Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Gillingham (A) Sun Dec 29th League One, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
SaddlerCraig
UTS Veteran

Re: Gillingham (A) Sun Dec 29th League One, 3pm

Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:50 pm

2-2

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:51 pm

fudge sake!

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

:x

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Gotta love us.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:52 pm

Managed to curse hideously without waking the baby. Jurassic Park.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:53 pm

ft 2-2

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:57 pm

You will not see Sallian on this website any time today :roll:

PT
Site Addict

Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:28 pm

Sounds like a good game between two mid-table 3rd division teams. In fact Gillingham vs Walsall is probably the archetypal 3rd division game.

It's a shame about the late equaliser as the live table looked very nice for the two minutes we were leading and would have probably added a couple of hundred onto Wednesday's gate.

But - we just aren't ruthless enough at either end to be anything other than an 8th - 15th team. Something we may have given our right arms for at the beginning of Smith's tenure but would now represent a "satisfactory" and no more. Of course Smith has the opportunity to add that ruthless streak in January but I suspect he won't because anyone who continues to pick Baxendale doesn't see things the way the rest of us do - not saying Baxo is a bad player or that three years was a mistake but he's been going through a bad patch for about six weeks now and needs a break.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:32 pm

Apparently Butler pulled down McDonald and we stopped because we thought we had conceded a penalty (would have been 3rd in 3 games) but McDonald got back up and scored. O'Donnell was the only one who tried to stop him apparently so kudos to him. Typical Walsall eh? Fistpumping in the car to an atmosphere you could cut with a knife in a matter of minutes. Donald.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:39 pm

Sounds like a fair result, even though when you score in the 90th you should see the game out, at any level

Having scored a few today, the defence has let us down today by the sounds of it. Grrrrr

TheSwift
Glitterati

Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:40 pm

http://www.bescotbanter.net/2013/12/smi ... lable.html

http://www.bescotbanter.net/p/rumour-mill.html

On the other note of transfer business, look at the first link. A subtle way perhaps of saying we might get someone in.

On the second link is a nice rumour. Also heard he was training with us earlier this month to keep match fitness.

sandysaddler
UTS Regular

Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:56 pm

clearly need to make a quality signing in jan window, surely if there was money in the pot to offer grigg a 4 year deal then even without his transfer fee there should be money in the pot for a replacement even if only on loan!

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:29 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:You will not see Sallian on this website any time today :roll:

HULLOOOOO, HULLOOOOOOOO.

I was expecting Gillingham to win 1-0....and as seeing as Gillingham got the VITAL, MAGESTIC, MYSTERIOUS 'FIRST GOAL' it was impossible for Walsall to win.

mid-table is calling.....followed by relegation zone calling. Like I said before.....all games are going to be a struggle when scoring two goal is such a rarity.

4 shots on target for 90mins. one threat to goal every 23 minutes.....very exciting for the fans who paid their money at the ground and on travel.

ANOTHER REASON why you need to base your game on scoring MANY GOALS EVERY MATCH...is that your defence will fail sometimes.

Not getting a striker soon enough can mean by the time you get him in....there are too many other problems that have arisen, so he no longer makes a difference.

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:31 pm

latviancheese wrote:Sounds like a fair result, even though when you score in the 90th you should see the game out, at any level

Having scored a few today, the defence has let us down today by the sounds of it. Grrrrr

No they scored a couple not a few, if they concentrated more on scoring a few....they would have won.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:31 pm

TheSwift wrote:http://www.bescotbanter.net/2013/12/smith-insists-i-have-got-funds-available.html

On the other note of transfer business, look at the first link. A subtle way perhaps of saying we might get someone in.

On the second link is a nice rumour. Also heard he was training with us earlier this month to keep match fitness.

If the Phillips rumour is true I think he would prefer us to the dingles as he says he wants to play out the last 4 months,he would spend most of the time on the bench for Wolves.

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:34 pm

WarsawPact wrote:
TheSwift wrote:If we don't score today, after utterly dominating then I'm afraid we might have the record daily singular post count broken by Sallian.

One of a group of contributors whose posts, I cor be Arsenal'd to read

If you don't read my posts then you won't learn from your mistakes and from my accurate assessments.

2 goals such a rarity for them....but they have not learned about MAXIMIZING goalscoring. A lowly club will often score 2 goals...so 2 isn't enough.

mid-table followed by relegation zone is calling.
Last edited by sallian on Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:36 pm

latviancheese wrote:2-0 defeat.

that was a good guess, half right. And you can't be blamed for not predicting the rare momentous occasion of Walsall scoring 2 goals.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:46 pm

sandysaddler wrote:clearly need to make a quality signing in jan window, surely if there was money in the pot to offer grigg a 4 year deal then even without his transfer fee there should be money in the pot for a replacement even if only on loan!

I would think the money earmarked for Grigg has gone on Baxendales & Mantoms contracts

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:I expect to see a Sallian post completely reversing his theory that if the other team scores first then Walsall are without hope.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let me educate you on my theory that is so accurate it's almost a fact.

