Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Peterborough Utd (H) League One Monday 18 Nov 7.45pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Peterborough Utd (H) League One Monday 18 Nov 7.45pm

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:12 am

We can sit back and relax on Saturday watching for other teams to drop points, because the visit of The Posh has been put back to Monday in order to enable Sky's customers to see how attractive football can be. :wink:

Peterborough had an impressive start to the season and really did seem to be scoring goals for fun, scoring 5 at Colchester in the League Cup, 4 at Notts County, 5 at Tranmere, and 6 at home to Reading in the League Cup - and all this in August! Since then things have calmed down on the scoring front...their last 6 League games:

5 Oct Preston North End (H) WON 2-0
12 Oct Port Vale (A) WON 0-1
19 Oct Shrewsbury Town (H) WON 1-0
22 Oct Sheffield United (H) DREW 0-0
26 Oct Colchester United (A) LOST 1-0
2 Nov Leyton Orient (H) LOST 1-3

So in their last six League games Peterborough have only managed to score 5 goals. Mind you they've only conceded 4, so there's a pretty mean defence there. Leading scorer with 9 goals to his name is their record signing Britt Assombalonga, who came from Watford in the close season for a reported £1.5 million - Peterborough had money burning a hole in their pocket at the time, having transferred Dwight Gayle to Crystal Palace for a basic £4.5 million rising to £8.5 million with add-ons.

Darren Ferguson is the Posh's manager, in his second spell with the club. From 2007 to 2009 he achieved back-to-back promotions taking the club from League 2 to the Championship where they struggled, and were bottom of the table when he left. Relegation followed, and then promotion, and last season with Ferguson back in charge they were relegated again on the last day.

A "Trivial Pursuit" question arises at this point....which Manager (and I use the term loosely) has been in charge at both Peterborough and Walsall?

OK, prediction time - IF (A BIG IF) Deano gets his selection right, and IF we play in the Swindon/Shrewsbury mode, we can win this one and consolidate our place as genuine play-off contenders. I'll go for a 1-0 win, with bone idle Craig Westcarr smoothly moving into double figures for the season so far. :wink:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Re: Peterborough Utd (H) League One Monday 18 Nov 7.45pm

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:40 am

Mick Halsall (???), albeit in a caretaker capacity.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:21 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote: I'll go for a 1-0 win, with bone idle Craig Westcarr smoothly moving into double figures for the season so far. :wink:

He's only scored 8, not 9! :lol:

Jimmy Walker is also their goalkeeping coach now, Wacka returns once again.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:38 pm

JonnyOwen wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote: I'll go for a 1-0 win, with bone idle Craig Westcarr smoothly moving into double figures for the season so far. :wink:

I'm counting the League Cup in Westcarr's stats.......

Tranmere Rovers 2
Port Vale (LC) 1
Crewe Alexandra 2
Leyton Orient 1
Stevenage 1
Shrewsbury Town 2

Total so far..... 9

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:40 pm

Pedagogue wrote:Mick Halsall (???), albeit in a caretaker capacity.

The manager I have in mind was a fully-fledged manager, to my mind probably the worst we ever had (that narrows the field down a little) :wink:

PT
Site Addict

Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:55 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:

The manager I have in mind was a fully-fledged manager, to my mind probably the worst we ever had (that narrows the field down a little) :wink:

Oh Jesus, it's Barnwell isn't it? Had £250k to spend on a strike force, half of which we had to subsequently sell to sack the idiot. To take that group of players to the bottom of the third division took some doing and Barnwell was the man alright. Horrible times. No wonder our support at the time barely noticed the sleight of hand taking place down at the old sewer works. It's hard to notice anything when your head is permanently in your hands.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:04 pm

PT wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:

Oh Jesus, it's Barnwell isn't it? Had £250k to spend on a strike force, half of which we had to subsequently sell to sack the idiot. To take that group of players to the bottom of the third division took some doing and Barnwell was the man alright. Horrible times. No wonder our support at the time barely noticed the sleight of hand taking place down at the old sewer works. It's hard to notice anything when your head is permanently in your hands.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Give that man a cigar (or a Bounty bar) - yes, the indescribable John Barnwell. Love "when your head is permanently in your hands" :lol: :lol: :lol:

bangsection
Site Addict

Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:53 pm

Welsh_Saddler wrote:
JonnyOwen wrote:

I'm counting the League Cup in Westcarr's stats.......

Tranmere Rovers 2
Port Vale (LC) 1
Crewe Alexandra 2
Leyton Orient 1
Stevenage 1
Shrewsbury Town 2

Total so far..... 9

Wasn't Port Vale the game where Westcarr was reported to have scored by various media outlets but actually it was Hemmings?

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:35 pm

bangsection wrote:Wasn't Port Vale the game where Westcarr was reported to have scored by various media outlets but actually it was Hemmings?

Correct. The normally reliable Soccerbase has still got it down as a Westcarr goal, but he has just the 8 for the season - boo! rubbish! get rid! lazy!

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:16 pm

In the light of the Honourable Gentlemens' comments, I hereby amend my prediction - I'll go for a 2-0 win with the bone idle Westcarr scoring both, thus moving smoothly into double figures for the season. :roll:

Honestly..... :wink:

:D

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:08 pm

From what i have heard these have gotten the results without playing great.

