Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Notts County (A) League One Sat 25 Jan 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
kshammer
Site Addict

Re: Notts County (A) League One Sat 25 Jan 3pm

Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:26 pm

Just saw the goals on Sky - superb. Westcarr's dinked cross for Brandy's header was a peach.

Holbeach Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:26 pm

And of course our best win of the season, so far, coincides with there being no Football League Show tonight :x

mosaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:31 pm

Holbeach Saddler wrote:And of course our best win of the season, so far, coincides with there being no Football League Show tonight :x

ffs

:cry:

Locky
Glitterati

Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:39 pm

Wragbyred wrote:Listening to radio nottingham they are saying it was 30 shots with 18 on target!
Halfway through the second half someone in front of me said it should be ten, they were wrong it should have been 12 or 13!
I'm being picky after such a performance but some of the chances they missed were criminal.

If that did happen at home we'd be stuffed! Score board only goes up to 9! :D

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:42 pm

Maybe they'd send a bloke up with a number painted on a board, like the old days.

Holbeach Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:57 pm

mosaddler wrote:
Holbeach Saddler wrote:And of course our best win of the season, so far, coincides with there being no Football League Show tonight :x

ffs

:cry:

Happened when we put 6 up Bristol as well :cry:

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:28 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:It was a footballing snuff film.

heh.

i cack you not, a bloke behind me slaughtered us every time we didn't hit the 6th. imagine being pissed off at a 5-1 away demolition of a traditional local rival. musta been ken.

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:42 pm

That ranks as one of the best performances I've seen. Slightly disappointed with just the 5 goals. we ought to have scored about 8. There wasn't a poor performance on the pitch. Thought Mantom was outstanding. Were we that good or were they that bad. Not sure but another super victory.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:44 pm

It's testament to the team that people are disappointed that we 'only' scored five. Superb result which I feel had been a long time coming. With some if the performances we've put in it was only a matter of time before we hammered somebody!

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:44 pm

I think the only dissapointing thing about that was A) We didn't score 12 or more and B) Butler didn't become a centre back hatrick hero.

Otherwise, everything else was sensational. We absolutely battered them in every department and could have scored plenty more than 5.

The front 4 awesome, but my MOTM goes to Mantom - who pinged the ball all over the place, all afternoon with consumate ease.

A truly exceptional performance, one of the best as a Saddlers fan.

saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:10 pm

Fantastic performance today, a long time coming. Meadow lane was emptying before the hour mark :lol: definitely should have been 12, at at least 5-0 at half time- missed some right sitters along the way. Looking forward to Swindon now!

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:24 pm

Excellent performance and the first time I've ever seen them score 5 goals away from home. Credit to Brandy who put away his chances clinically, just like a striker!, excellent all round play and superb defensively always willing to help out, track back - what a difference he has made to the team. I couldn't believe how many chances we made and then missed in the second half when it seemed easier to score but at least we are creating them :D Most fans were talking about the missed chances as we left the ground, it was amazing that we didn't score at least 10 and Butler could have had a hat trick, his last chance was surprising since he perfectly controlled and then set himself up for a volley but slipped at the last moment :( . I would like to give a special mention to Richard O'Donnell who had an excellent game in what were quite tricky conditions, he made a couple of early saves and his kicking and distribution was excellent. I must say I have had my reservations about him but today he put in a faultless display. Great support from our fans as usual, not sure whether they only turn up for away games :wink:

I passed FBIG's beard on the way out, luckily he was attached to it, and his words 'that was AWESOME' just about summed it up.

SMITH IN - PERIOD!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:27 pm

Cully wrote:Excellent performance and the first time I've ever seen them score 5 goals away from home. Credit to Brandy who put away his chances clinically, just like a striker!, excellent all round play and superb defensively always willing to help out, track back - what a difference he has made to the team. I couldn't believe how many chances we made and then missed in the second half when it seemed easier to score but at least we are creating them :D Most fans were talking about the missed chances as we left the ground, it was amazing that we didn't score at least 10 and Butler could have had a hat trick, his last chance was surprising since he perfectly controlled and then set himself up for a volley but slipped at the last moment :( . I would like to give a special mention to Richard O'Donnell who had an excellent game in what were quite tricky conditions, he made a couple of early saves and his kicking and distribution was excellent. I must say I have had my reservations about him but today he put in a faultless display. Great support from our fans as usual, not sure whether they only turn up for away games :wink:

I passed FBIG's beard on the way out, luckily he was attached to it, and his words 'that was AWESOME' just about summed it up.

SMITH IN - PERIOD!

