Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Colchester United (H) League One, May 3rd 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Colchester United (H) League One, May 3rd 3pm

Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:09 pm

For the last game of this strange season we welcome Colchester United to (fortress) Bescot. It's a bit of a nothing fixture in terms of league position, as Colchester made themselves practically mathematically safe last week-end when they demolished Brentford 4-1. Their only danger would be for Tranmere to win by about 12-0 and for us to win by the same score.....it's not going to happen. Colchester should bring a familiar face back to probably haunt us in the form of Jabo Ibehre, who has scored 9 goals this season, second on their list behind Sears (with 12, one of which was against us earlier this season. Remember that Andy Taylor free-kick equaliser in the 96th minute?). Current form:

Apr 2 Peterborough United (A) Lost 2-0
Apr 5 Tranmere Rovers (H) Lost 1-2
Apr 12 Stevenage (A) Won 2-3
Apr 18 Oldham Athletic (H) Lost 0-1
Apr 21 Crewe Alexandra (A) Drew 0-0
Apr 26 Brentford (H) Won 4-1

I have to declare a personal interest in the outcome of this game - if we finish in the top half of the table I collect reasonably big-time from the bookie who was rash enough to give me odds of 11/4. If we win, I collect. If we draw or lose I may still collect, depending on the outcome of Crawley v Bristol City and Bradford City v Tranmere Rovers. Dean Smith's post-match comments after the Stevenage disaster could (should?) lead to improved performance, or at least attitude from certain players already mentally sunning themselves on some far-flung beach. I predict a 2-0 win for us.

Keep an eye on the Championship on Saturday as well.....if Birmingham City lose at Bolton then we will have one local derby replacing another next season.

bangsection
Site Addict

Re: Colchester United (H) League One, May 3rd 3pm

Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:45 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
I have to declare a personal interest in the outcome of this game - if we finish in the top half of the table I collect reasonably big-time from the bookie who was rash enough to give me odds of 11/4. If we win, I collect. If we draw or lose I may still collect, depending on the outcome of Crawley v Bristol City and Bradford City v Tranmere Rovers.

You can guarantee you win on Saturday for a modest outlay, Welsh. By my reckoning, after tonight's games there are only four possible sets of results that could deny us a top half finish. These four trebles pay 25-1, 36-1, 41-1 and 42-1, so for a small proportion of your potential profit on a top half finish you can take out insurance that will more than cover us blowing it.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:50 pm

bangsection wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:
I have to declare a personal interest in the outcome of this game - if we finish in the top half of the table I collect reasonably big-time from the bookie who was rash enough to give me odds of 11/4. If we win, I collect. If we draw or lose I may still collect, depending on the outcome of Crawley v Bristol City and Bradford City v Tranmere Rovers.

You can guarantee you win on Saturday for a modest outlay, Welsh. By my reckoning, after tonight's games there are only four possible sets of results that could deny us a top half finish. These four trebles pay 25-1, 36-1, 41-1 and 42-1, so for a small proportion of your potential profit on a top half finish you can take out insurance that will more than cover us blowing it.

I'm intrigued, and may well follow your advice. Ta muchly :D

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:52 pm

Final step to 100% attendance, if I wake up before 2PM on Saturday then it is plain sailing :D

Somehow though I think I chose the wrong season to do this...

bangsection
Site Addict

Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:08 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:Final step to 100% attendance, if I wake up before 2PM on Saturday then it is plain sailing :D

Somehow though I think I chose the wrong season to do this...

It's a fantastic achievement, Jonny. Big up yourself.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:54 am

bangsection wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:

I decided to cover myself by a slightly different method. The bookmaker concerned is offering 10/1 that Walsall finish in the bottom half of the table, so I've put enough on that to bring me the same return as my "top half" bet. So no matter what happens I'll be collecting.

Thanks for the inspiration !!! :D

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:45 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
I decided to cover myself by a slightly different method. The bookmaker concerned is offering 10/1 that Walsall finish in the bottom half of the table, so I've put enough on that to bring me the same return as my "top half" bet. So no matter what happens I'll be collecting.

Thanks for the inspiration !!! :D

Yep, that would work too! Didn't think they'd still be running the top half/bottom half markets. Glad to help - it's a nice feeling knowing that you win whatever the result.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Thu May 01, 2014 2:46 pm

3-0 McQuilkin hat trick

kshammer
Site Addict

Fri May 02, 2014 2:52 pm

2-2. Sawyers and Lalkovic.

mosaddler
UTS Veteran

Fri May 02, 2014 4:31 pm

2-0 westy and milan

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Fri May 02, 2014 7:31 pm

2-1, Westcarr, Brandy and Downing

martkrugeleysaddler
Glitterati

Fri May 02, 2014 8:14 pm

3-0 Ngoo hat trick with 3 Westy assists.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri May 02, 2014 8:57 pm

0-0 written all over it

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Fri May 02, 2014 9:07 pm

Meh

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 7:48 am

geoffwhiting wrote:2-1, Westcarr, Brandy and Downing

Ha ha ha....

