Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Prediction League 1 2015-16: Intro & Table!

Threads that have run on UpTheSaddlers that might or might not be worth keeping...
Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Prediction League 1 2015-16: Intro & Table!

Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:20 am

Hi everyone! Hope you have had a good summer so far, with topsy turvy cricket, urine soaked tour de france riders and crazy golf at St Andrews to enjoy!

But, whatever takes our mind off football for 2 months, here we are again, a few days before the new season, and whilst we seem to have the perennial discussions on here about how thin our squad is, why we haven't bought players for certain positions that it is blindingly obvious we need, where all our JPT and sell on money has gone, and why we allow Villa to advertise outside our 'stadium', we have the distraction that is the Prediction League for our league 1 season!

For those who aren't old hands at it by now, it is basically a fun, banter filled prediction competition between posters on here based on predicting the correct result / scoreline of 3 league one fixtures of your choice from each fixture week (can be a Saturday or midweek set of fixtures). After 46 weeks we see who the winner is! Anyone and everyone is free to enter and as the weeks unfold, you'll see it get pretty fractious and tactical on here between people! Below is the final table from last season's competition to remind people of who won / where you finished. This thread will be for table updates throughout the season (please sticky it mods!)

The first week's prediction thread is up and running now so go to it to check out the rules and make your 3 predictions.

Final table from last season (you can see how close it was!):

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Re: Prediction League 1 2015-16: Intro & Table!

Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:17 am

I think I'm going to make sure that I predict as late as possible this year (i.e. later than Saigon Saddler).

I'm sick of people copying me.

:D :mrgreen: :wink:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:59 am

I RETURN!!!

Adorned by the encrusted crown of circumstance, the golden braided cloak of magnificence and holding the speculum of opportunity.

THE GLORY IS MINE.

I am the best predictor and the earth shakes at my colossal doings.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:07 am

We've all had enough of your colossal doings...

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:04 am

:!:

>>>>>...CASH PRIZE!...<<<<<

This season is the tenth consecutive in a row and everything, and as such requires and demands a prize consistent with its greatness.

10 years!

As such, the winner of this year's prediction epic will win the princely; hardly life-changing, but better than a poke in the eye; sum of ....

60 English pounds!

The prize is open to all UTS members, assuming they are real and not a spurious sock-puppet. Past players, and regular posters who have never played are most welcome. The rools are simple enough, so it's worth having a wild stab for a few weeks even if you are not a regular player.

Contingencies...

*The winnings will be handed over by a real person to a real person at the end of the season. IN CASH.

*Those residing abroad: alternative arrangements will be made, the cost of any bank transfers, currency exchange etc will come out of the 60 quid. Or will be presented as an 'I owe you' which is as good as cash. Better in fact.

*The prize will be split if 2 or more players are on the same points at the end.

*Only one prediction player per each real person - the final decision on who is real is down to the prize provider.

*You must use an already registered UTS username to get the prize.

*I've just had a look down the member pages, the vast majority of the top 300 posters (based on post count) are eligible, but there are some known sock-puppet mutants in amongst the mix - if in doubt ASK.

*Naturally, the prize is open to anyone who has ever predicted before and anyone known as a regular or lapsed poster, or has been a regular poster in the last few months with only a few posts. But please don't farm out your account to a third party.

*Anyone is eligible to PLAY and ENJOY the prediction league at any stage - these contingencies only refer to the allocation of the prize fund.

*In the not unlikely event that the prize provider wins the league (again), I guess he keeps the money to spend on delicious treats and booze.

*Apologies in advance to JJ for any extra admin headaches this may bring!

Good luck!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:54 am

SaigonSaddler wrote::!:

This season is the tenth consecutive in a row and everything, and as such requires and demands a prize consistent with its greatness.

10 years!

As such, the winner of this year's prediction epic will win the princely; hardly life-changing, but better than a poke in the eye; sum of ....

