Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Tranmere Rovers (A) League One Sat 11th Jan 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
saddlersam
UTS Legend

Re: Tranmere Rovers (A) League One Sat 11th Jan 3pm

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:05 am

Andy_Petterson wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:Nothing wrong with that result. UTS

On the whole, agreed.

It is to much of a simplistic statement though. We were winning with 12 minutes left and heading in to the top 6.Psychologically we have to do that at some point, every time we get close we let it slip. We threw 2 points away at Gillingham, so the off day at Bristol became even more of a problem. It's not down to a lack of fitness, our team is very fit, it's more a concentration thing, and sometimes attitude also. We should be disappointed not to win the game, if we're not, then it's mid table mediocrity again. Which in itself isn't a bad thing, but we can improve without signing a single player.

Nonsense.

Firstly if we get in the top six it's a bonus this season.

Secondly, it's irrelevant how long we spend in the top 6 this season. It only matters if we are there at 5PM on 3rd May.

Why i it simply a bonus? When does it go from being a bonus to a realistic aim and why shouldn't that be this season?

saddlerbishoff

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:35 am

Went to the game - seen a few away this season for a change. Again a good turnout as 10% of the home gate in early January deserves some praise. Season ticket holder since the 60's and we are potentially one of the best footballing squads in that time. That Deano and ROK have done that on a budget is a superb performance,
Let's get the externals covered first. The ref was abysmal. Not even fit. Clearly a homer on decisions. 3 Yellows to us is just ridiculous and none to them despite them targeting Milan in the second half. How do they get these jobs and what does the assessor say?
We were excellent first half and they looked poor. Again however we didn't kill them off when we were on top.
Second half after a rousting from Ronnie Moore they were sent out early and got stuck in. Suddenly we were not at the races apart from the back 4 and we stopped winning any 50/50 balls in their half. Apart from Milan.
However matches can turn on substitutes. Last time out bringing Westcarr on at half time was spot on and helped us win the match. Yesterday bringing Gray on (despite the correct exit for Hemmings) gave them the game. At least Hemmings will track back and tackle and cover with James C. Gray lopes around aimlessly avoiding contact as much as possible and their goal opportunity came from him doing exactly that. No doubt he looks good in 5 a side inside in the warm. Outside in January on a heavy pitch against opposition who are fighting relegation he is a liability and Deano needs to recognise that. Not many thought it a great idea to have Gray back again. He doesn't deserve a contract imo.
Romaine and Westcarr stopped operating in the second half and even worse Romaine started jumping out of tackles.
Given where we were in the second half the first sub should have been Featherstone to try to calm and hold the ball and start to play our pass and hold game. On that basis we could have won it.
Just one moan. Why does Westcarr take the corners now? It makes no sense to me to take out the tallest bloke from the goal area to attack a ball. If he was brilliant at it I could understand. When he puts a corner straight into the goalkeepers arms in the last few minutes when we are going for the winner sums it up.
Don't finish on a negative though. If Deano brings in a couple of loan players in the right positions we could still get in the play off spots. One in the eye for the bookies.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:35 am

saddlersam wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:

On the whole, agreed.

It is to much of a simplistic statement though. We were winning with 12 minutes left and heading in to the top 6.Psychologically we have to do that at some point, every time we get close we let it slip. We threw 2 points away at Gillingham, so the off day at Bristol became even more of a problem. It's not down to a lack of fitness, our team is very fit, it's more a concentration thing, and sometimes attitude also. We should be disappointed not to win the game, if we're not, then it's mid table mediocrity again. Which in itself isn't a bad thing, but we can improve without signing a single player.

Nonsense.

Secondly, it's irrelevant how long we spend in the top 6 this season. It only matters if we are there at 5PM on 3rd May.

Why i it simply a bonus? When does it go from being a bonus to a realistic aim and why shouldn't that be this season?

Because being 1 point off the play offs and aiming to finish the season 1 place higher in the league is unrealistic and will put unnecessary pressure on the players. We're ruining this club with our high expectations [ANGRY FACE]

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:54 am

I don't buy the nonsense we should be "grateful" why should we ?

We are doing well, playing some decent stuff, it's enjoyable to go to games. Excuse me if I don't jizz myself though.

