Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Colchester United (H) League One, May 3rd 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
chestersaddler
Site Addict

Re: Colchester United (H) League One, May 3rd 3pm

Sat May 03, 2014 4:13 pm

Sadders wrote:Same old same old. We let go/sold our front 3 in the summer and haven't replaced them adequately, the blame lies at Jeff Bonser's door and nobody elses. We have finished in a position that sums our club, it's resources and budget up - I suppose you could say we've achieved more than some clubs when you look at the likes of Bristol Rovers. All in all, another season on the tick list of average.

I'll see you all next season for what will be a carry on from the end of this season IMO and a battle against relegation.

Over and out.

These players were within a Gnat's nadger of the play offs 2 months ago. They and the manager are responsible for the poor run of form, not Bonser.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 4:15 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Sadders wrote:Same old same old. We let go/sold our front 3 in the summer and haven't replaced them adequately, the blame lies at Jeff Bonser's door and nobody elses. We have finished in a position that sums our club, it's resources and budget up - I suppose you could say we've achieved more than some clubs when you look at the likes of Bristol Rovers. All in all, another season on the tick list of average.

I'll see you all next season for what will be a carry on from the end of this season IMO and a battle against relegation.

Over and out.

These players were within a Gnat's nadger of the play offs 2 months ago. They and the manager are responsible for the poor run of form, not Bonser.

Dead right. We were in the play-offs (only just, admittedly) and it was our hands whether we stayed in the play-offs.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 4:17 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
TheGilbertAlsop wrote:Mick Kearns is one stop short of suggesting bringing back corporal punishment for the pitch invaders. 'Complete idiots' he called them.

Why was there a pitch invasion???? Was it because we had a corner, or something??? :?

It was hardly an invasion.
A pair of prats ran on from the lower with a flag whilst we were in the middle of an attack.
They got plenty of abuse from the Home end before being carted off by the stewards.
Something else happened just after in the lower but didn't see what it was.

Then not long after that there was a couple of blokes in the upper squaring up to each other after an argument over people standing in the way.

We've been pretty cack on the pitch but some of our so called fans haven't covered themselves in glory this season either!
Last edited by SaddlerSteve on Sat May 03, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 4:17 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Over and out.

Dead right. We were in the play-offs (only just, admittedly) and it was our hands whether we stayed in the play-offs.

2 wins in 34 games ( last two seasons poor runs together), that's disgusting and shows Smith lacks idea's.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat May 03, 2014 4:18 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

Over and out.

Yes, but we were riding the wave of momentum and confidence carried through from last season and then early season form, when teams worked us out and the confidence train slowed, it became painfully obvious that we are one of the worst teams in the FL at scoring and creating goals. Sell your best players and don't replace or finance replacements and you need miracles in a club like ours to actually achieve things. Poor budget, poor crowds and a woefully poor frontline. Not forgetting the fact that Feb/March on paper was our hardest run of the season and so it showed. Just because we occupied 7th for a period of the season doesn't give us an automatic expectation to finish 6th. That kind of talk is why managers get sacked after 56 seconds in a new job in the modern day.

Blame lies at Boner's door.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 4:35 pm

Sadders wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Over and out.

Yes, but we were riding the wave of momentum and confidence carried through from last season and then early season form, when teams worked us out and the confidence train slowed, it became painfully obvious that we are one of the worst teams in the FL at scoring and creating goals. Sell your best players and don't replace or finance replacements and you need miracles in a club like ours to actually achieve things. Poor budget, poor crowds and a woefully poor frontline. Not forgetting the fact that Feb/March on paper was our hardest run of the season and so it showed. Just because we occupied 7th for a period of the season doesn't give us an automatic expectation to finish 6th. That kind of talk is why managers get sacked after 56 seconds in a new job in the modern day.

Blame lies at Boner's door.

Crowds have mostly always been cack. Please don't say you believe that there are 2000 Bonser stayaways?

We didn't sell the three players. Grigg and Brandy were out of contract and didn't want to stay. Do you think that we should have stood in Paterson's way? Ironically Brandy has been in the team for the whole of this dire run.

We have a bigger squad of players than for a number of years and have given longer contracts to players than for a few years. It seemed obvious to all bar Smith that we needed a goalscorer and he has failed to find one for the salary we pay. Same situation for previous managers - that's what managing Walsall is about.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 4:45 pm

Just when Barnsley,Doncaster,Chesterfield,Rochdale & Scunthorpe come into our Division next season, the wife has decided that we are moving back to Lancashire! On the playing side, I'm saying nothing, just in case FBIG is in a similarly foul mood, he will need a thesaurus to string together more personal insults! :?

