Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

CREWE MATCH

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Re: CREWE MATCH

Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:03 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Louise wrote:We turned up for the last ten minutes so can count ourselves v fortunate to leave with a point.Nothing wrong with the pitch,I was three rows from it,it was absolutely fine,no excuse Deano.Sawyers is so gifted just wish he would apply himself.If he wants an example of where poor attitude can get you may I point him in the direction of an equally gifted Walsall player,Ishmael Demontagnac,see where he is now.We were poor today,no excuses. Great day out as always at Crewe,find these days its more about meeting fellow Saddlers than the football.

Agreed Louise, best pre match pub atmos for while!
A great away day spoiled once again by the football dished up.
Two relegation teams putting up an appalling, dire display of 'end of the season' rubbish.
Walsall only turned up after 80 odd minutes, Bradshaws goal was 'fluke of the century'! Crewe deserved to hang on for the three points, but to be honest Shelfield High School for girls under 14's reserve team could have equalised against 'em!
Lets face it, Tuesdays result masked what can only be described as a wasted opportunity of a season, that includes our Wembley humiliation.
We have a pithe poor team that couldn't fight it's way out of a paper bag, substantial changes (which I regret to say includes a change of Manager, which we all know won't happen) will have to be made throughout if we are to escape another season of dreary boring rubbish.

How, you had us down for relegation at the start of season so surely it has slightly exceeded your expectations or do you quietly change the tactics as the season goes along to continue moaning?

I don't quite see what changed during the season to suddenly see anything other than a top 6 finish would be a failure.

Yes I know it's a poor league, I said as much as early as October. It will be a poor league again next season with the teams coming down imo so it's important the start to the season is a lot better than this one which really handicapped things.

BEIRLYND

Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:40 pm

First away game of the season (Wembley apart).
Agree with most of comments already made.
Thought Huber possibly offside in build-up to their goal. First half our defence was turned so easily with simple balls over the top/through channels. One great save by O'Donnell. Really poor first 45 minutes.
Second half thought Crewe sat back, getting 10 men behind ball, probable to stop us hitting them on break. This resulted in slow laborious attacks on our part, no threat from Crewe. It appeared to me that Sawyers was playing wide left, joke, but no excuse for the moron sitting behind me for the constant stream of abuse that Sawyers surely heard.
Overall enjoyed day out, but just like watching Walsall at home, opposition goalkeeper doesn't make a single save.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:52 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
Louise wrote:We turned up for the last ten minutes so can count ourselves v fortunate to leave with a point.Nothing wrong with the pitch,I was three rows from it,it was absolutely fine,no excuse Deano.Sawyers is so gifted just wish he would apply himself.If he wants an example of where poor attitude can get you may I point him in the direction of an equally gifted Walsall player,Ishmael Demontagnac,see where he is now.We were poor today,no excuses. Great day out as always at Crewe,find these days its more about meeting fellow Saddlers than the football.

Two relegation teams putting up an appalling, dire display of 'end of the season' rubbish.
Walsall only turned up after 80 odd minutes, Bradshaws goal was 'fluke of the century'! Crewe deserved to hang on for the three points, but to be honest Shelfield High School for girls under 14's reserve team could have equalised against 'em!
Lets face it, Tuesdays result masked what can only be described as a wasted opportunity of a season, that includes our Wembley humiliation.
We have a pithe poor team that couldn't fight it's way out of a paper bag, substantial changes (which I regret to say includes a change of Manager, which we all know won't happen) will have to be made throughout if we are to escape another season of dreary boring rubbish.

How, you had us down for relegation at the start of season so surely it has slightly exceeded your expectations or do you quietly change the tactics as the season goes along to continue moaning?

I don't quite see what changed during the season to suddenly see anything other than a top 6 finish would be a failure.

Yes I know it's a poor league, I said as much as early as October. It will be a poor league again next season with the teams coming down imo so it's important the start to the season is a lot better than this one which really handicapped things.

Don't quite agree with this assessment, the front runners will be far too strong for the also ran's in the league next season.......Wigan will walk away with the title, Millwall, Preston/MK Dongs, the Blades, Swindon, probably Posh....all will be contenders, we would need metal nickers to be in with so much as a shout at the top half next year with Smith in charge. And no I don't moan all the time, those that know me well, also know, that a deal of my posts are delivered 'tongue in cheek' somewhat so please forgive my rantings!