I've followed Walsall religiously through all of the rubbish they've thrown at us over the yerars, 16 straight defeats, I went to every one of them. In the early 90s once the novelty of moving to a new ground had worn off (about 3 games) crowds began to get down to 3000 and less, the football was some of the worst I've ever seen in the football league (not just us, but the rest of the division) I was on a yts at the time (Terrible schemes they were) £30 a week, my Dad was out of work for 8 months because no one was building houses anymore. We used to scrape our money together to go to the match, walk it from Pelsall, and back, to watch the biggest shower of cack you've ever seen. No one wanted to come, all the ones who were there every week when David Kelly was banging in the goals, suddenly didn't fancy it anymore. I'd still do the same today, don't tell me I need to be "grateful" for anything, they owe me much more than I'll ever know then. The £14 me and my old man used to pay every home game helped keep this club going, when they hadn't got a pot to piss in.

Quite frankly what you are saying is nonsense, and your passive aggressive comments to me just make me think it's either pmt, or a midlife crisis. I've forgot more about what following Walsall is all about than you will ever know.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:03 pm

saddlersam wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:

On the whole, agreed.

Nonsense.

Because many other teams in this division have more resources than Walsall. Given that they are also trying to maximize their chances of winning and getting promotion it follows that for Walsall to succeed they have outperform relative to their resources. To me that is a bonus. It is beyond what is expected.

Current Walsall odds to get TOP 6 finish are about 3/1. Rationally this means we shouldn't EXPECT Walsall to make the playoffs. Of course this is a very different thing to hoping they make the playoffs

There is then the further point about whether promotion would be that great for the club at the minute. perhaps that's a debate for another thread. But take a look where Bournemouth, Sheff Wed, Charlton, Doncaster, Yeovil currently reside in the championship table.

Besides this whole argument started because a draw away with Tranmere apparently wasnt good enough for a top 6 finish.For me it's a perfectly acceptable result even if you are chasing automatic promotion. It's what the DIngles got after all and there's no denying they will finish at least top 4 this season.
Last edited by Andy_Petterson on Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:05 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:I don't buy the nonsense we should be "grateful" why should we ?

We are doing well, playing some decent stuff, it's enjoyable to go to games. Excuse me if I don't jizz myself though.

I've followed Walsall religiously through all of the rubbish they've thrown at us over the yerars, 16 straight defeats, I went to every one of them. In the early 90s once the novelty of moving to a new ground had worn off (about 3 games) crowds began to get down to 3000 and less, the football was some of the worst I've ever seen in the football league (not just us, but the rest of the division) I was on a yts at the time (Terrible schemes they were) £30 a week, my Dad was out of work for 8 months because no one was building houses anymore. We used to scrape our money together to go to the match, walk it from Pelsall, and back, to watch the biggest shower of eartha you've ever seen. No one wanted to come, all the ones who were there every week when David Kelly was banging in the goals, suddenly didn't fancy it anymore. I'd still do the same today, don't tell me I need to be "grateful" for anything, they owe me much more than I'll ever know then. The £14 me and my old man used to pay every home game helped keep this club going, when they hadn't got a pot to gypsy's in.

Quite frankly what you are saying is nonsense, and your passive aggressive comments to me just make me think it's either pmt, or a midlife crisis. I've forgot more about what following Walsall is all about than you will ever know.

I don't want to get into an argument with you. Respect for following the saddlers for 34 years. That makes you alright in my book.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:01 pm

brummie saddler wrote:
WarsawPact wrote:
The Walsall lot were embarrassing standing in the middle of the road offering people out, shaven heads and bomber jackets. All looked to be in their very late 40s/50s acting like it was 1984 not 2014

Some trouble outside 'The Clipper', apparantly

Walsall blokes were not offering out random innocent people.

anyone who was in the clipper will know that a group of 'casuals' was lurking around the pub for a fair while, Walsall fans were aware but didn't let it bother them, until.... the group come in and called it on to the Walsall fans and left the pub, Walsall fans left the pub and seen them off as all but 1 of them where half way up the street.

no one other then the group of lads got any aggro.

