Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Coventry City (H) League One Sat Oct 26, 3pm

Reports and reaction from the 2013-2014 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Re: Coventry City (H) League One Sat Oct 26, 3pm

Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:42 pm

Sadders wrote:Baxendale was gash, but it doesn't help that he's not playing in his right position.

The Baxendale thing is turning into a bit of a dilemma, isn't it? Presumably you're saying his right position is in the hole, just behind the striker - that position Sawyers and Westcarr would also both make a claim for. It's a shame we don't get to see Baxendale at his absolute best, but he's still better than the alternative options wide on the right - unless maybe we bring Gray in on the left and give Hemmings a go on the right.

Regardless of how he played today, the vocal minority who sarcastically cheered when Baxendale was taken off are a disgrace.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:03 pm

I wasn't there on Tuesday night when (judging by listening to DingleFM) we played one of the playoff faves off the park. I was there v Bradford at home when trying playing Featherstone (who was superb today) as part of a midfield 3 didn't work. Today, I thought that Smith made absolutely the right decision in playing this formation. Against a confident, expensive direct team like Coventry I could see the logic in trying to maintain possession against a form team. After a tough start, where we stayed in it, we ended the first half by bossing it and could easily have gone in up one up.

It fell apart in the 2nd half. We conceded yet another crap goal from a cross, at which point it all went tits up. While substituting Baxendale would have been done by even Mike Bassett, my concern was that Smith could not see that we needed to change formation with 25-30 minutes left. AND IN WHAT fudge PLANET IS HEWITT MORE LIKELY TO SCORE THAN WESTCARR!! Sawyers was excellent when he came on but he needs attacking options to set up in front of him - Hewitt and Gray :twisted:

We are so close to being genuine play-off contenders, games like today make being a fan really bloody irritating! Please pay for a real striker (so Westcarr can play off him where he is excellent) when we are able to stop paying for Lalkovich.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:06 pm

boringteacher wrote:It fell apart in the 2nd half. We conceded yet another crap goal from a cross, at which point it all went tits up. While substituting Baxendale would have been done by even Mike Bassett, my concern was that Smith could not see that we needed to change formation with 25-30 minutes left. AND IN WHAT fudge PLANET IS HEWITT MORE LIKELY TO SCORE THAN WESTCARR!! Sawyers was excellent when he came on but he needs attacking options to set up in front of him - Hewitt and Gray :twisted:

What's so bad about Hewitt? I thought his work-rate in his spell in the first team was top class.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:19 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Sadders wrote:Baxendale was gash, but it doesn't help that he's not playing in his right position.

The Baxendale thing is turning into a bit of a dilemma, isn't it? Presumably you're saying his right position is in the hole, just behind the striker - that position Sawyers and Westcarr would also both make a claim for. It's a shame we don't get to see Baxendale at his absolute best, but he's still better than the alternative options wide on the right - unless maybe we bring Gray in on the left and give Hemmings a go on the right.

Regardless of how he played today, the vocal minority who sarcastically cheered when Baxendale was taken off are a disgrace.

Indeed. I honestly think we shouldn't have bothered handing a 3 year contract to him if we were doing it with playing him wide right in mind. I truly think we will ruin him as a player if we continue to play him there. He's not a winger at all and he has no redeeming features of being a winger, bar the odd abiliy to cut in and score a few peaches along the way. He's not blessed with pace, he doesn't skin anybody, his crossing is poor, he doesn't get to the byline etc. Those were all obvious in his play today - A) When he put a simple cross into row F in the second half and B) When he went in 1 on 1 early in the second half only to fall over and be tackled when he had an obvious advantage.

If we can't play him in the number 10 position, I'd honestly give him a chance as part of the 3 in central midfield. He'd certainly offer some more attacking zest in there.

I agree, I thought it was awful also. If Smith is going to keep shoe-horning him into wide positions then Smith/Bax have to understand that some fans are eventually going to get frustrated and vent those kinds of emotions when the player is substituted. That will only make his confidence drop off more and as I said, ruin him as a player. I'm very surprised Smith hasn't learnt from last season when Baxendale fell apart during that winless run playing on the right.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:29 pm

boringteacher wrote:I wasn't there on Tuesday night when (judging by listening to DingleFM) we played one of the playoff faves off the park. I was there v Bradford at home when trying playing Featherstone (who was superb today) as part of a midfield 3 didn't work. Today, I thought that Smith made absolutely the right decision in playing this formation. Against a confident, expensive direct team like Coventry I could see the logic in trying to maintain possession against a form team. After a tough start, where we stayed in it, we ended the first half by bossing it and could easily have gone in up one up.

