Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Port Vale (A) Sunday May 8th, 12.30pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 3rd in League 1
Forum rules
Be nice or face the consequences
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Port Vale (A) Sunday May 8th, 12.30pm

Tue May 03, 2016 10:37 pm

So......the question of which team will qualify for automatic promotion will only be answered on the last day of the League One programme and the two contestants are Burton Albion and Walsall; I think it's fair to say that most football supporters would not have expected The Brewers and The Saddlers to be in this situation, had they been asked at the beginning of the season. In much the same way, Leicester City have confounded all the pundits apart from the chap who put £50 on at 5,000/1 - this season has seen mega-surprises all round, I mean, just consider Aston Villa.......... :mrgreen:

Anyway, we visit our old friends in the Potteries to see if we can give ourselves a chance of avoiding the play-offs. Vale have had equal measures of ups and downs this season, and currently occupy mid-table in 12th position, with a goal difference of +3. All we need to do (all we can do, in fact) is to win this game by a couple of clear goals and hope that Andy Butler and his Doncaster friends can get the better of Burton Albion.

When we played Port Vale in the home League One fixture on December 20th we won 2-0 - you may remember that as being the first game for Sean O'Driscoll as manager. Even in that first outing O'Driscoll managed to take the shine off the win by referring to his team thus: "I still think they're punching above their weight and I think the second half of the season is going to be a little bit more difficult". The League One table after that win makes interesting reading......Burton Albion were top, we were 2nd, and Coventry City were in the play-off zone. Barnsley, believe it or not, were in the bottom four!!!

We look forward to seeing at least one familiar face in the form of Ben Purkiss, naturally. Vale's recent form:

28 Mar Barnsley (H) Lost 0-1
2 Apr Chesterfield (A) Lost 4-2
9 Apr Crewe Alexandra (H) Won 3-0
16 Apr Gillingham (A) Won 0-2
23 Apr Rochdale (H) Won 4-1
30 Apr Scunthorpe United (A) Lost 1-0

Vale's home form in League One has been quite consistent, with wins against Wigan Athletic and Sheffield United illustrating their capabilities.....and yet in the middle of March they contrived to lose 0-4 at home to Burton Albion. :shock:

As far as Jon Whitney's selection is concerned, he can surely have no other option but to start with the same line-up that made such an impact in the first half against Fleetwood Town. There didn't seem to be any injuries serious enough to suggest doubts for Sunday's game, and having O'Connor back in defence does give us a degree of solidarity. I would certainly start Kieron Morris, and perhaps consider Jordy Hiwula the same way, keeping Milan Lalkovic as an impact sub. Another consideration is that Jordan Cook may well get some game time - it was his 2 goals that featured in that December game when we won 2-0 against the Vale. In the interests of our attacking football and the need to score as heavily as practicable I would keep Sam Mantom on the bench. Decisions....decisions.......

Prediction time? Well, it just HAS to be an away win by a score of 0-2 (at least) - Bradshaw and Sawyers on the mark. That, coupled with Doncaster Rovers going out in a blaze of glory by thumping Nigel Clough's Burton Albion, and we can start looking forward to some illustrious visitors at Bescot next season.......Oh, and also Aston Villa. :wink:

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Re: Port Vale (A) Sunday May 8th, 12.30pm

Wed May 04, 2016 2:54 am

I hear tickets are going well. Anyone who loves Walsall needs to go to this. Obviously some people can't due to family or work commitments but if you can go and don't shame on you. I assume exile will say it's too far, peasant :D only people I don't want to go are idiots who will slag Sawyers off for being lazy etc etc

We still have a chance and even if we don't do it this team deserve a massive turnout to show our appreciation for a season that has surpassed all of our expectations.

2 of our Norwegian supporting saddlers are flying in just for the match.

This could be epic. If it's not, and despite reservations about missed chances in certain matches, the staff and players of Walsall FC deserve massive credit for giving us an exciting season beyond our expectations. Believe

UTS

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed May 04, 2016 6:16 am

belgiansaddler wrote:I hear tickets are going well. Anyone who loves Walsall needs to go to this. Obviously some people can't due to family or work commitments but if you can go and don't shame on you. I assume exile will say it's too far, peasant :D only people I don't want to go are idiots who will slag Sawyers off for being lazy etc etc

We still have a chance and even if we don't do it this team deserve a massive turnout to show our appreciation for a season that has surpassed all of our expectations.

