Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Port Vale (A) League One 5 Apr, 3.00pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
hullsaddler
Glitterati

Re: Port Vale (A) League One 5 Apr, 3.00pm

Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:02 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
hullsaddler wrote:
ChopperWFC wrote: We've loved passing teams off the park at times this year but for all the possession teams aren't scared of us because they know we just don't shoot enough. !

Was listening to their version of Sadworld before the game & their ex-player who does the Mick Kearns role summed us up along the lines of... " I think they over-pass the ball too much, if at times they could get the ball forward more quickly they would be a far more dangerous side.'

Did he cough down the mic?

Not sure whether he said our attack was impotent.

gray
Glitterati

Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:19 pm

The Walsall forwards who somehow manage to make even the most promising attack look harmless. A few times we even did the defending for Vale by passing it back out of the boss back to the midfield and then sideways again. We had shots but nearly all of them harmlessly rolled along the ground to their keeper. Ngoo wasn't good but was nowhere near as bad as people were making him out to be and Sawyers was frustrating today but should get more support. Too many players had 6 out of 10 games but I was really impressed with Bakayoko, his movement and work rate was really good.

The referee was a joke. I didn't get a good view on the penalty so can't comment on that but not booking the Vale player who basically clotheslined Ngoo on purpose in the first half was ridiculous and effectively punished us more than it did them.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:53 pm

This is completely irrelevant and mainly for the attention of 'King Crimson' ... have just listened to a very loud, live version of 'Epitaph' ... '"but I fear tomorrow I will be crying" ... sums us up?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:40 pm

Back to the old granny pants again then

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:35 am

Last couple of days have summed up best and worst side of Walsall fans as far as I am concerned. Walk was epic as was response of Walsall fans who donated so generously. Could not believe abuse Sawyers was getting, ok he didn't play very well but.... but what bugged me most was some kid going ballistic slagging off the kid when he was clean through. Yes he should of scored, but he is a young kid making his debut and made more happen in time he was on pitch than whole team had managed prior to him coming on. Some of our fans seem to want to ruin the confidence of our kids before they get going. Luckily his dad spoke more sense than him.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:39 am

BathSaddler wrote:Apparently, Port Fail's first double against us since Queen Victoria was on the throne. :(

Yes,and they looked like a sunday morning pub side.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:58 am

belgiansaddler wrote:Last couple of days have summed up best and worst side of Walsall fans as far as I am concerned. Walk was epic as was response of Walsall fans who donated so generously. Could not believe abuse Sawyers was getting, ok he didn't play very well but.... but what bugged me most was some kid going ballistic slagging off the kid when he was clean through. Yes he should of scored, but he is a young kid making his debut and made more happen in time he was on pitch than whole team had managed prior to him coming on. Some of our fans seem to want to ruin the confidence of our kids before they get going. Luckily his dad spoke more sense than him.

I couldn't make it yesterday but whilst your comments on some stick Bakayoko was getting dismays me, it doesn't surprise me.

Walsall fans, as a rule just don't understand how difficult it is for young strikers to make an impact. We've got form for nearly destroying some of the best young forwards we have ever developed. Ricketts, Fryatt, Butler (M), Deeney, Grigg all received dogs abuse from a section of our support. They all made it and made our football club a heap of cash between them despite having the mis-fortune to begin their career in front of sections of our support and credit to each and every one of them. Deeney must be worth four or five million now. Not bad for a kid who was never going to make a professional footballer in his life.

And so here we are again. N'Goo, Hewitt and now Bakayoko. Young lads learning their trade at a club that gives youth a break because it has to. N'goo and Hewitt look tight every time they play now. Trying too hard and over-eager to impress.

I hope that whilst Westcarr serves out his suspension we start with Hewitt and Bakayoko and that between us, we can give them the space and time to relax and show us what they can do.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:26 am

Just seen the penalty decision. Seemed very harsh.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:01 pm

I thought Ngoo had a good game yesterday. He hustled and bustled and skinned defenders on a number of occasions . Bafflingly, he was subbed and Butler took on the goal hanging position which would have suited Ngoo better (as it was against Crewe). He would have occupied two defenders that would have created openings for others. Butler was great in the defence but as a centre forward he was more interested in falling over and having handbags with his opposite number.

After he ran his nadgers off against the Sloppies last week, Brandy was surprisingly lacklustre yesterday.

