Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol City (A) Thurs Dec 26th League One 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
sallian
Glitterati

Re: Bristol City (A) Thurs Dec 26th League One 3pm

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:36 pm

Delves Saddler wrote: One thing I will say about the bloke harping on about the lack of goals, guess what pal, we all see it! However because the rest of us aren't freaking out and saying we play the wrong kind of football and making snide remarks about what the team are and aren't doing on the training ground because the reality is none of us have access to the training ground to see and the ludicrous comment that forwards at any club of any level don't practice shooting drills as well as artfully dodging a comment asking where you are on here when we win just proves that you're a troll because you never give any balance in your opinions.

The aim is not to give balance in one post, but say what needs to be said.....people get confused and forget too many points. And if one thing isn't emphasized...then they wont correct their bad behaviour.

I have credited Dean Smith in many posts and think the club is better with him for various reasons (history with the club, good man-management skills, defensive knowledge, does get Walsall to try and pass the ball around, defend well as a team under him etc)

But he is lacking ideas in improving the attack....its not just about the absence of a quality striker.

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:37 pm

All the negative posters seem to jump on this board within SECONDS of a questionable result.

Draw your own conclusions......

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:39 pm

sallian wrote:
wfc & chips wrote:
sallian wrote:
wfc & chips wrote:
sallian wrote:0-1....THE FIRST GOAL which means Walsall can't win now as can hardly ever score two goals and are psychologically defeated after conceding the FIRST GOAL due to their own wrong philosophy backed up by some supporters who encourage that philosophy.

This is why the play offs are NOT going to be reached....0-1 to the bottom club and very doubtful they will score two....even though there is a WHOLE HALF left.

where were you when we were winning?

At Fellows Park getting an autograph off of David Kelly....David Kelly even now would do better than Walsall 'strikers' I am beginning to think that they mean 'striking' as in not going to work, not doing the job they were paid for...rather than its traditional football meaning.

there's been zip on here from you the last fortnight, i repeat my question.

The cat got my tongue

pussy excuse.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:40 pm

....and that is why we won't get in the play offs.

Will the club stick or twist and sign a striker?

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:42 pm

wfc & chips wrote:pussy excuse.

Yep. Basically there is no excuse.

Tiresome bore that only is interested when we lose.

Cully
Site Addict

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:42 pm

sallian wrote:
Cully wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:An attacking option.... Hemmings on for Baxendale, 63 min. Good move!!!

No idea why Baxendale has been playing for the last two months.............ineffective and weak player.......probably only made the team because of Smith's stubbornness to drop a player who he gave a three year contract to. He has been the worst player for the last four games I have watched.

Not surprised we're losing since Smith has obviously not understood Bangsections onerous but cunning team tactic that we should score one more than the opposition score. I have to say that perhaps he may have an excuse insofar as he hasn't the necessary qualifications in Applied Maths.............I am therefore willing to offer my valuable time and arrange private tuition to enable him to grasp the basic fundamentals, failing that he can borrow my lucky cap and jumper.

Baxendale often looks like one of the few players who can make something happen...he has a bit of trickery, neatness and animation, but the team is so wasteful as a whole going forward that they don't benefit enough from his input which gets stunted prematurely.

Don't disagree with his ability, but we have seen glimpses only occasionally. He has regularly failed to reproduce any decent form, often being anonymous at the start of the game and the predictable switching between wings with Lalkovic never appears to help his cause. It is also irritating to see him given priority at free kicks and corners when players like Westcarr and Taylor produce more danger when they take them.

Cully
Site Addict

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:44 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:All the negative posters seem to jump on this board within SECONDS of a questionable result.

Got anything positive to say apart from moaning about other peoples opinions and posts or are you a troll?

PT
Site Addict

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:45 pm

Neuromantic wrote:....and that is why we won't get in the play offs.

Agree and I think we'll stick.