It fell apart in the 2nd half. We conceded yet another crap goal from a cross, at which point it all went fools up. While substituting Baxendale would have been done by even Mike Bassett, my concern was that Smith could not see that we needed to change formation with 25-30 minutes left. AND IN WHAT donald PLANET IS HEWITT MORE LIKELY TO SCORE THAN WESTCARR!! Sawyers was excellent when he came on but he needs attacking options to set up in front of him - Hewitt and Gray :twisted:

We are so close to being genuine play-off contenders, games like today make being a fan really bloody irritating! Please pay for a real striker (so Westcarr can play off him where he is excellent) when we are able to stop paying for Lalkovich.

I agree with most of your post, but if Smith plays Sawyers then Westcarr or a new striker should play upfront, Sawyers is better than Westcarr there IMO. I like Featherstone overall, but as a fan of my team winning at home he frustrates me. Not because he does much wrong but just because we could be so much better with a player just 'slightly' more attack minded than Featherstone. Some people find it hard to grasp what I mean when I moan at him but you can practically put your house on him playing a sidewards or backwards pass. The energy in his passing and creativity just aren't there at home. If I could use one word to describe him it would be 'retainer' or 'holding' which in fairness is a good thing, especially away from home.

My line up at home would be.

O'Donnell

Chambers
Downing
Butler
Taylor

Mantom
Chambers

Lalkovic (on the basis that he has a little pace and Bax really isn't a winger)
Sawyers
Hemmings

Westcarr

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:54 pm

Its going to be a sad demise for Baxedale i think, unless we have some injuries and he has to play midfield.

He doesnt have the pace or strength on the wing.

orkney_saddler

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:03 am

Barring any play-off action or unforeseen holidays today's match completed season 2013-14 for me. Sat in the back row of the Tiles Choice upper so that I could see the pattern of play (Stevenage match was watched from 3rd row in Main Stand), and was all prepared to sit back and soak up possession football. Unfortunately what happened was somewhat of an anti-climax. I stood dewy eyed at the kick off remembering how much the matches and atmosphere meant to me before I moved to the windswept north of Scotland - however my nostalgic reverie was brought down to earth in that special way that only Walsall FC have been able to manage over the years!

Pragmatically we should be pleased that we are able to compete against a well assembled good footballing side like Coventry. However, whilst the head should be happy the heart certainly wasn't. It's probably for the best, as another Swindon-esque performance and result here would have seen me rip up my ferry tickets and stay to see the season out!

I think that today we looked lethargic - and we gave the ball away far too much - certainly too much against a side who know how to use it. They won the match by doing their homework on Hemmings - he was faced with and stopped by 2 men all through the match. Baxendale likewise was up against a stronger man, and without the outright pace to beat him hestruggled. All in all this starved Westcarr who was isolated throughout. Anytime that the wingers did find space for a cross the final ball was inevitably poor. To be honest it looked no better when the subs were made - not enough penetration and too many mistakes. Possession and passing was good up to the final ball, which was all too often wayward.

Coventry are a good side, and dealt with us by playing us at our own game - they kept the game in our half and we couldn't break out or force them back. I think that they matched us for football, but had that all important physical presence to be able to muscle us out of contention. This is definitely something that seems to trouble or somewhat lightweight attacking players.

We shouldn't be throwing the baby out with the bathwater though - Dean has assembled a squad of players who look like they have the ability to go places. They are still learning and will only improve. I really hope that he is allowed funds to secure the final missing parts of the jigsaw before the squad drifts away to pastures new. How many times have we had a team where all departments peak at once - 1 season with Richard Money and 2 with Ray Graydon are all I can really recall. We have had squads with good defences but no strikers, ones who can score goals but can't keep them out at the other end, and only once in a blue moon do all of the pieces fit together to make that special promotion winning side. Dean is nearing that point where so many of the right cards are on the table, and we must all hope that he is allowed to find the last one or two to make it a season to remember.

As for me I'll make my merry way north for another season confident at least that for all the new faces and players the essence of Walsall FC haven't changed - they retain the ability to excite and infuriate in a way that only Walsall can! See you all in October 2014!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:09 am

Sadders wrote:If Smith is going to keep shoe-horning him into wide positions then Smith/Bax have to understand that some fans are eventually going to get frustrated and vent those kinds of emotions when the player is substituted. That will only make his confidence drop off more and as I said, ruin him as a player. I'm very surprised Smith hasn't learnt from last season when Baxendale fell apart during that winless run playing on the right.

