Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield Utd (H) League One, Wed Jan 1st 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
saddlersam
UTS Legend

Re: Sheffield Utd (H) League One, Wed Jan 1st 3pm

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:41 am

PT wrote:That was very satisfying indeed.

Love beating these - a great way to start 2014.

I thought about you when that second goal went in. I think we should give you 5 minutes in the next pod just to solely describe the moment!

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:49 am

Wyrley_saddler wrote:Loved it when the referee had given them a free kick just inside their half and the ball went to O'Donnell on the edge of his area. He just picked it up and waited for one of their players to come collect it

Yep, I think it was in direct response to their keeper doing it a couple of times too. I thought it hadn't been picked up but I guess O'Donnell had it duly noted.

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:55 pm

Only problem with the gamesmanship or time wasting if you prefer is I think the refs are much more likely to add it on to injury time. I understand it can break the momentum of the opposition but it sure does kill the nerves when 5 mins added goes up !!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:26 pm

5 mins went up because all subs were used (30 seconds per sub), and they add time on for goals scored, plus anything else. I don't know why people always moan about injury time added on when at the matches, as it's usually warranted.

As others have said, a very satisfying win, especially after going behind. Clough can moan all he likes about the pen that was given, just as we can moan about the larger number that weren't in the first half. Clumsy oafs.

Glad made a statement to Baxendale by taking him off at half time. It might sink in more than just dropping him, that has been needed for a few weeks at least.

If anyone still doubts what Westcarr gives us, then they weren't there yesterday. The whole team improved second half, but he was the one that pulled it all together, even further out wide. In fact his crossing ability is very useful, and I'd be tempted to keep him out there and Hewitt up top.

As PT says, Hewitt doesn't put himself about as much as he could, but he keeps defenders occupied to give others space elsewhere, then they can do the business.

I'm glad Gray is now getting more game time, he's always had goalscoring ability and although he missed that chance yesterday, he's not afraid to have a pop. Him popping up with second half goals, such as at Gillingham is going to help us kill teams off.

The table is looking good, although the longer it goes on, the more it looks like only one or two play-off places will be available. The Bristol City performance and the late goal at Gillingham are the points that could cost us, otherwise we'd be right up there.

Nothing an experienced aged goal poacher wouldn't fix. Is Jimmy Greaves still alive?

kshammer
Site Addict

Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:06 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:If anyone still doubts what Westcarr gives us, then they weren't there yesterday. The whole team improved second half, but he was the one that pulled it all together, even further out wide. In fact his crossing ability is very useful, and I'd be tempted to keep him out there and Hewitt up top.

Agreed.

He admits he's not a number 9 himself and always looks better playing off a striker, be it last year behind Grigg (although that role is not available with Sawyers) or out on the right. He also added a bit of presence up top that gave their defenders something to think about - it was too easy for them against just Hewitt (even though he did try hard).

Westcarr rules.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:18 pm

saddlersam wrote:

I thought about you when that second goal went in. I think we should give you 5 minutes in the next pod just to solely describe the moment!

Is anyone certain that is was definitely Andy Taylor and not PT that put in the challenge on Brandy?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:40 pm

saddlersam wrote:

Next pod will be a group barclays.

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:03 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
saddlersam wrote:

Next pod will be a group barclays.

I'll race you.

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:07 pm

kshammer wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:If anyone still doubts what Westcarr gives us, then they weren't there yesterday. The whole team improved second half, but he was the one that pulled it all together, even further out wide. In fact his crossing ability is very useful, and I'd be tempted to keep him out there and Hewitt up top.

Agreed.

He admits he's not a number 9 himself and always looks better playing off a striker, be it last year behind Grigg (although that role is not available with Sawyers) or out on the right. He also added a bit of presence up top that gave their defenders something to think about - it was too easy for them against just Hewitt (even though he did try hard).

Westcarr rules.

Depends on the opposition for me. Playing a team with a marauding attacking left side then we'd be better off with a (granted, low in confidence) Baxendale who will at least harry and chase, helping out our full back if we're on the back foot. If they're not so strong in those positions then I think Westcarr in for Baxendale as MMF says is a good idea.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:41 pm

One player whose performance yesterday hasn't been spoken about a great deal is Lalkovic. I've been critical of him this season, but he's really turning into a proper Walsall player who battles for the cause, fits into the way we play, and is learning when to take his man on and when to play the ball simple. He still has a tendency to overdo things at times, but seems to have found a bit of consistency in his performances.

A month ago I'd have said I'd quite happily send him back at the end of his loan, but I've definitely changed my mind about that now.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:47 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:One player whose performance yesterday hasn't been spoken about a great deal is Lalkovic. I've been critical of him this season, but he's really turning into a proper Walsall player who battles for the cause, fits into the way we play, and is learning when to take his man on and when to play the ball simple. He still has a tendency to overdo things at times, but seems to have found a bit of consistency in his performances.

A month ago I'd have said I'd quite happily send him back at the end of his loan, but I've definitely changed my mind about that now.