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:47 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:The trolling of match threads during and after a defeat is monotonous. Not really worth picking through the hysterical over reaction, unfunny sarcasm and banal pseudo intellectualism to find the occasional comment of worth

Lets all be hippies then, all we need is love and false hope....even if we lose every game because we can't score.....

At games I don't give audible negativity to the players. Encouragement and positive motivation should come from supporters at the ground I agree.

But the POSITIVE ENCOURAGEMENT from coaching staff to these players should not consist of "Don't worry son, you are doing the right thing" rather it should consist of "Go out there and score ten a game young lad, be a goal machine, terminator" And they are not doing this so they are getting low output due to low ambition charge. Low expectations and standards = LOW OUTPUT, POOR RESULTS

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:47 pm

Cully wrote:
funk_hits_the_fan wrote:All the negative posters seem to jump on this board within SECONDS of a questionable result.

Got anything positive to say apart from moaning about other peoples opinions and posts or are you a troll?

Yeah I'm a troll :roll:

I'll wait to hear or see the opinions of those that have been to the game before making any qualified judgement.

All I see now is tiresome, uneducated hysteria.

Cully
Site Addict

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:49 pm

Neuromantic wrote:....and that is why we won't get in the play offs.

I know you know it's not that simple Metfanwy :D but you will realise that Smith is not very flexible in both his actions and deeds.

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:51 pm

sallian wrote:
Cully wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:An attacking option.... Hemmings on for Baxendale, 63 min. Good move!!!

No idea why Baxendale has been playing for the last two months.............ineffective and weak player.......probably only made the team because of Smith's stubbornness to drop a player who he gave a three year contract to. He has been the worst player for the last four games I have watched.

Not surprised we're losing since Smith has obviously not understood Bangsections onerous but cunning team tactic that we should score one more than the opposition score. I have to say that perhaps he may have an excuse insofar as he hasn't the necessary qualifications in Applied Maths.............I am therefore willing to offer my valuable time and arrange private tuition to enable him to grasp the basic fundamentals, failing that he can borrow my lucky cap and jumper.

Baxendale often looks like one of the few players who can make something happen...he has a bit of trickery, neatness and animation, but the team is so wasteful as a whole going forward that they don't benefit enough from his input which gets stunted prematurely.

i agree that baxendale's supposed lack of confidence and form is overstated.

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:52 pm

wfc & chips wrote:where were you when we were winning?

We win so rarely, like we score so rarely...that when it happens my neuro-mechanical apparatus fails to recognize it and dismisses it as an error in reporting. A bit like the way MS-Windows only recognizes Windows and is blind to Linux.

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:00 pm

The funny thing is you are all miserable and negative after the defeat but you claim it is just me who is negative. We just have different ways of showing it, I direct my frustration at the lack of goal scoring efforts and strategy...and some you direct your -defeat-frustration at me for mentioning what you are in denial about.

If we all recognize the problem, we have more chance of it being solved. Dean Smith is getting mixed messages from this board when he reads it.

One or two wise people on here advise him to concentrate on much greater goalscoring ambition and effort. Change is needed where something isn't working sufficiently enough to maintain success.

While others on here say, 'If we keep diving in the swimming pool, one day the water wont make us wet' i.e. Its not working but if we keep doing the same thing it will work.

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:09 pm

I said a few weeks back that Walsall will not find it easy against any teams in the division and will struggle to win any of their games as they can't score.

Many of you were expecting a nice run of wins against 'easier teams'

I am just reminding you that I am right and was right and was right about this long before any of you spotted an attacking problem.

Why is this? Because if you put one of my brain cells on one side of the scale...and all of your brains on the other side of the scale, my single brain cell would outweigh all of yours. But I don't blame you for that, I'm sure some of you have other good attributes....intelligence and sound judgement isn't everything.

You can wear 'Sallian knows best' T shirts at the next match if you want as a form of contrition.

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:17 pm

I need somewhere to vent my disappointment...I've had enough of punching walls and biting myself. If I can't do it here maybe this proves that Pelsall are the real 'Sall after all. Because a real Sall would allow the outpouring of the pains of the soul.

