads are at the Reebok (or whatever they have to call it now) and having to drive in the opposite direction..........soooo frustrating, a bit like when I got my first job, living in Palfrey (virtually opposite Fellows Park) but selling carpets at the co op, and having to work Saturdays!!! AAAAhhhhh.

I was impressed with Bury. It was only £18 even if you didn't get a concession. The view is decent and the facilities are all you need. Friendly stewards too. Can't see Bolton offering anything different for their extra £5 or 28% hike. Apparently it's a maaaahoooosive £7 to park.

I'd travel a lot more if it was £20 or less on the day.

Gripper
Glitterati

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:04 pm

Can't see us getting anything even with a spring in our step.

1-1 draw at best.

bangsection
Site Addict

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:31 pm

Bolton are this season's League One financial basket case. Losing £11m a season and with two major shareholders about to engage in expensive legal action against each other. One (Ken Anderson) has injected £3.5m into the club while at the same time taking, er, £3.5m out, and the other (Dean Holdsworth) borrowed £5m to buy the club at an eye-watering interest rate of 30% PA. Ouch.

There are genuine concerns that they might go bust before the end of the season, but the sale of Clough might just about keep them going. What's clear is that they simply don't have the means to pay their £10m wage bill. And if they do manage to finish in the top 6 how is that fair on well-run clubs like Rochdale who might miss out?

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:23 pm

Barren Flak wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

UTS

I was impressed with Bury. It was only £18 even if you didn't get a concession. The view is decent and the facilities are all you need. Friendly stewards too. Can't see Bolton offering anything different for their extra £5 or 28% hike. Apparently it's a maaaahoooosive £7 to park.

Considering we charge away fans £22 on the day , I don't think we have room to complain.

saddlerphil
UTS Veteran

Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:12 pm

Difficult game to predict??
I'll go for 2-2.

12,894 (280 hardy souls)

Bolton
Michael 'One Cap' Ricketts
Dean Holden

Walsall
Bryan Small
David Holdsworth

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:09 pm

The Saddlers to inflict a third successive 2-1 home defeat on The Trotters :) with goal machines Oztumer and McCarthy scoring for us in front of 12,469, including 731 Saddlers.

Anyone remember when we lost 8-1 to this lot at Burnden Park?

UTS Legend

Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:25 pm

BathSaddler wrote:The Saddlers to inflict a third successive 2-1 home defeat on The Trotters :) with goal machines Oztumer and McCarthy scoring for us in front of 12,469, including 731 Saddlers.

Certainly do. Hopefully there is no chance of a repeat.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:56 pm

I would be happy with a draw. I think I would start with Jackson tomorrow, with Bakayoko as sub. Keiron Morris to come off the bench to nick a point.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:40 pm

BathSaddler wrote:The Saddlers to inflict a third successive 2-1 home defeat on The Trotters :) with goal machines Oztumer and McCarthy scoring for us in front of 12,469, including 731 Saddlers.

Certainly do, their pitch was raised up quite a few feet, so that a fall from the pitch side could break limbs, the match was such an embarrassment, remember their defence standing aside so that we could walk in a consolation at the end? It's a supermarket now....sound familiar? About to happen at Scunny too, so I'm told, so the Bezza will be the only gold plated breezeblock erection left! :wink:

Hope your prediction comes true Bath!! :D :D :D

That City in Poland

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:20 pm

In the tune of the proclaimers:

At the banks's
Well I know I'm gonna see
I'm gonna see that man called Jason Mcarthy
And when we're away
Well I know I'm gonna see
I'm gonna see that man called Jason McCarthy

Because he will run 500 miles
And he will run 500 more
Just to be that man that ran 1000 miles to close down your back 4

(Cue madness)

Da-d da da
Da-d da da
Da d-da d-da d-da da da

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:01 am

Going for 2-2, the Saddlers coming back to secure a point!

cookyskid
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:11 am

Remember it well. To cap it all when I got back to the car I had a parking ticket. Great goal from Lee Sinnott though.

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:22 am

Mazza01 wrote:
Barren Flak wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

UTS

Considering we charge away fans £22 on the day , I don't think we have room to complain.