60 English pounds!

The prize is open to all UTS members, assuming they are real and not a spurious sock-puppet. Past players, and regular posters who have never played are most welcome. The rools are simple enough, so it's worth having a wild stab for a few weeks even if you are not a regular player.

Contingencies...

*The winnings will be handed over by a real person to a real person at the end of the season. IN CASH.

*Those residing abroad: alternative arrangements will be made, the cost of any bank transfers, currency exchange etc will come out of the 60 quid. Or will be presented as an 'I owe you' which is as good as cash. Better in fact.

*The prize will be split if 2 or more players are on the same points at the end.

*Only one prediction player per each real person - the final decision on who is real is down to the prize provider.

*You must use an already registered UTS username to get the prize.

*I've just had a look down the member pages, the vast majority of the top 300 posters (based on post count) are eligible, but there are some known sock-puppet mutants in amongst the mix - if in doubt ASK.

*Naturally, the prize is open to anyone who has ever predicted before and anyone known as a regular or lapsed poster, or has been a regular poster in the last few months with only a few posts. But please don't farm out your account to a third party.

*Anyone is eligible to PLAY and ENJOY the prediction league at any stage - these contingencies only refer to the allocation of the prize fund.

*In the not unlikely event that the prize provider wins the league (again), I guess he keeps the money to spend on delicious treats and booze.

Good luck!

To thicken the plot (if Saigon agrees) I propose to add £40 to his generous offer, which will bring the available prize money to a nice round £100.00 - bring it on !!! :D

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:15 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote::!:

[/color]

Good luck!

No apologies needed as I won't be doing anything extra - you can deal with any extra admin it brings up!

Your idea, your problem! :mrgreen:

Nice idea though, and very generous, as well as Welsh's offer to make it a cool ton! :D

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:53 pm

Excellent - nice one Welsh, and should ensure a seething mass of predictors for this year's happenings! :D

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:23 pm

I have entered the fray.

To the rest - I curse thee :evil: (apart from Saigon and Welsh for stumping up the prize. In their case, just a small hex)

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:44 pm

Very generous of you, my perverted friend - and you too Mr Welshman.

I look forward to receiving the cash in person from you both.

:D

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:15 am

Manchester Saddler wrote:Very generous of you, my perverted friend - and you too Mr Welshman.

I look forward to receiving the cash in person from you both.

I feel discriminated against by virtue of physical location! I thoroughly intend to win so that Saigon can transfer the cash to my chosen beneficiaries, the prostitutes collective. I'm sure he knows where to find them. :mrgreen:

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:24 am

Well, here is the first table for the new prediction league season! Seems like a lot of people needed some more preseason training as there were a lot of 0s! But it is embryonic days so no one need worry yet!
The week's winner was Flemish with an impressive first haul of 5 points! Well done!

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:06 pm

Suggested new rule: -

Predictors should be deducted one point for each time they predict in a lazy arsed "re-post all the fixtures format"

Probably only done this way by students, teachers, doleys & retired with far too much time on their hands.

It really gets my goat :evil:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:06 pm

Asps wrote:Suggested new rule: -

Predictors should be deducted one point for each time they predict in a lazy arsed "re-post all the fixtures format"

Probably only done this way by students, teachers, doleys & retired with far too much time on their hands.

Note to self: set to default: re-post all fixtures format: repeat: end.

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:33 pm

As no-one has predicted the Sunday game at Wigan, I have been able to do the week 2 table pretty pronto after this afternoon's games.
A much better week of scoring compared to week 1 and no blobs at all! Some good home wins that were popular choices helped. The winning score for the week was 4 points. This was achieved by a number of posters, including copycats who wait till near the end to predict after everyone else has posted their predictions! :wink: :D
So the week's winners are Welsh_Saddler, Maverick, Jolly Johnny, Leatherman, Exile, Saigon Saddler and canadiansaddler - well done to all of those!

There is a full set of fixtures for Tues and Weds evening, so don't forget to predict on the week 3 thread!