Wragbyred
Glitterati

Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:48 pm

sallian wrote:

I need somewhere to vent my disappointment...I've had enough of punching walls and biting myself. If I can't do it here maybe this proves that Pelsall are the real 'Sall after all. Because a real Sall would allow the outpouring of the pains of the soul.

But then again you could renounce your love for the Saddlers and form a (hopefully) endless relationship with the mighty Villa(Pelsall that is)
P.S. I dont normally bother with trolls, but had a bad day at the races and need to take it out on someone

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:55 pm

Wragbyred wrote:P.S. I dont normally bother with trolls, but had a bad day at the races and need to take it out on someone

I am not a troll I am a human being....but I can understand you considering me a paranormal entity in your presence.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:37 pm

We are so consistently inconsistent it is shocking.

Same old Walsall, loads of possession, some brilliant and great build up play... but the moment the ball gets near the penalty area, we play it backwards since we have no out and out striker and always look to pass it into the net.

Personally, on the balance of possession and who was in control of the game for the longest time, I would say a draw would be more deserving - but I won't. We didn't do anything with the possession we had, and also lacked the two championship quality strikers that Bristol have.

Also, £3.70 for a burger? Pfffft.

m&m
Glitterati

Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:06 pm

Just back in from a totally inept performance at Ashton gate.Along with Preston that goes down as equal worst performance of the season.
We were second to every ball against the bottom side and showed very little desire to win the the game.All. very disappointing to a reasonable away following.
Too much Christmas pudding or just another bad day at the office?

For the record the penalty was cheaply given away by o,Donnel.the defence did ok but there was nothing in midfield(Featherstone was awful) and we offered nothing up front.
Why is Featherstone in the team? He has not put a foot right in the last 4 games.

Still happy to be where we are in the league but really struggle to know how we can go from a Swindon performance to today's debacle.

m&m
Glitterati

Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:08 pm

Sorry for Featherstone read baxendale who was awful!

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:38 pm

Very disappointing performance and result against a poor Bristol City side.

Things we usually do well, just wasn't there today. Bottom of the league Bristol City, closed it better, defended better, passed it better, created more and generally wanted it more across the park. They could have won by a far greater margin had Baldock had his shooting boots on.

I've said to many over the past few months we could potentially be a really good top six side. With this current side/ squad and without at least two (possibly three) additions in critical positions we far more likely to dwindle into mid-table mediocrity or worse. We need additions and we need them now!

Normally, ever the optimist, I genuinely feel let down by todays inept display. Changes are required but who is able to step up from within our current squad?

Sadders
UTS Legend

Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:43 pm

Not pleased with the result but not overally negative either.

We don't have play-off quality and will probably continue to win a few games, flirt with 6th and then lose a few in a row when the going gets tough - we can't really expect much more. I read that a certain couple of names are on the transfer list up at Bramall Lane - Cuvelier and Brandy, I'd take both, especially Brandy. Bristol City have a farcical wage budget and virtually all of their squad would get deals in league 1 if they were to leave, they've a new manager who is going to make them physical, direct and dirty and have quality players like Jay Emanuel Thomas who is probably on our entire squads budget alone. They are in a false position and are my shout to do exactly what we did last season - this, they'l finish top 12 IMO.

Baxendale needs a few weeks off, we need another winger and a proper centre forward that allows us to score headed goals, spring the offisde trap, and retain possession - in other words, not what we have currently. We might not need to walk it into the net then.

We won't get many points from Gillingham, Sheffield United or Tranmere in the next few weeks. They are strong, physically robust sides who play long ball football and have that air of 'thuggish fight' about them, of which we occasionally lack - Butler, Taylor and Chambers aside anyway.

m&m
Glitterati

Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:51 pm

Just one more gripe before I,m out of here.
What is the point of us getting corners? There is absolutely no chance of scoring from them unless they somehow find Butlers head.
We seem to create at least 10 per game at which point most fans get quite encouraged.
With our current lack of ariel power I think a throw in is a better proposition.

