Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Shrewsbury Town (H) F.A.Cup 1st round 8 Nov, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2014-2015 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Re: Shrewsbury Town (H) F.A.Cup 1st round 8 Nov, 3pm

Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:54 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:55 pm

BarnsleySaddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:
BarnsleySaddler wrote:Manset now coming on for Baxendale.

Come on Mathieu prove me wrong...

What is semaphore for 'slow moving oil tanker approaching'?

SOS

Appropriate for Bradshaws last minute face saving deflection then...blushes saved until a week on Tuesday then.......... :) :)

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:55 pm

Season saved (other than the JPT :roll: )

The less said about the attendance (again) the better!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:56 pm

Manset booked

BarnsleySaddler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:59 pm

2-2 Blushes saved for another day.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:00 pm

Super Tom. That's eight goals from open play now, Grigg only managed 12 in his 20-goal season!

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:05 pm

Mangan is a diving Scunthorpe, dived for the free kick and got booked diving for a penalty.

We had the most chances but they will cause us quite a few problems a week on Tuesday.
Last edited by IHTC. on Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:06 pm

Feeling the replay!

Why Shrewsbury away always sounds an attractive fixture is beyond me :lol:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:11 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:Feeling the replay!

Why Shrewsbury away always sounds an attractive fixture is beyond me :lol:

Maybe on tv, not many draws.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:19 pm

Phew! :)

We live to fight another day. For the record, Bradshaw has scored 9 goals out of 19 in all competitions this season.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:33 pm

BathSaddler wrote:Phew! :)

We live to fight another day. For the record, Bradshaw has scored 9 goals out of 19 in all competitions this season.

Think he's only actually played in 14 games due to injury, pretty good record!

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:48 pm

Draw was about right, even if the free kick for their second was.... erm... questionable.

Wonder save from O'Donnell kept us in it before the break.

Lack of pace & penetration in the final third continues to hold us back- Forde had a couple of vaguely threatening moments in an otherwise instantly forgettable display, and Baxendale was as ineffective on the right as... well, the last time I saw him there (at Oldham). The substitutions & change of formation seemed to confuse Sawyers- on two occasions he was the second deepest of our outfield players.

Mangan is a cheating, diving tosspot. Woods (Shrews No 4) was the best player on the pitch. Adam Chambers MOTM for us.
Last edited by EvenFlow on Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:48 pm

Lucky to get away with that, another insipid, gutless performance again.

God knows what we'd do without Bradshaw who took his first goal really well.

A few notes:

- we came out second best in nearly every single physical challenge, we need to grow a nasty side

- Baxendale is useless. When was his last good game? He's not a winger I hear you say? Right, we'll get rid of him. He wimps out of challenges, plays backwards and negative all the time, and to top it off today, he did beat his man in the box, and decided instead to tamely kneel down and ask for a penalty. Wtf?. Grow a pair. He's so weak and negative you might as well not have him on the pitch. Get rid.

- Purkiss. People on here love him - god knows why. He's iffy at defending, and his crossing (a big part of a fullbacks game, is atrocious - 4 attempts at crossing he had today - only once did it not sail over everyone and go out for a goal kick.

- the referee and officials were pretty poor today, the free kick for shrewsburys second goal was extremely harsh.

Overall, I thought that Shrewsbury were the better side today and we were lucky to get away with that, we've got too many players who simply aren't good enough - Baxendale, Purkiss, Holden - get rid. Play james chambers at right back, and bring a centre half and winger in.

Oh, and a note for O'Donnell, who made one of the best saves I've ever seen in the first half.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:53 pm

Bradshaw 2-2 Shrewsbury

1 man team, no-one else other than O'D looked interested or even up for it.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:56 pm

Firstly, a draw as about right. Two very poor to average teams. We wont win the replay.

Richard O Donnell made the best save i have seen at the Bonks's for years, if that was on TV, they would all be creaming. If they had gone 2 up we would have lost. The man is ace, his celebrating when we scored was top banana. He had one dodgy kick today, that was it.

The game was poor, i think we were poor first half, rightly booed off, second half was okay with flashes of decent play.