I think its the same with Sheffield Wednesday, thinking its little Walsall so they can take liberties.

fair play to the chaps, let them know this wasn't the case and at the same time kept it under wraps, didn't go chasing them or smacking one silly lad who stood on his own.

no doubt some do- gooder will tell me im encouraging violence and im a dreg of society zzz

p.s not one punch was thrown.

Thanks for that Brummie. I knew something had happened and that seems to clear it up.

I think this board is partly about providing this kind of information. In an earlier post it looks like the most important representatives of our club (i.e the supporters) had been unwittingly mis-represented by someone who just saw the end of it. You, having seen it all, have set that straight - which is good.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:14 pm

One of the more frustrating Jekyll & Hyde performances in recent times.
First half, we controlled the game. Dominated the ball, the territory and possession. Tranmere put what can only be described as one of the worst performance of a home team I can remember seeing since we returned to league 1. They didn't attack or threaten, frequently hoofed it aimlessly out of play under no pressure and didn't register a shot on target, they were horrific and correctly boo'd off at half time. I knew at half time the second half wouldn't be the same and I also knew a proper playoff team would have had the game won at half time. We didn't create anything again despite being in control, bar the goal (a wonder goal) and a Westcarr chance 1 moment later, that he did well with but should have buried. Lalkovic had so much time in the first half, I knew the second half would see him man-marked by 3 or 4 Moore oafs.

Second half, they won all the 50-50's, we started bottling challenges, getting beaten in the air, beaten to every second ball and Tranmere rightfully, without creating a great deal took a point. O'Donnell was absolutely crap for there goal, no mistake about it - it's his fault we didn't win the game, but it's the teams fault for playing with an attitude in the second half like we'd won the game or were out of sight - with a 1 goal lead. We lost control of the game in the middle of the park and I thought Chambers in particular was absolutely anonymous in there.

On to the players. Hemmings finally got his start, but pranced around doing sweet FA all afternoon. One of his angering lazy, performances which are precisely why he was dropped last season. I see why Smith doesn't want to play him if he's going to do that. Taylor seems to have lost some of his zest going forward which makes him look about 50% the full back. I have noticed however, when Lalkovic wants the ball he doesn't want to work down the line, he CONSTANTLY wants to cut in and either pass into the centre or run with the ball, it leaves us a little flat down the left hand side and it's why a left footed player should play there - that's no criticism of Lalkovic who continues to look our only outfield threat. Westcarr ran hard and played a nice ball to Sawyers in the first half, but was totally anonymous otherwise - and floaty corners? Sawyers tried getting into the game, but kept giving the ball away. Sawyers plays in a languid style, when it comes off it looks classy and brillant, when it don't, he looks like Michael Ricketts number 2, a lazy lump. Downing and Butler were fine as normal, James Chambers tried attacking. Chambers was anonymous, whilst Mantom ticked things over nicely. Our attacking players bar Lalkovic were all horrific yesterday. Hemmings, Westcarr, Sawyers, Taylor, Mantom, Chambers.

What really griped me about yesterday is, for the first time in a long time we seemed to believe our own hype. That we'd dominated the first half and didn't need to turn up for the second half. We bottled challenges, didn't scrap or win any headers and then lost all attacking urgency. I can handle being beaten by a better side, but 'giving up' and playing asif you'v won at 1-0 is inexcusable. Butler seemed really pissed off at the end. Shrugging his shoulders to the other players asif to say 'what the fudge was that' and then discussing something with 3 or 4 coaches as he walked off. I suspect he may have unleashed in the changing room. Hope that provides fire for some sort of 'fightback' next week.

Given our late Feb and March fixtures, I had ear-marked yesterday as a MUST WIN 3 points and to gift those points gift wrapped back to them is precisely why, we will finish between 11th and 8th rather than higher.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:19 pm

Thought your crew looked pretty tasty yesterday, PT. Very clever to have a youngster with a Scouse accent acting as your eyes and ears in enemy territory. And that older face with the white hair looked handy. Few awed whispers going around at the back that "Terrace Man" was in attendance. Gave everyone a lift, I thought.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:43 pm

PT wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:
WarsawPact wrote:
The Walsall lot were embarrassing standing in the middle of the road offering people out, shaven heads and bomber jackets. All looked to be in their very late 40s/50s acting like it was 1984 not 2014

Some trouble outside 'The Clipper', apparantly

Walsall blokes were not offering out random innocent people.

anyone who was in the clipper will know that a group of 'casuals' was lurking around the pub for a fair while, Walsall fans were aware but didn't let it bother them, until.... the group come in and called it on to the Walsall fans and left the pub, Walsall fans left the pub and seen them off as all but 1 of them where half way up the street.

no one other then the group of lads got any aggro.