This could be epic. If it's not, and despite reservations about missed chances in certain matches, the staff and players of Walsall FC deserve massive credit for giving us an exciting season beyond our expectations. Believe

UTS

It reminds me of when we got relegated at Ipswich, as in we had the smallest of chances of pulling it off that day, but there was that little chance that we could do it, and you just wouldn't want to miss it if we did. We didn't obviously that day, and despite everything going wrong that could, the mini bus breaking down, sold out of beer in the ground, never really being in the game etc etc, was in my top ten away days of all time. We cheered the team on, we gave them a standing ovation for very nearly pulling off a miracle that season, none more so than Sir Ray. We drank beer and sang Walsall songs well in to the early hours for the love of Walsall F.C. One of the things I miss the most about my Dad, he could turn the most painful of Walsall games in to a day to remember.

Same on Sunday for me, sing, shout and hope, and if all else fails, have a beer with the many great people who I have made friends with through Walsall F.C and be proud that I am from Walsall, and follow the team from the town where I was born.

The Walsall.

WFC Steve

Wed May 04, 2016 12:12 pm

I hope he starts with Morris in the middle of the park - the midfield seemed to offer a different dynamic with him there.

I also hope that Whits and co noticed the success we had playing quick balls into the box - something that we havent done all season.

Lets get behind the lads and get us the win - and hope for the right result at Donny :mrgreen:

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed May 04, 2016 1:54 pm

I have a feeling this could be an away day to remember.

4-1 win with Bradshaw, Morris, Hiwula and Demetriou scoring.

Burton to lose 3-1.

We'll gew up.

UP THE SADDLERS

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Wed May 04, 2016 2:10 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:I hear tickets are going well. Anyone who loves Walsall needs to go to this. Obviously some people can't due to family or work commitments but if you can go and don't shame on you. I assume exile will say it's too far, peasant :D only people I don't want to go are idiots who will slag Sawyers off for being lazy etc etc

UTS

It reminds me of when we got relegated at Ipswich, as in we had the smallest of chances of pulling it off that day, but there was that little chance that we could do it, and you just wouldn't want to miss it if we did. We didn't obviously that day, and despite everything going wrong that could, the mini bus breaking down, sold out of beer in the ground, never really being in the game etc etc, was in my top ten away days of all time. We cheered the team on, we gave them a standing ovation for very nearly pulling off a miracle that season, none more so than Sir Ray. We drank beer and sang Walsall songs well in to the early hours for the love of Walsall F.C. One of the things I miss the most about my Dad, he could turn the most painful of Walsall games in to a day to remember.

Same on Sunday for me, sing, shout and hope, and if all else fails, have a beer with the many great people who I have made friends with through Walsall F.C and be proud that I am from Walsall, and follow the team from the town where I was born.

The Walsall.

What a fantastic post w-A-w :)

I'll be there plus Mrs & her brother - a possible new Saddler!

3-0 win - unfortunately can't see Burton losing but you never know - they have yet to beat Doncaster so there is hope!

Titch

Wed May 04, 2016 2:42 pm

Managed to get cover at work to go :)
A comfortable 3-0 win for us and Doncaster would be ideal, but I expect there will be late drama.
Sawyers to score a 30 yard screamer in the dying seconds to make it 2-0, and Andy Butler heading home in the 95th minute for Doncaster to send us up on goals scored :D

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Wed May 04, 2016 2:46 pm

Feck it, play like we did the other day and hopefully score early and see how it plays out.

Even if we don't make it automatically, sod it we'll go to Wembley and get promoted there instead. That will exorcise the ghost of the JPT final performance.

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Wed May 04, 2016 7:07 pm

Pity, that the fixture compilers hadn't got us playing Burton (home or away), last match, with us needing to win by two goals.

That's the way to end a season.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Wed May 04, 2016 7:27 pm

We have to go for it, unchanged side for me.

Duh duh duh duh, ANDY BUTLER

Can't wait.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed May 04, 2016 7:52 pm

2-1 win, coming from behind. Bradshaw and Demetriou who I thought was MOTM on Monday.

2-0 Burton....

coop63
Glitterati

Thu May 05, 2016 1:32 am

I'll miss this one due to crap planning on my part and flying back to the UK from US but I'll have it on whatever internet service I can get (prob updates on BBC and Sky Sports via. Third party situ and what's apps from my son who will be there...) :?

I agree with many in that I've got a feeling it's going to be a big day for us and I really fancy a good score line (I'm going 1-3) with Tom for a couple and I reckon Rico is in for another....