Or, how about the morons in the stands start to realise that getting on a 21 year old player's case for having a bad day at the office isn't a good idea? :idea:

It's interesting that you suggest Lalkovic should start now. Based on what?

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:29 am

WFC_Rob wrote:
Sadders wrote:If Smith is going to keep shoe-horning him into wide positions then Smith/Bax have to understand that some fans are eventually going to get frustrated and vent those kinds of emotions when the player is substituted. That will only make his confidence drop off more and as I said, ruin him as a player. I'm very surprised Smith hasn't learnt from last season when Baxendale fell apart during that winless run playing on the right.

Or, how about the morons in the stands start to realise that getting on a 21 year old player's case for having a bad day at the office isn't a good idea? :idea:

It's interesting that you suggest Lalkovic should start now. Based on what?

Yeah I wasn't justifying the braindead mongs that cheered him off, but to counter that - Smith shouldn't put him in the firing line if not for the fact he's not a winger, then the fact he's got a 3 year deal and if he turns turd now and his confidence drops how are we ever going to get the best out of him? I think Lalkovic should probably be named Lolkavic so far - BUT as I pointed out, continue to start Bax wide right and we ruin him. You could start Sawyers wide right, but do we get the best of him? Nope. You could start Hemmings there, but his left footed need makes him better the other side IMO and you could start Gray there, but he looked turd today.

My overall points from the day.

- No Featherstone at home.
- Sawyers in the hole behind Westcarr or another striker.
- Leave the 4-3-3 to be played away from home regardless of the opposition.
- Baxendale will be ruined played wide.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:02 am

So a division 3 football team has signed a player on a 3 year contract who's only possible position is 'in the hole'.

This kind of luxury isn't even afforded to Premier League clubs.

How can a division 3 football club ever build a team around one man? Or was there a hope we could turn him in to a winger?

ChopperWFC
UTS Veteran

Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:19 am

Disappointed with the subs from deano . Can maybe understand Hewitt for Westcarr in the grounds of Hewitt could have been on fire in training and he took a punt on him. And it was a straight striker swap. However Hemmings ?? Ended up with Mantom on the left wing . Hemmings was doing well and with Gray on the other side we would have had natural wingers. And Sawyers needed to be on with at least 30 mins to go . Just feel we handed the game to them as it was clear they are a side that tires and we ended up disjointed when our natural home side needed to be in place to give us the best chance. Cov are a solid side but surely they will lose some players in January which could halt their challenge. It's such a strong league this year so for us to be anywhere near the play offs is a tremendous effort . Still feel we need a natural striker in the window. Not necessarily a target man just a player with an instinct for goal. As for our keeper would like to see him punch a bit more if he is lacking confidence catching under pressure. Hell of a shot stopper though.
Lets keep the faith and looking forward to MK. Up the Saddlers !!!!!!

TofDover
UTS Regular

Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:36 am

Last night watching the football show after showing the city goal the two pundits applauded the city manager on doing so well with the use of so many young academy players :? :? :?

Leatherman
Site Addict

Location: Still pointing and laughing even LOUDER at psychotic fantasists.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:56 am

Not much time as I have to dash, but for what it's worth:

Butler went for the clearance on the corner and missed the header; both Chambers brothers surrounded the Cov. striker who beat everyone to the ball causing O'Donnell to make a fine reactive save. Unfortunately, he batted the ball out to an un marked Cov. bloke who slid it into the net past a witless Westcarr.

Almost every attack from us came down the left, even when the ball was started off on the right it eventually found it's way to Taylor or Hemmings. We need to utilise the right more; we were far too predicable.

Purkiss for Chambers is definitely worth a shot.

MoM: Featherstone by a country mile.
Last edited by Leatherman on Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:26 am

TofDover wrote:Last night watching the football show after showing the city goal the two pundits applauded the city manager on doing so well with the use of so many young academy players :? :? :?

And on 606 last night a couple of Coventry callers got on got to spout the same bullshine.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:28 am

Sadders wrote:My overall points from the day.

?? He was the best player on the park yesterday.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:03 am

aaaae wrote:And on 606 last night a couple of Coventry callers got on got to spout the same bullshine.

Let me guess: success against the odds? A heartwarming football story? I actually think Pressley's done a great job there in difficult circumstances but their resources are still far beyond most in League One.

They're one of only four clubs in our division with a Category Two Academy (minimum £1m investment per year) they have kept players like Baker, Murphy, Moussa etc on Championship money and have signed players like Clarke and Webster who won't be on buttons.