First principle....Dean Smith thinks 'the first goal is important' which demonstrates he never expects his team to score many goals...and suggests his hopes of victory are based much on not conceding any goals....a very risky basis to build a strategy upon. HE SHOULD INSTEAD CONCENTRATE ON SCORING THE FIRST GOAL AND A SHIP LOAD OF GOALS, WHETHER THEY HAVE GONE ONE UP OR ONE DOWN OR WHATEVER THE SCORE IS.....YOU WIN BY SCORING MORE GOALS THAN THE OTHERS.....NOT BY THE FIRST GOAL.

Second principle....Walsall are so goal-shy, shot-conservative, chance creating-retarded....and low goal scoring....that if they DO go a goal down.....At ANY STAGE in the match....they are HIGHLY UNLIKELY to win that match......So Dean Smith's 'sacred first goal' becomes a self fulfilling philosophy...when applied to the OPPOSITION SCORING FIRST.

So was I proven wrong today? No. I expected Gillingham to win 1-0. When Gillingham went 1-0 up...I thought WALSALL WILL NOT WIN NOW (because they struggle to score) and I was right. So go and get your SALLIAN IS RIGHT T-shirt printed, stand upon the brecon beacons and say "A FIRST GOAL & SECOND GOAL DOTH NOT A WINNER MAKE"

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:56 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:
TheSwift wrote:http://www.bescotbanter.net/2013/12/smith-insists-i-have-got-funds-available.html

If the Phillips rumour is true I think he would prefer us to the dingles as he says he wants to play out the last 4 months,he would spend most of the time on the bench for Wolves.

One thing you can be sure of and that is if you offer a player more money to sit on the bench, he will take it.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:56 pm

No matter, Brentford's fee for Grigg will not have been spent yet.

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:01 pm

If this is true they should sign him for 3 seasons. Even if he was 45 I think he would still be much more effective than anyone else we have.

Dean Smith needs to lose another false maxim 'young junk is better than elderly quality' it isn't. Walsall should have signed David Kelly as a player not as assistant coach....or even Richard O'Kelly.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:03 pm

we've scored 2 twice in the last 3.

bax with an assist.

anything else need correcting?

TheSwift
Glitterati

Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:05 pm

http://fuimright.com/

Sallian, do you run this website? You do seem to think you are the fountain of all knowledge.

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:06 pm

ChopperWFC wrote:I've got over the Bristol performance ( only just though ) and after looking at the table we are still in this. A win today won't be easy but its essential . We know we can do it just depends on which Walsall turns up !! Whatever the result would still like to see a couple of new faces brought in to lift the squad. Pacey winger and a goal hanger please. Think bax needs a rest and Hemmings in.
Score line ?? Saddlers to edge it 0-1 with a Shrews like performance
Up the Saddlers forever !!

that was heart rather than head.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:07 pm

sallian wrote:

If this is true they should sign him for 3 seasons. Even if he was 45 I think he would still be much more effective than anyone else we have.

Dean Smith needs to lose another false maxim 'young junk is better than elderly quality' it isn't. Walsall should have signed David Kelly as a player not as assistant coach....or even Richard O'Kelly.

He says he wants to play his 'final months of his career' closer to home. I guess he will be retiring come the end of the season.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:08 pm

sallian wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:I expect to see a Sallian post completely reversing his theory that if the other team scores first then Walsall are without hope.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

...Walsall are so goal-shy, shot-conservative,

So how does that stack up with today's FACTS in that Walsall had almost TWICE as many shots as Gillingham, and MORE on target than Gillingham?

Start being a real supporter, and not a doom-and-gloom know-it-all. Better still, don't bother posting at all.

sallian
Glitterati

Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:14 pm

TheSwift wrote:http://fuimright.com/

Sallian, do you run this website? You do seem to think you are the fountain of all knowledge.

[Moderated.....links posted to non-existent websites]

PT
Site Addict

Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:14 pm

sandysaddler wrote:clearly need to make a quality signing in jan window, surely if there was money in the pot to offer grigg a 4 year deal then even without his transfer fee there should be money in the pot for a replacement even if only on loan!

I think it depends on what you mean by "need". If we want to be in with any chance of promotion then I agree that we "need" to make that quality signing.

I'd like us to go for it. I'd love to see us at Wembley and I'd die a happy man if I saw us win at Wembley. I don't think we'd have a prayer of staying up. The days of clubs with 5/6,000 crowds sticking in the second division have gone. You need 10,000 regular home fans as a minimum to be a second division club these days and we're woefully short on that score. Bonser wouldn't gamble again and I wouldn't want him to as we'd end up four or five million in his debt rather than the current score. We'd go from having a small division three budget to an embarrassing division two budget where our only hope would be a relegation with dignity (a la Graydon's first season or what Yeovil are up to this year). I'd take that all day long but I'm not sure that the 2,000 returning fans would or indeed half of those who attend now. It would bring a pressure onto Smith and a re-emerging focus onto Bonser.

So yes, we need a quality signing if we are to have even a hope of the play-offs. But do the club need or want promotion?

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:18 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
sallian wrote:

...Walsall are so goal-shy, shot-conservative,

So how does that stack up with today's FACTS in that Walsall had almost TWICE as many shots as Gillingham, and MORE on target than Gillingham?

Start being a real supporter, and not a doom-and-gloom know-it-all. Better still, don't bother posting at all.

In the interests of balance BBC stats state......

Gillingham 9 shots - 5 on target [I assume 2 of the other 4 off target 'shots' were the headers which hit the bar!] Walsall 15 shots - 4 on target [11 missed].

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season