Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheffield United (A) League One Tuesday 26th Nov 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Re: Sheffield United (A) League One Tuesday 26th Nov 7.45pm

Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:22 pm

sallian wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:The way Salian puts it across though you'd think we were not scoring because its something Dean Smith has overlooked/forgotten about.

If you watch what happens to Walsall in the last quarter of the pitch so often....along with the goal tally.....then combine that with Dean Smith's assessment of the attack, along with his vision of goalscoring......something very clear can be derived.

However, it seems many do not want to admit this, so they argue with ridiculous...."No its good just to concentrate on defence and scoring one goal only etc" and "No, we are like barcelona you don't understand low scoring football formations"

I think this state of denial is perhaps because of Dean Smiths achievements with the team and that he is very likeable.

I like him and he is good and has made much progress. But the issue that I am carving on this board....is one of his weaknesses.

There are all sorts of managers with different methods, strategies and mentalities and it manifests in different results and styles on the pitch. The output for Dean and Walsall will improve if he makes the adjustments alluded to or EXPLICITLY SHOUTED.

1) how many goals did we score last season?

2) Who was manager last season?

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:41 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
sallian wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:The way Salian puts it across though you'd think we were not scoring because its something Dean Smith has overlooked/forgotten about.

If you watch what happens to Walsall in the last quarter of the pitch so often....along with the goal tally.....then combine that with Dean Smith's assessment of the attack, along with his vision of goalscoring......something very clear can be derived.

However, it seems many do not want to admit this, so they argue with ridiculous...."No its good just to concentrate on defence and scoring one goal only etc" and "No, we are like barcelona you don't understand low scoring football formations"

I think this state of denial is perhaps because of Dean Smiths achievements with the team and that he is very likeable.

I like him and he is good and has made much progress. But the issue that I am carving on this board....is one of his weaknesses.

There are all sorts of managers with different methods, strategies and mentalities and it manifests in different results and styles on the pitch. The output for Dean and Walsall will improve if he makes the adjustments alluded to or EXPLICITLY SHOUTED.

You've destroyed me...in your own mind.

Last season has gone. We are now in this season and analyzing his statements, formations, results this year.

Last season, you had two individually creative players in Whisky and Mattesons...and Trigger was a reasonable finisher...and at least he could take quality penalties (Hemmings).

Those type of players...will create chances by their nature, directness and desire for goal and glory...that is why Peterson is now at a higher level (but hardly playing) His mentality was different and his standards and ambition. So these facts you throw at me.....when we cut down the macrocosm into the microcosm...we actually see that they prove what I was talking about in some respects.

As for this season....there is absence of that individual quality. However, there is still enough quality to achieve higher.....AS LONG as the maxim is not:-

"...WE KNOW YOU ARE LESSER QUALITY SO WE WILL EXPECT AND DEMAND LESS FROM YOU..."

No, they must drive them in their minds and on the pitch and in the style...to achieve much more. Tell them they can and must score 100 and maybe they will score 60.... Tell them well done you have scored 1 in 10.....and they wont do much better than that.

If you want to do BIG....think BIG

Better results come from RAISING THE STANDARDS and AMBITIONS....try it in your individual lives and spheres.

I will repeat...high quality players are not because of superhuman powers....but because of higher standards, dedication and ambition...and intelligence (which you can't perhaps teach....but you can teach them to think think quicker and increase their knowledge, improve their judgement).

e.g. Sawyers terrible attempt at a lob in the Peterboro game...."Don't do that again son, bury it with venom....curl it with force....or commit the keeper, dummy the keeper, run it in and round....whatever etc etc......but not some Evran Wright lame lob technique!"

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:45 pm

sallian wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:
sallian wrote:

You've destroyed me...in your own mind.

Last season has gone. We are now in this season and analyzing his statements, formations, results this year.

Last season, you had two individually creative players in Whisky and Mattesons...and Trigger was a reasonable finisher...and at least he could take quality penalties (Hemmings).

Those type of players...will create chances by their nature, directness and desire for goal and glory...that is why Peterson is now at a higher level (but hardly playing) His mentality was different and his standards and ambition. So these facts you throw at me.....when we cut down the macrocosm into the microcosm...we actually see that they prove what I was talking about in some respects.

As for this season....there is absence of that individual quality. However, there is still enough quality to achieve higher.....AS LONG as the maxim is not:-

"...WE KNOW YOU ARE LESSER QUALITY SO WE WILL EXPECT AND DEMAND LESS FROM YOU..."

No, they must drive them in their minds and on the pitch and in the style...to achieve much more. Tell them they can and must score 100 and maybe they will score 60.... Tell them well done you have scored 1 in 10.....and they wont do much better than that.

If you want to do BIG....think BIG

Better results come from RAISING THE STANDARDS and AMBITIONS....try it in your individual lives and spheres.