Then there's the fact that for the last two seasons they've been allowed to flout the salary cap that every other L1 club has to abide by. Cumulatively it's an unfair advantage that more than makes up for having to play home games in Northampton.

Hereforawhile

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:54 am

TofDover wrote:Last night watching the football show after showing the city goal the two pundits applauded the city manager on doing so well with the use of so many young academy players :? :? :?

You really need to stop beating yourself up.

Coventry City

• 01 Murphy – ex Scunthorpe
• 18 Phillips – 19 year old ACADEMY player – played 4 league games
• 03 Adams – signed after a loan deal from Sunderland – other loans included Brentford, Charlton, Northampton
• 06 Thomas - came through the ACADEMY
• 04 Webster – 31 year old from Hearts
• 24 Clarke – came through the ACADEMY
• 08 Baker - probably on lower end Championship salary
• 07 Fleck – from Rangers
• 09 Clarke - on lower end Championship salary
• 20 Wilson – through the ACADEMY – 26 games
• 14 Moussa – previously played for those high flying clubs Wycombe, Doncaster and Chesterfield.

Substitutes

• 13 Burge – ACADEMY – 0 league games
• 16 Barton – 30 games – bought from high flying PNE
• 17 Daniels – (used as a sub) - 11 games – ACADEMY player
• 21 Loza – 28 day loan youth deal from Norwich
• 25 Urquhart – 21 year old, just signed from Rangers
• 30 Garner – ACADEMY player – 2 league games
• 31 Haynes – ACADEMY – 0 league games

Injured

- Willis – ACADEMY player - 14 league games
- Christie – came through the ACADEMY

Rest of the Squad

- Haynes – ACADEMY – 1 league game
- Lobjoit – ACADEMY – 0 league games
- Maund – ACADEMY – 0 league games
- Rankin – ACADEMY – 0 league games
- Gott - ACADEMY – 0 league games

Tight game - could have gone either way.

Good luck for the rest of the season. Our squad isn't strong enough to see this through 46 games.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:20 pm

Lets hope not, the way you've cheated the system, there's no way you deserve success.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:24 pm

- Sawyers in the hole behind Westcarr or another striker.
- Leave the 4-3-3 to be played away from home regardless of the opposition.
- Baxendale will be ruined played wide.

I don't disagree with your general sentiments here, but we're starting to fall into this trap of assuming it's a case of Featherstone or Sawyers and nothing in between. In hindsight, Sawyers would have probably made us a bit more potent in the final third yesterday, but the manner of Tuesday's win made it nigh on impossible for Smith to drop anyone. Couple that with the fact that we were playing one of the best sides in the league, and it's not that difficult to sympathise with Smith for ticking with three across the middle.

As has already been said, Featherstone was streets ahead of any other Walsall player yesterday, yet you want to drop him? For me, it's Mantom who would be dropping out after yesterday, but given that we're away next week, I should think we'll remain unchanged.

People seem all too keen to make out all is wrong in the world when we lose. The fact is, we weren't that bad yesterday, but were beaten by a stronger side, who'll beat most other teams in our division.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:55 pm

aaaae wrote:

?? He was the best player on the park yesterday.

His performance yesterday was perfectly good, he did what he does well. That being said, I personally don't think his 'job' provides enough attacking quality alongside Chambers and Mantom specifically when we play at home. He played well in a 1-0 defeat that could have been so much different had we played Sawyers, with him being sacrificed. Don't get me wrong this isn't a vendetta against Featherstone, it's just a case of 'what we have is okay, but I'm frustrated because it could easily be so much more' with a simple swap over of player and formation. The reason I name Featherstone as the player who has to be dropped is because, I feel he doesn't offer much going forward (in that case Sawyers should play) and it was Featherstone who was correctly dropped midway through last season as our central midfield, when it consisted of him and Chambers was far too lightweight - so he doesn't offer enough defensively as part of a 2. I think Mantom adds more attackingly and defensively.

I personally have been impressed with Mantom so far, he's done far better this season than I thought he would in an attacking role. He dragged a shot yesterday, scored and hit the woodwork against Swindon, hit the post at Colchester, scored vs Rotherham etc. Given that we don't and won't score enough goals from a central striking position we will need the midfielders to look like contributing and in fairness he and Hemmings/Baxendale to an extent have done so. If you drop Mantom and keep Featherstone, will Chambers replace the shots/chances/goals Mantom has this season? I don't think so, I can only remember him scoring once for us and can only remember Featherstone having 1 shot (which hit the bar at Crewe).