You were obviously not there yesterday then? As an indication of how bad it was, my mate Belgian left at half time and went to the pub!!!!! :? :? :?

I actually witnessed a note of pessimism from you in another thread, I did honest, are you ill? do you need some pills? :lol: :lol:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:21 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

Don't quite agree with this assessment, the front runners will be far too strong for the also ran's in the league next season.......Wigan will walk away with the title, Millwall, Preston/MK Dongs, the Blades, Swindon, probably Posh....all will be contenders, we would need metal nickers to be in with so much as a shout at the top half next year with Smith in charge. And no I don't moan all the time, those that know me well, also know, that a deal of my posts are delivered 'tongue in cheek' somewhat so please forgive my rantings!

You were obviously not there yesterday then? As an indication of how bad it was, my mate Belgian left at half time and went to the pub!!!!! :? :? :?

I actually witnessed a note of pessimism from you in another thread, I did honest, are you ill? do you need some pills? :lol: :lol:

Wigan won't walk away with the title like Wolves did, no chance.

Gary Caldwell is an inexperienced manager for a start.

One of Franchise/PNE will go up as will one of them/Swindon/Sheffield in the play offs so at least two big players in this league going to the championship.

It will be a weak league again next season.

No I didn't go yesterday but a 1-1 with Bradshaw scoring after going behind in a nothing game just seems the same as Port Vale, Sheffield and Bradford this season. You'll always get games like that in a 46 game season.

Hey, I'm not mr deluded at all the time but I'm not predicting automatic relegation after every match either. :mrgreen:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:13 pm

Louise wrote:Sawyers is so gifted just wish he would apply himself.If he wants an example of where poor attitude can get you may I point him in the direction of an equally gifted Walsall player,Ishmael Demontagnac,see where he is now.

Not sure I buy the poor attitude thing. Does not flying into tackles count as having a poor attitude? If so, I can think of a pretty long list of former and current players who fall into the same bracket yet never got accused of having a poor attitude.

Sawyers hasn't been at his best since we went 3-0 up at home to Rochdale, so I completely understand all the frustration. Think it's clutching at straws to blame his attitude though.

Darth Vader
Site Addict

Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:20 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

And knowing Belgian he didn't enter the ground until 20 past 3!

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:45 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Louise wrote:Sawyers is so gifted just wish he would apply himself.If he wants an example of where poor attitude can get you may I point him in the direction of an equally gifted Walsall player,Ishmael Demontagnac,see where he is now.

Not sure I buy the poor attitude thing. Does not flying into tackles count as having a poor attitude? If so, I can think of a pretty long list of former and current players who fall into the same bracket yet never got accused of having a poor attitude.

Sawyers hasn't been at his best since we went 3-0 up at home to Rochdale, so I completely understand all the frustration. Think it's clutching at straws to blame his attitude though.

I'm not criticising Sawyers for not flying into every tackle. I wouldn't mind if he strolled into the odd one or two occasionally though.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:00 pm

tinned wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:
Louise wrote:Sawyers is so gifted just wish he would apply himself.If he wants an example of where poor attitude can get you may I point him in the direction of an equally gifted Walsall player, Ishmael Demontagnac, see where he is now.

I'm not criticising Sawyers for not flying into every tackle. I wouldn't mind if he strolled into the odd one or two occasionally though.

Ishy was a highly-talented nutcase, with an appalling attitude problem. I don't think that Sawyers comes anywhere near Ishy in that respect. From what I can gather, Sawyers's attitude around the club is first-rate - and neither does he get involved in the on-the-field trouble that Ishy did.

However, I definitely do NOT subscribe to the "Sawyers is our best player" point of view. He is a player I would be seeking to move on as he is a luxury that we cannot afford. It would be interesting to see the endless queue of bigger clubs vying for his signature if he became available - if we are to believe the Sawyers-lovers on here! :D He may well blossom under a different coach and a team moulded around his undoubted skill but somehow I doubt it.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:40 pm

Pedagogue wrote:However, I definitely do NOT subscribe to the "Sawyers is our best player" point of view. He is a player I would be seeking to move on as he is a luxury that we cannot afford. It would be interesting to see the endless queue of bigger clubs vying for his signature if he became available - if we are to believe the Sawyers-lovers on here! :D He may well blossom under a different coach and a team moulded around his undoubted skill but somehow I doubt it.