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat May 03, 2014 4:47 pm

No, not at all. I don't care for anyone or anything about the Bonser stayaway stuff, never have. Anyone who has left, won't be coming back now whether he's in or out.

My point is. Smith had the rug taken from underneath him in the summer and was probably given not even 5% of that money to spend on replacing quality players. Picture Liverpool selling Suarez, Sterling and Sturridge for £200m and then being handed £10m to rebuild a squad to challenge for the top 4 again. Smith isn't a miracle worker and neither would any manager be. Yes this run has been cack, yes it's not good enough and yes Smith has flaws in his management/playing/recruitment style. But all the politics of individual seasons aside. We have some of the lowest crowds in the division, one of the tightest chairmen and some of the smaller recruitment systems in place. For aslong as Jeff Bonser owns this football club and the town of Walsall can only produce 3,500 fans each week then our Championship/ general success ambitions will remain, predominantly as amibitions only. Sure, we may have 1 BIG realistic chance every 10-15 years to get to the Championship but the rest of the time will be spent fighting relegation, mid table averageness or flirtations with top 8. These are the cold, stark facts of the day.

I live with hope and ambition of more, but I do it with realism and by right there are about 20 other teams that have more of right, on paper to expect more than us.

13th is a dissapointing finish on the face of things, but in context it's a perfectly adequate finish in a well fought division, nothing more, nothing less.

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat May 03, 2014 4:53 pm

What a disappointing end to the season.

Massive summer ahead for Deano. We really need more creativity in the centre of the park and, of course, somebody to stick the chances away.

Without the right recruitment, I fear we may do a Tranmere who had an awful 2nd half of last season, and went down this season.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat May 03, 2014 4:56 pm

Game summed up the whole season. Dominate possession against yet another mediocre team without looking very threatening, conceed a freak/cack/unlucky goal (delete as required) then lose. Same old.

Can't quite understand the wrist slashing preparations over next season's prospects though.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat May 03, 2014 5:05 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:Full-time, and it ended 0-1.

We had: FOUR times as many goal attempts as Colchester
We had: TWICE as many on target " " "
We had THREE TIMES the number of corners " "

... and we lost. Where's 'sallian with his logic to put us right when we need him? :cry:

Don't worry I've been sitting on the sidelines.....of the message board, reading.

I have witnessed most of you gradually be forced by reality into realising that Sallian is right....I predicted this a long time ago.

It was clear after the Pete_borrowers home game that Walsall could not score......they should have scored fifty and struggled to score 2. I told a companion of mine at that time "They will not make play offs as they can't score and waste possession.....they don't shoot when they can, they don't create when they can and when they do shoot its piddle poor.

I was fooled for a short time after signing of brandy and a striker....but both made jack all difference....the real loss was grigg and paterson.

But the main failing was Smith's lack of judgment in my view....didn't address that which was obvious to all onlookers.

They should have been searching all the play grounds, parks and pitches in the country.....

I am a better striker than any of the Walsall strikers........and I am a lot slower than I was, but I would still be better. If they can't find anyone better than they have...even on the cheap....then they need to address their scouting system....maybe i can do some kickups on webcam or something.

Richard O Kelly should have played. Even Dean Smith up front....he was the only guy to hit the crossbar in the cross bar challenge.

Next season a relegation struggle unless Dean Smith develops some better tactics and improves his judgement.

Bring back Hutchings!!!!!!!!!!! And if not BARNWELL.........and if not try Bonser on the sidelines.....at least he might teach them about economy and efficiency of passing.....and opportunity cost and law of diminishing returns
Last edited by sallian on Sat May 03, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Sat May 03, 2014 5:05 pm

Bakayoķo looked great, O'Donnell Player of the Season, Morris had good skill and resolve but was a bit slow, WE MUST KEEP BUTLER, McQuilkin was fighting for balls 1st half but was nothing 2nd and Sawyers actually headed a ball.

Idiot hooligans, donald off to the Wolves.

Great reaction by the main stand to when their No 9 got 'hurt'.

Why the hell do we water the pitch?!? STOP!

