Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wolverhampton Wanderers (H) League One 8 Mar, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
kshammer
Site Addict

Re: Wolverhampton Wanderers (H) League One 8 Mar, 3pm

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:09 am

1. Line up was surprising. Downing's form has dropped but so has Butler and the other defenders - would not have dropped him. Hewitt did ok but again, after little action he gets thrown into a big game like this. Hopefully game time for Taylor will help him be fit for Crewe. Mantom was a big miss.
2. Let Hemmings have a run against Crewe - Lalko has offered no decent final ball or goal threat for ages.
3. Brandy should have scored (especially the second one). Their second goal killed us.
4. Ref should have booked Dickohead. We'd have loved it though if one of our blokes had done it to them.
5. Wolves fans were barclays - top of the league and barely encouraged em at 0-0 or at 1-0 even. Their team deserved far more.
6. Credit to the Dingles, they have a nice balance of technical ability with power, pace and cutting edge (albeit at League One level).
7. Ikeme was an idiot but he was getting dogs abuse. It is stupid to just assume it was racist but if I was him and I had loads of people calling me stuff, i'd have given them a bit back.
8. Seing their faces as we sung "we saw you crying on the telly" was a picture.
9. Hurts me to say, but the better team won. We had our moment at the Custard Bowl (and anyone who was there can take comfort in that) but truth is we wor good enough on Sat.
10. Of the extra 3000 or so Walsall fans who turned up, can a few please turn up regularly? Was so good to see a full ground.

Roll on Crewe - UTS.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:11 am

PT wrote:Agree with aaaae.

Smith made the right changes. Loads of our players have gone from consistent 7's and 8's out of 10's to 5's and 6's in the last month or so. Downing and Westcarr have probably gone further. The only bloke in our squad who has gone from 7's and 8's to 9's in that time is Mantom and he couldn't play yesterday due to a very excitable official last week. Swapping him for a strangely off radar Featherstone was a big factor yesterday. Unfortunately we don't have £750k players sitting on our bench.

We did alright and created some decent chances and should have had a penalty. Wolves were better and deserved to win. Wouldn't say that they were in cruise control. Three bookings and at least three others that should have been booked plus the potential red card had the ref given the pen suggests they were stretched at times. It was obviously a big game for them and winning meant a lot given the reactions after the goals and at full-time.

Whilst seeing our ground full was a nice change it is always a shame that on such occasions it is half-full with barclays from both sides. If there were any Wolves fans behind our goal they kept themselves very very quiet indeed. Upstairs was full of the once a season brigade who spent the game either impressing us all with Hansen-esque punditry ('can't believe he dropped Mantom as he is so much more effective that Featherstone') or just slagging off the team they'd apparently come to support. Unfortunately, the chap who phoned WM who sat in the "upperer tier" and left after an hour wasn't untypical. The team was so much better than a large wedge of our support yesterday.

Spot on assessment PT.

Salop Saddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:12 pm

We made chances, didn't take them.
They did a job on us as the foul stats would indicate.
Officials missed a blatant penalty.
We have no confidence, they have plenty.
Lots of nutters/glory hunters turned up, lots of nutters/glory hunters will not return until there's some daftness/glory hunting to be had/
Wolves personnel lack class or are simply thick - don't know which.
Some bans required.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:39 am

Salop Saddler wrote:We made chances, didn't take them.
They did a job on us as the foul stats would indicate.
Officials missed a blatant penalty.
We have no confidence, they have plenty.
Lots of nutters/glory hunters turned up, lots of nutters/glory hunters will not return until there's some daftness/glory hunting to be had/
Wolves personnel lack class or are simply thick - don't know which.
Some bans required.

We can't score a penalty at the moment anyway.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:43 am

A fair range of songs from our gold and black neighbours which I could hear a lot more than our own!

Our garden shed...is bigger than this.... yawn, so original

We're top of the league, we're top of the league, we're Wolverhampton we're top of the league well done, how did you manage that on your meagre resources?

I wanna go home.....Walsall's a **** hole, I wanna go home bit rich singing that if you're from Wolvo - pot / kettle

come to see the Wanderers, you've only come to see the Wanderers turned out to be pretty accurate for 3k or so judging by how many have been going to home matches this season, the peak of Saturday and then back to normality for the Crewe attendance

dickory wickery wacky baccy wako sako (or whatever their Sako-Dicko segued chant was) erm, did you really sing "wacky baccy"?

Is there a fire drill? is there a fire drill? vaguely amusing when people leave early

gone to Ikea, you should have gone to Ikea that one actually did make me smile although we were 3-0 down and out by then so I could sit back in frustration not getting too worked up we'd get anything from the game by that stage

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:47 am

They soon shut up when we started singing "We saw your crying on the telly" :lol:

It terms of noise though, I thought Wolves were very disappointing given the numbers they brought.

kshammer
Site Addict

Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:34 am

Is it right that Dicko and Sako scored for them last night or is it a cock and ball story?

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:41 pm

Super Gabor wrote:I wanna go home.....Walsall's a **** hole, I wanna go home bit rich singing that if you're from Wolvo - pot / kettle

When they started singing that my uncle turned to me and said "they're not very bright considering half of them were born and most likely still live in Walsall".

Traitorous Scunthorpe! :twisted:

Whitters
Site Addict

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:20 pm

KoloSaddler wrote:The bloke who went onto the pitch was already banned before from Bescot for setting fire to the Stewards hat at Shrewsbury.

So it takes a lot of effort to apprehend these people, then a lot of effort to come up with suitable punishment.
Then we don't enforce the ban.
So the braindead idiot is free to continue his anti social behaviour.
Is this pathetic or incompetent or what?

Unbelievable.

Previous
Return to 2013-14 Season