Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Coventry City (A) League One Wed Mar 5, 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
MPSADDLER
UTS Regular

Re: Coventry City (A) League One Wed Mar 5, 7.45pm

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:05 pm

Both Sawyers and Westcarr have to be dropped. A common trait of attacking black players is pace and power. These two are the antidote of that with their wishy washy one twos leading to nowhere. Both think they are better than they actually are.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:06 pm

MPSADDLER wrote:Both Sawyers and Westcarr have to be dropped. A common trait of attacking black players is pace and power. These two are the antidote of that with their wishy washy one twos leading to nowhere. Both think they are better than they actually are.

Excuse me?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:07 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
MPSADDLER wrote:Both Sawyers and Westcarr have to be dropped. A common trait of attacking black players is pace and power. These two are the antidote of that with their wishy washy one twos leading to nowhere. Both think they are better than they actually are.

Excuse me?

:D They lazy.

Zaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:07 pm

This season is now over........ Fact. I just pray the dingle bastards don't absolutely destroy us on Saturday. Sadly I think we will be in for a rough ride.

stig231
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:08 pm

leics_saddler wrote:Indeed, I don't think it's quite silly season just yet.
But certainly, we need to have a bit of tinker in March with the merciless run of fixtures.
If 6th becomes a distant fantasy, then we can certainly look at fringe players and other more radical plans then.

Part of the problem is our fringe players.

I know we aint gonna have a squad of 25 league one players but we just aren't good enough to win without say 2 of our first team if everyone isn't putting in at least 8/10 performances, especially against half decent teams.

Someone posted a stat with our poor our record when Featherstone starts. Now this isn't a dig at him, but he will only play when Chambers or Mantom are injured/suspended , so that's without only 1 first team regular.

stig231
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:12 pm

Stand by for the usual from Smith in his post match interview...take your pick from these

Referee's decisions
pleased with the performance
pitch didn't help
scored with their first chance
deserved something from the game
second half reaction was good
thought only one team was gonna go on and win it

gray
Glitterati

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:25 pm

Zaddler wrote:This season is now over........ Fact.

Yeah.......it's not a fact. Peterborough have won 4 of their last 14 games and we are 5 points behind them with 12 games to go. So yeah not really a fact.

stig231
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:38 pm

gray wrote:

Yeah.......it's not a fact. Peterborough have won 4 of their last 14 games and we are 5 points behind them with 12 games to go. So yeah not really a fact.

True,not a fact but not very likely either is it?

How many of our last 14 have we won,,,,err 4 - and only 1 of those 4 was against a team in the top half of tonights table.

Our record v teams in top half P18 W4 D6 L8 Pts 18 ( v top half at home its P9 W2 D3 L5 with Wolves and Orient to come)
Our record v teams in bottom half P16 W8 D5 L3 Pts 29

Ghostofwalsallpast
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:38 pm

Bet Sheffield Utd fans can't believe how things are opening up for them.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:39 pm

gray wrote:

It's not Peterborough you have to worry about, it's Swindon, Mc Dons and Sheffield United.

MPSADDLER
UTS Regular

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:48 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:

Excuse me?

:D They lazy.

On the basis they are slow and weak (against all genetics) they probably have micro penis syndrome too.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:51 pm

clawtheolder wrote:
gray wrote:

It's not Peterborough you have to worry about, it's Swindon, Mc Dons and Sheffield United.

Do we HAVE to worry at all now? The season is over, end of, mid table finish if we are lucky, I am sooo frustrated, we had a chance and its gone beggin. This was a must win match, and they cocked it up, we just aint good enough.
Anybody bold enough to go to witness the mauling on Saturday has to be considered VERY brave. :(

Cully
Site Addict

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:52 pm

Embarrassing post.

JAL-WFC

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:59 pm

The last 30 seconds of that game summed up our season. WE CANT SCORE!

Huffed and puffed but no creativity.

Westcarr needs dropping. Absolutely useless tonight. Static throughout. He is not a striker but any decent footballer knows how to make space by running between defenders, something which Grigg did so well last season. This allowed wide players like Brandy and Patterson to have space to run and create chances. Westcarr's performance at the start of the season were sound, but his form has dropped considerably.

Milan is on something if he thinks he can play any higher than this level. Doesnt have a footballing brain and is another overrated Premiership pre-madonna.