I will repeat...high quality players are not because of superhuman powers....but because of higher standards, dedication and ambition...and intelligence (which you can't perhaps teach....but you can teach them to think think quicker and increase their knowledge, improve their judgement).

e.g. Sawyers terrible attempt at a lob in the Peterboro game...."Don't do that again son, bury it with venom....curl it with force....or commit the keeper, dummy the keeper, run it in and round....whatever etc etc......but not some Evran Wright lame lob technique!"

Your premise was Walsall don't score enough goals because Dean Smith is manager

I provided a counter example

You provided psychotic ramblings

Goodnight
Last edited by Andy_Petterson on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rogerem
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:52 pm

I and my mucka's have been on here since the year dot.
Salian has the metal to express his opinion however he likes.
It is good to have a wide variation of opinions, don't hit with a lump of wood or shoot him down man........UTS.

sallian
Glitterati

Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:24 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
Your premise was Walsall don't score enough goals because Dean Smith is manager

I provided a counter example

You provided psychotic ramblings

Goodnight

I am beginning to think I might need to put up some simple diagrams to explain my point.

No I am not saying 'because Dean Smith is the manager....'

I am saying In these circumstances, with his philosophy and strategy...with this set of players.....he has an understanding of a couple of things which are contributing to the low goal tally.

he also has many ingredients which help them score goals and defend and play well. And he is not the only factor in this.....MUCH of it is to do with players not improving their technique, taking enough shots...making the simple pass etc....i.e. he can't control their JUDGEMENTS and EXECUTION on the pitch...but he can try to influence it beforehand.

And I think even a more astute attack minded manager....will NOT BE BETTER for Walsall.

I think Dean Smith is the ideal manager for Walsall because of his history, connection, personality, youth etc. I also think he does get them doing good things in many areas. And hopefully Dean Smith is in for the long term.

My point is that one or two little concepts and and one or two little faults in strategy or style can make a big difference in a game and at the end of the season.

Small changes in mentality, technique etc can have dramatic results.

But these changes have to be highlighted as needing change or worthy of change or worth a try in the first place.

goodnight.

And before anyone jumps on it with premature shallow reactionary judgement...it is not a contradiction to say that a manager does things which lead to goals and does things which prevent more goals being scored....but I will let you think about that for yourselves if you have to.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:55 pm

Thought sallian was a woman i.e. As in Sally Anne ?

wfc & chips
Glitterati

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:18 pm

Cowshed wrote:Thought sallian was a woman i.e. As in Sally Anne ?

it certainly prattles on a bit.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:20 pm

Think it's more lateral than that - a commutation of Walsallian....

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:46 am

that's like me thinking that Cowshed is not Cow Shed but Cow's head with 'a' dropped as you are not an 'A' player nor an 'A' student.

Or more obscurely, that you are in fact the well Welsh Rapper (hip hopster) Cowshe D. or his wife who he calls a she-cow when he gets angry with her....He says "Shut up and stop nagging Mrs Cow She D."

sallian
Glitterati

Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:56 am

Exile wrote:

That's it you got it Exile.

What people don't realise is that in the olden days people used to say "Come on the 'Sall ...." to the annoyance of Pelsall Villa...who used to complain "We can also be the 'Sall so specify it..." To which the Walsall supporters replied "We don't need to specify anything as we are the original 'Sall and so you are the ones who need to specify." The Pelsall fans then replied "Who said this has to be based on the founding of the club? We can take this to the founding of the Village which predates your Town." The respective historians of Pelsall Village and Walsall Town got in a bitter battle of research and debate over the earliest mentions of their respective places in historical documents....and it was suspected that many of the historical documents in both places were fabricated for this purpose.

I think the call of 'Come on Sall' evetually died out during the rise of some anti-semitic feelings in England...Someone spread a rumour that "Come on 'Sall" was started by a Jewish supporter called Saul (pronouned Sall as in the Biblical Saul who became St.Paul of Tarsus who converted on the road to Damascus) initiated the chant because he wanted to hear his own name shouted out by thousands.

So whoever abandons the call of 'Come on the 'Sall' has turned his face on decades, if not centuries, of history.

So by this name I have revived this tradition and reignited the grudge with Pelsall Villa.

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:01 am

sallian wrote:
Exile wrote:

That's it you got it Exile.

What people don't realise is that in the olden days people used to say "Come on the 'Sall ...." to the annoyance of Pelsall Villa...who used to complain "We can also be the 'Sall so specify it..." To which the Walsall supporters replied "We don't need to specify anything as we are the original 'Sall and so you are the ones who need to specify." The Pelsall fans then replied "Who said this has to be based on the founding of the club? We can take this to the founding of the Village which predates your Town." The respective historians of Pelsall Village and Walsall Town got in a bitter battle of research and debate over the earliest mentions of their respective places in historical documents....and it was suspected that many of the historical documents in both places were fabricated for this purpose.

I think the call of 'Come on Sall' evetually died out during the rise of some anti-semitic feelings in England...Someone spread a rumour that "Come on 'Sall" was started by a Jewish supporter called Saul (pronouned Sall as in the Biblical Saul who became St.Paul of Tarsus who converted on the road to Damascus) initiated the chant because he wanted to hear his own name shouted out by thousands.