The people around me slagged Manset off, but we looked so much better when he came on, his presence alone opened up the
space for the forwards. Smith actually made the right subs today i think. Our equaliser has probably saved him from more awkward questions.

Mantom played well when he came on, be glad when he is in the team rather than Cain. First half A.Chambers was cack but 2nd a very solid performance.

We are a team of utter ponces, too many players backed out of tackles first half, certain lads weren't up for it. Mantom added steel, and Manset added beef.

Tom Bradshaw. Heroic.

The ref. Worse than Deadman. utter **** Never ever ever ever ever a freekick for their goal.

Shrewsbury came up for it, they could have won that game if they had gone for more goals instead of sitting back. We were there for the taking on the break i think.

Ratings
O Donnell- 11
Purkiss- 6 Cant cross it for cack but did okay, but too many attacks broke down from his sliced crosses.
Chambers - 6 did okay
Downing- 6 Did okay
Taylor - 8. Mr dependable. Needs better studs.

Forde - 6 meh, flatters to deceive but he was trying the right things.
A Chambers - 7 Much better second half
Cain - 6 Ran around a bit, but another powderpuff player.
Baxendale - 2 Im sorry to say it, i love him, but he is naff. Backed out of tackles, couldnt control a lump of concrete, missed a chance early in second half instead of shooting he let it bonce of his shins.
Sawyers - 5 Poor really, It just wasnt his day. Had a hand in the first goal

Bradshaw - 8 huffed and puffed without getting anywhere but he is a real finisher, first goal he scored when he went through, didnt even contemplate him missing. Second was lucky, but he took the shot.

Subs
Manset - 7 Added extra threat just by occupying other defenders.
Mantom - 7 So pleased to see him back on the pitch, just what we have been missing.
Grimes - 5 Didnt get much chance though.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:13 pm

latviancheese wrote: The ref. Worse than Deadman. utter **** Never ever ever ever ever a freekick for their goal.

Ref was Deadman.

He was awful, but in fairness both teams benefited from his poor decisions.

otiswfc
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:22 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Well done to Bradshaw again.....come on now, save our blushes.......UTS

3,546 in attendance, so if Shrewsbury have bought over 1,000, that makes home support of about 2,500...says it all, the borough of Walsall (pop over 250,000) don't deserve a football team, their wishes may come true, regrettably still in my lifetime.... :(

The same amount of support as last season's corresponding match, AM. And I don't care what anyone says, 'proper Walsall' has nowhere near 250,000 people - more like 170,000. That would still make our support today crap though :wink: .

It made no difference from the same pitiful atmosphere at the ground at the end of the day it's the same 200-300 that sing every week me included so if the attendance was 1500 with 1200 shrewsbury it would sound the same.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:35 pm

otiswfc wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Well done to Bradshaw again.....come on now, save our blushes.......UTS

3,546 in attendance, so if Shrewsbury have bought over 1,000, that makes home support of about 2,500...says it all, the borough of Walsall (pop over 250,000) don't deserve a football team, their wishes may come true, regrettably still in my lifetime.... :(

The same amount of support as last season's corresponding match, AM. And I don't care what anyone says, 'proper Walsall' has nowhere near 250,000 people - more like 170,000. That would still make our support today crap though :wink: .

It made no difference from the same pitiful atmosphere at the ground at the end of the day it's the same 200-300 that sing every week me included so if the attendance was 1500 with 1200 shrewsbury it would sound the same.

Does the ambition/exciting football/atmospheric stadium/long-term setup on show at WFC deserve more than 2,500 home fans? No.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:44 pm

EvenFlow wrote:
latviancheese wrote: The ref. Worse than Deadman. utter **** Never ever ever ever ever a freekick for their goal.

Ref was Deadman.

He was awful, but in fairness both teams benefited from his poor decisions.

:lol: Actually had no idea it was him. I hate that bellend I'd have given him more if I'd known it was him :lol:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:46 pm

Phil is spot on. The football is just barely entertaining. At times it's sleep inducing.

I see potential in this team though, but I'm not Smith is the man to get it out of them anymore.

First game in a long time today for me, I was hoping it would be different. ...