Welsh - thanks for your previews this season - great work and really enjoyable to read!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 8:43 am

Whitters wrote:

Ha ha ha....

Welsh - thanks for your previews this season - great work and really enjoyable to read!

How kind :oops: :D

Glad you brought that up actually, because at the start of next season I'm going to be traipsing across the USA for a month and I'm looking for someone to temporarily (or permanently!!) take up the reins......that's assuming this site is still healthy and running!!

There's lots of time between now and September, but I thought I'd start flagging it up now rather than spring a surprise then - all suggestions would be very much welcomed, as long as they don't involve rogerem, Bakogen, Honest John, etc. etc.....

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Sat May 03, 2014 9:09 am

geoffwhiting wrote:Westcarr, Brandy and Downing

Sounds almost like a firm of lawyers

TheSwift
Glitterati

Sat May 03, 2014 11:21 am

Colchester are without quite a lot of players apparently. Brian Wilson, Jabo, Sanchez Watt and Freddie Sears are all out according to the U's website. Using a lot of young pros for the game they say.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 11:24 am

TheSwift wrote:Colchester are without quite a lot of players apparently. Brian Wilson, Jabo, Sanchez Watt and Freddie Sears are all out according to the U's website. Using a lot of young pros for the game they say.

That worries me, because those were the precise tactics used last week by Stevenage....... :(

TheSwift
Glitterati

Sat May 03, 2014 11:30 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
TheSwift wrote:Colchester are without quite a lot of players apparently. Brian Wilson, Jabo, Sanchez Watt and Freddie Sears are all out according to the U's website. Using a lot of young pros for the game they say.

That worries me, because those were the precise tactics used last week by Stevenage....... :(

But colchester aren't quite as much as an 'elbow in your face' team.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 1:17 pm

Whitters wrote:

Ha ha ha....

Whitters, I was just thinking of a hat-trick of own goals by Downing - I am right that he's got two already, aren't I? :?

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 1:21 pm

Before we get started at the Banks's, I would just like to record that I am stunned and saddened that Bolton have disgracefully allowed The Blues to come back and level from 2 goals down in the last ten minutes, and we now won't have that local derby that we were looking forward to next season.

What an absolute bummer!

Now, c'mon you Saddlers, and cheer me up with three points and a top half finish!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 1:45 pm

Starting line-up against Colchester:

O'Donnell

Chambers
Taylor

Mantom
Downing
Butler

Baxendale
Chambers

McQuilkin
Westcarr
Morris

Substitutes: Purkiss, Featherstone, Lewis, Benning, Flanagan, Sawyers, Bakayoko

TheGilbertAlsop
UTS Regular

Sat May 03, 2014 1:46 pm

Good to see Morris getting a start and Flanagan on the bench. They impressed me a lot when I saw the pre-season game against Alfreton Town. I would like to see Bakayoko get 45 minutes.
Disappointed that Ben George isn't in the squad, I think he should have been on the bench instead of Purkiss. No Holden either, I had an inkling that he would be in the squad today as it surely must be his last chance to say goodbye to professional football.

TheGilbertAlsop
UTS Regular

Sat May 03, 2014 1:47 pm

Just heard from a Liverpool mate of mine that Ngoo has gone back to Liverpool and could be on the bench for them on Monday night.

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Sat May 03, 2014 1:56 pm

TheGilbertAlsop wrote:Just heard from a Liverpool mate of mine that Ngoo has gone back to Liverpool and could be on the bench on Monday.

Is he a magistrate ?

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat May 03, 2014 2:00 pm

TheGilbertAlsop wrote:Just heard from a Liverpool mate of mine that Ngoo has gone back to Liverpool and could be on the bench for them on Monday night.

Man City's title then.

TheGilbertAlsop
UTS Regular

Sat May 03, 2014 2:05 pm

Ngoo going back to Liverpool makes sense to me. We saw against Chelsea that Liverpool didn't have a plan B, that guy they brought on (who took that woeful corner) was no different to what was already on display. Ngoo could be a hero on Monday night if Liverpool need a goal in the last few minutes. If he can score against Carlisle he can score against Palace.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 2:15 pm

TheGilbertAlsop wrote:Ngoo going back to Liverpool makes sense to me. We saw against Chelsea that Liverpool didn't have a plan B, that guy they brought on (who took that woeful corner) was no different to what was already on display. Ngoo could be a hero on Monday night if Liverpool need a goal in the last few minutes. If he can score against Carlisle he can score against Palace.

If he plays for Liverpool ill show you my arse

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat May 03, 2014 2:17 pm

Our finishing in the top half has been given a boost by Tranmere 1 Bradford 0

That brought Tranmere above the relegation line, but they've since slipped back under it because of Crewe 1 Preston 0........

Next
Return to 2013-14 Season