So whoever abandons the call of 'Come on the 'Sall' has turned his face on decades, if not centuries, of history.

So by this name I have revived this tradition and reignited the grudge with Pelsall Villa.

Apologies ...I know this is only encouraging him/her ... from Wikipedia

"Sallian educational institutions are educational institutions affiliated with the Institute of the Brothers of the Christian Schools, also known as the De La Salle Brothers or the De La Salle Christian Brothers, a Roman Catholic religious teaching order founded by French Priest Saint Jean-Baptiste de La Salle, who was canonized in 1900 and proclaimed by the Vatican in 1950 as patron saint of all teachers. The De La Salle Brothers, assisted by more than 73,000 lay colleagues, teach over 900,000 students in 80 countries.[1]

La Sallian educational institutions come to prayer with the call;
Let us remember that we are in the holy presence of God.
They close prayer with the call and response:
St. John Baptist de La Salle,
Pray for us.
Live Jesus in our hearts,
Forever."

Either way Sallian has a lot of time on his/her hands and/or can type very fast.

kshammer
Site Addict

Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:58 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
latviancheese wrote:So that err Westcarr chap, scored again didnt he?

fudge rubbish.

When Westcarr was on the floor injured in the second half AFTER he'd scored, someone behind me said loudly "I hope your leg is broken Westcarr"

What chance have we got with morons like this following us?

fudge hell.

How can people be such retards?

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:20 am

sallian wrote:What people don't realise is that in the olden days people used to say "Come on the 'Sall ...." to the annoyance of Pelsall Villa...who used to complain "We can also be the 'Sall so specify it..." To which the Walsall supporters replied "We don't need to specify anything as we are the original 'Sall and so you are the ones who need to specify." The Pelsall fans then replied "Who said this has to be based on the founding of the club? We can take this to the founding of the Village which predates your Town." The respective historians of Pelsall Village and Walsall Town got in a bitter battle of research and debate over the earliest mentions of their respective places in historical documents....and it was suspected that many of the historical documents in both places were fabricated for this purpose.

But you forgot to mention the great schism between Rushall and Walsall Wood, over the use of "sall". With Pelsall backing Walsall Wood and Walsall backing Rushall, it almost became a second English Civil war, until Bloxwich, Aldridge and Brownhills weighed in and banged some heads together...

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:23 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:

donald rubbish.

When Westcarr was on the floor injured in the second half AFTER he'd scored, someone behind me said loudly "I hope your leg is broken Westcarr"

I agree, MMF. It's unbelievable. And besides, even if he was crap, what sort of moron would be wishing that on someone? It must have been hard not to respond at the time [or were you able to?].

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:23 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

donald rubbish.

I agree, MMF. It's unbelievable. And besides, even if he was crap, what sort of moron would be wishing that on someone? It must have been hard not to respond at the time [or were you able to?].

I just bit my tongue. The same bloke spent most of the second half criticising the majority our own players, whilst continually highlighting the fact he knew little about football.

Didn't recognise him, so he'd probably turned up for a big game.

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:57 pm

sallian wrote:
Wragbyred wrote:I think Mr Sallian fancies him/herself as some sort of psychologist, but not quite good enough to actually be one.

We are all psychologists and mental patients even if we don't recognize it.

I did actually do psychology at A level...but I abandoned it because it was frustrating having to listen to a whole load of conjectural theories, all of which were inferior to my own.

I am thinking of offering my sports psychology services to the team for free and also set up a midweek mental clinic for the disturbed posters in this forum, for a very small price....they just have to talk sense in here occasionally and call me sir.

Sorry Sillyann for pulling you up about your spelling again, but shouldn't that be cur?

rogerem
UTS Legend

Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:44 pm

As in Ben Hur? Or dangerous Darren? Sir.

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:48 pm

sallian wrote:

that's like me thinking that Cowshed is not Cow Shed but Cow's head with 'a' dropped as you are not an 'A' player nor an 'A' student.

Or more obscurely, that you are in fact the well Welsh Rapper (hip hopster) Cowshe D. or his wife who he calls a she-cow when he gets angry with her....He says "Shut up and stop nagging Mrs Cow She D."

Never been an A student just lead a comfortable lifestyle based on luck! Sorry about that because I know it irritates genuinely intelligent folk!

Anyhow I like this site because all the other posters are experts on the Saddlers and I mean serious experts so there is no point trying to be clever.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:01 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

donald rubbish.

I just bit my tongue. The same bloke spent most of the second half criticising the majority our own players, whilst continually highlighting the fact he knew little about football.

Didn't recognise him, so he'd probably turned up for a big game.

How is Sheff? :D

rogerem
UTS Legend

Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:06 pm

Well done Cowshed .... Any normal Saddler would know your name refers to Fellows Park.
Some nutta's message me wanting me to add a y.
C Yow Sh Else Die. I love you Sir. I won't listen.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:26 pm

Why does anyone need to show up at the match when they can gleen all they could ever need to know about it by reading these match threads :D ?

Previous
Return to 2013-14 Season