That's a fair point, but us fans don't set the prices and I'd like us to reduce away pricing too, or at least see a collective effort by the league for fairer prices at all grounds. We effectively charge unrestricted view upper/middle tier prices for lower tier stanchion obstructed views. Away fans are getting less for their money. Northampton fans should have also got danger money for the penalty at their end last week ;-)

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:34 am

bangsection wrote:Bolton are this season's League One financial basket case. Losing £11m a season and with two major shareholders about to engage in expensive legal action against each other. One (Ken Anderson) has injected £3.5m into the club while at the same time taking, er, £3.5m out, and the other (Dean Holdsworth) borrowed £5m to buy the club at an eye-watering interest rate of 30% PA. Ouch.

There are genuine concerns that they might go bust before the end of the season, but the sale of Clough might just about keep them going. What's clear is that they simply don't have the means to pay their £10m wage bill. And if they do manage to finish in the top 6 how is that fair on well-run clubs like Rochdale who might miss out?

That's crazy, losing more a year than their entire wage bill? And it isn't fair, no. It never will be. It's largely down to the freedom of clubs to how they operate. Thus we are reliant on egotistical power hungry characters, often with a complete lack of morale fibre or long term interest, choosing to play fair. I was thinking the other day, Rochdale - as far as I understand - are the only club in the top 6 contenders whom operate on a non-orchestrated small loss/profit basis. Basically no massive benefactor and operating to their income. All the others have wage bills way in excess of, or as a very high proportion of, their 'normal' football income means. They either operate a high risk policy, or have bail out mechanism, or not as the case may turn out to be with the Trotters. The German ownership model is something we should be yearning for in this country, as well as other German models, like Heidi Klum.

dobbster71
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:02 pm

30% interest?!?! Did Holden borrow the cash from a local loan-shark??? Would have thought that bankruptcy is nailed-on for them if they don't get promoted this season.

Anyway, nothing for us to worry about.
I predict an exciting 0-0 draw today & hoping for a Makris hat-trick (of minutes on the pitch)....

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:25 pm

Starting line-up against Bolton Wanderers:

Etheridge

Preston
O'Connor
O'Connell
McCarthy

Cuvelier
Chambers
Osbourne
Edwards

Oztumer

Bakayoko

Substitutes: MacGillivray, Laird, Dobson, Jackson, Morris, Randall-Hurren, Moussa

Makris injured, or out on loan somewhere??? :?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:26 pm

dobbster71 wrote:
I predict an exciting 0-0 draw today & hoping for a Makris hat-trick (of minutes on the pitch)....

No chance - he's not even on the bench today..... :?

dobbster71
UTS Veteran

Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:40 pm

Must be injured then. Notice that he wasn't in the development squad this week either.....

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:04 pm

Trotters 0 Saddlers 1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 4 minutes :D :D :D :D :D :D Erhun Oztumer

UTS Legend

Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:07 pm

Barren Flak wrote:
bangsection wrote:Bolton are this season's League One financial basket case. Losing £11m a season and with two major shareholders about to engage in expensive legal action against each other. One (Ken Anderson) has injected £3.5m into the club while at the same time taking, er, £3.5m out, and the other (Dean Holdsworth) borrowed £5m to buy the club at an eye-watering interest rate of 30% PA. Ouch.

That's crazy, losing more a year than their entire wage bill? And it isn't fair, no. It never will be. It's largely down to the freedom of clubs to how they operate. Thus we are reliant on egotistical power hungry characters, often with a complete lack of morale fibre or long term interest, choosing to play fair. I was thinking the other day, Rochdale - as far as I understand - are the only club in the top 6 contenders whom operate on a non-orchestrated small loss/profit basis. Basically no massive benefactor and operating to their income. All the others have wage bills way in excess of, or as a very high proportion of, their 'normal' football income means. They either operate a high risk policy, or have bail out mechanism, or not as the case may turn out to be with the Trotters. The German ownership model is something we should be yearning for in this country, as well as other German models, like Heidi Klum.

EU models are no longer allowed in the new UK. :wink:

The Turkish Messi!!!
Last edited by Guest on Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:10 pm

Elsewhere, besides Walsall being in the lead (for how long??) we have

Oldham Athletic 1 Coventry City 1

AFC Wimbledon 0 Charlton Athletic 1

Northampton Town 1 Chesterfield 0

Some comments on the Bolton unofficial board claim that Oztumer's 40-yard goal was "a fluke" :roll: :roll:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:15 pm

14 minutes, and it's 1-1 :( :(

As a complete aside, Kidderminster Harriers have just gone 3-0 up against Curzon Ashton, with the scorer being one McQuilkin......

Bristol Rovers 1 Bradford City 0

Next
Return to 2016-17 Season