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:13 pm

m&m wrote:Just one more gripe before I,m out of here.
What is the point of us getting corners? There is absolutely no chance of scoring from them unless they somehow find Butlers head.
We seem to create at least 10 per game at which point most fans get quite encouraged.
With our current lack of ariel power I think a throw in is a better proposition.

There are a load of creative things they could do from corners and even throw ins (all sorts of formations and movements)...but again they lack imagination and keep on doing the same things that don't work...but apparently me saying that makes me a 'troll'

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:19 pm

Bristol City were poor... but not as poor as us. They struck lucky with the Pen... not a Pen in my opinion, but an easy one for the ref to give. However they had several other chances to get a second... we didn't. Once they got ahead, they sensed 3 points. We may have been the "better footballing team" but the records will show that they beat us today. Pap!

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:42 pm

Bristol were there for the taking today but our own ineptness prevented us from doing so. The major difference between this season and last is that last season we were playing direct, quick attacking football which the opposition couldn't cope with. This season it's tippy tappy, slow paced and predictable. We were so easy to defend against today it was unbelievable. Every time we got the ball to our wingers they looked to cut inside. Everytime our fullbacks crossed it in, there was no one attacking the ball. I don't think the Bristol City defence will have had an easier game all season. Their keeper may as well have pulled up a seat.

TheSwift
Glitterati

Location: Swifty's Best Nest of Lemon Zest on his Chest Vest and WEMBLEY!

Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:01 pm

Sadders wrote:Not pleased with the result but not overally negative either.

We don't have play-off quality and will probably continue to win a few games, flirt with 6th and then lose a few in a row when the going gets tough - we can't really expect much more. I read that a certain couple of names are on the transfer list up at Bramall Lane - Cuvelier and Brandy, I'd take both, especially Brandy. Bristol City have a farcical wage budget and virtually all of their squad would get deals in league 1 if they were to leave, they've a new manager who is going to make them physical, direct and dirty and have quality players like Jay Emanuel Thomas who is probably on our entire squads budget alone. They are in a false position and are my shout to do exactly what we did last season - this, they'l finish top 12 IMO.

Baxendale needs a few weeks off, we need another winger and a proper centre forward that allows us to score headed goals, spring the offisde trap, and retain possession - in other words, not what we have currently. We might not need to walk it into the net then.

We won't get many points from Gillingham, Sheffield United or Tranmere in the next few weeks. They are strong, physically robust sides who play long ball football and have that air of 'thuggish fight' about them, of which we occasionally lack - Butler, Taylor and Chambers aside anyway.

Where did you read about this Sadders? Can't find anything abour it on the web?!?

gray
Glitterati

Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:17 am

Such a frustrating performance. We didn't wake up until the 2nd half and then when we did wake up we still lacked anyone who could put the icing on the cake. It's all very nice Downing, Mantom and Featherstone playing triangles in our own half but when we get 30 yards from goal we looked harmless. There needs to be a player or two who are more willing to run with the ball and get into the box. Too many times the ball would be central in the final third and it would get passed sideways to Purkiss who would either waste a cross or put it in a good area but there being nobody to attack it. Like M&M said, we got loads of corners but weren't a threat from them at all. At the moment we need somebody like Lalkovic to really step up and take on the defenders to finish a move off.

Big Dave wfc
UTS Veteran

Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:09 am

First half was just poor, second half we got a few corners in quick succession and that was about as close as we got, really would get rid of gray and use his wage and if we have some other money available to bring in a striker, any team who can hold a decent line we cannot break them down, hemmings needs to come in for baxendale, he is just running around out there, and he's going to get needless stick for playing out of position, what the hell did o'donnell feel the need to make the challenge for the pen, striker was going far to wide! All that said ill be making my way to gillingham Sunday lol come on you reds Uts

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season