I think its the same with Sheffield Wednesday, thinking its little Walsall so they can take liberties.

fair play to the chaps, let them know this wasn't the case and at the same time kept it under wraps, didn't go chasing them or smacking one silly lad who stood on his own.

no doubt some do- gooder will tell me im encouraging violence and im a dreg of society zzz

p.s not one punch was thrown.

Thanks for that Brummie. I knew something had happened and that seems to clear it up.

I think this board is partly about providing this kind of information. In an earlier post it looks like the most important representatives of our club (i.e the supporters) had been unwittingly mis-represented by someone who just saw the end of it. You, having seen it all, have set that straight - which is good.

thanks PT.

I could just see the 'Walsall morons' comments coming in there droves so I felt I should let people know what really happened.

guess you cant do right from wrong when you have an admirer like my own ay.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:46 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
KoloSaddler wrote:Sounds well exciting Brummie .... not.

I love how he uses the lingo. Pwoper nawty.

sorry I will remember to use my middle class tongue to avoid ridicule, sorry to offend your smug self sir x

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:50 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:I don't buy the nonsense we should be "grateful" why should we ?

I've followed Walsall religiously through all of the rubbish they've thrown at us over the yerars, 16 straight defeats, I went to every one of them. In the early 90s once the novelty of moving to a new ground had worn off (about 3 games) crowds began to get down to 3000 and less, the football was some of the worst I've ever seen in the football league (not just us, but the rest of the division) I was on a yts at the time (Terrible schemes they were) £30 a week, my Dad was out of work for 8 months because no one was building houses anymore. We used to scrape our money together to go to the match, walk it from Pelsall, and back, to watch the biggest shower of eartha you've ever seen. No one wanted to come, all the ones who were there every week when David Kelly was banging in the goals, suddenly didn't fancy it anymore. I'd still do the same today, don't tell me I need to be "grateful" for anything, they owe me much more than I'll ever know then. The £14 me and my old man used to pay every home game helped keep this club going, when they hadn't got a pot to gypsy's in.

I don't want to get into an argument with you. Respect for following the saddlers for 34 years. That makes you alright in my book.

Peace.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:00 pm

Will take a point away - always good in my opinion

It is important not to get beat and keep confidence and momentum going

There is still a kong way to go and I think we are looking consistent which should mean we will be in with a shout come May

PT
Site Addict

Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:12 pm

bangsection wrote:Thought your crew looked pretty tasty yesterday, PT. Very clever to have a youngster with a Scouse accent acting as your eyes and ears in enemy territory. And that older face with the white hair looked handy. Few awed whispers going around at the back that "Terrace Man" was in attendance. Gave everyone a lift, I thought.

:lol: :lol:

Let's have this right, going off-side on someone else's manor always merits a good blend of old heads and up-and-comers otherwise you get mugged-off good and proper. Or something.

Terrace Man sat, still disappointed that he couldn't make the fans forum in the week to make the stand on standing.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:34 pm

PT wrote:
bangsection wrote:Thought your crew looked pretty tasty yesterday, PT. Very clever to have a youngster with a Scouse accent acting as your eyes and ears in enemy territory. And that older face with the white hair looked handy. Few awed whispers going around at the back that "Terrace Man" was in attendance. Gave everyone a lift, I thought.

:lol: :lol:

Let's have this right, going off-side on someone else's manor always merits a good blend of old heads and up-and-comers otherwise you get mugged-off good and proper. Or something.

Terrace Man sat, still disappointed that he couldn't make the fans forum in the week to make the stand on standing.