Romaine Sawyers on a Bosman, and you believe there wouldn't be bigger clubs than Walsall wanting to sign him?Really?Even Westcarr got himself sorted, remember?
I can't see him being on a big wage at Walsall, so bigger clubs could afford him just as a squad player,

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:48 pm

Romaine Sawyers is under contract under 2016 so will be going nowhere as I doubt anyone will be bidding serious money for him either.

I assume he's the type that reacts best to arm round the shoulder treatment so he needs to be told how good he really is as certainly more goals and assists should be demanded of him next season as his stats this season are below my expectations which was hitting double figures for goals for a start.

I think it's a realistic expectation given the team has been built to accommodate him which has looked more of a handicap in the second half of the season.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:17 am

Wragbyred wrote:Even Westcarr got himself sorted, remember?

Westcarr is in a mediocre Pompey team in the lower half of League Two! He has scored 7 goals in 36 appearances (including substitute appearances) for Pompey. Hardly a step-up!

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:08 am

I didn't say it was a step up, you were on about bigger clubs than Walsall.
I would say Pompey are, and i should think hes on a far bigger wage than at Walsall

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:38 am

Wragbyred wrote:I didn't say it was a step up, you were on about bigger clubs than Walsall.
I would say Pompey are, and i should think hes on a far bigger wage than at Walsall

I bet he ain't.

Pompey haven't got two ha'pennies to rub together.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:33 am

Leatherman wrote:
Wragbyred wrote:I didn't say it was a step up, you were on about bigger clubs than Walsall.

I bet he ain't.

Pompey haven't got two ha'pennies to rub together.

Agreed. Pompey WERE a much bigger club than Walsall (and still have a superb fanbase for their level) but, thanks to a succession of crooks in the boardroom and having a prat like Redknapp as manager (very good at over-spending other people's money and lining his own pocket), they have been in dire financial straits in the last few years - hence their meteoric demise from the Premier League, being FA Cup winners and being in the Europa League down to the lower reaches of League Two. Their future looks brighter now that their Supporters Trust owns and runs the club.

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:25 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

None of those looked particularly special in the games I saw them play against us.

SWS1

Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:16 pm

In my opinion, we've matched most (most) of the teams we've played this season (including some of the dire teams we've "equalled" :roll: as well as the Sheffield |United's etc! ), although goal scoring has been a continuing problem. I agree with what leics-saddler says on another thread. We definitely need a bit of height (and weight?) in the team. Let's hope some of the little boys grow a bit over the close season!

kshammer
Site Addict

Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:44 am

SWS1 wrote:Let's hope some of the little boys grow a bit over the close season!

Baxendale could double in size and still only be 8 stone ringing wet.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:51 am

Darth Vader wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:

And knowing Belgian he didn't enter the ground until 20 past 3!

It's a miracle Belge turns up for half the away games he goes to! :wink:

Cully
Site Addict

Mon May 04, 2015 9:49 am

Apologies for the delay in posting but I'm afraid I had writers block, the type when the team plays the same way it has for the majority of the season that I fail to put the same old report in an interesting and quirky manner lest the reader fall asleep or induces a coma.

We had a rather nice lunch and a few beers at the 'Cheshire Cheese PH' before the game and were entertained by a young rapscallion at the ticket office who was attempting to obtain a student ticket without the necessary evidence despite being asked by the girl behind the counter about his course he failed to back up his claim of studying for a Masters in Economics at Manchester by incorrectly adding up what he was prepared to pay for himself and his friend. Never mind there's always next season.

The match, I thought Crewe played quite well, their size big centre forward proved to be more than a handful for our midgets and we were frequently out passed, out challenged and out fought, quite fairly I thought for the majority of the game. More of the same from Walsall, tedious, boring and ineffective in particular up front. 81st minute, a goal out of the blue and I wouldn't be unfair by calling it a real freak but non the less we celebrated like we'd scored a goal!
The next few minutes we actually started to get on top and move the ball forward rather than sideways but failed to get a winner which would have been unfair on Crewe.

That's it.

SMITHOUT.............He's tedious.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:05 am

Still in shock a deflection went for us :shock:

Previous
Return to 2014-15 Season