Thought Chambers and Featherstone were solid. There is only so much they can do if the attacking players are clueless.

Swayers had his worst game that I have seen him play. Not at the races today.

Full backs were both bang average. Says a lot that the only goal we scored was from a left back.

Butler was poor. Seems to be lacking confidence. Downing played well second half. Both seem to have resorted to Hutchins-esque hoofball. I blame Westcarr.

We needed to win tonight. Its a shame considering we had such a good opportunity to have a successful season. Never mind though, we are 'over achieving' and should be pleased to avoid relegation :).
If by some miracle we beat the Wolves then happy days as once again doing the double over them is better than having a decent shot at the playoffs.

Let the annual Smith season collapse commence.

stig231
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:00 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Do we HAVE to worry at all now? The season is over, end of, mid table finish if we are lucky, I am sooo frustrated, we had a chance and its gone beggin.

That really is the frustrating thing for me, being so close to the play offs for so much of the season and I honestly don't think we are that far away.

With Peterboro at home to Crewe on Sat then Bristol City on Tues they could well be even further out of sight than they are now by this time next week :(

IHTC.
Site Addict

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:03 pm

Gutless and do not have that winners mentality, that's how I feel about this side at thIS moment due to anger and frustration. 3 poor results against Crawley, MK and Coventry which we should have done a whole lot better considering what is up for grabs. Yes we play great football and have a bunch of kids/ freebies etc but it will/would not take something special to beat Posh to that last P/O place and we have more than likely blown it. Just like last season when it comes to the crunch we do not have what it takes.

Goals wins games and that has been our achilles heal all season, Westcarr aside the whole team has to stand up and be counted and also Smith for not addressing the situation.

Lets hope the disappointment and anger they should be feeling about themselves will spur them on next season.
Last edited by IHTC. on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghostofwalsallpast
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:09 pm

According to his post match interview Deano is "proud" of his players and commented that “Goals change games and that has been the case again tonight". :roll:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:14 pm

Ghostofwalsallpast wrote:According to his post match interview Deano is "proud" of his players and commented that “Goals change games and that has been the case again tonight". :roll:

Haha, yeh goals change games, especially the amount of points you walk away with.

I still like Smith, he's turned us in to a (mostly) attractive football playing side, but these mid season collapses and lack of goals is getting all too familiar now and he has to show that he can push the team on. That's his challenge for the next 12 months

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:18 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Ghostofwalsallpast wrote:According to his post match interview Deano is "proud" of his players and commented that “Goals change games and that has been the case again tonight". :roll:

Haha, yeh goals change games, especially the amount of points you walk away with.

I still like Smith, he's turned us in to a (mostly) attractive football playing side, but these mid season collapses and lack of goals is getting all too familiar now and he has to show that he can push the team on. That's his challenge for the next 12 months

I'm happy that we continue to improve but there are still massive lessons that need to be learned if next season is to continue the upward trend.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:26 pm

Smith would never come on the radio and slamblast his team into the next century unless we'd lost 7-0 or something along those lines. In fairness, we had a go in the second half and only a triple save at the end kept the points in the bag for Coventry. But yes, the lack of goals is worrying. I got openly abused for it during the opening months of the season perhaps fairly so as he produced some excellent performances, including at Notts County recently but Westcarr only plays well in good team performances I feel and frankly, when we are crap - he's often pathetic. His performance at home to PNE was deservedly jeered when he was substituted and Oldham away when he threw a strop also comes to mind, there's plenty of other culprits.

What should be most alarming is that we appear to have slowed our minimal scoring down (even more) and started conceding goals. That needs sorting quickly, hopefully with Taylor coming to fitness and Butler displaying some of his normal attributes. Would it be strange to say, I don't think the Notts County performance helped us? Just dancing through them, openly taking the piss at times like we were playing against school kids. It's when playoff talk and signs of arrogance from the likes of Lalkovic and co started creeping into the team, I hope that's not the case.

Lets get 4 more points and see what date we are on.

The fact Wolves are evens on Saturday to beat us and 7/1 to win by 3 goals or more, is fantastic value IMO.

I must admit, it's going to be horribly depressing when we return to being the Walsall we've all forgotten and being considered legitimate relegation favourites each season. Let's face it, the last 18 months are likely to be a peak on our form guide over the next/last decade, that's if history means anything anyway.

Zaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:35 pm

gray wrote:

Sorry but you are wrong. There are 12 games to go, we will need to win 9 of them to make the play offs..........please tell me in your opinion which 9 that will be. Let's just face facts, we enjoyed the ride and hey we might even do the double over the wolves but the play offs are gone.

stig231
UTS Veteran

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:49 pm

philthesaddler wrote:

Agree with that and really admire what he's trying to do/has done but for a bloke who has spent all his pro career in Lge 1/2 it amazes me that we just don't do the basics well enough of what makes a team successful at this level. I don't mean go all hoofball but keep the good football from box to box and add the missing 10% at either end to give us even more of a chance.

We give away far too many cheap goals yet don't seem to be gifted many by other teams.

Call it gamesmanship in breaking a game up or call it nous to see a game out for a win/draw - either way we don't have it.

With the exception of Andy Taylor our set piece delivery is woeful. You know you are going to get corners/free kicks in dangerous positions say 5 or 6 times per game, thats 200-250 a season! We should at least threaten with some of them, but we don't seem to. Westcarr taking floaty corners, what exactly do we try to achieve with them?

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:06 am

He's full of the pro-licence diatribe just like Dogface used to spout.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:12 am

tinned wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

I'm happy that we continue to improve but there are still massive lessons that need to be learned if next season is to continue the upward trend.

We haven't improved, that's not all down to Dean Smith, he had his best 3 attacking players leave, so it was always going to be a tough ask to be as good as the end of last season. All said and done, we are doing pretty well, and the fact we have been round about the play offs has raised expectation, which isn't a great thing.

However, there are signs of taking a step backwards too. I'd question if Dean Smith (or any Walsall staff) had actually seen Lalkovic or Ngoo play before we signed them. It might not go down to well with some Walsall fans, cos he is from Chelsea and has a sexy name, but Lalkovic's contribution this season has been minimal at best. We finished tonight with Hewitt, and Ngoo up front, if that isn't a throw back to 3 years ago, I don't know what is.

The main problem we are having now is that Downing is in awful form, Taylor has been injured, so basically we can't defend. We couldn't score goals anyway, so we are pretty fudged. Still the best team in the world, and we just might still stick it up the dog heads on Saturday.

We ARE Walsall.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:40 am

Sooooo frustrating, because after we scored they were there for the taking.

It comes back to the fact that over the season, we are punching above our weight and we get our hopes up only to be disappointed. Oh well, should know better.

The ref was an utter clanger.

Just hope we get some sort of result against Wolves, but either way our season is over.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:47 am

It is so frustrating watching the super Saddlers this season. We are so near and yet so far. Tonight's game was all too typical. We had more possession yet Coventry scored with their only two on-target shots of the match although they did hit the cross-bar in the second half. Our style of play appears to be (i) pass the ball across the back four, (ii) work the ball out to the flanks and fanny about with it there, never thinking to play it in early to the penalty-area, (iii) knock the ball back to our defenders who will then hoof it aimlessly up front to our isolated strikers (none of whom can head a ball to save their lives), (iv) repeat over and over again.

I like Benning but he must take part of the blame for both of their goals although he did compensate for this to a degree by creating and scoring our goal (Joe Murphy was not troubled again until stoppage time). O'Donnell had little to do and our other defenders coped well - apart from continually by-passing our midfield with their "passing". J. Chambers and Featherstone worked hard enough in midfield (when our defence let them have the ball - maybe they weren't trusted in the absence of Mantom?). On the flanks, Brandy was up against a player as quick as he was, while Lalkovic was a waste of space. The less said about our "strike force", the better. Sawyers decorates a game rather than influences it. Westcarr was, yet again, rubbish. Quite what some people on this board see in him, I just do not know. He has a poor first touch and cannot head a ball. He IS lazy and can't be arsed to pressurise an opponent. I'm sure that if he broke into a trot, he would have a heart attack. He is only at Walsall because he is all that we can afford and nobody else wanted him!

The first two substitutions (of Lalkovic and Westcarr) were correct but were, yet again, far too late in the game. This is one lesson that Deano does not appear to have learned yet - timing of substitutions.. That said, one of the substitutes, Ngoo, has been a major disappointment. It is easy to see why Yeovil terminated his loan spell early. He is like "Bambi on ice", can't head a ball, despite his great height and does not know when to pass it. Send him back. He adds nothing to our play.

