Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Tranmere Rovers (A) League One Sat 11th Jan 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Re: Tranmere Rovers (A) League One Sat 11th Jan 3pm

Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:58 pm

Why are we so cursed at Prenton Park

We just never win there :(

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:59 pm

Even Mick Kearns picks up on the fact only scoring 1 means we are failing to kill off teams but still a point away from home is always valuable and we are still within touching distance of the playoffs thanks to peterboroughs spectacular run of bad form.

Onwards and upwards I believe we can bounce back and take all 3 against Oldham next weekend UTS
Last edited by SaddlerCraig on Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:59 pm

bigbadsad wrote:2 points dropped lets get brandy back

Here we go

Again...

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:18 pm

Well after that disappointment, I'm sure the 440 travelling fans will be desperate for a strong drink and a haircut.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:20 pm

SaddlerCraig wrote:take all 3 against Oldham next weekend UTS

It's on Tuesday :wink:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:35 pm

SaddlerCraig wrote:Even Mick Kearns picks up on the fact only scoring 1 means we are failing to kill off teams but still a point away from home is always valuable and we are still within touching distance of the playoffs thanks to peterboroughs spectacular run of bad form.

It's a fair point about the lack of goals - if we'd managed to score 2 goals a few more times this season we'd be comfortably in the playoffs.

I hope Smith sees this and is planning to bring another attacking option in because we're in such a strong position going in to the 2nd half of the season.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:42 pm

It's not moaning to say that letting this opportunity slip just for the sake of strengthening our attacking options would be shameful.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:49 pm

tinned wrote:It's not moaning to say that letting this opportunity slip just for the sake of strengthening our attacking options would be shameful.

If that happens, I think it's not clear whose decision that is. Is Smith unwilling to disrupt the squad? Is there no real money available? Or is there a total lack of options out there?

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:51 pm

Dean Smith + Misguided Walsall supporters principle - "THE FIRST GOAL IS THE KEY".............'tis wrongeth

Sallian: "First goal doth not a winner make"

Sallian: "Score ye more goals than thy opposition to standeth a victor"

shoot, shoot, shoot.....practice, shoot

cross, cross, cross.....pass early SHOOT!

Before the match, have the intention "I am going to score ten in each half"

PT
Site Addict

Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:52 pm

There's loads to be positive about at Walsall at the moment. With that positivity comes publicity, some of it generated by ourselves sometimes by others. The big danger is when we start believing our own publicity and allow it to affect our performance.

Today, to me was a case in point. It was always going to be a tough game against a turgid team on a heavy pitch. First half, all to plan. Knocking the ball about nicely as advertised and scoring a great goal. Having been so superior, according to our own press the second half should have been a formality. But......Tranmere were dogged and determined and despite us continually banging on about Jon Whitney's ability to turn players into physical machines, they were also fitter than us. As the effect of the pitch took its toll, they got stronger and we got weaker and the equaliser felt inevitable when it came. We allowed their bloke to turn on the edge of our box and I think it deflected in.

Our injury record is no doubt testimony to the work that Whitney does but another reason we don't have injuries is that nearly half of our team are not prepared to risk getting hurt. Today was a day for bodies on the line but some just aren't prepared to do it. Others definitely are, but we need them all to be if they are to turn their footballing talent into the kind of results that will see us in the top six. Two points from the last three away games isn't good enough. The ref didn't help today, in fact he was useless - how we managed to end with three yellows and they had none is a mystery.

Today, wasn't a disaster, the result isn't a disaster - we're in a really good position but we need to dig out wins on days like today against teams like Tranmere. I hope it starts at home on Tuesday. Onwards and upwards.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:52 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
tinned wrote:It's not moaning to say that letting this opportunity slip just for the sake of strengthening our attacking options would be shameful.

If that happens, I think it's not clear whose decision that is. Is Smith unwilling to disrupt the squad? Is there no real money available? Or is there a total lack of options out there?

Gamble said that there's money to spend, but it's in Smith's hands to spend it, and his alone.

Gillingham and Tranmere now where we've dropped the chance to go into the top 6.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:53 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
SaddlerCraig wrote:Even Mick Kearns picks up on the fact only scoring 1 means we are failing to kill off teams but still a point away from home is always valuable and we are still within touching distance of the playoffs thanks to peterboroughs spectacular run of bad form.

It's a fair point about the lack of goals - if we'd managed to score 2 goals a few more times this season we'd be comfortably in the playoffs.

I hope Smith sees this and is planning to bring another attacking option in because we're in such a strong position going in to the 2nd half of the season.

stop being a troll, be grateful we didn't lose...this is the best to be hoped for.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:55 pm

PT wrote: but we need to dig out wins on days like today against teams like Tranmere.

stop being a troll

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:56 pm

Just accept things, stop being a troll

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:56 pm

sallian wrote:
stop being a troll.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:58 pm

aaaae wrote:

you are setting people up for disappointment if that isn't achieved and indirectly implying the team and manager under-achieve if they don't win....stop being a troll

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:00 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:Well after that disappointment, I'm sure the 440 travelling fans will be desperate for a strong drink and a haircut.

don't use the word 'disappointment' in relation to anything Walsall players, manager or connected results do......stop being a troll

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:01 pm

I found Smiths comments on WM a little bizarre when asked about strengthening the team up front. He said that our players were getting into scoring positions and why do we need a new forward who will make those same runs!