Will be an interesting summer! UTS!!!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 5:11 pm

Sadders wrote:No, not at all. I don't care for anyone or anything about the Bonser stayaway stuff, never have. Anyone who has left, won't be coming back now whether he's in or out.

My point is. Smith had the rug taken from underneath him in the summer and was probably given not even 5% of that money to spend on replacing quality players. Picture Liverpool selling Suarez, Sterling and Sturridge for £200m and then being handed £10m to rebuild a squad to challenge for the top 4 again. Smith isn't a miracle worker and neither would any manager be. Yes this run has been eartha, yes it's not good enough and yes Smith has flaws in his management/playing/recruitment style. But all the politics of individual seasons aside. We have some of the lowest crowds in the division, one of the tightest chairmen and some of the smaller recruitment systems in place. For aslong as Jeff Bonser owns this football club and the town of Walsall can only produce 3,500 fans each week then our Championship/ general success ambitions will remain, predominantly as amibitions only. Sure, we may have 1 BIG realistic chance every 10-15 years to get to the Championship but the rest of the time will be spent fighting relegation, mid table averageness or flirtations with top 8. These are the cold, stark facts of the day.

I live with hope and ambition of more, but I do it with realism and by right there are about 20 other teams that have more of right, on paper to expect more than us.

13th is a dissapointing finish on the face of things, but in context it's a perfectly adequate finish in a well fought division, nothing more, nothing less.

You are tying yourself up in knots here. Smith did not have the rug pulled from under him. Two of the three players WANTED to leave and the other was too good to hold onto and will probably be too good for Forest to hold onto long term. One of the three then came back for the last third of the season. The team was hardly ripped apart.

We enjoyed the most successful period in our history under Bonser and the townsfolk still didn't show up.

The majority of us accept that it is a tough ask, and that we are where we normally are, but my original point stands that the manager and players have to take responsibility for the poor run, having shown for two thirds of the season that they were capable of competing for a play off place.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat May 03, 2014 5:14 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Sadders wrote:No, not at all. I don't care for anyone or anything about the Bonser stayaway stuff, never have. Anyone who has left, won't be coming back now whether he's in or out.

My point is. Smith had the rug taken from underneath him in the summer and was probably given not even 5% of that money to spend on replacing quality players. Picture Liverpool selling Suarez, Sterling and Sturridge for £200m and then being handed £10m to rebuild a squad to challenge for the top 4 again. Smith isn't a miracle worker and neither would any manager be. Yes this run has been eartha, yes it's not good enough and yes Smith has flaws in his management/playing/recruitment style. But all the politics of individual seasons aside. We have some of the lowest crowds in the division, one of the tightest chairmen and some of the smaller recruitment systems in place. For aslong as Jeff Bonser owns this football club and the town of Walsall can only produce 3,500 fans each week then our Championship/ general success ambitions will remain, predominantly as amibitions only. Sure, we may have 1 BIG realistic chance every 10-15 years to get to the Championship but the rest of the time will be spent fighting relegation, mid table averageness or flirtations with top 8. These are the cold, stark facts of the day.

You are tying yourself up in knots here. Smith did not have the rug pulled from under him. Two of the three players WANTED to leave and the other was too good to hold onto and will probably be too good for Forest to hold onto long term. One of the three then came back for the last third of the season. The team was hardly ripped apart.

We enjoyed the most successful period in our history under Bonser and the townsfolk still didn't show up.

The majority of us accept that it is a tough ask, and that we are where we normally are, but my original point stands that the manager and players have to take responsibility for the poor run, having shown for two thirds of the season that they were capable of competing for a play off place.

Agreed...its obvious considering they were up there for a reasonable amount of time...along with beating/drawing some of the top teams.

They didn't push enough and didn't make adjustments

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 5:16 pm

How come you always refer to Walsall as "they" rather than "we"?

sallian
Glitterati

Sat May 03, 2014 5:19 pm

boringteacher wrote:Game summed up the whole season. Dominate possession against yet another mediocre team without looking very threatening, conceed a freak/eartha/unlucky goal (delete as required) then lose. Same old.

Can't quite understand the wrist slashing preparations over next season's prospects though.

well if the form continues they will be going down

The rot needs to be stopped and they didn't manage to stop it today.....now they carry into preseason a psychology of:-

i) We finished in bottom half
ii) we can't score
iii) we couldn't stop a terrible run
iv) we ended up knocked out after peppering a larger fighter early on
v) we can't score
vi) we can't score
vii) the first goal is important

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat May 03, 2014 5:20 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Just when Barnsley,Doncaster,Chesterfield,Rochdale & Scunthorpe come into our Division next season, the wife has decided that we are moving back to Lancashire! On the playing side, I'm saying nothing, just in case FBIG is in a similarly foul mood, he will need a thesaurus to string together more personal insults! :?