Come now Cullymeister, you don't have to be modest....you had the jumper on again, didn't you? :D

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:50 pm

Had complimentary tickets today in the stand opposite the Walsall fans - they made a load of noise. As to the football we we awesome:

O'Donnell 8 solid all game, poorly positioned for the free kick from where I was sat
Chambers J 9 Kept Grealish quiet all game good distribution as well.
Benning 10 outstanding both defensively and in attack. Looks full of confidence and a different player to the one earlier in the season.
Butler 9 Should have had a hat-trick today but didn't put a foot wrong except for the worst back pass ever in the last few minutes.
Downing 10 immense, great distribution and strong in the tackle and the air. We will be doing very well if he is with us next season.
Chambers A 9 bossed the midfield, does everything quietly but so well. Is the heartbeat of the team.
Mantom - 9 best I've seen him play in a long while. Was excellent going forward and all that was missing was a goal.
Sawyers 7 good link up play but wasted 2/3 good chances to score. Needs to be more clinical.
Brandy 10 perfect hat-trick was sensational with his finishing, which was his weakness last season.
Westcarr 10 superb again. He holds the ball up and lays it off so well and created lots today. The County fans around me still wished they had him.

Baxendale, Purkiss and Featherstone 7 did what they had too and kept everything ticking over - strength in depth.

I took a neutral fan with me and he was very impressed with us, especially how well drilled we were and how players always seemed to know where to find another red shirt. We we're a little bit wasteful at times and 10-1 wouldn't have been beyond us.It's great being a saddler at the moment.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:54 pm

According to Sadsfan, Lalkovic wasn't on the pitch and we played with 10 men.

Makes the 5-1 result a lot better :lol:

Sadsfan
Glitterati

Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:00 pm

Oops! What does that tell you though? Good cross for Brandy's second goal but missed an absolute sitter second half. Jury still out on him.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:31 pm

Well, can't complain about that, can you. Great result to log on to!

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:33 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
Cully wrote:Excellent performance and the first time I've ever seen them score 5 goals away from home. Credit to Brandy who put away his chances clinically, just like a striker!, excellent all round play and superb defensively always willing to help out, track back - what a difference he has made to the team. I couldn't believe how many chances we made and then missed in the second half when it seemed easier to score but at least we are creating them :D Most fans were talking about the missed chances as we left the ground, it was amazing that we didn't score at least 10 and Butler could have had a hat trick, his last chance was surprising since he perfectly controlled and then set himself up for a volley but slipped at the last moment :( . I would like to give a special mention to Richard O'Donnell who had an excellent game in what were quite tricky conditions, he made a couple of early saves and his kicking and distribution was excellent. I must say I have had my reservations about him but today he put in a faultless display. Great support from our fans as usual, not sure whether they only turn up for away games :wink:

SMITH IN - PERIOD!

Come now Cullymeister, you don't have to be modest....you had the jumper on again, didn't you? :D

Actually I had my lucky cap on today, a rather fetching speckled grey together with an Oxford blue linen shirt, white silk scarf and some spats.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:50 pm

Don't think I have ever been to a game seen us win 5-1 and come away feeling disappointed. We should have rewrote record books with the number of chances and good chances at that we missed.
It shows how far this team has come that County will be thinking they got off lightly with a 5-1 beating. It might seem like I'm having a petty moan but it really should have been 10 or 12 goals today.

m&m
Glitterati

Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:52 pm

A truly magnificent result today.Totally gutted to have missed it though.

Just one question though.Sky sports reported a goal by Westcarr to make it 6-1 only to correct it about a minute later. I have seen this before as a change to the scorer but never to chalk off a goal.Can anybody explain what happened there?

On another point it will be criminal if the good folk of Walsall do not come out to at least the tune of 5k on tuesday evening to support this team.What more do they want.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:28 pm

m&m wrote:What more do they want.

A new striker, Kevin Phillips, Chips, A new scoreboard, An new owner, A new stadium, James Walker, Westcarr to leave, Coventry to implode to name but a few!

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:40 pm

Was going to post a mossive one but Cully summed it up well . Great day to be a Saddler but never ever had the feeling of walking out after scoring so many and being a bit disappointed ??? Our finishing at times was woeful but hey we scored five and was such a joy to watch our boys rip em another rear end. :lol: link up play was amazing. Tackling on a wet pitch top notch. Every player did their job and more. Love this team and feel if they stay together we really have something 8)
Up the Saddlers forever xxxx
Ps wife for once wasn't a bad luck charm but I think it's our baby in her belly that made the difference !! Bump is the new lucky charm and is a Saddler in waiting !!!

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:45 pm

ChopperWFC wrote:Was going to post a mossive one but Cully summed it up well . Great day to be a Saddler but never ever had the feeling of walking out after scoring so many and being a bit disappointed ??? Our finishing at times was woeful but hey we scored five and was such a joy to watch our boys rip em another rear end. :lol: link up play was amazing. Tackling on a wet pitch top notch. Every player did their job and more. Love this team and feel if they stay together we really have something 8)
Up the Saddlers forever xxxx
Ps wife for once wasn't a bad luck charm but I think it's our baby in her belly that made the difference !! Bump is the new lucky charm and is a Saddler in waiting !!!

One tip (i've got a 13 week old) - they love it when you sing Walsall songs. My lad's fave is "woke up this morning feeling fine, got Walsall FC on my mind..."