Let's hope that DS and ROK use all their motivational skills to get the team fully wound up for Saturday. They know what it means to our fans and we have enough ex-Baggies players on our books to add a bit of spice to the encounter. Doing a league "double" over the Dingles will not compensate for missing out on the play-offs, if that's what happens, but it will make the disappointment a little more tolerable.

stefano123
UTS Regular

Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:47 am

Cully wrote:

Embarrassing post.

Embarrassing and racist.

IHTC.
Site Addict

Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:52 am

stefano123 wrote:
Cully wrote:

Embarrassing post.

Embarrassing and racist.

I cannot see a racist comment anywhere, please enlighten us. All he has done is wrongly assume most black players are quick and strong.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:23 am

Pedagogue wrote:It is so frustrating watching the super Saddlers this season. We are so near and yet so far. Tonight's game was all too typical. We had more possession yet Coventry scored with their only two on-target shots of the match although they did hit the cross-bar in the second half. Our style of play appears to be (i) pass the ball across the back four, (ii) work the ball out to the flanks and fanny about with it there, never thinking to play it in early to the penalty-area, (iii) knock the ball back to our defenders who will then hoof it aimlessly up front to our isolated strikers (none of whom can head a ball to save their lives), (iv) repeat over and over again.

I like Benning but he must take part of the blame for both of their goals although he did compensate for this to a degree by creating and scoring our goal (Joe Murphy was not troubled again until stoppage time). O'Donnell had little to do and our other defenders coped well - apart from continually by-passing our midfield with their "passing". J. Chambers and Featherstone worked hard enough in midfield (when our defence let them have the ball - maybe they weren't trusted in the absence of Mantom?). On the flanks, Brandy was up against a player as quick as he was, while Lalkovic was a waste of space. The less said about our "strike force", the better. Sawyers decorates a game rather than influences it. Westcarr was, yet again, rubbish. Quite what some people on this board see in him, I just do not know. He has a poor first touch and cannot head a ball. He IS lazy and can't be Arsenal to pressurise an opponent. I'm sure that if he broke into a trot, he would have a heart attack. He is only at Walsall because he is all that we can afford and nobody else wanted him!

The first two substitutions (of Lalkovic and Westcarr) were correct but were, yet again, far too late in the game. This is one lesson that Deano does not appear to have learned yet - timing of substitutions.. That said, one of the substitutes, Ngoo, has been a major disappointment. It is easy to see why Yeovil terminated his loan spell early. He is like "Bambi on ice", can't head a ball, despite his great height and does not know when to pass it. Send him back. He adds nothing to our play.

Let's hope that DS and ROK use all their motivational skills to get the team fully wound up for Saturday. They know what it means to our fans and we have enough ex-Baggies players on our books to add a bit of spice to the encounter. Doing a league "double" over the Dingles will not compensate for missing out on the play-offs, if that's what happens, but it will make the disappointment a little more tolerable.

Wow, and that has never happened in our history ever before has it ? Like 99.99999 % of the players we have ever signed. I actually though you were logged in as someone else when I read that, not like you.

Whilst not the best in the world, and also on a poor run of form ( he isn't the only one by the way) I dread to think where we would have been this season without him, and having someone else in his place who no one else wanted. Hewitt, Ngoo? Parkin, Jarvis, etc etc.

I'm surprised you never mentioned Downing's poor form, which is also another reason for our current poor run, has been woeful lately.

I'm not sure why you or anyone else will be disappointed in missing out on the play offs, and I speak as someone who doesn't think we should just accept relegation battles, mid table, or anything else, we should always strive to be the best we can be, but realistically the truth of the matter is, we just aren't good enough.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:42 am

Having been watching Walsall for 59 years, I am only too aware of the type of player that we can afford to sign. However, even the most limited player can, at least, try his best and look interested. Supporters will often be more tolerant and supportive of a player when things are not going for him providing it is clear that he is trying his best. I'm sorry but watching Westcarr makes me angry. His performance and effort on the pitch is truly appalling. Yes, I know that he had a successful 3 months at the start of the season, but that doesn't justify his poor displays since then. Putting it bluntly, he needs a rocket up his backside!

Downing was not too bad tonight. I think his form suffers when Butler is not at his best.

... and, yes, I will be disappointed if, as seems likely, we miss out on the play-offs again. I want to see Walsall at Wembley before I shuffle off this mortal coil!

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season