As I said, I like Featherstone but he thinks he adds very little at home either attackingly or defensively as part of a 2. I think sacrificing him will bring Sawyers (who deserves a chance to play consistently) will help improve our home form a little. We played like that vs Stevenage and won. Whilst Stevenage may be a poor side overall they are also in top form at the moment with 4 wins in 5 and the only defeat against us!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:08 pm

I think you're missing the point with Featherstone. Attacking and defending aren't defined in the black and white way of simply scoring goals and making tackles. There's much more to it than that, which is why Featherstone has been just as influential in games where we've put our opposition to the sword (Swindon and Crewe) as he has in games where we've had to grind things out (Wolves and Rotherham).

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:12 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:I think you're missing the point with Featherstone. Attacking and defending aren't defined in the black and white way of simply scoring goals and making tackles. There's much more to it than that, which is why Featherstone has been just as influential in games where we've put our opposition to the sword (Swindon and Crewe) as he has in games where we've had to grind things out (Wolves and Rotherham).

It's less to do directly with Featherstone's influence and more based on the fact that Sawyers is our best attacking player when he plays well in the hole, in my opinion anyway. I'd sacrifice any of our attackers except Hemmings to get Sawyers in the team in his best position at the moment. Westcarr, Hewitt, Baxendale, Gray etc. At home we should be looking to beat teams and the team we played yesterday didn't look like beating anybody. I may be wrong, but until we get Sawyers consistently playing at home we won't know what could have been.

Hereforawhile

Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:15 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Lets hope not, the way you've cheated the system, there's no way you deserve success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULmQbXXc4zA

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:18 pm

Hereforawhile wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Lets hope not, the way you've cheated the system, there's no way you deserve success.

No defence of cheating the salary cap? Shame.

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:21 pm

Hereforawhile wrote:

Remind me where Coventry are in the league table again?

Hereforawhile

Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:23 pm

Andy_Petterson wrote:
Hereforawhile wrote:

Isn't it 4th? Ah, no, we were cheated out of that.

JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:46 pm

Hereforawhile wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:
Hereforawhile wrote:

:lol:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:13 pm

Hereforawhile wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:
Hereforawhile wrote:

Irony - or just denial?

Andy_Petterson
Glitterati

Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:34 pm

Hereforawhile wrote:
Andy_Petterson wrote:
Hereforawhile wrote:

Nope, its 13th. Looks like as far as league one goes you'll be hereforawhile.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:51 pm

Hereforawhile wrote:

You really need to stop beating yourself up.

Coventry City

• 01 Murphy – ex Scunthorpe
• 18 Phillips – 19 year old ACADEMY player – played 4 league games
• 03 Adams – signed after a loan deal from Sunderland – other loans included Brentford, Charlton, Northampton
• 06 Thomas - came through the ACADEMY
• 04 Webster – 31 year old from Hearts
• 24 Clarke – came through the ACADEMY
• 08 Baker - probably on lower end Championship salary
• 07 Fleck – from Rangers
• 09 Clarke - on lower end Championship salary
• 20 Wilson – through the ACADEMY – 26 games
• 14 Moussa – previously played for those high flying clubs Wycombe, Doncaster and Chesterfield.

Substitutes

• 13 Burge – ACADEMY – 0 league games
• 16 Barton – 30 games – bought from high flying PNE
• 17 Daniels – (used as a sub) - 11 games – ACADEMY player
• 21 Loza – 28 day loan youth deal from Norwich
• 25 Urquhart – 21 year old, just signed from Rangers
• 30 Garner – ACADEMY player – 2 league games
• 31 Haynes – ACADEMY – 0 league games

Injured

- Willis – ACADEMY player - 14 league games
- Christie – came through the ACADEMY

Rest of the Squad

- Haynes – ACADEMY – 1 league game
- Lobjoit – ACADEMY – 0 league games
- Maund – ACADEMY – 0 league games
- Rankin – ACADEMY – 0 league games
- Gott - ACADEMY – 0 league games

Tight game - could have gone either way.

Good luck for the rest of the season. Our squad isn't strong enough to see this through 46 games.

HA HA HA HA HA. Good one. So what you're saying is that you're still paying Championship wages despite having the lowest crowds in the division and next-to-no commercial revenue outside of ticket sales? Whereas teams like Walsall and Shrewsbury - whose turnover is way in excess of Coventry's - have to make do with small squads of former youth team players, loanees and free transfers from the likes of Hereford, Rochdale and Wycombe, because we stick to the wage cap and pay our debts. Keep digging that hole.

PreviousNext
Return to 2013-14 Season