Having a future Saddler is great.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:50 pm

kshammer wrote:
sallian wrote:
kshammer wrote:
sallian wrote:Many of you clueless sheep must be disapponted with this performance/score

TOO MANY GOALS FOR YOU?

TOO MANY SHOTS?

This isn't the way to play football and win games is it...

Think.... Notts Co. only have to score 4 now to win this game.

What a troll I am, I wish I was as smart as some of you.

Walsall have obviously been trying not to shoot or score in previous games. :roll:

Moron.

You obviously don't get the point.

In many games they don't shoot ENOUGH and don't shoot early ENOUGH.....and don't MAKE THE ASSISTING PASS early enough.

And people on this board....have argued against me calling for more goals....and have even suggested the changes of tactics to bring that about would DAMAGE their style of play.

But go back to your name calling.

From the man who called everyone clueless sheep... :roll:

You say things about shooting more, passing more as if it as easy as just doing it... like we are deliberately not doing it. Have you ever actually played or watched a game? Sometimes the opposition prevent you from scoring. Sometimes they prevent you from assisting. Sometimes your team takes a while to click.

I am talking about passing when you CAN pass, crossing when you CAN, running off the ball is ALWAYS possible.

And not over-passing, over dribbling when you DON'T HAVE TO and when it is better NOT TO.

I am talking about shooting when there ARE opportunities to shoot etc.

Yes have played and watched football for 30yrs. Only played at a lower level because I was busy doing more important things....but on not playing at a higher level I am full of regrets (but no doubt you will say that is delusional).

cumbria-saddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:51 pm

Think I must be the only one who wasn't in a good mood today.

Got a taxi to the station, the driver was slow and took ages to give me my change.. Missed my train by a few minutes.
Got to Crewe earlier than the next connection, then missed that train by a matter of seconds...
Found a train that got to Nottingham at 3.05, so decided it was still worth it to miss the first few minutes..
Managed to get to Derby, and found out all trains to Nottingham were cancelled (I was told this was going on until 2 at the latest, this was at half 2).
Bloke told me to get a public bus to Nottingham rather than the replacement one for the trains, but I wouldn't have got there until at least half time.

And of all the games to miss I missed that! :evil:

Bonser/Smith/Westcarr/Dog Face Out.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:53 pm

kevin wrote:
sallian wrote:
If we had only one shot on target we couldn't have scored 3 goals.

Three own goals don't count then ?

In the context of what I was discussing that reply is silly, so I hope you just being silly and not trying to make a point.

And in reality, the opposition would have scored them for us if they were own goals. We wouldn't be praising a team's attacking prowess who won a game only due to own goals!

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:56 pm

m&m wrote:A truly magnificent result today.Totally gutted to have missed it though.

Just one question though.Sky sports reported a goal by Westcarr to make it 6-1 only to correct it about a minute later. I have seen this before as a change to the scorer but never to chalk off a goal.Can anybody explain what happened there?

On another point it will be criminal if the good folk of Walsall do not come out to at least the tune of 5k on tuesday evening to support this team.What more do they want.

They probably assumed one of the many unbelievably easy chances we had when we were already 5-1 up would go in.

Very strange feeling tonight. we won 5-1 which is obviously amazing and beyond any wildest dream and yet it could so easily have been double figures, there's a slight sense of anti-climax. I'm sure I can't be the only one who is disappointed we only got 5. And I'm fully aware of how absurd that sounds.

Best time in over a decade to be a saddler. Fully expect a sub 4k crowd on Tuesday night then
Last edited by Andy_Petterson on Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:57 pm

cumbria-saddler wrote:Think I must be the only one who wasn't in a good mood today.

Got a taxi to the station, the driver was slow and took ages to give me my change.. Missed my train by a few minutes.
Got to Crewe earlier than the next connection, then missed that train by a matter of seconds...
Found a train that got to Nottingham at 3.05, so decided it was still worth it to miss the first few minutes..
Managed to get to Derby, and found out all trains to Nottingham were cancelled (I was told this was going on until 2 at the latest, this was at half 2).
Bloke told me to get a public bus to Nottingham rather than the replacement one for the trains, but I wouldn't have got there until at least half time.

And of all the games to miss I missed that! :evil:

Bonser/Smith/Westcarr/Dog Face Out.

Sorry to hear that. Hope it doesn't stop you coming to the next away game

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:57 pm

kshammer wrote:
sallian wrote:on target strike rate for both teams combined has dropped to 76%

Notts county are now more accurate than us but have not had enough shots and their accuracy has not been penetrative

You speak about football like C3-PO would.

C3PO would make a good manager....he can speak many languages (good for foreign players) and would understand the logic and mathematical side of things (like many here don't!)

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:58 pm

Kshammer can't wait to tell her/he all about how bad or brilliant we are come Saturday night . Turned to wifey today and said THIS is why I'm a Saddler we are toss 90% of the time but we get days like this and my god it's worth it :D
Up the Saddlers ( 13 weeks and bump ) forever !!!!!

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season