I did miss him.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:26 pm

i don't like to blame refs too often, but he was the biggest influence on yesterday's result. we can ask only for consistency, but it was as if each team had their own ref yesterday, tranmere's looking to give the benefit of the doubt, ours coming down hard on anything. early on their number 10 came straight through our man from behind, no attempt to win the ball. it wasn't hard, malicious nor dangerous, but it was a straight red. result: goal kick. after the 1st soft yellow (taylor's looked a good tackle), butler had a word with the ref, pointing to the spot where their unpunished foul occurred. to no avail.

we weren't very good though, all over the pitch, but it would be different against 10 men who didn't have carte blanche to foul. the keeper can't be happy with the goal, it was hit early but went through him. he did come off his line to pluck a high ball out the air and looked commanding doing it, so a good sign there.

with tranmere pressing and defending so high up the pitch, it was ideal for pace to exploit the space at the back. featherstone is the best passer of a long ball at the club, and should have been considered as sawyers was very deep and uncharacteristically poor. his radar was out, more the weight than the direction of his passing, which is usually so good.

wonder goal by milan, i just wish he'd use his pace over his tricks more often, charging into the box and committing defenders like brandy did last season - we all saw the results. a point away is reasonable, but tranmere were poor. still, we're about where we need to be.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:12 pm

It was another game where a lack of true ruthlessness in the final third cost us. Tranmere were never going to be as bad in the second half as they were in the first, but we only have ourselves to blame for not having a two or three goal cushion at half time.

Lalkovic took the Mickey out of them in the first half, so they roughed him up after half time and we looked a bit lost going forward, in what turned into a scrappy game. I've said it elsewhere, but Smith told us what he thinks of Hewitt by not starting him despite him playing against Sheffield Utd in the last game. We need a replacement who's actually good enough to make a difference.

A point isn't a bad result at all, but results like that mean we stay in the 'unlikely to make the playoffs' category, rather than genuine contenders.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:35 pm

We-ARE-Walsall wrote:I've followed Walsall religiously through all of the rubbish they've thrown at us over the yerars, 16 straight defeats, I went to every one of them. In the early 90s once the novelty of moving to a new ground had worn off (about 3 games) crowds began to get down to 3000 and less, the football was some of the worst I've ever seen in the football league (not just us, but the rest of the division) I was on a yts at the time (Terrible schemes they were) £30 a week, my Dad was out of work for 8 months because no one was building houses anymore. We used to scrape our money together to go to the match, walk it from Pelsall, and back, to watch the biggest shower of eartha you've ever seen. No one wanted to come, all the ones who were there every week when David Kelly was banging in the goals, suddenly didn't fancy it any more. I'd still do the same today, don't tell me I need to be "grateful" for anything, they owe me much more than I'll ever know then. The £14 me and my old man used to pay every home game helped keep this club going, when they hadn't got a pot to gypsy's in.

Fair point but its the same for every supporter. Is supporting most clubs not a thankless, expensive hobby? I had an idea before I signed up and just have a little more appreciation for what Dean is achieving having been through a lot of what you describe above.

You seem to be a credible and interesting supporter & unlike Sallian etc I enjoy reading your posts - so for that alone I have a lot of time for you. Doesn't mean we have to agree though!

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:16 pm

Should never turn your nose up at a point away from home, but still I was disappointed, as whenever we get a chance to break into the top six we seem to blow it.

We played well for 30 mins and probably should have been two up. However at the end of the first and for most of the second half Tranmere were able to disrupt our game and we struggled to keep the ball, which isn't like this Walsall team at all.

I think we'd of been better off if Sawyers had been replaced by Featherstone. He wasn't having a good game and the latter is very good at keeping hold of the ball, something we needed in this game.

I like Saywers but he seems a bit lightweight for his size, often looks like he backs out of challenges he would win if he used his body properly.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:24 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
We-ARE-Walsall wrote:I've followed Walsall religiously through all of the rubbish they've thrown at us over the yerars, 16 straight defeats, I went to every one of them. In the early 90s once the novelty of moving to a new ground had worn off (about 3 games) crowds began to get down to 3000 and less, the football was some of the worst I've ever seen in the football league (not just us, but the rest of the division) I was on a yts at the time (Terrible schemes they were) £30 a week, my Dad was out of work for 8 months because no one was building houses anymore. We used to scrape our money together to go to the match, walk it from Pelsall, and back, to watch the biggest shower of eartha you've ever seen. No one wanted to come, all the ones who were there every week when David Kelly was banging in the goals, suddenly didn't fancy it any more. I'd still do the same today, don't tell me I need to be "grateful" for anything, they owe me much more than I'll ever know then. The £14 me and my old man used to pay every home game helped keep this club going, when they hadn't got a pot to gypsy's in.