Jesus Christ, you're precious.

Easily hurt

Wetter than a bag of slags

Melodramatic

Hysterical

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat May 03, 2014 5:35 pm

sallian wrote:
boringteacher wrote:Game summed up the whole season. Dominate possession against yet another mediocre team without looking very threatening, conceed a freak/eartha/unlucky goal (delete as required) then lose. Same old.

The rot needs to be stopped and they didn't manage to stop it today.....now they carry into preseason a psychology of:-

ii) we can't score
v) we can't score
vi) we can't score

Actually seeing the team play tends to give you a more informed opinion than sitting on your arse behind a keyboard and basing your analysis on the stats on the BBC. Try it.

BEIRLYND

Sat May 03, 2014 5:44 pm

All Saddlers fans must be worried for next season. We have finished 2013/14 easily the worst team in league one. That is with Butler, Taylor, Westcarr, Brandy. No big fees for players sold. Smith thinks the club have moved forward this season. I cannot agree

sallian
Glitterati

Sat May 03, 2014 5:46 pm

boringteacher wrote:
sallian wrote:

ii) we can't score
v) we can't score
vi) we can't score

Actually seeing the team play tends to give you a more informed opinion than sitting on your Arsenal behind a keyboard and basing your analysis on the stats on the BBC. Try it.

Your name suits you...how could you not appreciate that comedic genious post.....I really am wasted on this board.....Is there a Saddlers women board I can try? Or Saddlers Academics? Saddlers Intellectuals? Saddlers half brains (a full half more than the other other lot!)

If I was paying to be tortured at the games on a regular basis.....what is the difference between that and being a crack addict....aprt from the brief joy the crack provides?

I was tortured enough in the handful of games I did attend. And when they did actually score...it was such a rare and momentous occasion that I injured myself so badly I think I am still carrying the scars, I probably should have gone to hospital....but maybe attending any games is a sign one should be in hospital of a different type.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 5:51 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Just when Barnsley,Doncaster,Chesterfield,Rochdale & Scunthorpe come into our Division next season, the wife has decided that we are moving back to Lancashire! On the playing side, I'm saying nothing, just in case FBIG is in a similarly foul mood, he will need a thesaurus to string together more personal insults! :?

Easily hurt

Melodramatic

Hysterical

Easier to wind up than a mechanical toy! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat May 03, 2014 5:54 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:

Easily hurt

Melodramatic

Hysterical

Easier to wind up than a mechanical toy! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Says the person mentioning me.

Nice that you think of me, though.

m&m
Glitterati

Sat May 03, 2014 6:00 pm

Let's be clear. 2 wins in 18 is dire.
We once again could have played until midnight and not scored.Of many disappointing seasons this rates fairly highly due to the massive under achievement.

If some of the rumours are true I fear for next season.I really hope that Andy butler has not signed a 2 year deal with Scunthorpe (apparently we only offered 1 year?)and that Andy Taylor is also following him there.

Without our loan players today we looked even less threatening than ever.

So much for building the club by tying the best talent down with long term deals.As it stands we only have about 5 first team players in contract.

Talk about a season of 2 halves. If you compare the opening day demolition of tranmere whilst playing some great stuff to today's debacle it says it all. Deano has taken us backwards!

Cully
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 6:01 pm

Those of us who can be bothered to attend witnessed yet another half season of abject failure not only in results but mainly in the style, tactics and method of our very own ginger Mourinho. Pointless tactics, tedious play, boring mind numbing periods of the worst kind of his tippy tappy pass back to Butler football, terrible contract decisions and no adequate explanation from Smith as to what his plan is to not only win games but introduce a modicum of excitement.
Smiths fans, for whom he can do no wrong, in particular the early part of the season, were so busy wristing themselves off and praising his amazing achievements would appear to be happy to accept our mediocre players, the far sighted long term signings of dross, the weekly excuses and denial from Smith that anything is wrong with 'his' team.
For those people that don't go it matters not that they have to witness first hand the dross we have become, the results speak for themselves and I fail to see why anyone cannot be allowed to draw the obvious conclusion from listening, reading and watching the 'highlights'. Just reading this board is enough to see through the Smith smokescreen.
I went today and it was rubbish - FACT

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sat May 03, 2014 6:04 pm

TheSwift wrote:Bakayoķo looked great, O'Donnell Player of the Season, Morris had good skill and resolve but was a bit slow, WE MUST KEEP BUTLER, McQuilkin was fighting for balls 1st half but was nothing 2nd and Sawyers actually headed a ball.