As for fans for slagging off players during the game it is beyond me. I was never a great fan of Grigg but the abuse he got in his final season was beyond the pale. Grigg celebrating a goal to an empty stand was a sad indictment of the relationship between him and sections of our supporters. Some fans had better wise up otherwise they/we will end up with the kind of players they deserve.

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:18 pm

PT wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:Last couple of days have summed up best and worst side of Walsall fans as far as I am concerned. Walk was epic as was response of Walsall fans who donated so generously. Could not believe abuse Sawyers was getting, ok he didn't play very well but.... but what bugged me most was some kid going ballistic slagging off the kid when he was clean through. Yes he should of scored, but he is a young kid making his debut and made more happen in time he was on pitch than whole team had managed prior to him coming on. Some of our fans seem to want to ruin the confidence of our kids before they get going. Luckily his dad spoke more sense than him.

I couldn't make it yesterday but whilst your comments on some stick Bakayoko was getting dismays me, it doesn't surprise me.

Walsall fans, as a rule just don't understand how difficult it is for young strikers to make an impact. We've got form for nearly destroying some of the best young forwards we have ever developed. Ricketts, Fryatt, Butler (M), Deeney, Grigg all received dogs abuse from a section of our support. They all made it and made our football club a heap of cash between them despite having the mis-fortune to begin their career in front of sections of our support and credit to each and every one of them. Deeney must be worth four or five million now. Not bad for a kid who was never going to make a professional footballer in his life.

And so here we are again. N'Goo, Hewitt and now Bakayoko. Young lads learning their trade at a club that gives youth a break because it has to. N'goo and Hewitt look tight every time they play now. Trying too hard and over-eager to impress.

I hope that whilst Westcarr serves out his suspension we start with Hewitt and Bakayoko and that between us, we can give them the space and time to relax and show us what they can do.

I agree with the sentiments here but the question I am left asking myself is when do you stop becoming a "young lad" in terms of a footballing career that is already short on time? We have a number of young players, Bakoyoko, Mantom, Baxendale, Benning, Downing Ngoo and Sawyers are all aged 22 or under. Hewitt is 24, one year younger than Brandy, so do we include these as younger players as well, or should we actually be expecting more of Hewitt?

KoloSaddler
Glitterati

Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:27 pm

Well said Donnington, as I said on another thread some fans are just thick.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:28 pm

It doesn't matter what age they are - abusing your own players is just mental.

KoloSaddler
Glitterati

Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:13 pm

That's Walsall fans for you.

SWS1

Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:47 pm

VERY DISAPPOINTED - with the "slag-off" fans. We're much more likely to get somewhere if we support our players, especially the young ones, even if they are having a poor game. For every one that doesn't make it at all there is a Deeney or a Grigg who will.
Come on. Get with it.
:D

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:01 pm

ToeJoe Jnr wrote:
PT wrote:

I agree with the sentiments here but the question I am left asking myself is when do you stop becoming a "young lad" in terms of a footballing career that is already short on time? We have a number of young players, Bakoyoko, Mantom, Baxendale, Benning, Downing Ngoo and Sawyers are all aged 22 or under. Hewitt is 24, one year younger than Brandy, so do we include these as younger players as well, or should we actually be expecting more of Hewitt?

Just clocked this post.

I agree, a footballer isn't really a young player at 21 in the game today. You have to be really an established first team player by this time if you are going to do any good. Obviously rare cases, before someone pipes up.

Hewitt, pah, I almost always agree with PT, quite frankly just rip his contract up and fudge him off, useless, tries hard, but he's not good enough. Bakayoko at Port Vale did look a threat though, he fluffed his chance, no doubt he was nervous, but he made intelligent runs, and actually won a header above a defender *cough, cough Ngoo. You can't give a player extra potential, there is nothing there to work with in Hewitt, at 24 years of age, he may well do a job for a 4th division side, and I hope he gets fixed up, cos he has always tried his best, and has been professional, sadly wasting time on players with zero potential isn't something we should be doing.

Ngoo isn't as bad as some say, but he isn't what we need. Problem all season has been round pegs in square holes to much, hoping for a team with a bit more balance about it next season, then again I was hoping to win the Euro Lottery, so we'll see.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:57 pm

I dont have the physique, but i have a better footballing brain than Hewitt. FACT.

That volley against the wolves was pretty decent though.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:01 pm

latviancheese wrote:I dont have the physique, but i have a better footballing brain than Hewitt. FACT.

That volley against the wolves was pretty decent though.

It was, anyone can swing a boot at a football and catch it sweet once though.

Previous
Return to 2013-14 Season