Very winnable. I fancy us to nick it by the odd goal.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:05 am

latviancheese wrote: I fancy us to nick it by the odd goal.

Me too. A skied defensive clearance from Butler is collected mid air by a passing Pelican. it carries the ball upfield before dropping it nicely into the path of McQuilkin who fires home.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:08 pm

Damn - that's what I was going to say. :x

kshammer
Site Addict

Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:31 pm

Would that be a pelican crossing?

I'll get me coot.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:28 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

Me too. A skied defensive clearance from Butler is collected mid air by a passing Pelican. it carries the ball upfield before dropping it nicely into the path of McQuilkin who fires home.

:lol:

Very odd.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:12 pm

latviancheese wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:

Very odd.

I know.

I mean as if McQuilkin will get a game.

:wink:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:01 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

Undoubtedly the oddest odd goal I've ever heard of. :D

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:15 pm

chestersaddler wrote:

passing pelican? no chance pelicans never pass

goalhangers!!!

Soton Saddler
UTS Veteran

Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:40 am

Tough, tough match......for Peterborough.

Walsall 3 - 0 Peterborough
Att 3,174

I'll be watching in The Alexandria in Southampton, in the warm - with beer (I might even order some chips).

Up The Saddlers. :o

SWS1

Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:18 pm

kshammer wrote:Would that be a pelican crossing?

I'll get me coot.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:27 am

Soton Saddler wrote:I'll be watching in The Alexandria in Southampton, in the warm - with beer (I might even order some chips).

I think the game is being beamed live across the planet - certainly to Australia and maybe New Zealand and other colonial backwaters.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:25 am

Whitters wrote:
Soton Saddler wrote:I'll be watching in The Alexandria in Southampton, in the warm - with beer (I might even order some chips).

I think the game is being beamed live across the planet - certainly to Australia and maybe New Zealand and other colonial backwaters.

Not here.

PT
Site Addict

Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:36 am

Exile wrote:
Whitters wrote:

Not here.

Look hard enough and you'll find it on line somewhere. Iraqi goals or some such site.

martkrugeleysaddler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:52 pm

PT wrote:
Exile wrote:
Whitters wrote:

Not here.

Look hard enough and you'll find it on line somewhere. Iraqi goals or some such site.

Sky box office.

Blackheath Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:18 am

Depends what team he picks? Negative 4-1-4-1 formation 0-2 defeat Positive 4-4-1-1 2-1 win with Westcarr and Lalkovic scoring

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:42 pm

Blackheath Saddler wrote:Depends what team he picks? Negative 4-1-4-1 formation 0-2 defeat Positive 4-4-1-1 2-1 win with Westcarr and Lalkovic scoring

I like the sound of the 4-4-1-1-2-1 formation. As you say, positive!

Think we'll win by more than two goals with it though.

PT
Site Addict

Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:54 pm

Blackheath Saddler wrote:Depends what team he picks? Negative 4-1-4-1 formation 0-2 defeat Positive 4-4-1-1 2-1 win with Westcarr and Lalkovic scoring

I agree. He keeps bottling it when we play "good sides" at home by picking the more defensive formation with Featherstone rather than Sawyers getting a start. We seem to lose those games. It could be that the fact that it is better opposition or it could be a result of our approach. Featherstone is great at what he does but if you were the opposition you'd feel happier facing Featherstone, Chambers and Mantom rather than Sawyers, Featherstone, Mantom. In fact if you were the opposition you'd probably be lifted as soon as the team-sheet were announced if it contained the former personnel as it would suggest that Walsall were worried about your threat rather than confident in the threat they can carry.

I think Smith thinks about the subs he will make on the hour (if it isn't going well) and on seventy minutes (however it is going) and thinks that a Sawyers "impact" gives us an impetus that a Featherstone impact doesn't. That is quite a negative approach though and there are others that can come off the bench and make a difference offensively.

So I'd urge Smith to go for it tomorrow with Sawyers and Lalkovic starting.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:42 pm

After tomorrow's game we'll have seven matches to go before we reach the halfway point of the season. Six of those games are against sides in the bottom half, the other one is Port Vale at home. Our current record against the bottom half is good (won 4, drawn 2) so we could realistically be looking at 38-39 points after 23 games.

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:03 pm

PT wrote:
Exile wrote:
Whitters wrote:

Not here.

Give me some clues PT cus ALL the pubs round here will be watching that strange game with an odd shaped ball, Batley v New Zealand or somat equally as bizarre! I'll be devastated if I cant watch 'em live on telly!

PT
Site Addict

Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:37 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:
PT wrote:
Exile wrote:
Whitters wrote:

Not here.

Give me some clues PT cus ALL the pubs round here will be watching that strange game with an odd shaped ball, Batley v New Zealand or somat equally as bizarre! I'll be devastated if I cant watch 'em live on telly!

I just looked on Iraq Goals (it does exist - honest!) and they seem to stream every Sky game................................except this one. So I dunno mate but surely in true Ancient Moaner/Moaning Old Git mode you'll only be missing a right gewing over anyway. :wink: Have a search tomorrow.

Next
Return to 2013-14 Season