I would imagine it should be with a view to putting some of them away Dean! I don't expect him to say something derogatory about the squad, but to say what he did was daft. A case of better to say nothing.

A point isn't a disaster, but disappointing to see when we don't score first we struggle to out score opposition, and when we do score first we struggle to hold onto a lead.

2 home games coming up, chance to make a real statement about our intentions for the season.

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:01 pm

SaddlerCraig wrote:Even Mick Kearns picks up on the fact only scoring 1 means we are failing to kill off teams

Don't repeat any negative assessment....stop being a troll

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:03 pm

ToeJoe Jnr wrote:I found Smiths comments on WM a little bizarre when asked about strengthening the team up front. He said that our players were getting into scoring positions and why do we need a new forward who will make those same runs!

I would imagine it should be with a view to putting some of them away Dean! I don't expect him to say something derogatory about the squad, but to say what he did was daft. A case of better to say nothing.

A point isn't a disaster, but disappointing to see when we don't score first we struggle to out score opposition, and when we do score first we struggle to hold onto a lead.

Don't create any doubts about the manager's assessments and understanding.....stop being a troll

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:05 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:Why are we so cursed at Prenton Park

We just never win there :(

Abstain from the propagation of negative superstition....stop being a troll

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:08 pm

Holbeach Saddler wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
sallian wrote:Some of you were saying Lalkovic should go and is rubbish.....

I said a long time age he needs to stay and that he is the most capable of scoring and opening up defences (although his decision making is often poor).

Sallian is right................. again.

More like first time for everything :roll:

Read the notice :- Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Your condemnation of those prolonging the life of those who make any critical assessments by arguing with them......was not strong enough.....which makes you indirectly part of those giving life to doubters, ....stop being a troll

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:10 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
sallian wrote:
stop being a troll.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

By posting 25 of these :lol: it seems you are indirectly mocking Walsall's attack and management by showing how prolific you are at posting emoticon faces in comparison to Walsall scoring on the pitch.....stop being a troll

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:21 pm

Disappointed with the result after listening to the first half on Sadsworld. Two points from 3 winnable away games may prove to be costly come the end of the season.

UTS

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:25 pm

I know an attack is not just based on shot statistics but:-

9 attempts for the whole match.....one shot ever 10 mnutes is woeful!

3 shots on target for the whole match....one shot on target every half an hour......its nowhere near good enough even for a team at the bottom of the table.

One of the best defending teams while being one of the worst attacking teams, what a combination!

Didn't one of the previous managers introduce some computerised video analysis software or something? I think Dean Smith badly needs that to wake up to the reality.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:32 pm

sallian wrote:I know an attack is not just based on shot statistics but:-

3 shots on target for the whole match....one shot on target every half an hour......its nowhere near good enough even for a team at the bottom of the table.

One of the best defending teams while being one of the worst attacking teams, what a combination!

Didn't one of the previous managers introduce some computerised video analysis software or something? I think Dean Smith badly needs that to wake up to the reality.

Fella, you are losing credibility with some of this nonsense. I agree with some of the stuff you write, but do yourself a favour and try some balance. Smith is doing a great job. I am sure that he knows more than anyone where we need to strengthen.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:39 pm

The Walsall lot were embarrassing standing in the middle of the road offering people out, shaven heads and bomber jackets. All looked to be in their very late 40s/50s acting like it was 1984 not 2014

Some trouble outside 'The Clipper', apparantly

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:43 pm

aaaae wrote:

Whoops think that one deserves a whoosh being a season ticket holder I should really remember that the fixtures are on my calender :D

Regarding the attack saddlers player seemed to suggest a lot of close and nearly shots so we are making the runs and space but need someone to make that finish I think we just need to coach the players to try shots rather then look elsewhere as who do we seriously expect to sign as a striker any proven striker goes for ridiculous money or is contracted elsewhere so it generally has to be a kid or a out of favour striker.

All the people calling for a new striker I would say get some realistic suggestions rather then just blaming Smith I'm still over the moon us being where we are right now anymore would just be an amazing bonus.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:58 pm

Cully wrote:I have been persuaded to attend tomorrow and will wear a combination of clothing guaranteed to produce A SHOCK AND AWE performance from Smith and O'Kelly's team.

Shaven head and Bomber jacket was it, Cully :D

sallian
Glitterati

Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:15 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
sallian wrote:I know an attack is not just based on shot statistics but:-

Fella, you are losing credibility with some of this nonsense. I agree with some of the stuff you write, but do yourself a favour and try some balance. Smith is doing a great job. I am sure that he knows more than anyone where we need to strengthen.

Apart from the last line about computer analysis, which one of the managers DID INTRODUCE....(but I was being sarcastic about needing that) what part of that post was nonsense?!

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season