Donny and our mate Mr Butler to win 2-1 at the Keepmoat to make our day complete :mrgreen:

I'm sure all that are there will make it special for the club, the players and the fans themselves - give it max on and off the pitch and we could have many a fine day tolook forward to next season...

I prefer not to contemplate the playoffs until we need to!

Wish I was there but I'll certainly be there in heart and mind..

UTS

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Thu May 05, 2016 8:36 am

Bottle of champers in the boot... :mrgreen:

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu May 05, 2016 9:46 am

UTS

It's too far. Hope for the best of days out for those who go. Enjoy!

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Thu May 05, 2016 10:34 am

Getting very excited, yet nervous about Sunday. But I have a good feeling about the outcome.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu May 05, 2016 12:04 pm

we will 98-0

but Burton will 0-0 it

The fudge

Micky Saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu May 05, 2016 3:46 pm

My arse is in my mouth...Its only Thursday :|

Fudge me

kshammer
Site Addict

Thu May 05, 2016 5:24 pm

2-0 us.

Can see Burton drawing though.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Thu May 05, 2016 7:27 pm

Based on the performance on Monday, I think we'll beat Fail (who are a decent side) :) .

I can't see Burton losing at Doncaster :( .

BUT YOU NEVER KNOW!!!

Score early and that might just give the Brewers the jitters...

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Fri May 06, 2016 12:00 am

We will win, Burton will lose - I have never been more certain of anything since I proclaimed that Trump would not win the Republican nomination.

I'm a believer - whatever happens it will be an epic day out for those going, it's fate were playing long time rival Vale.

Louise
UTS Legend

Fri May 06, 2016 7:09 am

Anyone know what time the Supporters Coaches are leaving Bloxwich Sunday Morning?

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Fri May 06, 2016 7:37 am

Vale are a decent side at home so fingers crossed they just roll over for us!

Have a feeling we may sneak it 3-2, however the Burton game is completely unpredictable. However you look at it with the cameras there the Doncaster players have to put in the effort.

Either way get to Vale Park and celebrate what has been a great season and if its the Play Offs so be it , even more excitement to look forward to.

UTS!

tinned
Site Addict

Fri May 06, 2016 12:21 pm

I wonder how much mobile data will be used in the Burslem area on Sunday? With all the score updates and even a few "watching" the burton game on sky Go the data levels could be huge :D

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Fri May 06, 2016 2:21 pm

Not easy game being local derby and vale got decent home record ,

Whatever result and auto or playoffs team deserve great support and show of what they have achieved at end of game.

Louise supporters coaches 10-00 at bloxwich that's what on my coach ticket.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Fri May 06, 2016 4:13 pm

Was originally at work but managed to get off at the last minute.
Rang the ticket office at 4.15 and was lucky enough to get answered, only to be told that ticket sales had finished!! I think the girl must have felt sorry for me and sold me two - the last sales!!!
I had interrupted her totting up all sales, which got me thinking, we must have given Vale around 60k in ticket sales :shock:

I think the least they should do is give us 2 goals in return :D

Des Lynam

Fri May 06, 2016 4:18 pm

Sunday 14:20....

Port Vale 0 Walsall 2
Bradshaw
Morris

Doncaster 1 Burton 0
A. Butler

Monday 09:00....

With a few sore heads and equally sore throats, a coach load of Walsall fans make their way up to Doncaster to buy Andy Butler a bag of crisps, a pint of bitter and maybe a pickled egg.

And that is how it will go down!

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Fri May 06, 2016 6:19 pm

Sold 3 and half thousand tickets aye we?

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Fri May 06, 2016 6:56 pm

[quote="Des Lynam"]Sunday 14:20....

Port Vale 0 Walsall 2
Bradshaw
Morris

Doncaster 1 Burton 0
A. Butler

If only Eh? I'm sure we have all dreamt of these scores...let's just hope that reality proves that dreams CAN come true!

So sorry that I can't make the trip. Hope you all give 'em a massive shout for me!

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri May 06, 2016 7:01 pm

At the end of the day all we can do is concentrate on winning our game by 2 clear goals, the rest we will just have to hope :wink:

Noggin
UTS Veteran

Fri May 06, 2016 7:55 pm

UTS

This is me... Again...

I'm stuck down south... In all the years I've been a Walsall fan I've never seen us get promoted. Obviously, we have been promoted, but I've always managed to miss the actually game when we won promotion.

Have I worded that correctly?

Next
Return to 2015-16 Season