Idiot hooligans, donald off to the Wolves.

Great reaction by the main stand to when their No 9 got 'hurt'.

Why the hell do we water the pitch?!? STOP!

Will be an interesting summer! UTS!!!

The way Butler spoke with the two groundsmen (on the pitch) just before kick off looked very much like goodbye and farewell. :(

sallian
Glitterati

Sat May 03, 2014 6:32 pm

Cully wrote:Those of us who can be bothered to attend witnessed yet another half season of abject failure not only in results but mainly in the style, tactics and method of our very own ginger Mourinho. Pointless tactics, tedious play, boring mind numbing periods of the worst kind of his tippy tappy pass back to Butler football, terrible contract decisions and no adequate explanation from Smith as to what his plan is to not only win games but introduce a modicum of excitement.
Smiths fans, for whom he can do no wrong, in particular the early part of the season, were so busy wristing themselves off and praising his amazing achievements would appear to be happy to accept our mediocre players, the far sighted long term signings of dross, the weekly excuses and denial from Smith that anything is wrong with 'his' team.
For those people that don't go it matters not that they have to witness first hand the dross we have become, the results speak for themselves and I fail to see why anyone cannot be allowed to draw the obvious conclusion from listening, reading and watching the 'highlights'. Just reading this board is enough to see through the Smith smokescreen.

This post gave me joy...humourous and eloquent an accurate exposition of the state of affairs....

It is reading posts like this that make it worthwhile following a failing team

at least we have a reliable witness and judicious judge on this board

Sallian and Cully are right T-shirts....now on sale in the club shop

PT
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 6:33 pm

That was rubbish.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat May 03, 2014 6:34 pm

sallian wrote:
boringteacher wrote:
sallian wrote:

ii) we can't score
v) we can't score
vi) we can't score

Actually seeing the team play tends to give you a more informed opinion than sitting on your Arsenal behind a keyboard and basing your analysis on the stats on the BBC. Try it.

Your name suits you...how could you not appreciate that comedic genious post.....I really am wasted on this board.....Is there a Saddlers women board I can try? Or Saddlers Academics? Saddlers Intellectuals? Saddlers half brains (a full half more than the other other lot!)

If I was paying to be tortured at the games on a regular basis.....what is the difference between that and being a crack addict....aprt from the brief joy the crack provides?

I was tortured enough in the handful of games I did attend. And when they did actually score...it was such a rare and momentous occasion that I injured myself so badly I think I am still carrying the scars, I probably should have gone to hospital....but maybe attending any games is a sign one should be in hospital of a different type.

fudge off troll

have a read

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BathSuicide

barclays - why the fudge do I feed you :?:

IHTC.
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 6:37 pm

Cully wrote:Those of us who can be bothered to attend witnessed yet another half season of abject failure not only in results but mainly in the style, tactics and method of our very own ginger Mourinho. Pointless tactics, tedious play, boring mind numbing periods of the worst kind of his tippy tappy pass back to Butler football, terrible contract decisions and no adequate explanation from Smith as to what his plan is to not only win games but introduce a modicum of excitement.

This in abundance. Did not go today due to work but my god I was relieved not too, last few months have been a chore. Unless Smith learns and learns quickly I fear for next season.

Forget the tippy tappy rubbish, get wingers running down the wing and start putting crosses in.

Just because we are Walsall FC we should not just have to accept mediocrity.

We are lucky that we had such a solid defence at the start of the season or else we would have been relegated, usually you do not stay up scoring a pathetic 49 goals.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat May 03, 2014 6:43 pm

boringteacher wrote:
sallian wrote:
boringteacher wrote:
sallian wrote:

ii) we can't score
v) we can't score
vi) we can't score

donald off troll

have a read

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BathSuicide

barclays - why the donald do I feed you :?:

If I'm the troll then you are the billy goat ....sheep who wont be crossing this bridge to the world of exciting studentdom ...u boring teacher! I think u gave dean smith his bright ideas

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season