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:34 pm

It doesn't get my goat, but I do feel sorry for the types that do it, as it opens a window into their life choices that anyone with a modicum of training in psychiatry can clearly see through.

Such types make lazy workers, awful travel companions, totally unsuitable teachers or mentors, and are terrible in bed. They are destined to die alone, appearing happy on the outside, but forever wondering what happened to the life they wanted.

:mrgreen:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:36 pm

Exile wrote:

It doesn't get my goat, but I do feel sorry for the types that do it, as it opens a window into their life choices that anyone with a modicum of training in psychiatry can clearly see through.

Such types make lazy workers, awful travel companions, totally unsuitable teachers or mentors, and are terrible in bed. They are destined to die alone, appearing happy on the outside, but forever wondering what happened to the life they wanted.

I am glad this can't be about me as I had a friend who once told me that I was OK as a travelling companion and quite good in bed.

saddla
Site Addict

Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:39 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:

I am glad this can't be about me as I had a friend who once told me that I was OK as a travelling companion and quite good in bed.

you would be amazed what some people will tell you when you're paying them for their time :mrgreen:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:10 pm

saddla wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:

you would be amazed what some people will tell you when you're paying them for their time :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and :lol:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:32 am

Nonsense!

I like to think the fact that the compliments began tailing off a bit after I got low on cash was just a simple coincidence. :idea:

Anyway, the rest of it doesn't apply to me at all, and I have lots to do today, mostly thinking about what happened to the life I wanted.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:19 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:Nonsense!

I like to think the fact that the compliments began tailing off a bit after I got low on cash was just a simple coincidence. :idea:

Anyway, the rest of it doesn't apply to me at all, and I have lots to do today, mostly thinking about what happened to the life I wanted.

:D to be fair I enjoyed your company when we met.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:52 am

Exile wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:Nonsense!

:D to be fair I enjoyed your company when we met.

Don't tell me - he paid you as well...... :mrgreen:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:20 am

I paid him in compliments. And I didn't cack in the bed.

Anyway, he can cook - I recommend a meeting with himself and Canadian if anyone gets over to NZ (it's not that far!)

:wink:

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:16 pm

Updated table after Week 3 fixtures. A few blobs and generally not great scoring after a few surprise scorelines and injury-time goals syndrome!
The week's winners were canadiansaddler, Tinned, Darth Vader and dobbster71 with 3 points, well done!

Week 4 for Saturday is already up and running!

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:46 pm

Well, week 4 is now complete, and the super Saddlers are sitting pretty nicely in the League One table, but how are people doing in the prediction league? Well, it was a reasonably good day for scoring with only one blob and mostly 2s and 3s. But one person, after declaring it was time to stop messing around and get serious (!!) did just that and won this week with 5 points, Well done to Wragbyred!

Here is the updated table. Week 5 for next Saturday will be up on Tues evening.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:56 pm

Glad to see cumbria saddler has real staying power. :mrgreen:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:09 am

Nice to see Manchester finally make it out from under 'Lovemuffin' ... well done Manchester, and good luck in your battle for 22nd with Welsh and Old Penk!

*Feeling buoyant* :D :wink:

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:17 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Nice to see Manchester finally make it out from under 'Lovemuffin' ... well done Manchester, and good luck in your battle for 22nd with Welsh and Old Penk!

I like to build up to brilliance, my perverted friend.

It's a marathon, not a sprint.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:21 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:Nice to see Manchester finally make it out from under 'Lovemuffin' ... well done Manchester, and good luck in your battle for 22nd with Welsh and Old Penk!

I like to build up to brilliance, my perverted friend.

It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Some marathon! What is it? SEVEN years since you last finished above me, and during that time I have contrived to WIN the league TWICE and place in the top three INNUMERABLE times. Well, more than a few anyway.

Your latest feeble challenge appears OVER after just TWO weeks (now four but already a practically UNASSAILABLE lead).

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:59 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUP4dCucVnY

I particularly like "I'll be stretching my mouth to let those big words come right out".

:D :wink:

Next
Return to UTS Classics