Fair point but its the same for every supporter. Is supporting most clubs not a thankless, expensive hobby? I had an idea before I signed up and just have a little more appreciation for what Dean is achieving having been through a lot of what you describe above.

You seem to be a credible and interesting supporter & unlike Sallian etc I enjoy reading your posts - so for that alone I have a lot of time for you. Doesn't mean we have to agree though!

Nope, of course you don't, I have my own ideas how things should be, everyone else got their own, I'm fine with that. I do appreciate what Dean is doing by the way, I really do I think that is lost in translation, probably my poor translation. I don't think just because he is doing well, we shouldn't be able to discuss where we could improve. I don't think feeling a little disappointed that we didn't win a game when we were winning 1-0 with 12 minutes left is over the top to be honest.

I'm fine with what ever people want to think, anyone is capable of their own opinion, I wont be talked down to though , whether my opinions are misguided or just wrong, I've earned my respect as a Walsall supporter, and I appreciate every single person that pays to go and watch us, and keeps our club alive.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:08 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Cully wrote:I have been persuaded to attend tomorrow and will wear a combination of clothing guaranteed to produce A SHOCK AND AWE performance from Smith and O'Kelly's team.

Shaven head and Bomber jacket was it, Cully :D

Well no but read on.......

Apart from Lalkovic's performance and goal the main highlight was the halftime choice of the DJ who played 'Fireball' by Deep Purple.....it nearly brought a tear to my eye as I was transported back to the early seventies, long hair, loon pants, denim shirt and a pint of err.............. brown and mild. :? Good times :D

The football, Lalkovic apart..................terrible performance by Sawyers, he's a big girl and the referee was the worst I have seen this season.
The supporters..................excellent as usual apart from the usual suspects behind me slagging off Westcarr.
The ground.............well I quite like it, eccentric shaped stands, pointless stewarding and chips!

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:15 pm

wfc & chips wrote:i don't like to blame refs too often, but he was the biggest influence on yesterday's result. we can ask only for consistency, but it was as if each team had their own ref yesterday, tranmere's looking to give the benefit of the doubt, ours coming down hard on anything. early on their number 10 came straight through our man from behind, no attempt to win the ball. it wasn't hard, malicious nor dangerous, but it was a straight red. result: goal kick. after the 1st soft yellow (taylor's looked a good tackle), butler had a word with the ref, pointing to the spot where their unpunished foul occurred. to no avail.

we weren't very good though, all over the pitch, but it would be different against 10 men who didn't have carte blanche to foul. the keeper can't be happy with the goal, it was hit early but went through him. he did come off his line to pluck a high ball out the air and looked commanding doing it, so a good sign there.

with tranmere pressing and defending so high up the pitch, it was ideal for pace to exploit the space at the back. featherstone is the best passer of a long ball at the club, and should have been considered as sawyers was very deep and uncharacteristically poor. his radar was out, more the weight than the direction of his passing, which is usually so good.

wonder goal by milan, i just wish he'd use his pace over his tricks more often, charging into the box and committing defenders like brandy did last season - we all saw the results. a point away is reasonable, but tranmere were poor. still, we're about where we need to be.

Good report, better than mine................put it on the front page. All the stuff about players, position and playoffs is pretty pointless, we were what we were................mid table.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:28 pm

cully wrote:The ground.............well I quite like it, eccentric shaped stands,

I agree. I always think Prenton Park is what Fellows Park could have been had we not moved and gone for redevelopment.

The end we were in yesterday even has a Hilary Street style slant to it. The railway end at FP probably couldn't have been quite as big as the other end at PP but the old cowsheds at FP could have been bigger than that stand to our left yesterday.

Spotland and Gigg Lane are other grounds that I like for pretty much the same reasons.

Previous
Return to 2013-14 Season