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:12 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Lucky to get away with that, another insipid, gutless performance again.

A few notes:

- we came out second best in nearly every single physical challenge, we need to grow a nasty side

- Baxendale is useless. When was his last good game? He's not a winger I hear you say? Right, we'll get rid of him. He wimps out of challenges, plays backwards and negative all the time, and to top it off today, he did beat his man in the box, and decided instead to tamely kneel down and ask for a penalty. I don't believe I follow, old chap?. Grow a pair. He's so weak and negative you might as well not have him on the pitch. Get rid.

- Purkiss. People on here love him - god knows why. He's iffy at defending, and his crossing (a big part of a fullbacks game, is atrocious - 4 attempts at crossing he had today - only once did it not sail over everyone and go out for a goal kick.

- the referee and officials were pretty poor today, the free kick for shrewsburys second goal was extremely harsh.

Overall, I thought that Shrewsbury were the better side today and we were lucky to get away with that, we've got too many players who simply aren't good enough - Baxendale, Purkiss, Holden - get rid. Play james chambers at right back, and bring a centre half and winger in.

Oh, and a note for O'Donnell, who made one of the best saves I've ever seen in the first half.

Funny how "the better side" got plenty of bookings for time wasting. Someone should have told them they were the better side then they wouldn't have picked up these unnecessary cautions

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:27 pm

Below average performance today.

Just about right result.

Complete and utter knob of a ref. Missed a handball in their penalty area just before half time. Gave them a non-existant free kick that resulted in their 2nd.

Super Tommy Bradshaw.

Saw Geordiesaddler at half time too.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:29 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Lucky to get away with that, another insipid, gutless performance again.

A few notes:

- Baxendale is useless. When was his last good game? He's not a winger I hear you say? Right, we'll get rid of him. He wimps out of challenges, plays backwards and negative all the time, and to top it off today, he did beat his man in the box, and decided instead to tamely kneel down and ask for a penalty. I don't believe I follow, old chap?. Grow a pair. He's so weak and negative you might as well not have him on the pitch. Get rid.

Funny how "the better side" got plenty of bookings for time wasting. Someone should have told them they were the better side then they wouldn't have picked up these unnecessary cautions

Name me an away side who doesn't time waste when 2-1 up?

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:38 pm

I thought it was an excellent cup tie which could have gone either way. Shrewsbury are much better than last year. We played some excellent football at times. A view shared by 3 callers to WM who were responding to an idiot who said we were shocking.
As for the players the most disappointing was Baxendale and we certainly improved with the substitutions. Mantom looked good and hopefully will start our next League game.I agree that Manset also helped the cause and he is certainly an option from the bench.
Finally we can win the replay and surely we will get a better referee! Not counting my chickens though!

PT
Site Addict

Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:22 pm

Like Jordan Cook and about 1500 others, I was a late withdrawal today.

Was always going to be tough.

Not many draws today so could well be on the telly for the replay. We could well take around half of today's home attendance to the replay (not necassarily half of the people who were actually there, hundreds will go up there who weren't there today).

Like Jordan Cook, I hope to be back on Wednesday night. Just hope there's some tickets left.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:25 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:

A few notes:

Name me an away side who doesn't time waste when 2-1 up?

Walsall

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:26 pm

Walsallone wrote:I thought it was an excellent cup tie which could have gone either way. Shrewsbury are much better than last year. We played some excellent football at times. A view shared by 3 callers to WM who were responding to an idiot who said we were shocking.
As for the players the most disappointing was Baxendale and we certainly improved with the substitutions. Mantom looked good and hopefully will start our next League game.I agree that Manset also helped the cause and he is certainly an option from the bench.
Finally we can win the replay and surely we will get a better referee! Not counting my chickens though!

Yep, that's how I saw it too.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:44 pm

IHTC. wrote:What is this mythical Premiership?

It's the highest level of Rugby Union in this country.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:06 pm

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:09 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
IHTC. wrote:What is this mythical Premiership?

It's the highest level of Rugby Union in this country.

Thought so but why is rugby constantly mentioned in threads regarding football? :?:

PreviousNext
Return to 2014-15 Season