So have I, but not based on yesterday's performance. I thought he was quiet, apart from that one decent run and shot, nothing much of note.

kshammer
Site Addict

Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:03 am

WFC_Rob wrote:One player whose performance yesterday hasn't been spoken about a great deal is Lalkovic. I've been critical of him this season, but he's really turning into a proper Walsall player who battles for the cause, fits into the way we play, and is learning when to take his man on and when to play the ball simple. He still has a tendency to overdo things at times, but seems to have found a bit of consistency in his performances.

He had improved alot and is one of those players with that spark which makes you believe they can create something at any moment, putting opposition defenders on the back foot.

Saying that, I could have throttled him when he messed around on the edge of our box. :mrgreen:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:11 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

So have I, but not based on yesterday's performance. I thought he was quiet, apart from that one decent run and shot, nothing much of note.

Same, and he elected not the pass to a clean through Hewitt in the first half, instead shooting into a defenders legs again. I like the confidence but he still is a poor decision maker at times.

He did put a shift in though, which is nice to see from a "flair" player.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:55 pm

latviancheese wrote:He did put a shift in though, which is nice to see from a "flair" player.

That was the bit that impressed me most. We know he's probably the most technically-gifted player we have, but he's also combined that with a willingness to work really hard. I wouldn't go as far as saying I think we'll sign him in the summer, but he clearly enjoys playing for us.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:00 pm

Lalkovic this year seems to be doing the same as brandy last year getting better as the season moves on

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:15 pm

Cowshed wrote:Lalkovic this year seems to be doing the same as brandy last year getting better as the season moves on

That goes for the whole team. It's confidence and familiarity with team mates I reckon.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:57 am

Its just Westcarr carrying this squad.

He comes on does the PUM PUM PLEX

We win.

Nuff said.

PUM PUM

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:35 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
latviancheese wrote:He did put a shift in though, which is nice to see from a "flair" player.

That was the bit that impressed me most. We know he's probably the most technically-gifted player we have, but he's also combined that with a willingness to work really hard. I wouldn't go as far as saying I think we'll sign him in the summer, but he clearly enjoys playing for us.

He is certainly not the most 'technically' gifted player we have.

Don't you remember all the offsides he kept getting caught out with?

He's learning his trade though and Deano will make him better; add value an' all that.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:57 pm

Leatherman wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

He is certainly not the most 'technically' gifted player we have.

Don't you remember all the offsides he kept getting caught out with?

He's learning his trade though and Deano will make him better; add value an' all that.

Being offside is nothing to do with technical ability - it's a concentration and awareness thing. Still stand by what I said before - possibly with the exception of Sawyers.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:31 pm

Yes, great with the ball at his feet, his skill isnt in question really. His brain needs some work though...

SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:39 pm

we're gonna have to improve for the tranmere game it's like the lads didn't even turn up today :lol:

Awful joke aside this was one of those classic games of 2 halves one of the most dire first halves I've seen us play for a while followed by one of our best halves you couldn't make it up,
nice to see Chambers get recognition on soccer am this morning first league goal in a 15 year career and what a way to start was a beauty of a goal.

Im Glad Deano made a statement to Baxendale by taking him off at half time. It might just give him a kick up the arse to improve or maybe deano will realise that bax isn't a winger and give Gray (who looked a real threat) some more game time or reincorporate hemmings into the team.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:15 am

On the Gillingham thread is this quote from a regular poster:

"A FIRST GOAL & SECOND GOAL DOTH NOT A WINNER MAKE

Anyone wanna buy a 'Sallian is wrong!' T-shirt? :D

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:38 am

i think sawers may be better technically, control under pressure is a step above for league one.

sallian
Glitterati

Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:14 pm

Exile wrote:On the Gillingham thread is this quote from a regular poster:

heed ye of little cognizance....still righteth am I.

"One more goal than thy opposition doth a victor maketh"

Knoweth ye the subtleties between the maxim generalis and the maxim particularis......

If the statement was wrong, Sheff. Utd. would have conceded victory as soon as second goal scored....but they did not do such BECAUSE:-

"A FIRST GOAL & SECOND GOAL DOTH NOT A WINNER MAKE"

Now young lad, hoist thy Sallian T-Shirt upon your back with the letters of correctitude...."SALLIAN IS RIGHT"

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:41 pm

sallian wrote:
Exile wrote:On the Gillingham thread is this quote from a regular poster:

heed ye of little cognizance....still righteth am I.

"One more goal than thy opposition doth a victor maketh"

Knoweth ye the subtleties between the maxim generalis and the maxim particularis......

If the statement was wrong, Sheff. Utd. would have conceded victory as soon as second goal scored....but they did not do such BECAUSE:-

"A FIRST GOAL & SECOND GOAL DOTH NOT A WINNER MAKE"

Now young lad, hoist thy Sallian T-Shirt upon your back with the letters of correctitude...."SALLIAN IS RIGHT"

I suppose it would make a change from 'Brenda is a good fudge'.

Previous
Return to 2013-14 Season